Poll: Are you forever alone ?

Page 31 of 43 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Once upon a time chastity was a given. Ask your grandparents.
    Women could easily go through 4-5 marriage proposals before getting married.
    Those marriages did not see divorce as an answer.
    They lived good lives and stayed together through thick and thin.

Nowadays, chastity is not the norm.
    People get confused and do not know if they want love or just a warm body to hold.
    They may think they want one thing, but will honestly take nearly anything.
    Divorce is high.
    Single-parent households are common.
    Most of us (and some of our parents) are unlikely to celebrate a golden anniversary.

TLDR; Is sex/one night stands possibly clouding society's head and preventing good, long, relationships?

not in a relationship but i have a special buddy if you get my meaning lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nayelie View Post
    Once upon a time chastity was a given. Ask your grandparents.
    Women could easily go through 4-5 marriage proposals before getting married.
    Those marriages did not see divorce as an answer.
    They lived good lives and stayed together through thick and thin.

Nowadays, chastity is not the norm.
    People get confused and do not know if they want love or just a warm body to hold.
    They may think they want one thing, but will honestly take nearly anything.
    Divorce is high.
    Single-parent households are common.
    Most of us (and some of our parents) are unlikely to celebrate a golden anniversary.

TLDR; Is sex/one night stands possibly clouding society's head and preventing good, long, relationships?
    Not sure, but statistically more children are growing up in single parent homes than ever before. I grew up with similar values; my parents have been married 36+ years, and my brother and sister are both happily married with kids for at least 10 years each. Throwing away the divorce key from the beginning was a cornerstone of their marriages. Up, down, easy, hard, they were committed to making it work no matter what. Whenever they couldn't figure something out in the relationship, they promised to seek help. I know my parents still have a marriage counselor they see when shit hits the fan, which it does, because they were terrible for each other when they got married. They fought and struggled but never gave up. Now they love each other deeply, despite the massive gap between their personalities. I agree society has embraced many unhealthy trends, one of those being that we can always do things on our own, and outside help is for the weak.

Edit: had to count how old my siblings were to figure out how long the folks had been married :P
    Last edited by Letmesleep; 2012-09-15 at 08:21 PM.

Yes, I am a forever alone. I prefer being alone so I can do what I want to do. Although I have a girlfriend right now (I only see her the week ends and I'm pretty lucky to have one though), I only have one true friend and even there I dont see him really often because we live in different cities. Most of the time I am alone, playing video games, reading books, jogging and going to my classes. I consider that I look quite like a normal person, although I've been told in the past that I am pretty attractive. At my job, a lady even tipped me because she said I had a nice butt for a guy. I lol'ed quite a lot about this one. But yea, I prefer to do my things by myself most of the time and I dont really care if I'm forever alone.
    Last edited by Prifter; 2012-09-15 at 08:48 PM.

Deleted
    Here's one from a female perspective:

Sometimes it feels like i'll be a forever alone, but realistically I'll most likely find someone. The same goes for all of you. The question is: when?

I've been single for just over a year, for the first long period of time since I was 16. (Now 25). Relationships just fell into place and generally lasted for around a year each. My last relationship was over 3 years long. I suppose because it's always just 'happened' before, I haven't really tried looking for another guy... I don't really know how to, since I've never had to do it. Perhaps I'm setting my standards too high - some guys have tried to get close, but there was no initial attraction so rather than leading them on, I didn't take it any further.

I don't have a 'type' as such, rather it's a mixture of a lot of things that can make a person attractive as a whole. I believe that's the same for any female. Personally, I'd rather be with a guy that's hairy and on the chunky side who can hold an intelligent conversation and happy to spend time playing games together (or at least accepting of my hobby - playing WoW, raiding a few nights a week), than some wannabe Adonis with a six pack and the IQ of a stick, who spends all of his spare time at the gym and expects me to go with him instead of doing what I like to do. But hey, some women would go for the Adonis. Each to their own.

I'd say I'm fairly average when it comes to the looks department - sure, I'm overweight, but some guys love that! (I also make up for that in other areas such as having a decent education and career prospects, sick sense of humour, giving great head and being a pretty damn good healer... in that order.)

So for now I'll sit and wait for it to happen all over again, because there's got to be someone out there for everyone and it'll happen when I least expect it, right? ...Right...?

Edit: Better add a picture for reference, I suppose. Hi to anyone that knows me and happens to be reading this thread. http://imgur.com/sQDKX
    Last edited by mmocae096d01de; 2012-09-15 at 08:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flicky View Post
    I must say you are my sort of woman.

10+ Year Old Account
    Perhaps I'm setting my standards too high - some guys have tried to get close, but there was no initial attraction so rather than leading them on, I didn't take it any further.
    I'm going to snip your post a bit; hope that's ok. They'll be thankful for that in the long run. Both of you are better off by being up front like that.

some wannabe Adonis with a six pack and the IQ of a stick
    You can have both a six pack and a high IQ It doesn't have to be one or the other.

