Page 50 of 56 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Am I the only one who wishes Nintendo would just give up on making bullshit systems and just port their IPs to Xbox and Playstation? I'll give them some credit, they definitely found a way to stay alive with Wii when their hardware was far behind Sony and Microsoft. But the Wii U... just sucks. Ever since the Gamecube I haven't bought a Nintendo system - they just don't get a great assortment of games.

I want Zelda, Mario and DK on my Xbox One/PS4.

Sorry, just hate every time I read about a new Zelda game coming out and know I won't be playing it because I'd have to essentially pay $300 for the system and the game.
    Except that they do. Nintendo has the most diverse and enjoyable first party (exclusive) line up of all the consoles. You're not paying $300 for a single game, you're paying $300 to play all of their many high quality games, and their consoles are pretty damn cheap to boot.

Xboned on the other hand has... Halo, and Gears of War? (Rofl) Playstation has a more diverse lineup, but ultimately the majority of both games are on Xbox, Playstation, and PC. All you really need is one of those and a Wii U to have most of the best games.

In other words, deal with it or buy a Wii U. Nintendo is still extremely successful and they will most likely never go third party, certainly not any time in the foreseeable future.

In a worst case scenario where Nintendo stopped creating home consoles (this is extremely unlikely to occur, let alone any time even remotely soon), they would simply take all of their exclusives to their handhelds, where Nintendo essentially controls the market by a wide margin (besides cell phones, which are a bad joke to compare with and are not real gaming devices).

Posts like this are painfully sad to read. You're whining about buying a console because the games aren't good enough, because you want to play the exclusive games on the console. It's like dividing by zero.
    Last edited by therealbowser; 2014-05-13 at 01:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootandkill View Post
    Why? I enjoyed Colosseum and XD.
    They also made Battle Revolution.
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Am I the only one who wishes Nintendo would just give up on making bullshit systems and just port their IPs to Xbox and Playstation? I'll give them some credit, they definitely found a way to stay alive with Wii when their hardware was far behind Sony and Microsoft. But the Wii U... just sucks. Ever since the Gamecube I haven't bought a Nintendo system - they just don't get a great assortment of games.

I want Zelda, Mario and DK on my Xbox One/PS4.

Sorry, just hate every time I read about a new Zelda game coming out and know I won't be playing it because I'd have to essentially pay $300 for the system and the game.
    And I want Halo, Uncharted, and Metal Gear Solid on my PC. You see, we all can't have nice things.

Sorry to say but when I read immature, whiny comments such as not wanting a Nintendo game on a Nintendo console, you either get the console or deal with it. I love Nintendo IPs, so I got a Wii U. I had fun with Wind Waker HD, 3d land, and Wonderful 101. Especially with Mario Kart 8 and Smash Brothers being online focused, $300 isn't really that much, on top of not having to subscribe to PS+ or XBLG. I have no interest in the Xbox One or PS4, and it's not looking like I will any time in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Apparently you don't pay attention to the gaming industry.

Changing the way a series plays is the biggest form of crybaby bait in the industry.
    I disagree, I would say stagnation is the biggest form of "Crybaby bait" as you put it.

I mean, one only has to glance around to see complaints about "CoD/Zelda/Mario/Halo/Whatever never adds anything new, theres no innovation"
    Yeah, there's the people who complain about the change then sometimes, failing to realize that it's what they were asking for, but still.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I disagree, I would say stagnation is the biggest form of "Crybaby bait" as you put it.

I mean, one only has to glance around to see complaints about "CoD/Zelda/Mario/Halo/Whatever never adds anything new, theres no innovation"
    Yeah, there's the people who complain about the change then sometimes, failing to realize that it's what they were asking for, but still.

Submitted without comment.
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

It's the honeymoon effect combined with nostalgia.

Month Super Mario 3d World came out: Amazing game, people should buy a Wii U for it, great combination of 2d and 3d mario.

Super Mario 3d World forums now: Blech, game was overhyped, we need another Sunshine or Galaxy this isn't real 3d Mario.

Every popular game eventually draws heat from internet hipsters, but you don't want the heat coming from your core fan base(just look at what is happening to Final Fantasy) and messing with core Pokemon gameplay would do just that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm okay if nintendo just keeps releasing handheld systems. That's where they really shine at imho
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampz View Post
    inb4 "flying is a major part of the reason I have fun in wow!"
    Buy a fucking flight sim then

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Losing money on one system after nearly 30 years in the business isn't something to worry about.
    Aye, that was a bit hyperbolic from me :P

I'll wait and see over the next 2 years, hopefully the Wii U will dump its price even more, I would definitely pick it up over a ps4/xbox for the right price, primarily because I don't console game enough to warrant the price at the moment.

It's the honeymoon effect combined with nostalgia.

Month Super Mario 3d World came out: Amazing game, people should buy a Wii U for it, great combination of 2d and 3d mario.

Super Mario 3d World forums now: Blech, game was overhyped, we need another Sunshine or Galaxy this isn't real 3d Mario.

