If you lack inspiration for building stuff you can just pick something random from your favourite tv-show/famous building in real life or something and then try to create it in-game, still pretty fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I managed to build a small box with no top half during my Landmark play time.

Building stuff is not my "thing", so to speak.
    I built a large box

15+ Year Old Account
    Just snagged a seven day pass. Hopefully my PC can handle it. Have a small monitor and don't mind playing with low res/settings, so it should be fine.

Got Beta invite =
    Still no Mac client =

15+ Year Old Account
    Played quite a bit last night. Pretty cool, especially after I crafted the grappling hook. Started building an underground lair beneath the roots of a giant tree. Pretty steep requirements, though, hoping the optimize the graphics a bit more before release since my rig is struggling a bit with it.

For anyone interested, the official Landmark Blueprint (previously known as "Roadmap") was updated today. It lays out in great detail what the current development schedule is for the game, and also serves to illustrate how early a beta the game is in at the moment:

Source: Dave Georgeson via the official Landmark forums.

First Half of May

Oceans: The big empty areas around the edges of the islands will become filled with water, creating not only ocean but also bays and islands. When initially launched, Oceans will not have swimming or underwater behavior, but you can make claims in the water for the pure visual splendiferousness of it all, or along the many coastlines. (Swimming and underwater behavior will follow close behind. See second half of May.)

Caves: You'll be able to explore caves that connect to the surface, prospect all the way down through them, and dig through raw earth to uncover still other cave networks. All ore resource tiers will be available to all islands...they're just underground now. You'll also see the "Resource Detection" ability appear in the game so that you can detect the likely direction of resources as you dig through the world. Caves will continue to expand (a lot) beyond this initial offering, but this is what you'll see at the debut.

Player Studio: You'll finally be able to put up those templates you've been creating through Alpha and Closed Beta! Yup. This is the real-cash-payout system where you can sell templates through the Studio to other players! Format will be a lot like what you see when you start submitting your competition entries (with a bit more detail).

Newbie Friendliness: We have some big systems coming later (see Recipe Tracker and Achievements in June), but for now, we're going to put in some "quick fixes" designed to help all players, but to also let new players catch up with the rest of us quickly. Things like:

• A reference for looking up item recipes when you're out in the field (away from crafting stations)
    • A progression path diagram that lets you see "at a glance" the progression path of crafting tables (and what they can make).
    • Some basic help dialogs when you start the game and after you plant your first claim flag.
    • Some useful chat improvements ("General" chat tab, tear-off chat panes, some quick reply improvements, etc.)
    • Some game changes: You get all building tools when you plant your first claim flag, and all basic crafting tables will also be present at the Hub.
    • Oh yeah, and fixing your claim boundary visual so it's not so blue and bit-mappy.

Second Half of May

Customer Service Tools: Okay, maybe you're surprised to see us tell you about internal tools. Surprise! But just letting you know that we have work to do to let our CS team be helpful and efficient with Landmark. Some of the dev team will be building nice things for them so they can, in turn, be helpful to you.

Crafting 2.0: This is a lot of stuff, so some of it may slip to June. We'll see how it goes. This includes the Imbuing, Refining, Reinforcing and Salvaging systems that complete the Crafting 2.0 set of upgrades. (The first piece of that new rollout was Upgrading.)

Treasure Chests: Loot will start to spawn in the caves and you'll stumble onto it as you explore. (Yes, this is the start of a truly wondrous thing known as "the loot system". Fun things lie down this path and it starts here.

Biome-Specific and Time-of-Day Music Tracks: More Jeremy Soule goodness coming your way. And a new system that plays music oriented toward the current biome you're in, and also keys you into the time of day changes with signature themes.

VoiP: I can hear some of you saying "Why? We already have Ventrillo/TeamSpeak/VoiP'o'Choice". Good for you! But you'd be astonished that you are not in the majority of players. And this game really keeps your fingers busy sometimes. So VoiP is needed for socialization. And building it into the game ensures that everyone has access to VoiP, which is cool.

Underwater Features: Mostly, this means swimming features (although there is some fun Heroic Movement stuff associated with it). But also we'll add the underwater effects that are missing at the launch of Oceans and underwater foilage. Your sea claims will become much cooler.

Map Improvements: Wouldn't it be great to be able to actually find stuff on the map? Like where a player's claims are located? Or where most players are located right now? Wouldn't you like to be able to set a waypoint? Plus tags. You can search for tags on the map and find things easily. (A bit like how you do tag searches in the Showcase, only with real geographic reference in your local area so you can see where it is on your map!)

Minimap: For those that hate minimaps, don't worry...you can close it. But seriously, try it out. It'll be chock full'o'info. And useful!

June

Okay, June is a bit further away, so we'll just state goals for the whole month instead of doing two-week chunks. We'll slip things around in order, probably, but these are the goals for June.

MyStore: Your personal interface into your own Player Studio business.

Glass: As a building material. Let's see what sorts of voxel goodness you can do with that!

Improved Character Creation: You didn't think the character create you see now was final, did you? Much more is coming. The presentation of that area will be overhauled, there will be more body types and customizations you can make, and more.

Claims 2.0: Claims have been in a functional, but simple state for a bit now. During June, we'll be making it so you can push a button to place a claim-sized template and letting you swap between those templates easily. ("Mood of the Day" claims, anyone?) We'll be adding the "claim cap" system (where you earn more claims as you game), we'll allow more claim add-ons with variety of ownership (for the true town-type buildouts), and overhaul the upkeep system to be what was designed (instead of the current 8-day system we're using now).

The Economy: Merchants, so you can swap out resources for coin (which pays for upkeep as well as being a handy commodity for trading between players), and the Market Stalls at the Hub (so you have a place to set up shop for travellers passing through).

Death!: Yup, health and damage systems are coming into the game. Along with the ability to die, we'll also be adding Shields, which is a system of defenses you can use to avoid that pesky death thing.

(A Surprise Feature that will get Added Here after a bit More Confirmation with Coders so they don't Lynch Me...check back again Soontm )

More Map: Fog of war will appear on the maps (unveil them as you explore so you can see where you've been already and explore the rest), and you'll be able to see the maps for other islands and worlds! (Currently, you can only see your current island's map. Getting to see other maps will be useful when you want to find specific biomes or seeing where claim space is available.)

Recipes & Achievements: Remember those quick fixes we did back in early May? These are the real systems. A recipe book which lets you gather recipes as you explore, only able to make them *after* you find them, not immediately at all crafting stations. The current design was a shortcut for Alpha. Also Achievements, which is a great system for not only rewarding you for doing cool things as you play, but also as a useful (and optional) way for players to discover the game when they come to it originally.

Social Systems: A simple label for a LOT of stuff. This is Chat 2.0 (where we overhaul the current chat system for sets of improvements like links, add the MOTD feature so we can tell you important and cool stuff happening in the game, as well as configuration and channel options), and also an overhaul of Groups (for more options and integration with new features), and we add Guild support.

Voxel Water: Yup. Water becomes a usable material. Now that's going to create some interesting buildouts!

July

Hoo boy. This stuff is probably going to change. We move stuff around...a lot...as we develop, but here's our *current* plans for July.

Character "Wearables" System: Say goodbye to the single-piece outfit and hello to the ensemble of parts. This allows a lot more character customization, but it also sets up the systems we need for armor...which we need for Combat. (Oh, the segue.)

Combat: This simple word is composed of one heck of a lot of systems and effort. And is the bulk of what's coming in July.

• Pathing: Voxel worlds are really, really tricky when it comes to competent AI pathing. But July is when we intend for you to see it in action.
    • Abilities: Abilities you can craft and earn, as well as all the necessary abilities for the monsters you'll face. (Monsters? Oh yeah...those too!)
    • Physics: Remember that voxel world? Yeah. Interaction with that requires physics.
    • Targeting: Both for the players and the monsters. (Many different systems.)
    • Projectiles: Projectiles are a completely separate system from melee.
    • Monsters and Loot: There's no PvE without enemies, and little reason to endanger yourself without loot. (An extension of the Treasure Chest system.)
    • All of this is a relatively unsexy way to describe something that's going to bring a ton of danger, adrenaline, and life to the game. We'll unveil how we're going to debut this all into the game closer to July, but the plans are highly cool. It should be fun.

SOEmote: Machinima creators, rejoice. SOEmote makes its public debut in the game. In addition to the real-time face manipulation, it's also intended to let you record your own emotes, as well as letting you disguise your voice on VoiP (for roleplaying or anonymity).

Above-Sea-Level Water: Ponds and lakes at various altitudes across the islands. More variety of environment and the overall feel of them gets closer to where we want the islands to be aesthetically.

August

As much of this as possible before SOE Live in mid-August. So we've seriously got our work cut out for us. This team is amazing, but still human. We have to rest some time. So we'll see. But here's the plans.

Building Tool Refinements:

(NOTE: Building tools refinements will be ongoing throughout Closed Beta. It's being mentioned here because the refinements should be "open-beta ready" at around this time in the schedule. But improvements are continuing from now until this time.)

We've all been working with these tools for a long time, and we've gotten used to (mostly) their foibles, but foibles they do have, and they need to go away. We're gathering feedback on all the tools and making refinement designs. (Your feedback is always heartily encouraged!) Sometime in July or August, those improvements will find their way back into the game. Sometimes we won't wait that long (like with the Smoothing Tool refinements...don't worry...we didn't forget).

Mounts: Yup. Horses are the first goal. We'll see about more.

Dynamic Water: Flowing water that you can manipulate with buckets and voxel dams and culverts. Have fun!

A Few Final (for now) Words

And that's as far as we're willing to plan forward at this point. (Schedule errors tend to compound and planning beyond four months is mostly an exercise in futility except in the very coarsest of predictions.) Obviously, there are other things we've talked about that aren't on the list (like PvP and dungeon mastering). Those are coming...but not until after August.

Since you read this far, hopefully you'll read the rest. It's important. Your mileage may vary! ALL of these dates are best-guess at the moment. We change our priorities based on what occurs within the game and in reaction to how we see you play and your feedback! (Also, sometimes we're just wrong about how long things will take.) But we will try to update you frequently so you know what to expect.

And we love hearing feedback. Lay it on! Thanks!
    Last edited by Bigtimmy; 2014-04-30 at 05:20 AM.

“There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't fuck up combat please. Granted I wouldn't really focus on that much still for this kind of game.

Certainly looks exciting. We'll see how it works
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    That is an ambitious road map which sounds amazing. Can't wait to try it out again in a few months.
    BAD WOLF

15+ Year Old Account
    Anyone making a Landmark for the competition and can show some screens perhaps?
    Junglebeast @ Stormscale EU |

I'm new to Everquest Next. Just a quick question. When will we see Everquest Next in action? I see this world building "Landmark" tool (that's all that this Landmark thing is, right?). But I'm not interested in that, only in the MMORPG. Where can I get images and videos from that?
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    I'm new to Everquest Next. Just a quick question. When will we see Everquest Next in action? I see this world building "Landmark" tool (that's all that this Landmark thing is, right?). But I'm not interested in that, only in the MMORPG. Where can I get images and videos from that?
    There is a very good chance we'll hear more about EQN at SOE Live this year. That's like their Blizzcon, so big announcements tend to get saved for it. By that time, Landmark should be in or nearing it's open beta phase. They haven't talked about EQN much yet since they've been focusing on developing Landmark and they didn't want to confuse people.

Really, the majority of what we know about EQN itself comes from Dave Georgeson's presentation at SOE Live last year. If you're new to the game, want to learn a little, and don't mind watching a longish video, it's not a bad place to start:

(This is part 2; part 1 is just a huge intro with like 30 minutes of some guy sand painting)

To answer your question about Landmark: it's kind of an MMO, just not an MMORPG. The main focus is building things.

