Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Who cares, the world is just packed full of people.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefrog View Post
    Who cares? It's a F2P game, so the only measure of success it can have is how many concurrent playing users it has that are able to buy stuff from the shops.
    Exactly,

Actually GW2 could have 15M player, if not a single one spend a single $ on their shop, that won't help you in any way.

If you look at a subscription based MMO, more player mean more revenue, mean more content for you (or should mean, wow has surprised me with that but well that's another topic).

For a f2p, more player will only yield more content if there is a real intensive to spend cash or the shop. Or they'll have to release new expansion at a fast pace to assure long term viability.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    I answered it already above. In EU they added 3 servers, that's 10% increase compared to the launch.

So 1.5 million is my rather good guess for NOW and it was based on many factors like SWTOR, potential of the market and server numbers.

No need to come up with 4.5 Million Aion numbers again... That number could be proven wrong by simply looking at the server numbers, like we can do now

Once they'll double server numbers, you might get away with 3-4 million... Not sooner.
    Since they have the ability to increase server capacity in addition to the ability to increase the number of servers, that's not an accurate method of determining the number of users.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Easily 4 million players, obviously Anet wouldnt want tell anyone that its had the biggest and most successful mmo release in history....

Quote Originally Posted by tlacoatl View Post
    they also increased the size of every server already in existance
    You know I have to laugh each time I see this coming from any new MMORPG with a single server capacity.

The famous "they upped the server capacity".

Now hear this boys: the overall SERVER CAPACITY is almost set in STONE before launch, like the engine, the graph modes, etc...

You can NOT up those numbers without disturbing a LOT of variables in your game.

Lag, server response times, graphics limitations, data transfer , these LIMITS are even set WAYYYYY before launch.

So stop please with these things that show up every time again and again and again.

-------------------------------------------------

--- Another confirmed number showed up btw.

400K concurrent. That's an interesting number...

As the concurent figure is around 1/3- 1/4 active players for any NEW game (older games have way less like 1/5 or even 1/6, in EVE you can watch that number every night btw and it is around 1/6 for that older game), it again shows the number would be around 1.5 million at the moment.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2012-09-04 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lopk View Post
    I'll agree with the first part of your sentence.

4.5 seems really high, but the guy you quoted did the math and it's right so something's up.

Ohhhh, I didn't realize that the number was given before the karma incident. Makes more sense now.
    He didnt made the math right.

there is no chance that 4.5M players are playing.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowCrafter View Post
    The difference is arenanet have to do a good job and make a great product to attact new clients where blizzard can release shit and people will still buy it. Cata and D3 says hi.
    D3 is amazing :S But why in this thread ??

You know I have to laugh each time I see this coming from any new MMORPG with a single server capacity.

The famous "they upped the server capacity".

Now hear this boys: the overall SERVER CAPACITY is almost set in STONE before launch, like the engine, the graph modes, etc...

You can NOT up those numbers without disturbing a LOT of variables in your game.

Lag, server response times, graphics limitations, data transfer , these LIMTS are even set WAYYYYY before launch.

So stop please with these things that show up every time again and again and again.

-------------------------------------------------

--- Another confirmed number showed up btw.

400K concurrent. That's an interesting number...

As the concurent figure is around 1/3- 1/4 active players for any NEW game (older games have way less like 1/5 or even 1/6, in EVE you can watch that number every night btw and it is around 1/6 for that older game), it again shows the number would be around 1.5 million at the moment.
    1) they have said they can change server capacity easily...and though we don't have a huge amount of information about their infrastructure, based on what we do know that's easily believed.

2) That 400k concurrent number is based off 1M prepurchasers during the headstart, we don't have updated information since then. And 400k/1M = 40%, not 1/3-1/4.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    1) they have said they can change server capacity easily...and though we don't have a huge amount of information about their infrastructure, based on what we do know that's easily believed.

2) That 400k concurrent number is based off 1M prepurchasers during the headstart, we don't have updated information since then. And 400k/1M = 40%, not 1/3-1/4.
    Well it is quite simple: they lie.... or ...

What they mean is probably that they can stock temporarely some players on some overflow servers to act as a gatekeeper to counter player loggings ... which btw is a quite nice technique !

But these overflow servers are of the SAME structure as their main servers (meaning the SAME limits and capacity) and they act as a very limited played "buffer".

Because ... in the end ... EVERYONE has his home server.

Can they UP their capacity? Well 1% is upping isn' it ?

Screwing up server capacity is an invite to a HUGE encounter of the third kind for any MMORPG.

