Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post
    1 Corinthians 7. All the reason needed to either marry or not marry.
    You mean:

1 Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman.

2 Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.
    ? So as a last resort to avoid burning in hell?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonix80 View Post
    This.

The sad thing about modern society is... the special meaning of marriage have been lost today. Many people today are just in for themselves rather than in for others. Not just that... many people today think marriage = less taxes, which is bullsh*t reason to get marry. It should be all about love, a geniue love.
    You mean like political alliances between families, dowries, bride prices and so on?

Marriage was barely about love at all in the past. It was very much a social, financial and political institution. Thus the proliferation of arranged and unwilling marriages. If anything the idea that marriage is about two people in love is more a modern thing! Love used to be what mistresses were for...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    while i dont agree with the whole religious angle, i feel marriage absolutely can have a special meaning. it has as much meaning as the couple put into it
    Just like sex.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Ethos, wanna get hitched? Vegas wedding.
    I think we'd have to go to Canada for it to be legal, no?

All you're points show is that you simply don't care about any woman beyond sex, so of course marriage would seem pointless.

You find someone talking about wanting kids "ridiculous" why? Unless you are a teenager, there is nothing wrong about wanting babies.
    X

That's where we disagree. God invented marriage and have been since the days of Adam and Eve. If you want to view marriage as an "economic" then you really don't understand the real meaning of marriage. Not much I can do nor will try to convict you to change your views on marriage. I, for one, embrace the idea of marriage.
    Wait... what? Okay i gotta comment at this. Where exactly did you get this info? Also marriage is in countries that have never even herd of your God. Here in Denmark there are less religious people than there are people who do not believe in any god. But we are still one of the countries in europe where marriage is most common. Heck from a study i read recently it stated that there are more divorces in America than in scandinavia... and i can assure you that we are a lot less religious here than in America. The concept of marriage have changed, and is now simply a mutual agreement between 2 parties to be together. It is not religious in any way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Marriage is not needed indeed (neither religious nor everywhere else) but it's nice if both parties want it.

Besides that it's economics and laws. As in getting access to certain rights and the ability to file taxes together (which is bad without children here, but w/e)

Marriage is about as religious as apple pie. (As in, not very).
    What if apple pie is your god?

meh. i think theres good reasons either way. not in any hurry myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Being married is great! There are tons of benefits both financial and emotional.

Quote Originally Posted by DieFichte View Post
    What if apple pie is your god?
    if eating the deity is ok i might sign on for that
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

I know people disagree, but I think marriage is good only if you plan on having children. By being married you're entitled to certain legal presumptions which may help you out in case of any unfortunate events that may occur. Besides that, no there's no point in getting married and if you don't plan on having kids it's probably best that you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Glassmage View Post
    Ideally you should not have someone lecturing you on the merits of marriage when she cannot take criticism for how she lives her life. Obviously she has not considered the costs of creating and caring for children of her own.

Some reasons I can justify not getting married at present are:

1. Financial situation, holding down a job for a decent period of time to support a family.
    2. I still have stuff to do before I consider myself ready for a lifelong commitment like that, this should not be taken lightly at all.
    3. Finding the "right" one, I won't go flying around to and fro just looking for someone out of the blue. Usually when you least expect it, they would come to you if you put yourself out there normally.
    4. Making mistakes resulting in divorce, this one is really a hot button issue for me. Nowadays there's barely any prenuptial agreements if things do go south anyways. Haste makes mistakes in this case in choosing someone, I don't feel like doling out 50% of my stuff to someone that is a leech at best. I doubt even if its legal in most states though.

Ultimately, the choice is up to your personal comfort level and what you feel like doing with your life in the end. If the marriage is forced, arranged, or whatever in negative circumstances under duress, then I wouldn't consider it to be legitimate anyways.
    I wish people looked at marriage and kids logically instead of basing decisions off emotions. Lets have a kid, why? We are married and i love you, oh ok but can we afford a child? No but we can get assistance and barely get by right? Marriage would be a nice tax write off and sharing expenses is helpful but if you are doing well you can lose half of what you worked hard for. No ty. I would rather date, friends with benefits, stay in shape, date younger women who arent in such a hurry to get married, enjoy life with friends and hotter younger girls.

This.

The sad thing about modern society is... the special meaning of marriage have been lost today. Many people today are just in for themselves rather than in for others. Not just that... many people today think marriage = less taxes, which is bullsh*t reason to get marry. It should be all about love, a geniue love.
    As opposed to the old reasons like raping a virgin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I think we'd have to go to Canada for it to be legal, no?
    I live in Washington. /purr
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think the better question to the OP is : if you're really seeing six girls at a time (which I very highly doubt, but for the sake of argument I'll amuse you), then why do you care what one of them thinks or says? Women are obviously nothing but objects for your amusement, in your mind. Just act accordingly.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Thats completely wrong, its always been the celebration of pairing for life with your loved one. Even animals pair for life and celebrate it with dances, we just celebrate with ceremonies.
    /facepalm

Gods of science, strike down these heathens!

10+ Year Old Account
    /facepalm

Gods of science, strike down these heathens!
    Is gravity a god of science? Because just hand me some heavy objects then!

10+ Year Old Account
    Its something to decide for yourself. If you're happy having casual sex and loads of freedom, keep doing what you're doing. If you find a girl you truely love then wait it out and see how it goes, maybe you don't need to get married because you can just be life partners. This idea that everyone needs to be married is totally retarded and archaic.

See I live with my girlfriend, shes kind of cool sometimes, but the majority of the time shes a psycho bitch that trys to control me. I know I won't ever marry her because of this one flaw and no she will never change. The amount of times we've argued over the issue of being a dictator she thinks nothing is wrong and starts doing the same shit straight after the fight. The only reason im with her is because I love the other side of her which is amazing. Shes also a super freak in bed and kind of convenient to split rent with whilst im at uni. Only downside is ill be slamming the same poonanny for the next 3 years unless I cheat on her which would kind of suck because then id have to tell her and she would dump me and id be homeless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Heres how an argument works, first I tell you my side, then you tell me yours, then we proceed to debate until both sides reach an agreement.

You dont say "/facepalm" and then dismiss an argument because you have bugger all to contribute.
    Well, he's a few facts for you.

1) Animals mating for life is actually rather exceptional, and 'mating for life' is a very loaded term since even species that 'mate for life' often have polyamorous hierarchies.

2) Humans, especially not males, are not naturally a monogamous species. Men are naturally inclined to spread their seed, as it were. Monogamy is actually counterintuitive from an evolutionary standpoint because it limits your ability to propagate your genes.

3) Marriage has not always been about love; historically speaking, for the majority of its existence it has been about the merging and exchange of assets during which women were treated as chattel to be bartered off in exchange for some sort of repayment.

Well I'm an old fashioned conservative right-wing 19-year old. To each his own I guess.
    I think marriage is a beatiful and sacred commitment, and I cherish the idea of having that one person that you love above all else on earth and share everything with.
    I love the idea of growing old together, strong family bonds and a feeling of security and unconditional love for your soulmate, your children and your entire family.

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Dydric View Post
    no good reason to get married these days! Can anyone think of a good point of getting married!

1. I get sex on a regular basis.
    2. don't have the annoyance of a woman calling my house all day.
    3. I really don't believe a man should take care of a woman. women should work at all times exactly like a man should, or starve.

the reason I bring is up is because, I've been talking to this girl for a while (I also have 5 women on the side) and she's trying to judge me saying. every man should get married at some point in his life. this I feel is very judgmental and wrong, what do you all think? also she's bringing up the baby conversations, ridiculous.
    It's not for everyone. Some guys never get out of that "bang every chick i see" stage, some never enter that stage.

To be blunt (and this may get me reported): I'm not sure how old you are or who you are, but you sound like a guy who is 18-22 and either was brought up poor and is extremely driven and hates anyone that appears to be weak or a freeloader, or you're a rich kid who had everything handed to him and doesn't know what a hard day's work is. You sound like a prick. You shouldn't get married until you mature a little bit if ever.