Best take on this project I’ve seen is from someone by the name of "Grotesque", from another forum:

I don't give a fuck if Chris Robert it's "stealing" people's money, selling jpegs or whatever the fuck he's doing!
    SC it's cool shit and if it takes morons with too much cash on their hands to become something real, so be it!

If it takes 30 years instead of 10 years, who gives a fuck? Only morons would be butthurt about that and cunts with too of a shallow life that feel the need to fill it with some Star Citizen banter or praise.

If it crashes next year, good riddance!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    the game is at least around 20k on a concurrent basis otherwise they wouldnt have around 20k player capacity for the servers right now..
    LoL how would you know, server meshing doesn't work yet. . . . more talking out of your ass like normal.

- - - Updated - - -

much easier that building a game from nothing and no staff.
    LoL CIG isnt building from nothing they are using the CryEngine. . . . /facepalm

They even signed a perpetual contract for CryEngine recently. . . . . .

QoD: "Do you know what perpetuity means?"
    Tyrion: "It means forever."
    Last edited by Beazy; 2021-05-12 at 09:27 PM.

building a game from nothing and no staff.
    Then know your fucking limits and don't feature creep yourself to death. But don't worry this game will look great in 2027 when it releases.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    QoD: "Do you know what perpetuity means?"
    Tyrion: "It means forever."
    The dragons are coming, just keep waiting. Oh, I mean SC is coming, keep waiting!

You not free to do whatever you want in ED there is a limited amount of choices and thats it.
    Yeah, but those choices run a very broad spectrum. I can be a soldier, bounty hunter, alien hunter, miner, trader, taxi, explorer, hauler, smuggler, rescuer. I can travel out thousands of light years to systems no-one has visited before or stick near civilisation. I can gather materials to customise and enhance my ships' components or make do with off-the-shelf kit. I can take part in wars that change the political makeup of the galaxy, I can work for the overarching factions and earn additional rewards.

A massive galaxy is a waste when there is no alien civilisations to interact with, and a few random alien ships in space and the occasional ground structure is hardly anything to be considered actual alien civilisation.
    Nah, the fact space is huge is enough to be engaging, you don't need Saturday morning cartoon villains to make it interesting. I'm happy enough knowing there's some sort of extinct precursor race and an inscrutable cosmic menace.

Where are the cities to explore, where are the vastly different planets with actual biomes to explore, ED has no depth.
    Probably coming in a future update, and at this rate I reckon E will have them before SC manages to get the game to go live.

Supercruise is terrible, the worst implementation of space travel every put into a game, you dont plan anything you just point and slow down at the right time so not very good gameplay at all.
    Super-cruise you actually fly the ship, set acceleration so you don't overshoot, check out signal sources, dodge gravity wells, watch out for interdictions, plan approaches to stations etc. More importantly you can actually get around a system in a timely manner. What does Quantum Driving do? You point at your destination, wait to calibrate, wait to spool up, wait to arrive and... do you even have to slow down yourself or does the ship do it for you?

Quantum travel is actually at least somewhat realistic, where is supercruise is not at all, traveling fast and long distances requires lots of calculations and without magical tech your ship would tear itself apart if you tried turning at those speeds.
    Oh deary. Just because people put the word quantum in front of something doesn't make it realistic, and if that's what I was after I'd play a game like EVE which at least acknowledges that realistically spaceships would be 99% automated with the human in charge (if they have one) giving basic orders and allowing the ship's computers to deal with stuff like manoeuvring and aiming and so on. But I don't want realistic, I want essentially a WW2 dogfighting game in space with nods towards realism which is what both E and Star Citizen are trying to provide, so if you want to jump on the idea that things being realistic makes them better then there are a whole heap of issues with Star Citizen you need to look at.

