Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    oooh that might explain why im doing no damage, my AR has almost no impact, when i go head to head with someone im not even getting their shield down before im dead, ill switch back to my hand cannon for a while then.

still, it would be nice to win a game once in a while...
    I keep a green assault rifle on me that has nearly 35% impact. I'm sure guns are balanced given rate of fire and impact and stability (the other stats im unsure about) but the issue is you've got to find something you can reliably headshot with. A slow (high impact) AR or a slow (high impact) Pulse rifle are the least feast or famine IMO.

All DPS is equal, but a really high ROF will make you miss shots (crazy fast AR), and a really low ROF will make missed shots more punishing (hand cannon) - find a middle ground for effectiveness across the board.

I think a faster AR is designed around making you "flinch" but to be honest the flinching isn't that bad in this game.
    Last edited by 87Octane; 2014-09-15 at 05:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I got a question for anyone that has tried that heroic strike zone on the moon with the giant ogre boss. How do you beat that boss? I played that zone last night with 2 other guys around level 22 light, we struggled with that boss so much. After 4 attempts I quit. It's insane you get thrown into an area with relatively small amounts of cover and you have to fight a boss that can 1 shot you with plasma bombs, not to mention the endless adds that spawn in all directions. On our last attempt we managed to bring him down to 70% health before we spent the next 15 min running around rezzing each other until eventually the last man standing died.

I've done almost all the strike zones on heroic and that one is absurd, either we where doing it completely wrong or it's way over tuned. Bungie needs to check the health pools on some of the bosses. I'm fine with a challenge but when it takes around 25-30min to down 1 boss it can become pretty boring.
    "I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids. "
    -
    General Jack D. Ripper.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullmetal89 View Post
    So I got a question for anyone that has tried that heroic strike zone on the moon with the giant ogre boss. How do you beat that boss? I played that zone last night with 2 other guys around level 22 light, we struggled with that boss so much. After 4 attempts I quit. It's insane you get thrown into an area with relatively small amounts of cover and you have to fight a boss that can 1 shot you with plasma bombs, not to mention the endless adds that spawn in all directions. On our last attempt we managed to bring him down to 70% health before we spent the next 15 min running around rezzing each other until eventually the last man standing died.

I've done almost all the strike zones on heroic and that one is absurd, either we where doing it completely wrong or it's way over tuned. Bungie needs to check the health pools on some of the bosses. I'm fine with a challenge but when it takes around 25-30min to down 1 boss it can become pretty boring.
    There is a limited number of adds, just keep killing them and pretty soon you'll just be playing peekaboo with the boss. His lower stomach takes double damage, yellowish part. The Ogre breaks free once he takes X amount of damage - so it's smarter to engage the adds while he's chained up.

There should really only be maybe 8 waves of adds culminating with a wave of 2 Wizards and a few Knights. Everytime i've done it we've taken cover to the left side of the room (left once you walk out). Two of the waves spawn above you, but other than that you don't have to watch your back very often. Most of the adds get dropped off on the lower platform and you can still engage them while they come up the stairs from cover.

Another tip, for some reason everyone uses their Super or Heavy Ammo on the boss, which is a waste. Save them for tougher adds like Wizards, Knights, Minotaurs, Captains etc.
    Last edited by 87Octane; 2014-09-15 at 05:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 87Octane View Post
    There is a limited number of adds, just keep killing them and pretty soon you'll just be playing peekaboo with the boss. His lower stomach takes double damage, yellowish part. The Ogre breaks free once he takes X amount of damage - so it's smarter to engage the adds while he's chained up.

There should really only be a handful of waves of adds culminating with a wave of 2 Wizards and a few Knights.

I know about the weak spot on the ogre, didn't know that adds stop coming. Well other than me the 2 guys in my group where focusing solely on boss, which is obviously not ideal since we have to deal with the adds and I spent the better half of the fight making sure at least 2 of us where alive. I'll give it another go tonight, hopefully I'll get matched with a group that has better coordination. Just got frustrated last night with that fight, every time I think we got a breather from the adds. A whole wave would spawn with those annoying sword knights that can corner and kill you pretty easily.

Ty for the info, I'll definitely focus on adds more next time. Just got a new hand cannon that I want to test out, so I'll be looking forward to that hellish strike zone lol.
    "I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids. "
    -
    General Jack D. Ripper.

I added more to reply, but yeah really memorization is the key to success. You learn when to pull back and when to let loose, save your Supers/Heavy for Knights and Wizards.

