Page 9 of 596 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    Yikes. They would need over 10M sales to break even considering they of course don't get the full retail price back. I think this is way too risky.

They didn't announce any microtransactions or subscriber perks did they?
    Considering they don't get anywhere near the full $60 from retail copies (and get more, but still not full price from digital), they'd need to sell well over 10M to break even.

And they haven't said anything about post-launch monetization (beyond multiple sequels/expansions), but I'd imagine that at the very least, it would come with DLC/season passes.

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    I'm horribly disappointed that Destiny doesn't appear to support any kind of world PvP, but aside from that I'm pretty pumped.
    We can expect the instanced (arena?) pvp to play very much like Halo though, which from my experience could range anywhere from amazing to mediocre to horrendous. If they learned anything from that then they would see that the convoluted stuff (Reach) sucks and they need some good clean barebones PvP (CE, H2).

Who knows though, at this point.

Also given the ambitious goals and concepts of this game, their budget doesn't surprise me in the least. They're trying to break new ground again which is something Bungie hasn't done in a long long long time, but they were good at it once.

I really really hope bungie doesnt fuck the pooch on this one. They have been in a downward spiral for a long time after they peaked with halo 2. and the firing of thier music director upsets me greatly as i loved his work.

So far, Destiny appears to be no more than Warframe in first person. Would like to see an update from the devs and see what they are going to do to make their game unique.

Quote Originally Posted by jermo22 View Post
    $500 Million to develop this game! That's a lot of money to put into something that is unproven. Lets hope it works out.
    Jeeezus fukin Christ....I went to make sure this game is B2P.

Seriously I hope that money went into what matters in the game and not the overpaying of VAs.

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    So far, Destiny appears to be no more than Warframe in first person. Would like to see an update from the devs and see what they are going to do to make their game unique.
    Exactly my toughts
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    How hard would it be to let Xbox 1 and 360 players play together on the same servers? (serious question, sorry if that's a stupid question)

Quote Originally Posted by jermo22 View Post
    How hard would it be to let Xbox 1 and 360 players play together on the same servers? (serious question, sorry if that's a stupid question)
    Hard I'd assume. Don't count on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Hard I'd assume. Don't count on it.
    Don't count on it for sure but I don't think it's that hard. I mean FFXIV players play together on the PS3, PS4 and PC.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I mean I know its NOT going to happen. I was just curious to see how hard it would to accomplish that.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Considering they don't get anywhere near the full $60 from retail copies (and get more, but still not full price from digital), they'd need to sell well over 10M to break even.

And they haven't said anything about post-launch monetization (beyond multiple sequels/expansions), but I'd imagine that at the very least, it would come with DLC/season passes.
    have to consider ingame cash shop.

i don't get the risk they are taking. dropping half a billion dollars and not targeting all plateform?
    i know, GTA5 did it (well 250 really) but GTA is a very well recognized brand name, destiny is a new IP.
    their business strategy puzzle me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    have to consider ingame cash shop.

i don't get the risk they are taking. dropping half a billion dollars and not targeting all plateform?
    i know, GTA5 did it (well 250 really) but GTA is a very well recognized brand name, destiny is a new IP.
    their business strategy puzzle me.
    Also, it's been hit with the "MMO" brand.
    Pretty much the kiss of death from console player perspective.

They are trying to distance themselves from it but it's too late for that.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    Also, it's been hit with the "MMO" brand.
    Destiny? Not really. Bungie have stayed away from using that as a descriptor for the game like it's the black plague, and gaming media haven't even pushed it too much (likely because of their relationship with Activision/Bungie).

10+ Year Old Account
    Still no PC release? Can't they ditch the 360 and PS3 and make a PC release :3 pretty-please

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Still no PC release? Can't they ditch the 360 and PS3 and make a PC release :3 pretty-please
    Perhaps you didn't read their indepth blog post saying that they already have their hands full with just trying to make a PS3 edition of the game in addition to actually getting the online to work, so they are not going to do a PC version yet because if they did then the game would just be sloppy. Their resources can only extend so far.

- - - Updated - - -

Destiny? Not really. Bungie have stayed away from using that as a descriptor for the game like it's the black plague, and gaming media haven't even pushed it too much (likely because of their relationship with Activision/Bungie).
    In all reality, it is an MMO. Sure, you may not get to actually wander around and see tons of other people all the time, but it is still an MMO. The longer Bungie refuses to admit the game for what it truly is will just bring on a harder wave of realization at launch when their Halo fans buy the game thinking it to be a pure, Halo co-op experience.

Also, I have carefully reviewed all the data on the game, to see if there are any differences between Destiny and Warframe other than the first person. There is not. Hopefully, Bungie can devise some truly unique ideas for the game, otherwise the comparisons between WF and Destiny will quickly ramp up.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    I really really hope bungie doesnt fuck the pooch on this one. They have been in a downward spiral for a long time after they peaked with halo 2. and the firing of thier music director upsets me greatly as i loved his work.
    You mean their music director who left them? BTW he also finished his work on Destiny long before he ever left. His music is in the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Most estimates put SWTOR around $2-300M, but there's no confirmed number that I've seen. There's a single estimate at $500M, but that's an outlyer that's well above most estimates.

But yeah, the budget is ludicrous. They're either playing the very long game with this, or are expecting to hit insanely strong initial sales, with very high attach rates for DLC, which is a gamble.
    Almost all of that budget is marketing and creating the engine, the game itself is probably costing 1/5th of that budget to actually make. This is activision creating a brand, and it's not just about the first game it's about brand recognition and starting a series that can reach sales like GTA/CoD. They aren't concerned with making that money back on the first game, they are concerned with making it back x20 over the course of the gen as once the game gets more and more popular they have to spend less on brand recognition and marketing. They also will have an engine that will support the series for 6-8 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Also, I have carefully reviewed all the data on the game, to see if there are any differences between Destiny and Warframe other than the first person. There is not. Hopefully, Bungie can devise some truly unique ideas for the game, otherwise the comparisons between WF and Destiny will quickly ramp up.
    First person plays much different, and certainly tighter than a third person game. That's a huge difference and unique enough to split it from Warframe with that alone -- especially since Bungie is most likely ten times more refined in their process over Digital Extremes. While the mechanics of the games are going to be similar, if it plays just like Warframe but much better and in first person... I don't know if they need to do much more than that.

You mean their music director who left them? BTW he also finished his work on Destiny long before he ever left. His music is in the game.
    Marty was fired without reason.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/16/h...red-by-bungie/

His scores on previous bungie games have been nothing short of amazing.

Isn't the 500M for the upcoming games to? think they have a contract for 5 years atleast with the IP. 500M budget for one game sound like alot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Isn't the 500M for the upcoming games to? think they have a contract for 5 years atleast with the IP. 500M budget for one game sound like alot.
    AFAIK the 500M is for the whole starting of a new big franchise. I doubt that includes the next games too because a lot of these 500M is for setting up the whole infrastructure like servers, the new engine, marketing (which is important if you want to establish a new franchise that you want to be as known as HALO or COD) and creating the first game.

Kottik has already said that the future Destiny games (10 year publishing deal with 3 games/expansions) are going to cost a lot less than these 500M (probably even 1/3 of it) so this is just the starting investment to get the series known and set up the infrastructure that can support the game for 10 years.