Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Oh so you know what the players would do as well? You mean people wouldn't form up to try and do some ship combats? People wouldn't try and fight other players and cause some problems? Nah they'd just do the same thing if there was 40 people as if there was oh wait you put a cap as well, 120 now? Such MMO. This 9+ year game cannot handle players because it has too much room for AI's that love to T-Pose. Got it.

- - - Updated - - -

I notice you quickly dropped the 'mmo part of the game has not even been implemented' comment once I provided proof that what you said was wrong.

That game is being developed is as true now as it was 9 years ago. You think there is no need to increase server capacity and I strongly disagree. Your opinion means as much an anyone's else but you try to push yours as truth or facts. Big difference.
    There is a crime system inplace, there are many players who like to be lawful and not just do random PvP and it still doesnt change how the game would play currently no matter how many players are on a server, players will do the content they enjoy regardless of server limit.

Its a fact that the systems needed to really make it an MMO are not inplace, noone here has even stated the current version is a proper MMO but there is still adequate ways to group and play with your friends, so no you dont have any ability to prove anyone wrong.

Server capacity is not the issue, its what the servers currently have to do that limits what can be done with 1 single server, smoother gameplay is more important than more players on a server and thats a fact, its a space game your not supposed to see loads of players all over the place anyway unless its a heavily populated area.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    There is a crime system inplace, there are many players who like to be lawful and not just do random PvP and it still doesnt change how the game would play currently no matter how many players are on a server, players will do the content they enjoy regardless of server limit.
    You know except for massive ship combat because you can't have enough people on the server to do so. But don't worry SC gonna keep selling ships that require multiple people!

You can call it what you want but it is a MMO, it has been marketed to people as a type of MMO no matter the fancy words used. The wikis refer to it as an mmo, searching for "is star citizen a mmo" brings it up as one, even the blurb from their own site when searched has it mentioning MMO. I don't care what YOU think it is and what systems you think need to be in place to consider it one. You don't matter when it comes to what they have said.

It is a mmo and a very bad one at that. 40 player server cap, but plz buy our ships that take 10-20 people.

You know except for massive ship combat because

Yet you still haven't posted a video of a massive ship combat from other space game that's better than Star Citizen ones.

That large ship combat is very uninspiring.

Quote Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post
    [video=youtube;F4QfS-WgroE]Yet you still haven't posted a video of a massive ship combat from other space game that's better than Star Citizen ones.
    I'd say that Space Engineers' large ship battles give SC a run for their money. At least the battles don't take place beyond visual range, and the damage inflicted actually affects the geometry of the hull in ways that SC's don't.

Yet you still haven't posted a video of a massive ship combat from other space game that's better than Star Citizen ones.
    Whataboutisms don't help you. We're talking about SC. The game that CAN NOT have more than 40 people playing it so you cannot have a battle with more than 40 solo piloted ships. If people are in the same ship together, guess what happens, even less ships in the fight. Zzzz.

You know except for massive ship combat because you can't have enough people on the server to do so. But don't worry SC gonna keep selling ships that require multiple people!

You can call it what you want but it is a MMO, it has been marketed to people as a type of MMO no matter the fancy words used. The wikis refer to it as an mmo, searching for "is star citizen a mmo" brings it up as one, even the blurb from their own site when searched has it mentioning MMO. I don't care what YOU think it is and what systems you think need to be in place to consider it one. You don't matter when it comes to what they have said.

It is a mmo and a very bad one at that. 40 player server cap, but plz buy our ships that take 10-20 people.
    The game is not released yet so it doesnt matter what the server cap is, what matters is when its released how many players will be able to be in the same area, so all this BS your talking about now doesnt matter, its just you trying to justify your dislike of the game or the company.

I never once stated the game wasnt going to be an MMO, it actually meets the criteria to currently be an MMO as it is but many of the systems that would make it a proper MMO are not implemented yet, so the current version of the game doesnt reflect what the final version will be. As usual you just ignore what is actually going to be in the game just because its not implemented yet.

Massive battles would be spread out across multiple servers and ships would constantly be switching between those servers depending on distance, the current version of the game if it was only loading ships should have no issues with 100-200 ship battles atm, the main problem the servers have currently is they have the whole stanton system to operate along with the players on 1 single server.
    "The whole stanton system" really isn't a lot though, when the majority of all game systems are not yet implemented (If I remember correctly, each of those 100-200 ships may have its own special feature somewhere down the road). Server meshing may fix load issues on the current feature set, or it may allow more features on the current player numbers. It certainly won't allow for both, as that'd scale the number of servers needed exponentially, and keeping those in sync is a whole other level of complexity (not to mention cost for server upkeep).