(I also make up for that in other areas such as having a decent education and career prospects, sick sense of humour, giving great head and being a pretty damn good healer... in that order.)
    Some of that information was...unnecessary. I'm not sure why some women, particularly a few in this thread, link their sexual prowess to their value as a person. They aren't related. You can be decent person and suck at sex, and also a smoldering piece of human wreckage while being king/queen of fornication. I realize you weren't saying sex is the totality of who you are, but you have nothing to prove. Your value as a person stands outside your oral capabilities. This is a faulty mentality seeming shared by both sexes these days: What I look like, how I perform in bed, and how many people I've gotten freaky with determines my value. It needs to die. Btw, I don't think you're a bad person in any way, I'm just using you as an example since you brought that up.

So for now I'll sit and wait for it to happen all over again, because there's got to be someone out there for everyone and it'll happen when I least expect it, right? ...Right...?
    I'm sure it will, and yes, I firmly believe there is someone for everyone. If Danny freaking DeVito can get married, so can everyone else. Good luck.

Deleted
    I would pretty much always prefer a man who works out and has a muddled morality than a man with a heart of gold and doesn't work out. I ask myself this question: who would I want to wake up with. I would much prefer a man who I know can defend me in times of peril than a man who cowers at the mere sight of trouble. This isn't to say, of course, that I can't look after myself. There's no use pretending though, I'm never going to be able to defend myself against burglars, I need a strong man for that.

Besides, there's nothing more pleasing than hugging into a man's chest when they're strong and fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarissaxoxo View Post
    I would pretty much always prefer a man who works out and has a muddled morality than a man with a heart of gold and doesn't work out. I ask myself this question: who would I want to wake up with. I would much prefer a man who I know can defend me in times of peril than a man who cowers at the mere sight of trouble. This isn't to say, of course, that I can't look after myself. There's no use pretending though, I'm never going to be able to defend myself against burglars, I need a strong man for that.
    Erm... if someone isn't physically very strong that doesn't automatically make them a coward.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Erm... if someone isn't physically very strong doesn't automatically make them a coward.
    Granted, but I would rather not risk it.

10+ Year Old Account
    yes because i prefer freedom over love.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Gaga View Post
    Pfft, ugliness is never an issue. You just need personality and desire to change things.
    This !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Clarissaxoxo View Post
    Granted, but I would rather not risk it.
    Take this from a man. Men who would not protect their loved ones are a minority, regardless of their physical fitness. I don't see a risk here but an excuse.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Letmesleep View Post
    You can have both a six pack and a high IQ It doesn't have to be one or the other.
    - I'm aware of that. Simply using two opposites for a simple comparison, don't analyze it too deeply. Having a six pack and high IQ doesn't automatically make you a decent person either, although you know that already.

Quote Originally Posted by Letmesleep View Post
    Some of that information was...unnecessary.
    - It was a tongue-in-cheek joke. I wouldn't actually list it as a quality of mine (except for at job interviews, obviously). Perhaps it came across as being serious, in which case I apologise for any confusion it may have caused.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Some people want to be alone, others do not ... I suspect that is the difference.

Yeah - I'm going on 8 years here, getting less and less likely that it will change no matter how much I want it to.

26 here excluding things as a kid(12 in that case) but we're talking 13- here.

10+ Year Old Account
    - I'm aware of that. Simply using two opposites for a simple comparison, don't analyze it too deeply. Having a six pack and high IQ doesn't automatically make you a decent person either, although you know that already.
    True statement.

- It was a tongue-in-cheek joke. I wouldn't actually list it as a quality of mine (except for at job interviews, obviously). Perhaps it came across as being serious, in which case I apologise for any confusion it may have caused.
    Alright, fair enough. Good luck with that interview :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy2er View Post
    I just feel like I should chime in and say this thread is hilarious.

From the guy saying he's got a waifu from the front page, to the guys claiming men are persecuted for not having a foot long dick or whatever, to those who are those who've given up making excuses and are just mildly depressed. Makes for one hell of a thread on the biggest forum for train wrecks on the web.

I think 4 chan and sankaku would like a word with you...ih and danny choo and those are just sites in my circles. Nope this site if anything has among the most stable batch of people i've seen on a fan forum(note i said stable not necessarily nicest). Still count myself among the Sankaku though i don't get there as much anymore.

Deleted
    Take this from a man. Men who would not protect their loved ones are a minority, regardless of their physical fitness. I don't see a risk here but an excuse.
    True, she is clearly into physical beauty, and that is fine. She has all the right too. But to say that a non gym rat could or will not defend his wife is false.

Although i have heard her comment about hugging a chest of a fit man argument before hehe

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Despite View Post
    True, she is clearly into physical beauty, and that is fine. She has all the right too. But to say that a non gym rat could or will not defend his wife is false.

Although i have heard her comment about hugging a chest of a fit man argument before hehe
    There's nothing wrong with this. I like someone who attends the gym but I don't want someone who takes medical enhancements or someone who spends a lifetime at a gym or spends the earth's fortunes to join one. That fortune should be spent on me (I'm joking). I do naturally think someone who is fit, works out, and is physically strong would do a better job defending me than the tech-guy who doesn't attend the gym, but still manages to keep a healthy lifestyle.

Deleted
    Men who would not protect their loved ones are a minority, regardless of their physical fitness. I don't see a risk here but an excuse.
    Everyone has to stand up for him/herself.