Quote Originally Posted by 1001 View Post
    From the subreddit

my god the man has aged poorly since this started lol

he looked 30 years younger last time I saw him

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    That’s just silly though, I mean, I can agree that some people’s expectations for what this project might eventually turn out are a little unrealistic, however, I wouldn’t call the project itself a “fantasy”, nor a “scam”, they already proven to be sinking a lot of money and work into it, I also don’t agree with this “eternal development” or “sudden collapse” kind of crap, it’s just ridiculous, shit just ends, one way or another, I do believe in the possibility that Chris might be overshooting a this just as he has done previously with Freelancer, and that in worst case scenario it will just happen the same that it did with it, a big company will take over, set some boundaries and get the game out…
    Of course it's silly, that's what I was going for I'm just having a laugh at MrSensitive.

Although, I don't think that it's far wrong to call the project a fantasy. Which is not to say it is a pretend project, just that it is a pipedream. If one thinks about what they claimed they could do for $23 million then they were clearly in fantasy land.

That’s just silly though, I mean, I can agree that some people’s expectations for what this project might eventually turn out are a little unrealistic, however, I wouldn’t call the project itself a “fantasy”, nor a “scam”, they already proven to be sinking a lot of money and work into it, I also don’t agree with this “eternal development” or “sudden collapse” kind of crap, it’s just ridiculous, shit just ends, one way or another, I do believe in the possibility that Chris might be overshooting a this just as he has done previously with Freelancer, and that in worst case scenario it will just happen the same that it did with it, a big company will take over, set some boundaries and get the game out…

Hang on, you serious?
    lol is it photo shopped?

idk i don't see the guy

No idea how old he is either

No, that's not an actual picture of him, it's shooped (and not even a good edit at that). Let's not share stuff like that, please, at least not without calling out that it's an altered image.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

No, that's not an actual picture of him, it's shooped (and not even a good edit at that). Let's not share stuff like that, please, at least not without calling out that it's an altered image.
    lol that's more what i would have expected

It's on the picture itself, "faceapp", it's one of those silly apps that alter pictures.
    I don't keep up with all the apps the hip young kids use nowadays, there are too many of them and they change too quickly. And apparently I'm not alone given some of the other responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    To be fair, it does also say Alpha 35.0 on the picture.

It matters because that’s how it was originally fucking advertised as when people started paying for it ._. If you are going to advertise something you selling as unique, limited or whatever just to keep selling more down the road, regardless of your excuse for it, you are bound to be called on it.

Also, if you are that sure about it, feel free to find me a source of Blizzard stating it.

…they could still use crowdfunding? Don’t get me wrong, I don’t necessarily have anything against crowdfunding itself, and yes, how they deal with the project is totally up to them, just as the decision of financing it or not is up to each backer, what I disagree here is the part of threating this as if this was the only way to do it, which is not, lots of other companies out there that have been themselves up from pretty much nothing, I’m not saying it’s easy, or quick, I’m just saying the options were there.

But I entirely agree that SC is too much of a risk… is trying to be too much, at the same time, right out of the bat, on what is arguably a niche market, and regardless of the outcome of it, it will be remembered for ages.
    there was 12 ships in total to buy in the kickstarter, idris and starfarer are the largest so the ships that were supposed to be exclusive to long term backers are still very exclusive and they have LTI on those ships where you cant really get LTI on any ship you want now since its usually new concepts only, long term backers are still getting more but it at least gives newer players a chance to get a ship with LTI these days.

I dont really believe the advantages of having a better ship will make all that much difference in the big picture, a freelancer is probably going to be the first ship people aim for longer jumps and it should only take a few days to earn one in game.

The sort of player consequences i want is say you blow someone up in high sec space and you get the first lvl of crim status, you should get some basic fighter patrols chasing you down anywhere in the space, the higher you go in criminal status the more advanced the patrol ships until you have huge gunships chasing you down, all the while players issuing beacons to kill you also so anyone can take the mission, your ships is gonna blow up alot in SC no matter what your going to do.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post
    From imminent collapse fantasies to eternal development ones.

We've gone full circle now.
    I guess your not aware they are mostly the same thing?
    Games get stuck in development until they run out of money and collapse.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    I guess your not aware they are mostly the same thing?
    Games get stuck in development until they run out of money and collapse.
    Not necessarily, that could be true in the old-school model of game dev/publishing but not with crowdfunding, open development or GaaS model.

