Poll: Should circumcision be the person's own choice?

Page 10 of 89 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    be being influenced by preconceptions.
    Rather like say... The American Academy of Pediatrics?

I will admit I haven't read the whole thread, and as such will probably just be repeating something that's been said.

But to put in my two cents, I don't think it should be done for religious or silly "health benefit" reasons. It is mutilation.

And to answer the main question, I'll ask; Who old enough to make that decision is going to opt to have it done?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    Chronic masterbater here...I can confirm that it does NOT make it harder.

All jokes aside, in a perfect world all decisions concerning bodily autonomy would belong to the individual. That being said, I have no problem with parents deciding to circumsize their newbornes.

The American Academy of Pediatrics have determined that the benefits of circumcision outweigh the risks, and that's good enough for me.
    guarantee you it makes it harder lol

also idk how valid that pediatric academy thing is...people used to think (and still do) that the appendix is worthless

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    You do realise that there are men that have been circumcised in adulthood that can clarify to you that yes, they do lose sensitivity... now get your head out of your arse.
    And there are plenty who claim they don't. Now get YOUR head out of YOUR arse.

Quote Originally Posted by A Day to Remember View Post
    I wouldnt say it that way, my parents made the correct choice, the only choice in my eyes.
    Ofc it's the right choise in your mind, because cultural pressure has shaped you into accepting it as the norm. The reason I said you lost the argument was because you are implying you would make a same decision in completely different circumstances, and you can't know that you would. It would be like me saying I would sacrifice my own life to save a random child, there's no way I can know that before the moment actually arises.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    They need to put a scientific group together of males who are circumcised and not circumcised and test the sensitivity of them to put to rest this argument.
    They have done this and sensitivity lost is something like less than 5%.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    What benefits, there are none, unless its medically required.
    Medical benefits, including:
    A markedly lower risk of acquiring HIV, the virus that causes AIDS.
    A significantly lower risk of acquiring a number of sexually transmitted infections (STIs), including genital herpes (HSV), human papilloma virus (HPV), and syphilis.
    A slightly lower risk of urinary tract infections (UTIs). A circumcised infant boy has about a 1 in 1,000 chance of developing a UTI in the first year of life; an uncircumcised infant boy has about a 1 in 100 chance of developing a UTI in the first year of life.
    A lower risk of getting cancer of the penis. However, this type of cancer is very rare in all males.
    Prevention of foreskin infections.
    Prevention of phimosis, a condition in uncircumcised males that makes foreskin retraction impossible.
    Easier genital hygiene.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    guarantee you it makes it harder lol

also idk how valid that pediatric academy thing is...people used to think (and still do) that the appendix is worthless
    What, it takes 20 seconds instead of 18?
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    Quite, there are various types of steroid cream that get the job done. Only the most severe cases of phimosis require circumcision to treat.
    I had that done when i was a kid i think. Doctor put some lotion or cream and wrapped a transparent "band-aid" thing around it. Then let it sit for 10-20 minutes. Then came in and ripped it off - hurted like shit but that was it.

It's genital mutilation without consent, plain and simple. Sure, maybe most adults probably don't mind it; but wouldn't you rather have had the choice? Luckily, here in Sweden I believe this practice is rather rare.

There are no real benefits to this operation. It arguably makes it easier to keep it clean, but really why wouldn't you clean your private parts either way? And keep in mind, like most procedures; it always carries a risk operating on the body.

It's heavily related to religion, but seeing as we're not allowed to talk about that subject...
    Last edited by Dezerte; 2012-12-04 at 09:52 PM.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    It does without anesthesia. They practice that, too. You get to look at a nurse while she's cutting you. Seems fun, right?
    I've never met anyone who was circumcised that actually remembered the process.

Deleted
    I would greatly appreciate it if you could link this study.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Ofc it's the right choise in your mind, because cultural pressure has shaped you into accepting it as the norm. The reason I said you lost the argument was because you are implying you would make a same decision in completely different circumstances, and you can't know that you would. It would be like me saying I would sacrifice my own life to save a random child, there's no way I can know that before the moment actually arises.
    No, i can absolutely say id make the same decision, i find it to be a hideous disfigurement. If i had to look at it every day it would get removed.

Don't do unprotected sex with strangers. Next.

A significantly lower risk of acquiring a number of sexually transmitted infections (STIs), including genital herpes (HSV), human papilloma virus (HPV), and syphilis.
    See above.

A lower risk of getting cancer of the penis. However, this type of cancer is very rare in all males.
    Let's cut my testicles so I never get testicle cancer. Stupid.

Prevention of phimosis, a condition in uncircumcised males that makes foreskin retraction impossible.
    Easier genital hygiene.
    See above.

Easier hygiene? It literally takes 1 minute to wash your penis. If you're a skunk that showers once a week I can see how you'd want that.

How the unholy flying crap did they measure '5%'? I'm amused by bogus science as much as anybody but that's just silly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    What benefits, there are none, unless its medically required.
    Feel free to read their detailed study, it was put out just a few months ago. Google.

They were neutral on this issue for many years, and just recently changed to "the benefits outweigh the risks."
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Moontalon View Post
    I've never met anyone who was circumcised that actually remembered the process.
    Even tho his arguement is kind of silly, they can sedate you locally but yeah i wonder who thinks about that anyway when thats being done. as an adult!

Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    Medical benefits, including:
    A slightly lower risk of urinary tract infections (UTIs). A circumcised infant boy has about a 1 in 1,000 chance of developing a UTI in the first year of life; an uncircumcised infant boy has about a 1 in 100 chance of developing a UTI in the first year of life.
    Easier genital hygiene.

What, it takes 20 seconds instead of 18?
    just washing yourself solves almost all of those problems, next is solved by not being a skank.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Circumcision - Risks
    All surgical procedures have risks. Problems after circumcision are not common. Minor problems are short-term and may include:

Oozing or slight bleeding from the surgical site.
    Infection of the circumcision site or at the opening to the urethra.
    Irritation of the exposed tip of the penis (glans) as a result of contact with stool or urine.
    Long-term minor problems can include:

A complete removal of the skin covering the shaft of the penis, causing the penis to appear to have been completely surgically removed.
    Too much bleeding. Stitches may be needed to stop the bleeding.
    Serious, life-threatening bacterial infection.
    Partial or full removal (amputation) of the tip of the penis. (This is extremely rare.)

Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    Rather like say... The American Academy of Pediatrics?
    Because an entire organization is the same as some random dude.

Fuck it, that homeless guy on the street is now as valid a source as information on particle physics as the LHC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Waifu View Post
    Even tho his arguement is kind of silly, they can sedate you locally but yeah i wonder who thinks about that anyway when thats being done. as an adult!
    I'd wager that they're thinking something like "I really hope that doctor doesn't sneeze..."
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus