Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

10+ Year Old Account
    Since some people love to make this comparison....firearm deaths are now outpacing (and possibly exceeding) motor vehicle deaths.

The advances in car safety and technology have led to drastically declining fatalities. These technologies are constantly evolving, and being improved upon. Why is Congress refusing to mandate the same for firearms?

Eat yo vegetables

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    The advances in car safety and technology have led to drastically declining fatalities. These technologies are constantly evolving, and being improved upon. Why is Congress refusing to mandate the same for firearms?
    What technology will reduce firearm suicides?
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Licensing.

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    Licensing.
    How, exactly?
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

How, exactly?
    Training, mental health screenings.

Training, mental health screenings.
    This is why I asked about technology.

Licensing might prevent spontaneous acquisitions for the purposes of suicide, but does fuckall to prevent someone who already owns one from using it, or to prevent illegal acquisition.

This is why I asked about technology.

Licensing might prevent spontaneous acquisitions for the purposes of suicide, but does fuckall to prevent someone who already owns one from using it, or to prevent illegal acquisition.
    If they fail a mental health screening, they won't have the gun. Also, proper training can help stem the issue. For example, suicides are generally impulsive. If people are trained to keep their guns locked up and unloaded, this adds steps that can prevent the suicide.

If they fail a mental health screening, they won't have the gun. Also, proper training can help stem the issue. For example, suicides are generally impulsive. If people are trained to keep their guns locked up and unloaded, this adds steps that can prevent the suicide.
    So, we're just hoping to prevent spontaneous legal acquisitions. Locking up a gun does not prevent one from using it.

Which, again, is why I asked:

So, we're just hoping to prevent spontaneous legal acquisitions. Locking up a gun does not prevent one from using it.

Which, again, is why I asked:
    "If they fail a mental health screening, they won't have the gun. Also, proper training can help stem the issue. For example, suicides are generally impulsive. If people are trained to keep their guns locked up and unloaded, this adds steps that can prevent the suicide."

I guess yet again my point must be repeated for you to get it or address it.

oh noes it's an internet forum about gun control! lets have half of the americans loose their minds!

<--- Full disclosure: american who hasn't lost their mind.

"If they fail a mental health screening, they won't have the gun. Also, proper training can help stem the issue. For example, suicides are generally impulsive. If people are trained to keep their guns locked up and unloaded, this adds steps that can prevent the suicide."

I guess yet again my point must be repeated for you to get it or address it.
    I addressed your point, which wasn't even an answer to my original question, by pointing out that licensing only prevents spontaneous legal acquisition of firearms intended to be used for suicides.

It doesn't prevent an owner from using a firearm they already own and killing themselves with it.

Which is why, had you read, I asked about technology.

I addressed your point, which wasn't even an answer to my original question, by pointing out that licensing only prevents spontaneous legal acquisition of firearms intended to be used for suicides.

It doesn't prevent an owner from using a firearm they already own and killing themselves with it.

Which is why, had you read, I asked about technology.
    No, you didn't address my point. You ignored it and doubled down. Suicide is generally impulsive. The more steps between someone and suicide, the lower the chance they will go through with it. Being trained in how to properly store a gun can actively prevent suicides amongst gun owners, by increasing the likely number of steps between a them and shooting themselves. Furthermore, someone who fails a mental health screening is not necessarily there just to buy a gun to commit suicide. The problem is that they are more likely to enter a suicidal state later. If they were denied a gun, then when that happens that option won't be available.

No, you didn't address my point. You ignored it and doubled down. Suicide is generally impulsive. The more steps between someone and suicide, the lower the chance they will go through with it.
    Yes, I did. You're going to prevent acquisition of new legal firearms that people intend to purchase for the purposes of suicide. You aren't going to prevent illegal acquisitions intended for suicide or current owners from using already owned firearms for suicide.

I'll buy that this will prevent some suicides, how many, who knows? I'm already a proponent of mental health screenings, UBCs and mandatory training, so there is no need to argue about it.

Being trained in how to properly store a gun can actively prevent suicides amongst gun owners, by increasing the likely number of steps between a them and shooting themselves. Furthermore, someone who fails a mental health screening is not necessarily there just to buy a gun to commit suicide. The problem is that they are more likely to enter a suicidal state later. If they were denied a gun, then when that happens that option won't be available.
    You're going to need to provide a citation to make this claim.

Yes, I did. You're going to prevent acquisition of new legal firearms that people intend to purchase for the purposes of suicide. You aren't going to prevent illegal acquisitions intended for suicide or current owners from using already owned firearms for suicide.

I'll buy that this will prevent some suicides, how many, who knows? I'm already a proponent of mental health screenings, UBCs and mandatory training, so there is no need to argue about it.

You're going to need to provide a citation to make this claim.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/many-...ecision-2014-8

10+ Year Old Account
    I could think of several instances, though the technological aspect is really geared more toward intentional homicide/theft.

Why single out suicides?
    Eat yo vegetables

This is a nice story, but doesn't prove your claim. It takes a few seconds to open a firearm lock box.

Unless you have some new technology you think could be used? I know it's not what I asked originally or anything.

- - - Updated - - -

I could think of several instances, though the technological aspect is really geared more toward intentional homicide/theft.

Why single out suicides?
    Because it's a huge portion of the overall deaths, and arguably, the most preventable via technology.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    So taking his gun out to show some lady on the elevator and then fumbling around with it trying to put it in his pocket is an accident and not negligence, I'll remember this. If this weren't a cop it would be the irresponsible "gun culture". You're so obvious.
    Gotta agree 100% - this is pure negligence on the officers part.

It has nothing to do with him having his gun on this person, but everything to do with his actions in the elevator.

This is a nice story, but doesn't prove your claim. It takes a few seconds to open a firearm lock box.

Unless you have some new technology you think could be used? I know it's not what I asked originally or anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Because it's a huge portion of the overall deaths, and arguably, the most preventable via technology.
    My point was made, my source is solid, you are just playing more bullshit games and engaging in arrogant denialism.

10+ Year Old Account
    Having a firearm that can only be fired by its owner mitigates any chances of a teen using their fathers firearm to kill themselves with. I would think that technology would be invaluable.
    Eat yo vegetables

My point was made, my source is solid, you are just playing more bullshit games and engaging in arrogant denialism.
    Saying your source is solid doesn't prove your claim, champ.

You linked an article that says suicides is mostly impulsive. You claimed that properly storing a firearm "can actively prevent suicides amongst gun owners" and the article you linked doesn't address that claim.

- - - Updated - - -

Having a firearm that can only be fired by its owner mitigates any chances of a teen using their fathers firearm to kill themselves with. I would think that technology would be invaluable.
    I would certainly be a proponent of this kind of technology, provided it didn't have huge costs and wasn't prone to failure.