A 200 ship battle would be split up into lets say 4 servers so each server is only handling 50 ships, tech does have limits and we will find out what those are when the server techs are being implemented.
    At the current performance leves, it'd be more like 50 servers for 200 ship battles if some more major features are implemented.

The game is not released yet so it doesnt matter what the server cap is, what matters is when its released how many players will be able to be in the same area, so all this BS your talking about now doesnt matter, its just you trying to justify your dislike of the game or the company.
    Oh sure but they have no problem taking money and SELLING ships on the cash store that require multiple people to use. It doesn't matter what your OPINION on the matter is, what matters is what CIG does.

Again, selling ships that take multiple people and then having a server cap of 40 is fucking pathetic.

- - - Updated - - -

I never once stated the game wasnt going to be an MMO
    The MMO part of the game has not even been implemented yet so try again
    Sorry, what is a game selling ships that take multiple people to use, trading/selling amongst players, some pvp, wikis for the game calling it a MMO, their own website showing on searches as an MMO mean exactly? It means it is a MMO.

- - - Updated - - -

As usual you just ignore what is actually going to be in the game just because its not implemented yet.
    Because all that matters is what is in the game right now! Period! Hopes and dreams don't mean shit. What is in the game? What does the game try to sell on the cash shop? There is the answer. It is a MMO with a 40 player cap that sells ships needing multiple people. Pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by stormgust View Post
    "The whole stanton system" really isn't a lot though, when the majority of all game systems are not yet implemented (If I remember correctly, each of those 100-200 ships may have its own special feature somewhere down the road). Server meshing may fix load issues on the current feature set, or it may allow more features on the current player numbers. It certainly won't allow for both, as that'd scale the number of servers needed exponentially, and keeping those in sync is a whole other level of complexity (not to mention cost for server upkeep).

At the current performance leves, it'd be more like 50 servers for 200 ship battles if some more major features are implemented.
    It is alot when its only run on one server, multiple planets/moons, many space stations, 3 large cities, hundreds of AI, the server currently has to do it all.

They are using amazon servers so they dont need to worry about server upkeep or how many servers they need, currently they are using a capacity of 20000 and can get more if needed. They are going to be using a system similar to dual universe where it increases the amount of servers in an area depending on how many players are there, and servers will only be active where there is a player so servers are not being wasted becuase no players are around.

snip
    thats not how it works, you judge a game on both the current version if in a development stage and what its supposed to have at release, if you dont do that then your just picking and choosing what you consider relevant to suit your own agenda.

When you buy a game you buy it for the features it will have on its release and not a development version of the game.

The game is in development, you cant just say its a shit MMO just because parts of the game have not even been implemented that are key in making it the MMO its designed to be, thats like saying FF7 remake is shit because i cant play the full story just because the rest of the game isnt finished yet.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2021-02-07 at 11:20 PM.

It is alot when its only run on one server, multiple planets/moons, many space stations, 3 large cities, hundreds of AI, the server currently has to do it all.
    Are we supposed to feel bad for CIG? I guess we better give them more money to mismanage and waste. How many millions have they gotten so far? 330 or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I'd say that Space Engineers' large ship battles give SC a run for their money. At least the battles don't take place beyond visual range, and the damage inflicted actually affects the geometry of the hull in ways that SC's don't.
    Ship battles can take place at close or long visual range depending on how ship's are flown and their geometry affected by damage, you can blow off engines, wings, turrets etc

But indeed Space Engeniers space battles are quite fun, and interestingly enough, in that game players also consider 40 Ship fleet battles Massive:

Whataboutisms don't help you. We're talking about SC. The game that CAN NOT have more than 40 people playing it so you cannot have a battle with more than 40 solo piloted ships. If people are in the same ship together, guess what happens, even less ships in the fight. Zzzz.
    Help me? Help yourself. You're the one desperately grasping at straws because gamers are having fun blowing space ships while you're out there shouting like a grudge-bearing old fart who can't stand watching others have fun.

Sad, either way, ship phew phew and explosions boom boom will continue to improve as they improve and iterate the gameplay.

Help me? Help yourself. You're the one desperately grasping at straws because gamers are having fun blowing space ships while you're out there shouting like a grudge-bearing old fart who can't stand watching others have fun.
    Again, what is the server cap? What is the most amount of ships you can have fighting at once? 40. Woo. Too bad it wasn't more but the servers would melt. Ah well. Maybe in 2024.

