This game is a gift that keeps on giving. Really looking forward to play this on my quadruple RTX9080 and my 256 core i-13.

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    They actually released what they wanted apart from the SQ 42 in a suitable time frame, not everything can go to plan ingame development, at this point your just complaining about a game with open development that keeps the community fairly well informed about most things related to the game.
    Not going to plan? They misjudged the release date by at least 5 years. If they missed it by a year, no biggie, this happens often enough in development. But 5 years?
    That's beyond incompetence, that's flat-out lying, and they knew it. And on top of that, they didn't fess up, apologize, or give an explanation. Instead, they went silent and started pushing the PU. Where was that open development then? I guess they didn't want to tell everyone that instead of pushing for that date, they decided to start over because they didn't properly plan everything out. The fact that the 1st mission isn't even in a Whitebox playable state should speak volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    Not going to plan? They misjudged the release date by at least 5 years. If they missed it by a year, no biggie, this happens often enough in development. But 5 years?
    That's beyond incompetence, that's flat-out lying, and they knew it. And on top of that, they didn't fess up, apologize, or give an explanation. Instead, they went silent and started pushing the PU. Where was that open development then? I guess they didn't want to tell everyone that instead of pushing for that date, they decided to start over because they didn't properly plan everything out. The fact that the 1st mission isn't even in a Whitebox playable state should speak volumes.
    And even the PU was a lie back in 2016. Chris said it would come by end of 2016 with these amazing quarterly updates through 2017 culminating with patch 4.0 allowing players to jump to new systems by the end of 2017.

Instead, what was only meant to be a couple of months away turned out being 1 year late and what was meant to arrive at the end of 2017 is still not here 2 years later...

10+ Year Old Account
    Man, that guy is a genius. It's like gaming world con artist of a century right there and he's still going too! Impressive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Nha, his just a guy with the project management of a potato.

He clearly can put some decent games out, but my fucking lord, putting him as the lead of a project is just a fucking mistake, if you don’t keep him anchored to the ground somehow, just like Icarus the mofo will get himself burned trying to fly into the sun.
    Just imagine giving all that money he burned to CD Projekt Red or Larian or even Rockstar to do one game, they'd fucking make stuff of the legends there. Such a shame.

there has been a released version of the game for 5 years, its far from complete but doesnt change the fact its there.
    So the full released game is on sale somewhere? Or are you referring to the bits and pieces of the game they're still developing that are done enough to let people check it out?

Because those are not even remotely the same thing and trying to say otherwise is being incredibly disingenuous if not outright maliciously misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    So the full released game is on sale somewhere? Or are you referring to the bits and pieces of the game they're still developing that are done enough to let people check it out?

Because those are not even remotely the same thing and trying to say otherwise is being incredibly disingenuous if not outright maliciously misleading.
    no game is a full released game, a game is always missing something, there is a version of the game that has been out for years, it doesnt matter if it is missing certain systems that would be in the official launch of the game or not, fact is there is a game you can play.

the game has been changed a few times during development so any release dates mentioned were made redudant, its one of the reasons chris doesnt really mention dates at all anymore.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2019-12-12 at 11:21 PM.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

no game is a full released game
    So for 47 years, not a single game has been a full released game. This is new to me. I didn't realize Shigeru Miyamoto was such a failure for never releasing a finished game, or that John Carmack was such a hack for never finishing Doom or Quake. I guess by your own admission, Chris Roberts has never released finished a game.

the game has been changed a few times during development so any release dates mentioned were made redudant, its one of the reasons chris doesnt really mention dates at all anymore.
    Not only that, but your logic it doesn't even need a release date, because it will never be released.
    Last edited by Cyclone Jack; 2019-12-13 at 12:25 AM.

no game is a full released game, a game is always missing something, there is a version of the game that has been out for years, it doesnt matter if it is missing certain systems that would be in the official launch of the game or not, fact is there is a game you can play
    You know god damn good and well what I meant.

There is no “game” to play. There are several pieces of one though. That’s typically called a demo, but I will at least acknowledge that it’s more than JUST a demo. But you trying to pass it as a anything more than that, as a full “game,” is flat out dishonest.