SC has tons of actual content currently and is far more interesting, the combat alone in SC is light years better than anything ED has, the mining and trading are miles better, the missions are more interesting, so ED has nothing on the content in SC.
    If Star Citizen was more interesting I'd be playing it, but I can not be arsed to pootle around a couple of systems especially not now I've discovered it would take more than a day real-time travel just to travel from our sun to Pluto. I signed up long, long ago and bought the pack with the 315p for exploration but if the game is going to be me setting a destination then logging out until the next day when I might be near something I want to look at then my interest is well and truly squashed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    I signed up long, long ago and bought the pack with the 315p for exploration
    If you ever decide to come back and check out the MMO gameplay, I'd advise either melting your 315p into a different ship, such as the 135c (way more agile Origin ship), or the Mustang Delta (more firepower and more agile but you can't carry other people), or the Reliant Kore (fancier looking ship). Or just spend $5 to upgrade to a 325a (more firepower) or an Arrow (more firepower and way more agile, but you can't carry any cargo or other people). A couple years ago I bit the bullet and upgraded my 315p to a 325a, since there is no exploration gameplay in Star Citizen and the 325a is just better. The 315p had a huge fuel tank, but there are now a lot of space stations around the system to refuel at and it was worth the upgrade in offensive capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I wouldn't call a repeatable delievery mission meaningful "content".
    Open up mobiglass
    "oh i can make 3000 credits on a delivery mission"
    "go to Port Olisar, picks up the box from the vending machine and runs to your ship on the pad"
    spends 15 minutes tabbed out of Star Citizen while you're QTing to Microtech
    spend another 5 minutes flying down to the right skyscraper on Microteach
    lands, runs out of your ship and puts the box in a vending machine
    receives 3000 credits
    repeat

Well, it's gameplay, but it's not really meaningful PvE "content" to do, not content in the way most gamers would call it. And that's most of what the game is. "Go to this bunker and kill 7 generated mobs, and this mission will respawn again 5 minutes later". "go to this asteroid belt and blow up satelites". Etc.

Probably the most meaningful PvE "content" in the game is that quest you get from Tecia on ArcCorp, where she wants you to perform a drug heist and loans you a Cutlass to do it. So you go to a skyscraper on ArcCorp, get into the cutlass, go to the moon with the designated bunker, kill everyone, throw the drugs into the cutlass, fly back and drop it off. Or the mission where Tecia wants you to break her men out of a prison transport, and you have to be sure to find the right guy (and kill the traitor). This is like, a barebones Elder Scrolls sidequest, and that's probably the most meaningful "content" you do in the game besides more repeat activities like putting boxes into vending machines or mowing down bandits in bunkers.
    PVE means Player vs Enviroment or vs Monster, doesn't necessarily need a whole story attached to it. Mindlessly killing pirates in dogfights or in bunkers or caves is the same as any other mindless grind of mobs in traditional mmorpgs. There's no XP system but there is the reputation system so choosing the right missions means that mindlessly killing the right pirates will earn you reputation and better $$$.

I personally enjoy mixing between mercenary missions (with call to arms active ofc) and investigation missions. One can make quite good credits by aligning the "find lost space crew" + "find specifc guy" + "find black box" missions because they sometimes are all in the same wreck. Plus you can find some random cargo to salvage along the way which the grappling tool made more convenient to pick up now. Some ground derelict ships have pirates inside so there's a chance for some FPS action as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post
    I personally enjoy mixing between mercenary missions (with call to arms active ofc) and investigation missions.
    This is just farming the same tedious and boring activities over and over. Investigation missions are nice the first time you do it, but I can't imagine anyone actually enjoying farming them over and over.

The most fun I had in Star Citizen was when the system was smaller so people bumped into each other more often. When you went to a drug outpost to smuggle drugs and saw another guy there, or when you are inside the outpost getting drugs and you hear a ship land outside or the airlock start opening, and you go "oh shit" and a shootout ensues. Or when you chase a bounty target to Kareah and a shootout inside ensues. Or camping for criminals right outside GRIM Hex. But that stuff hardly happens anymore nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    This is just farming the same tedious and boring activities over and over. Investigation missions are nice the first time you do it, but I can't imagine anyone actually enjoying farming them over and over.

The most fun I had in Star Citizen was when the system was smaller so people bumped into each other more often. When you went to a drug outpost to smuggle drugs and saw another guy there, or when you are inside the outpost getting drugs and you hear a ship land outside or the airlock start opening, and you go "oh shit" and a shootout ensues. Or when you chase a bounty target to Kareah and a shootout inside ensues. Or camping for criminals right outside GRIM Hex. But that stuff hardly happens anymore nowadays.
    Well I don't find them boring or tedious at all but I guess everyone has it's thing. I find the ones in space specially relaxing, until another player or pirate npc shows up that is. I usually don't kill on sight but I've regretted many times.