If you can keep showcasing progress and keep your community engaged you can in theory develop forever.

Sure money can slow down, but dev's can also reduce scope and release a smaller version and try to use that money as leverage to build the rest of their vision.

There's plenty of games who are rushed and die a quick death and others who can adapt and keep going.
    Last edited by MrAnderson; 2019-07-17 at 03:36 PM.

Not necessarily, that could be true in the old-school model of game dev/publishing but not with crowdfunding, open development or GaaS model.

If you can keep showcasing progress and keep your community engaged you can in theory develop forever.

Sure money can slow down, but dev's can also reduce scope and release a smaller version and try to use that money as leverage to build the rest of their vision.

There's plenty of games who are rushed and die a quick death and others who can adapt and keep going.
    YOu say that like their funding model isn't selling models in a non existent game with no real sign you're ever gonna play what was promised lol

Nothing has been delivered that is even remotely impressive. None of it matters until you see a hundred players running around you in draw and the server not melting. Then it's an MMO. If combat feels good, it'll be a good action MMO. They are soooooo far from that every time i look.

They gain more funds through developing what amount a very very small and inconsequential part of their game development. Oh that ship has a toilet, still a decade out from getting anything that was described by Chris.

And again it would be the most ambitious MMO of all time if he pulled it off. The guy known for falling short is gonna do it again we have the history here

Their funding model has been the same as many other crowdfunded games. No news there except so many gamers rallied up behind it that it grew exponentially. The game has been playable for years and updates are frequent. You might not find any of it impressive and that's ok, because enough do.

Hundreds of players like all the other tech hurdles is just a matter of time. Just like having a large enough playable area to acomodate a universe without loading screens or like having all those highly detailed ships spawning without chooking the server, getting people to walk inside the ships while they travel, landing on procedural moons and atmospheric planets, visiting cities, driving vehicles, customizing our characthers, buying gear, shooting weapons and so on...

You hold on there tight, waiting is not that difficult if you aproach it with the right perspective.

Their funding model has been the same as many other crowdfunded games. No news there except so many gamers rallied up behind it that it grew exponentially. The game has been playable for years and updates are frequent. You might not find any of it impressive and that's ok, because enough do.

Hundreds of players like all the other tech hurdles is just a matter of time. Just like having a large enough playable area to acomodate a universe without loading screens or like having all those highly detailed ships spawning without chooking the server, getting people to walk inside the ships while they travel, landing on procedural moons and atmospheric planets, visiting cities, driving vehicles, customizing our characthers, buying gear, shooting weapons and so on...

You hold on there tight, waiting is not that difficult if you aproach it with the right perspective.
    That's my point Mr Anderson they haven't even gotten the basics of an MMO yet and Chris is over here still selling the most ambitious MMO ever made with you pretending he's gonna deliver.

It's like waiting for Martin to finish ASOIAF, not gonna happen. And if it does we're alllll gonna wish it hadn't. Will be sad

Very, very few crowdfunded games sell items for years on end like Star Citizen.
    Most of them sell perks during the Kickstarter period and afterwards it tends to be pre-ordering at different tiers for alpha access, beta access and so on. See Dual Universe, Camelot Unchained, Elite etc

The only one I can think of that had a funding model like Star Citizen was Shroud of the Avatar. I think I'm right in saying that Garriot and Roberts used to work together at EA so perhaps their money seeking shouldn't come as any surprise
    Last edited by 1001; 2019-07-18 at 06:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mr. Anderson, just stop arguing with such bad faith actors that exercise hypocrisy and disingenuity as they create their strawmen and motte and baileys in such a disgustingly transparent veneer of concern trolling.