Be reasonable: 1.5 M is already a HUGE number and this ain't SWTOR. This is another Fantasy MMORPG albeit without a subscription, so in the long run it can be very succesful in retaining 30% players.

But this MMO market has been known to not push numbers beyond 2M in the long run. Blizzard's game is not even an MMORPG in its market department.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2012-09-04 at 02:43 PM.

Well it is quite simple: they lie.... or ...

What they mean is probably that they can stock temporarely some players on some overflow servers to act as a gatekeeper to counter player loggings ... which btw is a quite nice technique !

But these overflow servers are of the SAME structure as their main servers (meaning the SAME limits and capacity) and they act as a very limited played "buffer".

Because ... in the end ... EVERYONE has his home server.

Can they UP their capacity? Well 1% is upping isn' it ?

Screwing up server capacity is an invite to a HUGE encounter of the third kind for any MMORPG.
    I think what is meant by upping server capacity is removing the artificial block on character creations on a server that exist close to launch to prevent people from flooding certain servers and making friends/guilds have to reroll because they didn't get their game on Day 1.

A lot of newer MMOs seem to be placing an artificial block on server (pulling number out my ass but lets say at 70% max server capacity) during launch because of the high number of online users, etc etc.

So while I can see unblocking max server capacity increasing the number of players, most of them should be unblocked by now and using new server popups might be a good way to quickly judge the amount of concurrent users.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    at least 4m since they said they banned 4k exploiters which was less than .001% of the population, 4000 * 1000 = 4m

probably around 4.5m
    Sounds about right.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Sounds about right.
    If 4000 is .001% the correct amount of people would be 400 Millons, which clearly they dont have.

So no, it doesnt sounds about right in any way.

For this same reason i highly doubt that any oficial source has said that 4k players were 0.001%.
    Last edited by Crashdummy; 2012-09-04 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    You make me laugh. EVERY company in the universe has only one goal. TO MAKE AS MUCH MONEY AS POSSIBLE. Arenanet is of course no exception, and they are not focusing on making their product better, whatever that means, but on doing the biggest amount of money. The fact that they are not doing it in a stupid matter doesn't change a thing. Arenanet doesn't love YOU, they love MONEY. Wake up, right?

As for smoothness, I don't know, is the AH up yet?

I think you're wrong. Many people, spending lots of money on that shop will make them create more content, on a faster pace. Having people only hitting the game and going their way, will make them shrink teams, fire people and do shit.
    Funny i never said arenanet wasn't out to make money. How you came upon this conclution i have no idea. Making money is the basis of any company. Arenanet has their way of making money like any company. To be honest you make me laugh as you assume i think any gaming company loves me or what the hell thats supposed to mean. My comments are directed at the product they have put forth. As for the AH being up i am glad its not up yet. I would rather they hold off and do it right than put out a crap system thats broken. Yeah arenanet wants my money. But at least they are going about things the right way and not pushing out broken crap.

Sounds about right.
    Yeah, that quote is just too funny. I hope his math teacher reads this!

10+ Year Old Account
    My guess would be around the 1.5m - 2m mark. I don't think it is as high as 2m at this moment in time.

All we can do is guess, any answer you see in this thread is a guess, until Anet release some more info.

---------- Post added 2012-09-04 at 04:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    at least 4m since they said they banned 4k exploiters which was less than .001% of the population, 4000 * 1000 = 4m

probably around 4.5m
    you got math skills bro

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Damnitbobby View Post
    they are going about things the right way and not pushing out broken crap.
    Cannot fully agree with this statement. They skipped an open beta phase that was desperately needed. *points at trading post*
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Guessing 2million.
    Based on?
    Nothing, just an estimate.

Cannot fully agree with this statement. They skipped an open beta phase that was desperately needed. *points at trading post*
    And also points out at Rangers pets losing their names all the freaking time. I have renamed my pets about 100 times already to set the same name on them.

I'm sure they will fix the bugs, i'm startig to worry about the time is taking them because i would love to start working on new content as soon as posible but not before these bugs are fixed.

2 million is my guess. It's not a bad number, the question remains if they can gather new players faster than the old ones leave. I don't think any MMO can say that right now.

Also, all XFire's list of popular games seems to show is what games LoL and CoD players are playing right now instead of LoL or CoD. Your average MMO player has no use for XFire. All their MMO friends are already in-game.

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    Could you be anymore defensive?
    yeah sorry if I sounded off at you in particular its just that I see these kinda names / handles get used way to much and they just irritate me. Was not meant to be aimed at you in particular.