Page 28 of 65 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Racthoh View Post
    i'll play when they take the game off their shitty engine. oh wait that will never happen.
    You know, in patch 1.2 the engine issues were almost all solved.

I miss 1.2.

My laptop can't run 1.5/6 properly.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I still have seen nothing that makes me, a F2P player, to feel like buying the "expansion". I pay $20 for extremely limited access to what I purchased. If they add new raids I can't run them, can't run added battlegrounds very much, can't earn gear in new events, can't take up new crew skills. So what's the point of the purchase?
    As a F2P player I accept that I will have to pay for new content but unless I am getting full access I see no reason to be paying $20.

I should leave the WOW versus SWTOR stuff alone but I'm not. Lets compare subscribers of each taking a break.

WOW - Cost for them to come back and have full access to all content is $15 under current pricing model.

SWTOR - Cost for player to have full access to full content $15 subscription plus $10 per expansion equals $45.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmatrix View Post

I should leave the WOW versus SWTOR stuff alone but I'm not. Lets compare subscribers of each taking a break.

WOW - Cost for them to come back and have full access to all content is $15 under current pricing model.

SWTOR - Cost for player to have full access to full content $15 subscription plus $10 per expansion equals $45.
    Do you not pay for expansions in WoW?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I still have seen nothing that makes me, a F2P player, to feel like buying the "expansion". I pay $20 for extremely limited access to what I purchased. If they add new raids I can't run them, can't run added battlegrounds very much, can't earn gear in new events, can't take up new crew skills. So what's the point of the purchase?
    As a F2P player I accept that I will have to pay for new content but unless I am getting full access I see no reason to be paying $20.

Ow. Ow. OW! What does an aneurism feel like? You're forgetting the added levels. Any time you add levels in WoW, you have to pay $39.99.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Parrin View Post
    Ow. Ow. OW! What does an aneurism feel like? You're forgetting the added levels. Any time you add levels in WoW, you have to pay $39.99.
    Except that every holiday (like now) and any time they feel like it you can go from having none of the game to the original game and 4 expansions for $45.

Sorry for the obvious digression.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Do you not pay for expansions in WoW?
    Of course he would have to pay for the expansions. Unless you mean expansions as defined by Bioware then, no, those are called content updates in WoW and most other moden MMO's and there they are covered by the subscription fee, there is apparently one coming out to the PTR in january.

Quote Originally Posted by Parrin View Post
    I am wondering who asked for more levels or bigger bloat of abilities. Players were expecting free content update ... BW announced free content update ... why the change. Were the forums boiling with ppl screaming give us new levels/more abilities to use ?

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Zokonorb View Post
    Of course he would have to pay for the expansions. Unless you mean expansions as defined by Bioware then, no, those are called content updates in WoW and most other moden MMO's and there they are covered by the subscription fee, there is apparently one coming out to the PTR in january.
    Oh you've played the swtor expansion then?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Oh you've played the swtor expansion then?
    They have already admitted to adding only a single zone, those are free in other games along with endgame updates. If you want to argue they're gonna suprise us beyond our wildest imagination, history is not in your favour. If Makeb is so awesome and brings so much, why are they not showing it off right now? They were able to show at least something during E3, surely there must be more now when they're willing to charge people for it.

Not to mention they promised it would be free from the start.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Except that every holiday (like now) and any time they feel like it you can go from having none of the game to the original game and 4 expansions for $45.

Sorry for the obvious digression.
    I'm sure the price for the Hutt Cartel will come down at some point in the future. WoW would never offer a new expansion for less than their usual price for the first few months.

They have already admitted to adding only a single zone, those are free in other games along with endgame updates. If you want to argue they're gonna suprise us beyond our wildest imagination, history is not in your favour. If Makeb is so awesome and brings so much, why are they not showing it off right now? They were able to show at least something during E3, surely there must be more now when they're willing to charge people for it.

Not to mention they promised it would be free from the start.
    Pretty sure they never increased the level cap in a content patch for WoW.

I am also pretty sure that during Wrath, if you didn't have Wrath, you couldn't get to Northrend, same with Burning Crusade and Outland. Of course, you can now, but not when those expansions came out.

---------- Post added 2012-12-21 at 02:18 PM ----------

Also this. If you stopped playing WoW in Cataclysm, and came back for MoP, you would have to pay $15 + $45 = $60

SWTOR doesn't even have an expansion yet, so players coming back either pay $15 for full access, or $0 for F2P/Preferred access since that is an available choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Morros View Post
    Wow also never added a single zone and called in an expansion.

I'm not trying to defend WoW here but even EA said that makeb is about the size of voss/hoth/alderaan.
    It would be like if WoW charged you 10 dollars for firelands.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    Wow also never added a single zone and called in an expansion.

I'm not trying to defend WoW here but even EA said that makeb is about the size of voss/hoth/alderaan.
    It would be like if WoW charged you 10 dollars for firelands.
    Voss/Hoth/Alderaan are rather large planets, much larger than the Firelands in WoW. Considering that it takes a good amount of time to manually travel across those planets, and relatively no time to travel the entirety of the Firelands.

I could care less how many new zones they add, the thing I will be waiting for is how much actual 'content' the new zone has. Hoth was pretty barren for content compared to it's relative size, Voss did a bit better, but if they do it right, they can fit a lot of content into a zone that size.

I just really can't wrap my head around people complaining about it being and expansion and having a cost. This game is not competing with WoW (this should be obvious). All they are doing is trying to make money off it, which is the entire point of a business creating a product that is designed to be sold.