10+ Year Old Account
    haha, the disingeunity of a lot of the detractor arguments in this thread is amusing to wade through.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I think we are starting to get into the "playable state" with SC's development. Yeah, it's missing a lot of core features and there still needs to be integration between the FPS component of the game and the space sim, as well as the racing part (though I think that one isn't as pressing of a feature). As far as an MMO goes, it's functional and you can do missions and whatnot, but I feel like there's, almost ironically, a lot of empty space in the game as a whole. I've traveled to a few planets and there's not much on them. The settlements feel barren, there's no items to pickup aside from parcels and there's no one to interact with from what I've experienced. There's a ton of work still be done to give the game more scope, but it's getting better.
    the space sim is already integrated with the fps sim. there are fps missions planet side and on space stations. there were ground racing missions in a few patches back, but this was before in-game purchases and rentals, they were disabled a few patches ago due to breaking, so they will be re-integrated with space races as well and roads. there is a lot to do on planets if you know what you are doing and looking for, there are hidden outposts with drugs, outposts to buy and sell cargo at, missions to do planet side, mining, mercenary missions, investigations. it's all initial iteration, but there are things to do. check out the Contracts Manager next time you are in-game. now i will admit that the game does not direct new players well at all, but that's partly due to the game still being in heavy development and the other is the nature of a sandbox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    THIS is the problem. It doesn't matter what it will have. It matters what it has NOW. You don't know if any or all or in between of those 'will haves' are actually going to make it. You think because they say it will have X, Y and Z that it matters NOW. What if Y never happens. You apologize? Of course not.
    haha, so the game is unfinished as it is still in alpha stage development but what counts, to you, is what's available to play now and not what will be there when the game reaches release? it's as though you think what is there now will be all there will be? please let's not argue in such bad faith. /sigh
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobb View Post
    An actual full game release.
    that is highly debatable, because there are many players in Star Citizen right now how have left various other space games because they, even though they have seen their full retail release, are still unfinished in ver core and fundamental ways, years after.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Literally in the years they've had to develop the game, the only stuff they've added to the live PTU has been missions, mining, space combat and interstellar travel, some character and ship customization, but it's otherwise horribly bare bones.
    please don't argue in such bad faith and willfully disregard the progress made just to try and "win" a point by arguing against your own Strawman. you were doing so well before, what happened?
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    IIRC the SQ42 delays are for the "underlying tech" that's still being worked on for PU, no? In that it was never actually "close" to releasing, because a bunch of the tech wasn't even started years back. That or they decided to add a whole bunch of stuff and delayed the game specifically for that tech which...I dunno.
    planetary tech is the main reason for SQ42 not releasing earlier and i for one am glad they waited because the tech that they can now leverage for the single-player narrative will lead to more compelling immersion, details, environments, features and mechanics. we should get it by year end 2021 barring anything catastrophic, so it's close.
    So either they knew this and mislead folks, or they failed to properly scope out the game and let feature creep for the PU impact SQ42.

Neither is a great move for them.
    they were optimistic, but they did say that all dates are tentative unless they give an actual release date (which they have never done) and even then still reserve the right to amend it. you can not like their estimates, but to assume malice based on nothing but conjecture is in bad faith, not to mention when you pledge they tell you that all estimates are subject to change and they can change then for w/e reason they see fit. you don't have to like it, but that is the way it is, besides they stopped with the Answer the Call in 2016 and people who were not down with waiting could refund for an entire year (even though CIG was not legally obligated to provide refunds). also let's not forget the plethora of recently released titles that were charging full price or more but were severely under-cooked and could have used at least or year or more time in development to give people a game worthy of their time and money. i, for one, am tired of that.
    Those are release dates, just release dates they missed.

You can't redefine words just because they suit your narrative. There have been dates. They've missed them as the game grew out of proportion with features and pushed the launch dates back years.
    okay, let's follow your logic. if they were release dates, as you say, then can you show me on of these release dates?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Just imagine giving all that money he burned to CD Projekt Red or Larian or even Rockstar to do one game, they'd fucking make stuff of the legends there. Such a shame.
    this is a really silly comment. CD Projekt Red or Rockstar (don't know Larian) are already established companies with financing, office space, devs, established workflows and support infrastructure available at the beginning of the projects they develop. so ofc they would be better positioned to develop a game like Star Citizen. but what you and many others forget is that they already have all those great things needed to develop games going for them, but NONE of them chose to attempt a game like Star Citizen, so giving them that money would not have given us Star Citizen which is what us backers want. there was not space for a game like Star Citizen and because of the crowd funding model and Chris Roberts himself, we got a space and Chris and CIG are developing a game which we can help guide through feedback to get the best game possible that fans of Chris' vision can play.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe because some of us actually took some serious time to play the game? The scope isn't there, it's not even close to what it's supposed to be, and it is a long way off from being close to what it should be.

everyone knew what chris was like when it came to developing games, he wants to do too much, so if you really put any stock into any release dates then thats on you, i knew when it came up in the kickstarter that the game was going to take way longer than any date put in writing.
    Do they, though? Is it the consumers job to know the personality flaws of the people developing their products? Or, is it the developer's job to give accurate and clear information to the consumer? Is it not the developers duty to be honest and transparent with the people who pay their salaries by funding the game?

You understand that you're arguing directly against the consumer, right? And that you are a consumer? You're defending a company's poor management and behavior when that company has done nothing but drag its feet, mismanage its time and resources, and lie to its consumer base.

Also, and this is just a side note, does your back hurt? The way you're moving this goal post all over the place has to be exhausting.
    Last edited by Henako; 2019-12-13 at 11:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    is what's available to play now and not what will be there when the game reaches release? it's as though you think what is there now will be all there will be? please let's not argue in such bad faith. /sigh
    LoL OMFG MY SIDES!

Are you a mod on the SC official CIG subreddit? Can you get me unbanned?