I for one can only do Summoning Pits once a day. It is one of the tougher fights. Usually I like to immediately go left and shotgun down the thralls that run at you. get behind the rocks and equip my sniper and take out the adds across the way on the balcony. Sniper will also take out alot of health on the boss. When adds spawn you need to focus them down.

Also the boss's weak point is the blue sac on its stomach.

Oddly enough I got the "Don't Die in a Strike" bounty from Summoning Pits. I was kicking ass and taking names with my handcannon.

- - - Updated - - -

oooh that might explain why im doing no damage, my AR has almost no impact, when i go head to head with someone im not even getting their shield down before im dead, ill switch back to my hand cannon for a while then.

still, it would be nice to win a game once in a while...
    Also try using the Fusion Rifle for your special gun. It changed my game completely. Also takes me a game or two to leave the PvE mindset of taking cover and switch to the PvP mindset of don't ever stop moving and jumping.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JLKrombacher View Post
    I for one can only do Summoning Pits once a day. It is one of the tougher fights. Usually I like to immediately go left and shotgun down the thralls that run at you. get behind the rocks and equip my sniper and take out the adds across the way on the balcony. Sniper will also take out alot of health on the boss. When adds spawn you need to focus them down.

Also the boss's weak point is the blue sac on its stomach.

Oddly enough I got the "Don't Die in a Strike" bounty from Summoning Pits. I was kicking ass and taking names with my handcannon.
    Yeah the hand cannon has been my main weapon since I got a blue one in Mars. That thing hits almost as hard as a sniper with head shots and is pretty damn quick to boot. I still need to get a good shotgun though, especially for PvP since I go Blademaster for Crucibles, it kicks ass.

I added more to reply, but yeah really memorization is the key to success. You learn when to pull back and when to let loose, save your Supers/Heavy for Knights and Wizards.

Yeah good idea saving the super's for strong adds. It hardly does dmg to the boss.
    -
    General Jack D. Ripper.

10+ Year Old Account
    got my first purple!!

its a rocket launcher! would have prefered a main or secondary weapon, but this will do!
    As wifey loves me to say when the going gets tough and adds get rough...

ITZ BAZOOKA TIME, BITCH!!

- - - Updated - - -

He is no where even close to the amount of bullshit the Nexus boss is at that level. No. Where. Near.

Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post

- - - Updated - - -

He is no where even close to the amount of bullshit the Nexus boss is at that level. No. Where. Near.
    Yeah that's the first thing I thought of when he was complaining about the Pits lol. The Ogre's ranged attack is very slow and telegraphed, not to mention the projectile is HUGE so you can clip it on cover with ease. The Nexus boss has giant, nearly instant projectiles that have a huge explosion but a hitbox the size of a pea. They can get you if you have an eyelash out of cover...If you get hit by one, you'll likely get hit by the splash damage by the one after it, even in cover.

Plus the adds actually spawn on top you, not in a room, or above you or from a ship - but literally ON you.
    Last edited by 87Octane; 2014-09-15 at 06:37 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post

- - - Updated - - -

i don't mind the nexus boss that much, one i hate most is probably archon priest, at least phogoth and nexus thing just stay in the mid and spin around, easy to hide from, archon priest runs around the map, adds spawn all over the place constantly so you have to keep moving, hate it.

with nexus boss you just go to the opposite side of the room you enter from, theres like a lowered down bit, no enemys spawn down there, they spawn just outside the area so you can see them coming and there is plenty of cover from the boss, but it only really works if not everyone goes down there, the worst thing on that fight is when your teamates follow you so the boss never looks away, you need to split up so different people keep grabbing his attention. and phogoth, just hide and kill adds until they stop spawning, after that you could probably solo the fight, all he does his stand shooting his lazers.

but the archon priest... doesn't matter where you stand there will be an add spawn nearby, and even if you do find a good spot, the boss will walk up there so you have to run around, then you get stealth adds, don't show on radar so if 2 of those come up behind you, you're dead.
    Last edited by mmocef2fdcc82b; 2014-09-15 at 07:09 PM.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    The one I dislike the most is the Dust Palace boss, the Psion Flayers. Not because they're really hard or anything, but their shield is fairly big, and when it's down they constantly try to hide.

Hardest boss is probably the archon, since as peggle said, he's running all over the map and adds keep spawning, so one wrong move and you can get caught off guard. That said I don't think I've died on that fight yet, instead I die to silly things like the hax rockets from the Cerberus Vae boss, or (shame on me) the spider tank's explosions.

