Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Does anyone think the new expansion will bring...

People back to this game? If so, for a long period of time, or do you think it will fail?

As a starwars fan, I really want this game to be good. It's sad that the first game was disappointing.

I wonder if EA realizes what they screwed up on in the first game and attempt to make the game how people want the game to be.

Deleted
    I doubt it, people don't tend to give games a second chance when they f*** things up from the very beginning, which is perfectly good reasoning in my opinion. It's too bad though :P

Honestly, with the current state of the game and their pricing structure for the expansion, I don't think it's going to be a big boost in return players. There's much more incentive for subscribers to pick it up than free players as it stands, and even less so (pricing wise) to resubscribe for the reduced price.

I think it'll definitely get a boost, but IMO it won't be too big. I'm willing to bet we'll see another round of info pop out in the next few weeks as they try another round of selling the expansion before their earnings call at the beginning of Feb.

Probably not. Especially since information about it is pretty sparse too. Not to mention a lot of things implemented since it went free to play haven't been without some major bugs. Cartel market where money is sometimes spent but the item is never received and a worthless legacy family tree come to mind. They don't have the greatest track record is what it comes down to.

Also, finish your thought in your title. You'll get more input than fishing for some with ...

I think it probably will be a boost in people playing (likely more new people than people returning and likely more f2p than boost in subs). How long it lasts though depends on what else they do in terms of managing the game.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say no.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Considering they haven't shown us anything to make me think this is an 'expansion', I don't imagine it's going to bring many people back at all. Even people that love this game aren't exactly excited about it. The only people absolutely raving that this is the second coming of the sith lord are fanboys. With some time to add lots of stuff, maybe they will surprise everyone though.

Newer players are probably still plowing through a restriction fueled leveling process, to which they might be exhausted at the end. Then again, they are a completely new audience who haven't had to suffer through the last year's mistakes like we have. Maybe a new flock to pull wool over? If so, then yes it's going to bring new players to replace the once they have lost. Overall the amount of people playing will not change other than some decline.

I don't expect this strategy to last very long. If they don't figure out how to get their act together before they run out of people, the game will be done.

10+ Year Old Account
    My instinct is that it will push people away by segregating those that have purchased the expansion and those that haven't (mostly probably F2P players or even Subscribers who are just playing through different class storylines).

Deleted
    Some will return to try out the 'paid-patch'. Making it free for subscribers would have been much more successful in bringing ex players back imo. BW instead made their calculations and determined that they're best served by charging. Pity.

I'm looking forward to it and am hoping that the Chapter 4 storylines (Rep/Imp) are enjoyable. A new Operation or 3 would be nice though.
    Last edited by mmoc3d23c7f243; 2013-01-14 at 08:58 PM.

I think I'm kinda excited too. That might be because I never level capped when I subbed at launch, though.

Whatever, we'll see what they bring to the game when it gets closer to release.

I'm going to say that it will drive allot of people away....

Buying for a expansion seems kind of counter productive when the game itself is f2p....

Increasing the level cap for only paying people will create a split between people with expansion and without, this can only lead to hurting the game itself.

I think it is too soon for a real expansion... If it is a half-expansion as it seems AND it invalidates current content, then it's waaaay too soon. If this becomes a lineage-style expansion, then it should be fine and might bring more people. It all depends on what they plan on release. Since they haven't really stated anything, we can't really know...

We know nothing about the expansion. I'm hoping that it is some kind of huge gameimproving patch to fix swtor's problem and that they sell it as an addon to generate hype. But that's probably just wishful thinking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by frigoffrick View Post
    People back to this game? If so, for a long period of time, or do you think it will fail?

As a starwars fan, I really want this game to be good. It's sad that the first game was disappointing.

I wonder if EA realizes what they screwed up on in the first game and attempt to make the game how people want the game to be.
    Frankly I hate this game and would not play it if my guild didn't need me : /. But if they don't do some stuff to make juggernaut dps as good as marauder (the dps gap is fine its just how much more utility marauder has which made me feel forced to play one) in this xpac then I am definetly unsubbing.

Deleted
    Is there any precedent that a game that went f2p resurged with an add-on? Any? So I ver ymuch doubt it.

For me, I will most likely ditch my subscription and go preferred when Heart of the Swarm comes out in March and buy the SWTOR expansion and re-subscribe if guildies and remaining players like it. That's the good thing about f2p. You can check the player base's reaction in game and aren't dependant on whoever's opinion on third party platforms.

10+ Year Old Account
    I unsubbed, and currently not playing the game at all.
    I'm a major Star Wars fan, but i can't justify the sub atm, the game needs some new activities IMO, Space Combat on rails or PvP don't interest me, and the PvE portion is a gear treadmill i started to lose interest on. Some form of "Dynamic events" in planets, the so ever suggested Class Styled quests (Bounties for BHs etc.) and more small story arcs (i really liked the HK-51 mini story/gameplay) would be cool.
    So in short, ill wait for the details of this DLC or Expansion or Paid patch, whatever you guys call it to see if anything remotely inovating (in SWTOR at least) is implemented.

Edit: Just realized i was a bit off topic, if not totally. OT: I don't think SWTOR will see a huge increase in Subbers or people playing. Some will buy it if they left the game at some point in the past and see if its worth sticking around, some will go into Hype mode and buy it regardless of the features it delivers or not but i think the big audience for this "expansion" will be the people already playing the game , subbed or not.
    Last edited by Razael; 2013-01-15 at 02:16 AM.

Between my Empire and Republic character, I have over 50 people on my friends lists; not one of them has logged on since April. I don't think they are coming back for anything.

Personally, I'd be more inclined to cancel my internet forever than I would be to buy the Rise of the Cartel Coin "expansion". I don't care what they add to this disaster, the passion is gone and the game is a dud in my eyes. No fancy coat of paint will ever change that.

Quote Originally Posted by thevoicefromwithin View Post
    Is there any precedent that a game that went f2p resurged with an add-on? Any? So I ver ymuch doubt it.
    If it does in fact raise the level cap only for players who purchase the expansion, I can't think of one that's happened within the first year of a transition. I know LOTRO/DDO/EQ2 and a few others have launched full expansions, but those came well after the transition once the population had stabilized for quite some time.

Doubtful at this point. Maybe if they pour a ton of cash into advertising for it, but if not, forget about it.

To be honest, there hasn't been enough of a change to warrant people coming back. The endgame content is still woefully lacking. Plus there's still no world PvP and the space combat is really just more of the same. If somebody didn't like it back in March, they're probably still not going to like it now.