If you the consumer do not feel the product is worth it, you don't have to pay.

Also, I really hope all of you that are complaining are complaining on the official forums as well. Maybe the outcry of people not wanting to pay $10 for a 'content patch' will get a few more things added that they didn't actually plan on.

I really hope they scrap the idea of Cathar being playable.

I just really can't wrap my head around people complaining about it being and expansion and having a cost. This game is not competing with WoW (this should be obvious). All they are doing is trying to make money off it, which is the entire point of a business creating a product that is designed to be sold.
    If this was isolated issue then the response wouldn't be that strong. But in context of everything else that BW is doing ... f2p screwed many times over -> holiday event in cash shop only -> free content patch sold for $10-$20 because what ... they increased level cap by 5. I am really curious what their next move will be. Maybe end game raid gear in cash shop but recolored so it feels more special ... they already did that with space gear ... We have to wait and see.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Levels are just numbers, had they increased the level cap when they introduced silithus what would really have changed? Nothing really, players would do the quests in silithus that were there regardless, gain experience of of them in addition to only getting gold. And they would level up. Levels aren't content, levels don't change content, the only thing levels might change is how you approach content, in the case of silithus you'd have to do some quests before attempting ahn'quiraj. That's all the difference the oh so mighty level cap make. Claiming that alone is reason to charge people for it, is insane.
    That was a point I made earlier. They could have added Makeb without a level cap increase, released the quests and storylines setting up the next 4 months of content, and players would have done those quests and watched those storylines. So far, the only thing that remotely resembles an expansion is the level increase. For what? If they aren't adding anything new to the mix, if they aren't adding some new game mechanics or introducing something new for the endgame masses that isn't based around an Op, FP, or WZ, why the hell are they charging for it? At that point, it becomes glorified DLC. And the level cap is the only thing that makes it "glorified".

Levels are just numbers, had they increased the level cap when they introduced silithus what would really have changed? Nothing really, players would do the quests in silithus that were there regardless, gain experience of of them in addition to only getting gold. And they would level up. Levels aren't content, levels don't change content, the only thing levels might change is how you approach content, in the case of silithus you'd have to do some quests before attempting ahn'quiraj. That's all the difference the oh so mighty level cap make. Claiming that alone is reason to charge people for it, is insane.

Yes, and? The continent the expansion added was unavailable for those that didn't have it. Your point with this rambling is what exactely?
    You stated: They have already admitted to adding only a single zone, those are free in other games along with endgame updates. What game gives free zones in the size and scope of Makeb? Considering we know nothing about Makeb, it's kind of impossible to answer that. Considering that Voss, a comparable sized zone according to an official post, has a ton of stuff in it, and that WoW has never released a zone even close to that magnitude outside an expansion.

As far as the level cap, then why even have levels? We all might as well start out the same, with absolutely no level or anything.

You stated: They have already admitted to adding only a single zone, those are free in other games along with endgame updates. What game gives free zones in the size and scope of Makeb? Considering we know nothing about Makeb, it's kind of impossible to answer that. Considering that Voss, a comparable sized zone according to an official post, has a ton of stuff in it, and that WoW has never released a zone even close to that magnitude outside an expansion.

As far as the level cap, then why even have levels? We all might as well start out the same, with absolutely no level or anything.
    Methinks that your definition of "ton" is different from mine.

Deleted
    Levels are just numbers, they're not content, they don't change content. Had WoW added a new level cap with the silithus update what would have changed? Players would still do the same things, they would only get experience for kills and quests as opposed to just gold and items. That's all, it's not content, it doesn't change the content, the only thing it can do is change the way players approach content as they'd have to do some quests and kill some mobs before attempting ahn'quiraj.

All it adds is a few numbers on a scale, nothing even remotely tangible, to claim that alone makes something worth charging for is insane.

I am also pretty sure that during Wrath, if you didn't have Wrath, you couldn't get to Northrend, same with Burning Crusade and Outland. Of course, you can now, but not when those expansions came out.
    Yes, the area added by the expansions were unavailable for people that did not have them, what is the point of this, well, irrelevant rambling exactely?

Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    If this was isolated issue then the response wouldn't be that strong. But in context of everything else that BW is doing ... f2p screwed many times over -> holiday event in cash shop only -> free content patch sold for $10-$20 because what ... they increased level cap by 5. I am really curious what their next move will be. Maybe end game raid gear in cash shop but recolored so it feels more special ... they already did that with space gear ... We have to wait and see.
    See, opinions. Personally, I don't care about F2P, I like the Cartel Market, and it didn't bother me at all that they put Life Day items in the Cartel Market instead of making them available in game somehow. It also doesn't bother me that the expansion costs $10, WoW expansions cost $45 so it was way cheaper by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    That was a point I made earlier. They could have added Makeb without a level cap increase, released the quests and storylines setting up the next 4 months of content, and players would have done those quests and watched those storylines. So far, the only thing that remotely resembles an expansion is the level increase. For what? If they aren't adding anything new to the mix, if they aren't adding some new game mechanics or introducing something new for the endgame masses that isn't based around an Op, FP, or WZ, why the hell are they charging for it? At that point, it becomes glorified DLC. And the level cap is the only thing that makes it "glorified".
    I wonder if they thought that if they didn't increase the level cap then people might not go experience the new planet's quest line... and it was also probably a bit of "getting new levels is exciting" thought process going on.