As for activity, I bump into other players a lot in the usual mining spots, Aberdeen most of the times is filled with noob miners trying the gold rush. Now less due to refinery's.

But there's usually skirmishes going on in Crusader, Kareah or Olisar, at least in the EU servers. Bounty hunting missions to kill criminal players should pay more though.

Found a great cinematic shot of the Bengal arriving at Port Tressler:

what a beauty!
    Last edited by MrAnderson; 2021-05-12 at 11:03 PM.

You have already been proven wrong about no proper gameplay and the amount of players playing the game is at least around 20k on a concurrent basis otherwise they wouldnt have around 20k player capacity for the servers right now.

Development began is 2008 and it released in 2013 so 5 years plus for development and extra time to port it to PC, marketing is included in development costs so the game still cost 265 million to make a game they have been making for decades, remaking the same game with better graphics is much easier that building a game from nothing and no staff.
    They don't have around 20k player capacity. Prove me with a video of 200 people and ships on same server and location.
    If they did have capacity servers wouldn't crash in every few hours.

Comparing games?
    A spiritual successor to 2003's Freelancer, Star Citizen is being led by director Chris Roberts. The game was announced in 2012 through a successful Kickstarter campaign which drew in over US$2 million. Pre-production of the game began in 2010, with production starting in 2011.

So star citizen is in development for 11 years. That adds more cost and you keep going down my friend.

You have already been proven wrong about no proper gameplay and the amount of players playing the game is at least around 20k on a concurrent basis otherwise they wouldnt have around 20k player capacity for the servers right now.
    Please link where are you getting 20k from.

The stats CIG have released only allow for figuring out average concurrency and was previously about 1350 players, more recent stats put it around 3003 players, and these should be taken with a huge pinch of salt considering what a cherry-picking bullshitting company CIG is

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    snip
    Supercruise is just a glorified loading screen to make it feel like your actually travelling through space, its no different to the flight in STO where your on a map, everything in ED is an instance and it just has no feeling as a space game

In SC is takes no more than 30 mins to travel from 2 furthest points as long as you have a half decent drive, travel times will be adjusted and will be longer but there wont be many if at all that takes a day to travel to and it would probably have something worthwhile on that planet where in ED there is nothing to make it that worthwhile.

SC has everything i have been looking for in a space game where ED barely even touches the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Littlechamp View Post
    They don't have around 20k player capacity. Prove me with a video of 200 people and ships on same server and location.
    If they did have capacity servers wouldn't crash in every few hours.

Comparing games?
    A spiritual successor to 2003's Freelancer, Star Citizen is being led by director Chris Roberts. The game was announced in 2012 through a successful Kickstarter campaign which drew in over US$2 million. Pre-production of the game began in 2010, with production starting in 2011.

So star citizen is in development for 11 years. That adds more cost and you keep going down my friend.
    I didnt say anything about 20k players on one server i said they support up to 20k players playing the game at the same time and can add as much more as needed. That support alone is more than the concurrent playerbase of ED.

Star Citizen started with nothing, no studios and only 11 staff, do you really expect the game to be developed as fast as a studio with 1k or more staff, building up a company from nothing and getting the staff needed is hard enough but to develop a space game noone has done anything close to before its very doubtful anyone could pull it off.

I have realistic expectations, but you take the biscuit and expect a company to do the impossible.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2021-05-13 at 12:45 PM.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

I didnt say anything about 20k players on one server i said they support up to 20k players playing the game at the same time and can add as much more as needed. That support alone is more than the concurrent playerbase of ED.

Star Citizen started with nothing, no studios and only 11 staff, do you really expect the game to be developed as fast as a studio with 1k or more staff, building up a company from nothing and getting the staff needed is hard enough but to develop a space game noone has done anything close to before its very doubtful anyone could pull it off.

I have realistic expectations, but you take the biscuit and expect a company to do the impossible.
    Come on, its been 11 years already. Find another excuse.

They couldn't even complete %5 of game, no mechanics final and most importantly no proper network.
    SC management sucks and they prolly recruited the cheapest devs so they can have most of the money for themselves, do you see 60-70 million worth stuff developed each year?

