Quote Originally Posted by Uurdz View Post
    ITT: People raging about development, name calling etc
    Not ITT: Anything about the actual game.

Like, is this worth spending $45 to try out?
    Its definitely worth it but like someone stated and will state everytime: you can also wait for free flight events which are literally free for ANYONE. And during that time they give everyone a few ships to try out completely for free... even expensive ships. Last free flight i was in (im a backer tho) they gave us 890j which is the most expensive ship ingame right now thats flight-ready.

But bear in mind free flights usually stress the servers alot more than normally so there will be more crashes as people screw around with their free accounts.

If you dont mind throwing 45 pucks then you will get alot more stable experience when you try the game outside any events that attract more players.

I mean we are on WoW-forums and everyone knows WoW has had server issues too with big events... or people just raiding cities with 100's of characters on a single server and crashing the server as a result. Star Citizen isnt safe from that either. :P

Best way to experience SC is to join a corp and play in a group. Have fun with people who own bigger ships in a dedicated group doing more dangerous missions. (some missions are impossible in starter ships simply because the opposition is better equipped and with bigger ships. And flying bigger ships alone is also very bad idea since the pilot cant shoot any weapons so you NEED friends to use the weapon-systems which can be manned turrets or a weapons-station in the bridge)

Quote Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post
    Last time I checked 24/7 is different than 2/7. And there's no work when you're stating basic facts about a game you backed and play. Just because you seem to have something against enlightenment doesn't mean one would be stupid enough to ask if you are being paid to post so much about a game you don't play or own. Why are you so scared of seeing this game get developed anyway?
    Look you are the one that is making claims that the servers are stable. How stable are they? Do they randomly go down multiple times in a week? Multiple times in a day? Never? What is it? Enlighten us oh great one.

- - - Updated - - -

And there's no work when you're stating basic facts about a game you backed and play.
    Yeah sorry man you are the rare bird that backs a game and works this hard to defend it with nary a bad word to say about it. I've backed games in the past and I have no problem calling a spade a spade when it fits. At least you are willing to admit that SC does not provide "a solid polished gaming experience" which you said a few posts prior. That is a first.

Also if you can get 49 friends or org members and join together as a group you'll generate a new server which will be full and nobody else can enter making it your personal ORG private server. Until someone logs out/crashes that is.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Look you are the one that is making claims that the servers are stable. How stable are they? Do they randomly go down multiple times in a week? Multiple times in a day? Never? What is it? Enlighten us oh great one.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah sorry man you are the rare bird that backs a game and works this hard to defend it with nary a bad word to say about it. I've backed games in the past and I have no problem calling a spade a spade when it fits. At least you are willing to admit that SC does not provide "a solid polished gaming experience" which you said a few posts prior. That is a first.
    I said the statement "servers can't handle for 2 hours" is hyperbolic which it is. If server's were always crashing every 2 hours you wouldn't have so many streamers doing live sessions of 10+ hours or praising the game as the "best game available for 45$ bucks". Anyone who doesn't understand what it means to back and play games in development shouldn't get into them. Period. No alpha game in development will offer a "solid polished gaming experience" because that's not the priority when you're still creating the pieces for the global puzzle. Then again, many "officially released" games don't provide it either.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    So... what is currently a realistic best-guess scenario for a release date?
    They'll run out of money before releasing anything worthwhile. This cannot be salvaged without massive financial influx that i highly doubt people are willing to give anymore.

you wouldn't have so many streamers doing live sessions of 10+ hours or praising the game as the "best game available for 45$ bucks".
    So many? How many?

And lets be real, it's hardly an impartial metric when streamers are trying to get people to sign up using their referral code so they can benefit from the reward scheme CIG has in place.

Anyone saying that it is the best game available for $45 is an numpty. If it was the best game available why is it only the fanboys saying it? Why not people who have far more experience in reviewing games?
    Last edited by 1001; 2021-01-29 at 01:44 PM.

It seems very unlikely that this will ever release in the intended state. I would be shocked if this game doesn't get dialed down into the typical multi-server MMO setup years down the road, after it's become painfully clear that their magi-tech server meshing just isn't really a thing.

This game sounds like a start-up scam at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    I didnt say anything about being easy just that you saying its a magical system but it already exists in one form or another so its far from impossible.

We can already see gameplay footage so we dont need footages specifically from SQ42 so there is no need for any spoilers as the basics of gameplay are already seen, you just seem to hate the project for some reason and put everything about it down.
    We do not need the footage from the single player component of the game? Really? Just trust CIG and watch people fly ships in multiplayer? Is that what you think people who prefers SP wants to? Brah.
    Those are two very different things.
    P.S.
    Your magical server meshing tech has been coming for years and will still be coming for years. At one point you should stop and think why the currently most important thing keeping the game from being actually populated by people has not been done.
    And no, it is not so easily to "scale it up". Just like the parallel processing in computers, while being the supposed magical wand to all issues, is not that easy, since you have to keep everything synced, at some point sync creates overhead which can be quite considerable and so on, until the magical wand is not so magical anymore.
    Last edited by Easo; 2021-01-29 at 12:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    So why we even talk about timelines, or why there's even a roadmap is beyond me. Because none of it matters when this game is largely dictated by the whims of Chris Roberts and however much money folks are willing to throw at him.
    Because there are players who actually look at the whole project Objectionally, and are interested in following whats beeing worked on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    The problem is, it makes no sense to test something, remove it, then re-introduce it years later, where it may not work anymore with all the improvements/changes implemented into the game. Just because it worked at 3.x.x doesn't mean it will work the same at 6.x.x 8 years later. So... They'll need to re-test it at that point, rendering the initial test useless.