Fan: the devs say that ALL the dates are tentative and subject to change as they do not want to sacrifice on quality and they also received waaay more money than they initially thought they were going to get, so CR decided to expand on the original pitch of the game and so they extend the dev time when needed.
    Detractor: oh well it should already be out already! CR said that during the Kickstarter it would be out in 2014 but it has still not been fully released.
    Fan: well the devs even during the kickstarter still said that dates are subject to change and with the increase in game scope, having to hire more than the 8-12 devs they started with to over 5 studios in 3 countries, and for dev tools and pipeline to establish and mature took time.
    Detractor: well then they are just wasting money. they have over 300 million raised and still no release date, blah, blah, blah.

i mean they even go so far as to compare a game still in alpha with completed titles, haha. i mean it's so ludicrously absurd that you would think they must be joking, right? nope, they are dead serious. so yeah. just save yourself from carpal tunnel, unless of course you are a masochist and enjoying entertaining their drivel, then carry on.

they could literally bring up many cogent questions and discussion topics such as which alpha flight mode they most liked and why. or what they think of the current hover mode currently on the PTU. or what can be done to make hover bikes feel more visceral and less just "floaty" but more impacted by the terrain, air resistance and gravity. etc, etc. but nope it's the same tired old debunked to ad nauseum tropes. smh.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

Quote Originally Posted by Mukind View Post
    That's my point Mr Anderson they haven't even gotten the basics of an MMO yet and Chris is over here still selling the most ambitious MMO ever made with you pretending he's gonna deliver.

It's like waiting for Martin to finish ASOIAF, not gonna happen. And if it does we're alllll gonna wish it hadn't. Will be sad
    Well your point seems a bit ignorant about the development not only of Star Citizen but mmorpgs in general, also you seem to have made up your mind about being sad whatever the outcome so that's pretty much the end of it.

As for crowdfunding games, yes many sell items and benefits for higher pledges, it's how they reward backers for funding the development of the game they want. Money has to come from somewhere, if not from the community then private funding/publishers or exclusive deals (epic store).

For Star Citizen selling ships worked well enough to get them where they are now, and considering the growth of both funding, game and community I'd say they are doing A-Okay.

Compared with Elite or Dual Universe which had/have higher entry costs to be able to play the alpha and smaller testing periods made/make Star Citizen more appealing to back.

The fact of being so ambitious from the get go and having a charismatic figure with a strong pedigree surely helped too.

Having the alpha open for free fly weeks every year is also a nice bonus that most crowdfunded games don't dare/can't provide.
    Last edited by MrAnderson; 2019-07-18 at 11:22 AM.

7 years in dev and over 200 million dollars crowdfunded and basic features like that is still not finished

Quote Originally Posted by apelsinjuice View Post
    7 years in dev and over 200 million dollars crowdfunded and basic features like that is still not finished
    If you are refering to the bolded features they have been in game for a while now...

As for them being "basic" well I dunno about that considering the context.

Well your point seems a bit ignorant about the development not only of Star Citizen but mmorpgs in general, also you seem to have made up your mind about being sad whatever the outcome so that's pretty much the end of it.

As for crowdfunding games, yes many sell items and benefits for higher pledges, it's how they reward backers for funding the development of the game they want. Money has to come from somewhere, if not from the community then private funding/publishers or exclusive deals (epic store).

For Star Citizen selling ships worked well enough to get them where they are now, and considering the growth of both funding, game and community I'd say they are doing A-Okay.

Compared with Elite or Dual Universe which had/have higher entry costs to be able to play the alpha and smaller testing periods made/make Star Citizen more appealing to back.

The fact of being so ambitious from the get go and having a charismatic figure with a strong pedigree surely helped too.

Having the alpha open for free fly weeks every year is also a nice bonus that most crowdfunded games don't dare/can't provide.
    No your dreams about this being completed as described show you as ignorant

Both of Chris's career and where net code is in 2019 in video games, lol

The irony

Don't call others ignorant Mr. Anderson. When you are clearly very very ignorant.

This thread will not age well hahaha, idiot

Quote Originally Posted by Mukind View Post
    No your dreams about this being completed as described show you as ignorant

Both of Chris's career and where net code is in 2019 in video games, lol

The irony

Don't call others ignorant Mr. Anderson. When you are clearly very very ignorant.

This thread will not age well hahaha, idiot
    I don't know what's your take on "as described" but what I'm playing right now is already much more than when I backed. In insight my only regret is not backing sooner.
    If your expectations were skewed that could be due to ignorance or simple naiveness on how game development goes. Same as making up correlations about "Chris's career" and "where net code is in 2019 in video games". Whatever that means. The network tech they have been working for a while (server meshing and (server/client) has been explained multiple times that it involves a lot of work/time so it's a matter of being patient, just like all the other features that were "impossible" priorly and are now ingame.

Ironically, or not, the thread is ageing beautifully as it is with the game getting more updates, more players and ongoing funding.

Good times.