Of course you go back to the old playbook of insulting people because you have nothing else to say.

Again, what is the server cap? What is the most amount of ships you can have fighting at once? 40. Woo. Too bad it wasn't more but the servers would melt. Ah well. Maybe in 2024.

Of course you go back to the old playbook of insulting people because you have nothing else to say.
    And none of those prevent these massive space battles of being fun for players or an impressive achievement.

10+ Year Old Account
    And none of those prevent these massive space battles of being fun for players or an impressive achievement.
    Explain to me what was impressive about that clip. It appears to me to be 1 min 18 secs of one ship getting shot from another ship that is nearly beyond visual range. Then the targeted whale turns to face its aggressor while explosions are happening in seemingly random locations. The ship just floats there for a few seconds, appears to fire at a different target for a few seconds, then explodes in a JJ Abrams lensflare extravaganza? All the while in the same swampy looking cloud as the other clips.

For disclosure, i don't participate in the back and forth arguments that is Kenn\MrAnderson vs Everyone else in this thread. I am not picking sides or anything, i just want to know what i was supposed to be impressed by in that video. It looked to me as one ship was clumsily trying to face its target, then just sat there and took it. Was that npc pilots with bad ai or just a player who had no idea what they were doing?
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

But indeed Space Engeniers space battles are quite fun, and interestingly enough, in that game players also consider 40 Ship fleet battles Massive:
    40 SHIPS, not 40 PEOPLE
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Oh hey the Javelin. If I get an entire server together on this one ship I would have half a crew.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodwulf View Post
    Explain to me what was impressive about that clip. It appears to me to be 1 min 18 secs of one ship getting shot from another ship that is nearly beyond visual range. Then the targeted whale turns to face its aggressor while explosions are happening in seemingly random locations. The ship just floats there for a few seconds, appears to fire at a different target for a few seconds, then explodes in a JJ Abrams lensflare extravaganza? All the while in the same swampy looking cloud as the other clips.

For disclosure, i don't participate in the back and forth arguments that is Kenn\MrAnderson vs Everyone else in this thread. I am not picking sides or anything, i just want to know what i was supposed to be impressed by in that video. It looked to me as one ship was clumsily trying to face its target, then just sat there and took it. Was that npc pilots with bad ai or just a player who had no idea what they were doing?
    Great question!
    So the thing about these capital ships and well, about Star Citizen and it's game engine in general is how it can handle the game and it's assets being modelled at a 1:1 scale while maintaining fidelity and performance.

In the video I posts bellow you can see a space station and avatar players going moving around a lot of ships, small to heavy fighters along with bombers and even jack of all trade ships. You can notice the scale is quite big already when you compare ships with players and how everything is detailed and running well (sort of).

Now this is a picture on that same space station but with that big capital ship docked for scale.

And here's it beside the other "smaller" capital ship it exploded in the other previous video:

And how it looks like in person:
    Last edited by MrAnderson; 2021-02-08 at 04:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Great question!
    So the thing about these capital ships and well, about Star Citizen and it's game engine in general is how it can handle the game and it's assets being modelled at a 1:1 scale while maintaining fidelity and performance.

In the video I posts bellow you can see a space station and avatar players going moving around a lot of ships, small to heavy fighters along with bombers and even jack of all trade ships. You can notice the scale is quite big already when you compare ships with players and how everything is detailed and running well (sort of).

Now this is a picture on that same space station but with that big capital ship docked for scale.
    Okay, so the video i commented on showed a big ship.....sitting there getting shot from another ship a long ways away. So the size is neat but there was nothing going on in that clip. Heck the ship getting attacked did not appear to directly respond to the threat. Is this because it did not have enough people piloting it? Big ships are neat but that clip literally showed one ship attacking a nonresponsive whale.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodwulf View Post
    Okay, so the video i commented on showed a big ship.....sitting there getting shot from another ship a long ways away. So the size is neat but there was nothing going on in that clip. Heck the ship getting attacked did not appear to directly respond to the threat. Is this because it did not have enough people piloting it? Big ships are neat but that clip literally showed one ship attacking a nonresponsive whale.
    On that occasion there wasn't much more much more to happen than that ship blowing up as it was already heavily damaged. The only chance that ship could harm the bigger one at that range would be with the use of it's rail gun but by that time it was already too late.

It has turrets to attack small fighters or intercept missiles/torpedoes along with countermeasures.