“There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimmy View Post
    There is a very good chance we'll hear more about EQN at SOE Live this year. That's like their Blizzcon, so big announcements tend to get saved for it. By that time, Landmark should be in or nearing it's open beta phase. They haven't talked about EQN much yet since they've been focusing on developing Landmark and they didn't want to confuse people.
    Really, the majority of what we know about EQN itself comes from Dave Georgeson's presentation at SOE Live last year. If you're new to the game, want to learn a little, and don't mind watching a longish video, it's not a bad place to start:
    (This is part 2; part 1 is just a huge intro with like 30 minutes of some guy sand painting)

To answer your question about Landmark: it's kind of an MMO, just not an MMORPG. The main focus is building things.
    Thank you. Yes I saw that video last year and expected that there are tons of new infos now... guess I was wrong. It sure looks promising and Everquest is the father of World of Warcraft (WoW’s Lead World Designer Alex Afrasiabi started out as the infamous guild leader of the Fires of Heaven an EverQuest raiding guild). So I expect big things from them
    Last edited by Kryos; 2014-05-07 at 09:03 PM.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

10+ Year Old Account
    Just got invited to the closed beta, I think. I am not sure if this mail is legit. Can anyone verify?

YOUR ACCOUNT HAS BEEN ACTIVATED
    Congratulations <USERNAME>,
    You've got seven days of access to the Landmark Closed Beta, beginning now! If you redeem an additional Time-Limited Closed Beta key, that seven days will be added to your total. There is no limit to the number of Time-Limited Closed Beta keys you can consume. See below for information on how to download the client and begin playing
    DOWNLOAD AND INSTALLATION
    1. Please click here. You will be directed to the Landmark login screen.
    2. Please login with your Station Account.
    3. Click on the download button to start the download process.
    4. When the download prompt appears, choose ‘Run’ to immediately begin.
    5. The installer will run you through setting up your install and it will automatically create a shortcut on your desktop.
    6. Please open the launcher and login using your Station Account.
    7. Read and accept our Closed Beta Agreement.
    FORUMS
    With your acceptance into the Landmark Closed Beta, you will have access to the forums, which are located here:
    http://forums.station.sony.com/landmark
    These forums will allow you to provide feedback and read about upcoming changes to the Closed Beta client. This is also where we will organize test events, so be sure to check in regularly and make yourself a part of the community.
    Thank you and we look forward to seeing you in Landmark soon!
    The Landmark Team
    Sony Online Entertainment LLC
    www.soe.com
    "There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you." -Mazer Rackham - Ender's Game Orson Scott Card

@Rendia
    if in doubt actually go to the landmark official page and log in you should be able to DL the client that way, or even got the forums they have a post with the official DL link so you know it's legit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, nevermind about the beta. They upped the system requirements substantially and my rig would have barely been able to make it before. Oh, well. Would have been fun to try it out.
    "There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you." -Mazer Rackham - Ender's Game Orson Scott Card

10+ Year Old Account
    System requirements are kinda... ehhh. I think it's better if you can try it out yourself and see how it goes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't see them mention movement improvement at all. The movement in this game is currently absolutely horrible. It makes the game so unfun for me ;/

Didn't see them mention movement improvement at all. The movement in this game is currently absolutely horrible. It makes the game so unfun for me
    Maybe the developers don't believe the movement system is "absolutely horrible" and thus it is not a priority &/or cause for refinement at this time. I think movement is superb in Landmark.

What players believe ≠ what developers believe.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2014-05-11 at 02:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Maybe the developers don't believe the movement system is "absolutely horrible" and thus it is not a priority &/or cause for refinement at this time. I think movement is superb in Landmark.

What players believe ≠ what developers believe.
    So they haven't had any complaints about the movement and the camera functioning slowly? 'Cause the camera turning is really slow and feels sluggish.

Quote Originally Posted by Ermahgerd View Post
    So they haven't had any complaints about the movement and the camera functioning slowly? 'Cause the camera turning is really slow and feels sluggish.
    Maybe. But it's very likely the developers receive complaints about a great number of things from the ears on elves to movement to the placement of the mini-map.

That doesn't mean developers view all complaints equally. Even if they might be very important to you, players.