Page 19 of 59 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    See this is confusing, there are states still paying under $6. Ill say "the min wage" is the lowest in the country, my personal interpretation.
    That's because reality has nuance. Something I wish more people would learn.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

See this is confusing, there are states still paying under $6. Ill say "the min wage" is the lowest in the country, my personal interpretation.

Either way, the list belf posted shows texas at 7.25 while cali is 8. 7.25 in texas is a lot more than 8 in cali.
    The minimum is 7.25 in accordance with federal law. States can mandate that employers can be forced to pay higher than 7.25, but no state can say employers can pay less.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poinen View Post
    Oh well, can't be as bad an idea as our Primeminister in Denmark.... borrowing peoples retirement funds to balance the budget.
    Not covering a five billion dollar tab with Medicaid isn't as bad? Grabbing a billion out of the highway fund? Truth in budgeting? Ha! More like smoke and mirrors.
    Last edited by SirRobin; 2012-11-12 at 09:46 PM.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

10+ Year Old Account

Either way, the list belf posted shows texas at 7.25 while cali is 8. 7.25 in texas is a lot more than 8 in cali.
    In the more expensive areas of California, like my home town of San Jose, very few places pay minimum wage, even fast food. In N Out when I left in 2006, for example, was $11.50/hour. It's probably more now.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    The minimum is 7.25 in accordance with federal law. States can mandate that employers can be forced to pay higher than 7.25, but no state can say employers can pay less.
    Not true.

The Act applies to enterprises with employees who engage in interstate commerce, produce goods for interstate commerce, or handle, sell, or work on goods or materials that have been moved in or produced for interstate commerce. For most firms, a test of not less than $500,000 in annual dollar volume of business applies (i.e., the Act does not cover enterprises with less than this amount of business).

However, the Act does cover the following regardless of their dollar volume of business: hospitals; institutions primarily engaged in the care of the sick, aged, mentally ill, or disabled who reside on the premises; schools for children who are mentally or physically disabled or gifted; preschools, elementary and secondary schools, and institutions of higher education; and federal, state, and local government agencies.

Employees of firms that do not meet the $500,000 annual dollar volume test may be covered in any workweek when they are individually engaged in interstate commerce, the production of goods for interstate commerce, or an activity that is closely related and directly essential to the production of such goods.
    Nuance, like I said. I still don't see how it matters in this discussion, though.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Not true.
    Oh? What did I miss? I thought states couldn't trump federal laws?

The economic prosperity of the US entirely lynch pins on a shift away from the wanton pursuit of capitalism. From this perspective Obama was and is the best option. Wanton pursuit of capitalist values is what got the US where it is today. A shift to a higher tax rate and short term economic stagnation is better than long term economic collapse, which is where the US was heading.....

Correct, but as I said, the federal law has many exceptions.

Gay marriage and smoking weed are good examples. It really makes no sense

lol. If Texas tried to forcibly secede, Obama could end it within a day with a single AC-130. an armored island of artillery at 25,000 feet with thermal vision vs. a bunch of rednecks with .22's, 9 millimeters, and shotguns. Don't make me laugh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gay marriage and smoking weed are good examples. It really makes no sense
    Marijuana doesn't really trump federal law. It's really up in the air whether or not the feds will enforce federal drug law in the two states that voted to legalize recreational marijuana use.

---------- Post added 2012-11-12 at 09:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Defengar View Post
    lol. If Texas tried to forcibly secede, Obama could end it within a day with a single AC-130. an armored island of artillery at 25,000 feet with thermal vision vs. a bunch of rednecks with .22's, 9 millimeters, and shotguns. Don't make me laugh.
    Texas has a national guard and several military bases. Not saying they'd win, but it's not exactly a pushover.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Ummm, Texas has one of the best economies in the US right now with some of the lowest unemployment.
    To say it has one of the biggest economies doesn't mean much when you are sitting on a huge oil field. How in the hell could these idiots not be rich, yet they have to cook the books to have a balanced budget.

If Texas elected to secede from the US it would send them bankrupt within months. It would be a stupid move that would have negative consequences on both sides of the fence.

Marijuana doesn't really trump federal law. It's really up in the air whether or not the feds will enforce federal drug law in the two states that voted to legalize recreational marijuana use.[COLOR="red"]

Texas has a national guard and several military bases. Not saying they'd win, but it's not exactly a pushover.
    Its a total pushover... You have watched that stupid Alamo movie too many times.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Obamatheone View Post
    Its a total pushover... You have watched that stupid Alamo movie too many times.
    Give me a break. I'm not a hardcore Texas statist. I grew up in California, for goodness sake. There are 7 Air Force Bases in Texas, 4 Army Bases, and 4 Navy Bases, in addition to National Guard forces. I'm not saying the US overall wouldn't win in a straight up fight, but to say that they'd roll right over Texas is silly.

http://militarybases.com/texas/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Military_Forces

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I don't see any reason for the United States to "invade" if Texas chose to secede. Unless, of course, it was just a minority deciding to make a power grab. In that case it would be hard to tell how much of its local resources that it could call upon. In fact, the smartest thing for the Washington to do, though not the nicest, would be to let Texas "die on the vine," so to speak. Just withdraw all the support they are getting from all the federal agencies and watch Austin flounder.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Give me a break. I'm not a hardcore Texas statist. I grew up in California, for goodness sake. There are 7 Air Force Bases in Texas, 4 Army Bases, and 4 Navy Bases, in addition to National Guard forces. I'm not saying the US overall wouldn't win in a straight up fight, but to say that they'd roll right over Texas is silly.

http://militarybases.com/texas/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Military_Forces
    How many of the troops stationed there are loyal to Texas? Yeah, there you go =-p

you guys do know that reeve isn't exactly yosemite sam, right? he is that favorite paradox, a rational texan

seriously reeve, why do texas's idiot gain the national spotlight so easily? we've all got a population of dopes, but ours dont make the news even if they do the same or worse. i mean look at this, 19 other states and all anybody talks about is texas, lol. texas needs to ban cameras and microphones or something

10+ Year Old Account
    Another question; How many of the men and women on those bases would actually fight for Texas, if it came to that?

(Just discussing, not arguing)
    Wiping is Fun! ™

Quote Originally Posted by Zdrasti View Post
    How many of the troops stationed there are loyal to Texas? Yeah, there you go =-p
    Rick Perry is their Commander-In-Chief.