And for the semantics of two pages ago, it may be "temporarily" removed, but as long as it has not reappeared, it's simply "removed". This is removed content. It will be "temporarily removed content" if it ever comes back.
    They didnt remove any Technical Features, they just removed some Object from the map. Like if you would remove a House from any other game map.
    The overall Technology for that is in Development anyway.

I personally find the overall discussion about "Removed Content" rather Idiotic, its in development, stuff gets added, stuff gets removed. And in my Opinion they didnt remove anything worthwhile with that.

You can argue about the Technology not beeing able to handle the game (yet), yea. But the thing is, thats actually what (probably) a large majority of players bought in. (Myself included) StarCitizen will 100% not meet peoples expactations, but it pushes what technology is able to handle.

If you look at the different Technologies CIG developed without attaching your Star Citizen Hype/Hate to it. You will still see that these things were never there to begin with. So, even if StarCitizen ultimately fails, we still have these new Technologies.

There was some comparison that Elite dangerous also gets/got planets.
    Elite Dangerous:

StarCitizen:

So, which technology is better?

Its hard to say, there are some technical things that just soak up Ressources, and basically stop the game from Progressing.

If you listen to NaySayers they will still say "Never", if you listen to HardCore fanboys, they will say: "Like in 2 years".

For people, who dont want/can invest themselves over a very long time, I can only recommend to let StarCitizen be StarCitizen and wait for it to be nearly nearly done.

I mean sure if you want to play a MMO with a 50 player server cap, knock yourself out. I tend to want to play a MMO that has you know, people playing it. More than 50. Also that game is a buggy disaster that often crashes and burns, it is comical to even consider that a game on many other MMO's level.
    Sure, its up to each individual player to buy into Early Access, and play it. But to each their own.
    I for one, had even in this "Buggy disaster, that often crashes and burns" much more fun, than in enough other Finished games I bought.

Cool about your personal anecdote of not crashing, that does not invalidate other people that crash. Hasn't seemed to be the typical experience in the game either from what I've noted.
    *Laughs* Yea. But its worth to note, that its entirely possible to play without any Issues.

We know it's been fully grey boxed at at least 2-3 different points over the past what, 4-5 years? I mean, the biggest hurdle for SC seems to be some of the multiplayer specific functions, things that aren't tied to SQ42 at all and shouldn't effect that game.
    Out of Curiosity, I receive regular SQ42 Updates per email, which tell me what they are doing I assume, (Didnt read them though). Do you actually follow the Development? Or do you hop on the occasional questionable researched news Article that outlines how bad StarCitizen is?

I mean, I dont follow the active development, I backed the project in the Hopes of getting a cool game, and because I like it pushing the borders of "Whats deemed Possible". Overall with what they´ve delivered I already got enough enjoyment out of the Project for the Money I´ve spend. So, any more is just extra.

And they can absolutely show off progress without spoiling story. The decision not to is one that, at least to me, speaks to the game not being in a state ready to be shown yet. Still.
    The thing is, they can push out any kinds of Videos/Pictures and the Star Citizen Fans will be in Awe and "Its like 2 days before Release", and the NaySayers will be "Huh, anyone can produce a fancy video, they just want to get more money".
    And the Objective people wont be affected, because any kind of Trailer is not showing the things that "Just dont work".

But they constantly show of technical things they do, and why they do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Uurdz View Post
    Like, is this worth spending $45 to try out?
    Hard Question, to be fair. I´d suggest trying it out in one of the "Free Flight" Events.

This has two Upsides in your favor:
    You experience the game in its worst state, (due to Performance Issues)
    You dont need to spend any money to test it, except downloading a Large Client.

Furthermore, you need a very beefy PC, the more your own PC struggles, the more Issues will you Experience in the game. Sadly, stuff just breaks if your PC struggles.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    They'll run out of money before releasing anything worthwhile. This cannot be salvaged without massive financial influx that i highly doubt people are willing to give anymore.
    Sources on that.

Quote Originally Posted by LanToaster View Post
    Elite Dangerous:

StarCitizen:

The first one, because its an actual working game. Not a a tech demo that barely functions with the hope of something more one day.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    The first one, because its an actual working game. Not a a tech demo that barely functions with the hope of something more one day.
    The Planet Tech works fine.

But way to go, to not understand my Posting.

