Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    With Virtual Reality I am sure it may happen sometime in future, whether close future or distant is unkown.
    -K

E-Sports won't be on the olympics any time soon. Basicly cause games are still developing way to fast to say that game will be good enough to last atleast 100 years. I think current pro gammers are pioneers in an area that could become big in the future. E-sports is growing each year just look at the projects of Dreamhack and MLG for example. Hell I remember IEM having only 1 main stage and 1 smaller stage at gamescom last year and this year there where 2 main stages and it looked just as crowded if not more crowded eventhough there was more space used for the event. I think we can expect more and more events comming on TV when time goes on. But we are way to far of to make E-Sports part of the olympics cause the market still changes to fast gamming wise.

And yes I see gaming as a sport try playing starcraft 2 at the highest level and u will see how exhausting it is physicly and menthally.

I think we've got a ways to go before the Olympics consider eSports as a viable candidate. We need to develop a stable industry (paying jobs, agencies, etc.), change mainstream opinion of competitive gaming, form eSports regulatory bodies, and host recognizable national/international leagues. 2020 is much too soon for this to happen, but I'm confident eSports will overtake traditional sports in the not-so-distant-future. We'll mostly be inhibited by social opinion since people are generally close-minded when it comes to new concepts. Oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by Drifted View Post
    You might want to stop before making yourself look more foolish. Nordic combined doesn't rely on physique? Or ski jumping? Ye they just slide the slope and hope at the correct time. Doesn't take much physique. And you need pretty good physical condition to hold gun/bow steady while aiming. Not something a guy with arms like wet noodles can do. On few of those I might agree they require little to none physical training but mostly you were just spewing total nonsense.

On topic I would never say "never". Cause you really can't foresee 500 years forward. But seeing e-sports in Summer Olympics 2020? Yeah riiiiight... In best cases the main stream might equate it with chess. Do you happen to see chess in current olympics? No I didn't think so.
    I'm doing the exact same thing people do who say that eSports don't require 'physique' or training, it's funny that things like that only go one way...

the only thing people do physicly when ski jumping/shooting is either a) jump b) move your finger c) open your hand...
    Also have you seen the bows that are used for archery?They weigh a whopping, omg people with noodle arms can't ever lift this ungodly amount, 2kg... And they use 'clickers' so that once the bow is drawn there's no more tension on the drawing hand. (they also have loads of stabilisers)
    The rifles are really heavy at 6,5kg.

Ofcourse those athletes work out to be the best they can be because they're the elite of whatever sport they practice. Having that 0.1% less body fat as a skijumper might actually make a difference since it makes you that much more aerodynamic.

But the exact same thing goes for e-sports having that fitter body can make them sweat less meaning they won't slip and hit the wrong key or w/e.

I don't see it happening in the next few hundred years.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grable View Post
    I don't see it happening in the next few hundred years.
    50-100 years most likely not, but in 100+ years possibly, who is to say no? People would of never said we would fly at speeds such as this, or visit the space but if they did they were instantly told "well its never going to happen, or maybe in 1000 years" 100 years ago ...
    -K

as hilarious as it would be to see a WoW tournament at the olympics...no. esports will never be in the olympics UNLESS there truly is a future as shown in the movie Idiocracy.

Deleted
    To be honest, are esports even that big outside korea/US? It seems like most of the tourneys are held in those two places..while numerous olympic sport tourneys are held pretty much all over the world

Well, I dont think it will happen in my life time.

I dont think you can go gaming=sports either. I wouldent class golf or chess as a sport either, they dont really sweat mm?

I am impressed by the Koreans SC skils trough, and Im sure arena wow tourments has something good.

Deleted
    I don't like it when people call the playing of a computer game an e-sport. It is a game, not a sport. Why do you even feel the need to call it a sport? So you can tell your mom that you are doing sports? I don't get it. It's a game.

This is something a long the lines of what I think of when I hear the phrase mental toughness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CiYEksYQq0

Not this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hs-6zJxYRI

Yeah, Hell Week is a pretty extreme example. But, to me, so is considering Starcraft to be mental toughening. There are a lot of things that are "mentally tough". Driving in grid lock for an hour and a half every day. Dealing with bills when your job doesn't pay shit, and barely making it by every single month. There are a huge amount of examples to draw from. Somehow, I just don't see some bench warming computer player being any mentally tougher than anyone who has been down on their luck, let alone some of the athletes out there, and what they have to give up in their lives to do what they do.