Crytek was found in 1999 and they released farcry 2004? and crysis 1 in 2007. Look this is a company from scratch. They made an engine from scratch.

This alone confirms how much cig is reallllly bad at game development. Chris roberts is just a rusty name from past.
    Last edited by Littlechamp; 2021-05-13 at 01:15 PM.

Come on, its been 11 years already. Find another excuse.

They couldn't even complete %5 of game, no mechanics final and most importantly no proper network.
    SC management sucks and they prolly recruited the cheapest devs so they can have most of the money for themselves, do you see 60-70 million worth stuff developed each year?

They even hired Turbulent company who are actually web designers. Why would you do that except you are not stealing from pledged money? Why not hire a proper company who have lots of experience?

Crytek was found in 1999 and they released farcry 2004? and crysis 1 in 2007. Look this is a company from scratch. They made an engine from scratch.

This alone confirms how much cig is reallllly bad at game development. Chris roberts is just a rusty name from past.
    Its been around 9 years from the kickstarter, pre production is not part of development in any game so you would have to add a few years onto RDR2 since that started during the first game, so 10-11 years to develop a single player game RDR2 and the most expensive single player game ever made as it has cost more than SC has currently.

The company can hire whoever they need for the game, not every employee is a game dev.

You dont even have a clue how much of the game has been made since you obviously dont actually follow its development.

Making a game like farcry is like comparing a company to making a normal car and another company making a tesla, its that different it doesnt even compare.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2021-05-13 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    It 100% is part of development.
    And thats just another case of you being wrong, because no other company is held to that standard otherwise you would have to add years onto most games that have been developed including World of Warcraft as pre production was not including it its development time.

It doesnt matter how long it takes to develop a game, its impossible to develop a game any faster that it can be made, you have very unrealistic expectaions on game development.

Its been around 9 years from the kickstarter, pre production is not part of development in any game so you would have to add a few years onto RDR2 since that started during the first game, so 10-11 years to develop a single player game RDR2 and the most expensive single player game ever made as it has cost more than SC has currently.

The company can hire whoever they need for the game, not every employee is a game dev.

You dont even have a clue how much of the game has been made since you obviously dont actually follow its development.

Making a game like farcry is like comparing a company to making a normal car and another company making a tesla, its that different it doesnt even compare.
    Then speak why did you say 5 years development time for gta 5?

Preliminary work on Grand Theft Auto V began after Grand Theft Auto IV's release in April 2008; full development lasted approximately three years. Rockstar North's core 360-person team co-opted studios around the world owned by parent company Rockstar Games to facilitate development between a full team of over 1,000.

Then speak why did you say 5 years development time for gta 5?

Preliminary work on Grand Theft Auto V began after Grand Theft Auto IV's release in April 2008; full development lasted approximately three years. Rockstar North's core 360-person team co-opted studios around the world owned by parent company Rockstar Games to facilitate development between a full team of over 1,000.
    because gta 5 released 17 sept 2013 maybe, you do see full development mentioned so they had a few years of a smaller team. Also another 1 year of development for a PC port. So 6 1/2 years development at least so not 3 years as you mentioned.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2021-05-13 at 01:48 PM.

RDR2 and cyberpunk are 9 year projects, dont forget RDR2 had another year of development to get it working on PC, and thats just 1 single game, SC are making both a single player and MMO at the same time.
    you would have to add a few years onto RDR2 since that started during the first game, so 10-11 years to develop a single player game RDR2 and the most expensive single player game ever made as it has cost more than SC has currently.
    pre production is not part of development

I hope SC keeps going for another 10-20 years, because I can't get enough of this <3

Quote Originally Posted by banmebaby View Post

I hope SC keeps going for another 10-20 years, because I can't get enough of this <3
    At least we can be sure they won't release a playable game in that timeframe.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    And Lucas made initial plans for the sequel SW trilogy in 1976. The Force Awakens was in development for nearly four decades!
    Yeah and none of those plans outside of few names that were repurposed happened. He primarily wrote everything prequel related that came to be in 90 and early 00s
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by banmebaby View Post
    Thank you, thank you, I promiss I'll buy a big fat pack of jpgs as soon as my pay check hits!
    I'm sure Robber Industries thanks your sacrifice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Except it would only be "textbook" confirmation bias if I fully believed that a third spec was actually coming.