Sources on that.
    The source is: They have been burning through hundreds of millions in hundred months without being even years close to a viable release.

The source is: They have been burning through hundreds of millions in hundred months without being even years close to a viable release.
    Thats not a Source, a Source would be the Income, and their Costs. You know neither apparently.
    Last edited by LanToaster; 2021-01-29 at 12:47 PM.

Any day now since 2015. If there wasn't anything worthwhile already released they wouldn't be making more money every year and getting new players.

Quote Originally Posted by 1001 View Post
    So many? How many?

And lets be real, it's hardly an impartial metric when streamers are trying to get people to sign up using their referral code so they can benefit from the reward scheme CIG has in place.

Anyone saying that it is the best game available for $45 is an idiot. If it was the best game available why is it only the fanboys saying it? Why not people who have far more experience in reviewing games?
    Dunno how many, ask around: https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game...zen/videos/all

Actually the streamer who said that word for word is EvE vet who's taking a break and started playing Star Citizen after that massive war which resulted in network problems and people losing massive fleets. He's streaming now if you want to ask him: https://www.twitch.tv/ronusmc

The mileage varies depending on many factors, if you enjoy it good if you don't good anyway. Playing space sims is not for everyone just like playing alpha games is not for everyone. Either way people will like different things at different levels, doesn't automatically makes them idiots.

As for Squadron 42 footage there's been plenty shown already, from hour long gameplay videos to multiple teasers trailers, mocap shooting, inside tech development and a detailed roadmpa. Certainly much more than most studios showcase of their games during development.

- - - Updated - - -

Even the most ardent Elite Fanboy would agree that Star Citizen planets look considerably better than Elite ones.

No shame in it either. As game focused of quality and other on quantity.

Oh no, not this again.

Actually the streamer who said that word for word is EvE vet who's taking a break and started playing Star Citizen after that massive war which resulted in network problems and people losing massive fleets. He's streaming now if you want to ask him: https://www.twitch.tv/ronusmc
    Ah so one single streamer so far. Ok

Edited because being sardonic or calling people out in generalised way over their outrageous claims is infraction worthy....
    Last edited by 1001; 2021-01-29 at 02:34 PM.

Elite Dangerous:

StarCitizen:

Here is some actual screens and not a 800x400 picture from 2015 that you posted lol, some new ice planets and others from odyssey that will release soon. Rather also have a well optimized game too then one going overboard needing high end systems to run it smooth.

I say it looks more then fine. And more important we will be able to play the whole package soon.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2021-01-29 at 03:24 PM.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    We do not need the footage from the single player component of the game? Really? Just trust CIG and watch people fly ships in multiplayer? Is that what you think people who prefers SP wants to? Brah.
    Those are two very different things.
    P.S.
    Your magical server meshing tech has been coming for years and will still be coming for years. At one point you should stop and think why the currently most important thing keeping the game from being actually populated by people has not been done.
    And no, it is not so easily to "scale it up". Just like the parallel processing in computers, while being the supposed magical wand to all issues, is not that easy, since you have to keep everything synced, at some point sync creates overhead which can be quite considerable and so on, until the magical wand is not so magical anymore.
    No we dont need footage from the single player component, why would we since most of what is in it will be available in the PU so we can test pretty much everything without the need to spoil parts of the story.

Its not magical tech, do you even know what they want to do with server meshing plus server meshing is only one component in many that needs to be inplace first before it would work correctly, players wont see SQ42 gameplay until the game is released so you can either accept that or not but thats what is happening currently and most of the community is fine with whatever happens.

I trust CiG because of what they have already delivered and the quality of it so far, i dont mind waiting as long as it takes for it to actually be ready.

A full game means very little if your bored of it and never really play it again after 100 hours or so of gameplay, when a game lacks any depth or actual interesting things to actually do or keep you actually interested then it has actually failed at being a game. No matter what they add now they are just adding to limited boring gameplay systems.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2021-01-29 at 03:18 PM.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by 1001 View Post
    Oh no, not this again.
    Ah so one single streamer so far. Ok
    I'll equally attest to that streamers opinion so definitely more than one single streamer so far. Could be more but never less, how many exactly we'll never know but it doesn't really matter. The point is that the statement of "servers can't run for 2 hours straight" is not just hyperbolic but plain wrong. That is not denying that there are server or client crashes while playing, just that there aren't occurring in such linear fashion that you can point a a specific hour length for them to occur.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Here is some actual screens from new ice planets and others in odyssey that will release soon.
    They look nice but I think you're mistaking concept art with actual game screenshots.

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    A full game means very little if your bored of it and never really play it again after 100 hours or so of gameplay, when a game lacks any depth or actual interesting things to actually do or keep you actually interested then it has actually failed at being a game. No matter what they add now they are just adding to limited boring gameplay systems.
    I will happily pay for 100 hours of entertainment, and will laugh if you try to compare it as bad value against nothing but hopes and dreams that someday SC might be a game, possible, maybe, at some undetermined point in the future. Hopefully before the heat death of the universe.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death