Deleted
    on the mars dungeon i found the way to cheese the tank boss.

save the interceptor vehicles when you enter the outside area, kill the 3 mini bosses at the tower, then go back and get the interceptors, and nuke the tank. so much easier.

i don't mind the nexus boss that much, one i hate most is probably archon priest, at least phogoth and nexus thing just stay in the mid and spin around, easy to hide from, archon priest runs around the map, adds spawn all over the place constantly so you have to keep moving, hate it.

with nexus boss you just go to the opposite side of the room you enter from, theres like a lowered down bit, no enemys spawn down there, they spawn just outside the area so you can see them coming and there is plenty of cover from the boss, but it only really works if not everyone goes down there, the worst thing on that fight is when your teamates follow you so the boss never looks away, you need to split up so different people keep grabbing his attention. and phogoth, just hide and kill adds until they stop spawning, after that you could probably solo the fight, all he does his stand shooting his lazers.

but the archon priest... doesn't matter where you stand there will be an add spawn nearby, and even if you do find a good spot, the boss will walk up there so you have to run around, then you get stealth adds, don't show on radar so if 2 of those come up behind you, you're dead.
    The Archon priest is really the most engaging boss fight so far, at least you have to keep moving and use the elevation/shortcuts to your benefit. Really most of the bosses are large and stationary, even the three bosses in Dust Palace are "tied" to places and sorta only come at you if you engage them. The Archon is one of the tougher bosses but for the same reasons I think it's the most fun.

I do not understand why more people don't use the tanks on the tank. I just go out there and strafe in/out of the cover in the back of the arena and he's down quickly.

I hope they have a lot more varied strategies in bosses in the future - they could have a boss where all you have to do is survive for X time, or killing adds makes him weaker, or killing adds near him hurts him, or you have to lure him into traps that you shoot etc. etc.
    Last edited by 87Octane; 2014-09-15 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattleya View Post
    The one I dislike the most is the Dust Palace boss, the Psion Flayers. Not because they're really hard or anything, but their shield is fairly big, and when it's down they constantly try to hide.

Hardest boss is probably the archon, since as peggle said, he's running all over the map and adds keep spawning, so one wrong move and you can get caught off guard. That said I don't think I've died on that fight yet, instead I die to silly things like the hax rockets from the Cerberus Vae boss, or (shame on me) the spider tank's explosions.
    Me and another person here on MMO-Champ run Defender Titan's. It makes the Psion Flayers a joke. We simply clear trash and spawn our shields, one after another on top of the bosses and just nuke them down with shotguns and melee hits. What makes it even more awesome is we drop our motes and the other one picks them up so we have our shields back up insanely fast.

Deleted
    The Archon priest is really the most engaging boss fight so far, at least you have to keep moving and use the elevation/shortcuts to your benefit. Really most of the bosses are large and stationary, even the three bosses in Dust Palace are "tied" to places and sorta only come at you if you engage them. The Archon is one of the tougher bosses but for the same reasons I think it's the most fun.

I do not understand why more people don't use the tanks on the tank. I just go out there and strafe in/out of the cover in the back of the arena and he's down quickly.
    yeah i agree he's probably one of the more fun bosses, i just hate how many times i have died on him because some stealth reaver vandals spawned near me and i didn't see them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JLKrombacher View Post
    Also try using the Fusion Rifle for your special gun. It changed my game completely. Also takes me a game or two to leave the PvE mindset of taking cover and switch to the PvP mindset of don't ever stop moving and jumping.
    Yeah I'm actually playing it almost like I played Quake. A lot less speed of course but I'm triple jumping around shooting people from the sky. A lot of people I notice are playing it like CoD. It's fun to destroy them.

I just wish it was easier to get your hands on special ammo. Then I could use my rocket launcher more often for the ultimate Quake like experience.

seems everyone uses the rocket launcher as the heavy weapon. Anyone use the machine gun? since I use a handcannon and sniper rifle, I find the machine gun to provide a better balance than using the rocket launcher

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    seems everyone uses the rocket launcher as the heavy weapon. Anyone use the machine gun? since I use a handcannon and sniper rifle, I find the machine gun to provide a better balance than using the rocket launcher
    The machine gun is insane. I used it up until I got my purple Rocket Launcher *high fives peggle*

If I end up with a purple machine gun I'll switch to that. Machine guns vaporize people.

Deleted
    i used the machine gun for a while, it does come in handy in some situations, but overall i just prefered the rocket launcher :|

I was thinking about that today - when I get heavy ammo in PVP I only get 2 rockets. Do you get a full clip or two with a MG? I think the idea is that the rocket launcher is a guaranteed fast kill but the MG is capable of killing more players/enemies but still requires some time/gunplay (risk). It's a tradeoff.