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    You know god damn good and well what I meant.

There is no “game” to play. There are several pieces of one though. That’s typically called a demo, but I will at least acknowledge that it’s more than JUST a demo. But you trying to pass it as a anything more than that, as a full “game,” is flat out dishonest.
    there is a game to play thats fact, it may not have every feature that they want in place but saying there is no game to play is false, the current version of SC has more to do than many games on the market.

So for 47 years, not a single game has been a full released game. This is new to me. I didn't realize Shigeru Miyamoto was such a failure for never releasing a finished game, or that John Carmack was such a hack for never finishing Doom or Quake. I guess by your own admission, Chris Roberts has never released finished a game.

Not only that, but your logic it doesn't even need a release date, because it will never be released.
    SC is an MMO so you tell me what MMO is complete and never gets new features or updates unless the game is essentially dead, in reality SC doesnt need a release date because at a certain point the PU will have everything it needs to be considered ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Henako View Post
    Do they, though? Is it the consumers job to know the personality flaws of the people developing their products? Or, is it the developer's job to give accurate and clear information to the consumer? Is it not the developers duty to be honest and transparent with the people who pay their salaries by funding the game?

You understand that you're arguing directly against the consumer, right? And that you are a consumer? You're defending a company's poor management and behavior when that company has done nothing but drag its feet, mismanage its time and resources, and lie to its consumer base.

Also, and this is just a side note, does your back hurt? The way you're moving this goal post all over the place has to be exhausting.
    they have been up front and have kept the community informed about the game, even if SC takes another 100million to develop it still wont be the most expensive game developed as you would need to double that for RDR2.

Developing a game is not straight forward especially when that game has never been done before, if you have an issue with it you dont need to put any money towards it until its more complete, many backers are more than happy to wait or play the current version. How can you prove that its being mismanaged and its not just a very difficult game to develop.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2019-12-13 at 04:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    ..... want in place but saying there is no game to play is false, the current version of SC has more to do than many games on the market.
    And which games would those be?

/disGonBGud

there is a game to play thats fact, it may not have every feature that they want in place but saying there is no game to play is false, the current version of SC has more to do than many games on the market.
    If you want to call something that's barely even in pre-alpha a game, fine. But you're being deliberately dishonest with your usage of that term.

That's like having a metal frame with wheels on it, tires sitting in the corner, a working engine sitting on a work bench, an electrical harness strung out on the floor, windows sitting in a rack, and a steering wheel attached to an axle, all separate, and saying you have a car.

All of those parts work, and you can do things with them, but saying it's a car is absolutely false.

- - - Updated - - -

SC is an MMO so you tell me what MMO is complete and never gets new features or updates unless the game is essentially dead, in reality SC doesnt need a release date because at a certain point the PU will have everything it needs to be considered ready.
    More bullshit.

Adding new features and systems to a game that is fully functional, with all it's core systems interconnected and working together is not at all the same thing as what Star Citizen has right now.

See my analogy.

Adding new or improved parts to a car that's already fully functional isn't the same thing as having to build a car from scratch where there is no fully functional car yet, and there won't be until the project is done.

snip
    Its still not a release date, and even if it was they have a right to change things to suit the game as they want, if a new bit of tech developed can make the game even better then why should they release something not as good, plus with the switch to lumberyard it added a little more time on development.

- Fall 2015 – First episode of Squadron 42 RELEASE… isn’t a release date, sounds legit.

You are the epitome of denial, but if you keep repeating it like that, you might eventually believe it yourself ~
    Man I don't get it, why someone needs to try that hard to defend this 'game'. It would be one thing if there was something to argue about but it is clear as day on the 'release' dates and yet it is just ignored claiming that isn't a release date. The last X amount of pages of this thread has been kenn just being dishonest the whole way. Now we have the other one back in the thread too. What is the point? They are going to convince no one to their way of thinking, they won't suddenly convert someone to buy the 'game'.

Its still not a release date, and even if it was they have a right to change things to suit the game as they want, if a new bit of tech developed can make the game even better then why should they release something not as good, plus with the switch to lumberyard it added a little more time on development.
    No one is denying that. All we're saying is be honest about what's happened and what's going on.

Spinning it as a wholly positive thing is ridiculous.

They provided tentative release date ranges MANY times, missed them by a mile, and have changed the scope of their game several times. They're terrible at project management and have very little idea of how to create a complete game where all the cool tech they're coming up with can become one complete cohesive game, but what they are doing is making the game their backers want (apparently, otherwise people wouldn't continue giving them money and they wouldn't still have support from the ones who have already given). Which is fine, great even.

But at least acknowledge how terribly managed the project is and admit to all the things they've either done wrong, or aren't doing well. As well as applaud them for the things they're doing well on.

It's this spin that this is how a project should be run and everything is totally normal and fine and it's all unicorns, butterflies and rainbows, when it's absolutely not that is just irritating.

It's OK to be critical of things you like and acknowledge the faults. Being overly positive, seemingly blind zealots is not.