And yes, there are plenty of bullshit olympic sports already. Outside of the pressures of competition, I somehow doubt that marksmanship is something that pushes your mind to go beyond the limits of what your body wants you to endure. Esport competitions are fine. I just don't want to be aroudn when people start actually thinking that they are some extreme grueling scenario. I get the feeling that working towards admission to an Ivy League school is "just as" grueling as someone playing Starcraft all day long.

Hmmm, well this thought never crossed my mind until i read about it in our newspapers (the largest one in the country) and wanted to hear your opinion. Guess there will be no game @ olympics, which is completely fine with me.

I am amazed at how many people don't even know what eSports are since they've thrown in "wii and kinect" topics. Not all games can be eSports. Right now we have SC2 that is replacing BW in South Korea (even though China is trying to keep it alive) and LoL which is the other big name. CS:GO might be another name in the future if the scene develops quite well. I read about people saying "playing 10+ hours a day is not that hard" and you're right if we are talking about WoW or some random console game. Try training SC:BW or SC2 for 10+ hours a day with no stopping, apart from bio breaks, 99.99% of people (0.1% are korean pros) can't even handle 5+ hours non-stop, because it is such a draining game on the mental aspect and it exhausts so much. And don't bring WoW arenas in, classes aren't even properly balanced to be considered an eSport (SC2 and LoL aren't 100%, but MUCH more than WoW).
    Real tanks don't use that foo foo magic stuff...we use steel and harsh language.

My faith in humanity before WotLK : ------|---
    after : -|--------

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Exroyal View Post
    If eSports become like huge in the next 10 years and starts being used the olympics, is there a possibility of schools "teaching" gaming in the future?

There is speculation going on that we will see eSport games at the olympics as soon as 2020! Do you think it will happen or is it just pure bs?

Personally i would like to see gaming being something featured at the Olympics, i mean they have tons of sports featured at the olympics which i didnt even know fell under the category of sports.
    You're making incredible leaps for eSports. An Olympic event? It's not that kind of sport. eSports should find their own way. The global SC2 community needs more focus on players atm. too many tournaments atm. there needs to be a main tournament for people to stand out. having 3-4 tournaments a month dilutes the pool of players.

Just because you can train at it doesn't mean it should be considered an Olympic sport. Is that your only argument, that since people can train and it exhausts you it should be considered an Olympic sport?

10+ Year Old Account
    Guys if curling made it then who the hell knows what's next.
    Hey everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    Guys if curling made it then who the hell knows what's next.
    Have you ever tried curling? That shit's tough.

15+ Year Old Account
    I feel like the whole topic is spoiled because the OP made an olympics reference..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    I feel like the whole topic is spoiled because the OP made an olympics reference..
    I understand that the title is actually quite misleading. I think if it were to become huge then they would have one extremely big event in a different location each year with as many professional level games as possible. SC would at the rate it's going still be the most popular with LoL or some fighting game in second. I could actually see this being a huge event going through each continent with the exception of Australasia due to horrible laws there plus there wouldn't be a big turnout I would assume unlike other places.

If you take the Olympics out of this I think there will one day be a huge event designed just for Pro gaming to occur but with many different professional level games. There could be a whole MOBA section for DOTA 2, LoL, etc. There could also be an FPS section... So on, so on.
    Hey everyone

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    I understand that the title is actually quite misleading. I think if it were to become huge then they would have one extremely big event in a different location each year with as many professional level games as possible. SC would at the rate it's going still be the most popular with LoL or some fighting game in second. I could actually see this being a huge event going through each continent with the exception of Australasia due to horrible laws there plus there wouldn't be a big turnout I would assume unlike other places.

If you take the Olympics out of this I think there will one day be a huge event designed just for Pro gaming to occur but with many different professional level games. There could be a whole MOBA section for DOTA 2, LoL, etc. There could also be an FPS section... So on, so on.
    Problem with eSports now is there is like 10 tournaments that few can actually follow. There needs to be 1 real global league that everyone can get behind. The challenge is being able to pay players and have them support such a league.