Every popular game eventually draws heat from internet hipsters, but you don't want the heat coming from your core fan base(just look at what is happening to Final Fantasy) and messing with core Pokemon gameplay would do just that.
    Final Fantasy is failing because of genuinely bad design, not because it tries something new. The serie has "freshed" itself up many times over by now and often succesfully. They simply fucked up with later incarnations.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

I picked up the Wind Waker HD Wii U bundle back in December for £249, since then I've got Sonic Lost World, Mario 3D World, DKC, ZombiU, Lego Hobbit, Child of Light and Mario Kart 8 on pre-order - I don't regret a thing.

I find it kinda funny though about the Wii U lacking hardware, Mario 3D World looks as good as anything on PS4/XBONE and just look at Mario Kart 8. The hardware is more than capable as long as developers actually put the effort in and utilise it.

Quote Originally Posted by Krommm View Post
    Since I agree and it should happen, I'll regurgitate what's been said. It would be amazing if they went software only like Sega outside of their own handheld system since they have always been good.
    And what is Sega today? ...nothing. A company that's remembered only for their time as rivals to Nintendo in the 8-bit and 16-bit era.
    The gaming industry need Nintendo to try new gaming concepts since Sony and MS just make mediocre sofa-computers over and over again.
    Mother pus bucket!

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    You're right, but posting losses 3 years in a row is something to worry about for any company. Doesn't mean Nintendo is going to go bankrupt in the next 5 years, it just means changes need to be made. What that means for nintendo, I have no idea but it is fairly naive to think Nintendo can just keep playing business as usual.

Nintendo will support the Wii U until 2016/2017 I am sure and try their best to salvage it. Their next home console will likely be something completely different however.
    Nintendo needed to make changes after the Wii, that's the problem. Their pride makes them stupid and they will never admit that they screwed up which is why they will try to keep the Wii U on the market despite dismal sales. I guess they will probably have to reassess after they have released Smash Bros and some of their larger IP's on the system, if those games sell well enough and move more units, then maybe it has a chance. Right now though, they needed to start making changes a while ago, it's not too late to get into the market with a new next gen system.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Final Fantasy is failing because of genuinely bad design, not because it tries something new. The serie has "freshed" itself up many times over by now and often succesfully. They simply fucked up with later incarnations.
    Not really. Bravely Default is more akin to the traditional Final Fantasy formula than any part of the Lightning saga, and that game sold well enough to make Squeenix openly acknowledge that they had been more or less ignoring the core JRPG market and that they were going to get back into it.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Which they did announce they are going for change. One big thing is they're going to start being more involved in the health business it seems.
    http://www.destructoid.com/nintendo-...s-271378.phtml
    http://www.destructoid.com/iwata-nin...--273900.phtml

And personally, I think they'll be able to make the Wii U at least more popular than the Gamecube was, it has the potential, but the issue is getting the momentum.
    That won't do anything for their shitty console sales though. At best it generates more cash flow, but it does nothing to fix their mistakes as a gaming company.

That won't do anything for their shitty console sales though. At best it generates more cash flow, but it does nothing to fix their mistakes as a gaming company.
    Other than low console sales for the Wii U, what are their broader mistakes as a gaming company?

Both their last-gen consoles (DS/Wii) sold very well, and had strong software sales. And their current handheld console is still doing well both in terms of hardware and software sales.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Not really. Bravely Default is more akin to the traditional Final Fantasy formula than any part of the Lightning saga, and that game sold well enough to make Squeenix openly acknowledge that they had been more or less ignoring the core JRPG market and that they were going to get back into it.
    Too bad that ignorance revelation hasn't put release dates for the Dragon Quest games that are still available for the 3DS internationally. Final Fantasy has been bad for such a long time and they are doing a sequel for Bravely Default so that tells me that people want traditional RPG's with a solid character development system and a good story. To be honest, I like the old school design more anyway, as long as the job system in a game has some modicum of depth to it and variety, it will be good.

- - - Updated - - -

Other than low console sales for the Wii U, what are their broader mistakes as a gaming company?

Both their last-gen consoles (DS/Wii) sold very well, and had strong software sales. And their current handheld console is still doing well both in terms of hardware and software sales.
    Consider how many franchises they have abandoned over the years that they can't be bothered to make. People have been begging for a new F-Zero game, Star Fox is due for a new and good title, but they pump out Mario instead.

Quote Originally Posted by rennadrel View Post
    as long as the job system in a game has some modicum of depth to it and variety, it will be good.
    ffx-2, baby! Dress based job system!!!!!

Consider how many franchises they have abandoned over the years that they can't be bothered to make. People have been begging for a new F-Zero game, Star Fox is due for a new and good title, but they pump out Mario instead.
    Oh, I totally agree that they could be supporting some of their IP's much better. There are definitely a ton of people who would love a new Star Fox game, a new Metroid game, or a new F-Zero game. But if they're not delivering it, I'm not going to cry big crocodile tears. I'll be disappointed, but I'm not going to get pissed at Nintendo or anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will admit I'm eagerly looking forward to some of the Wii U games that are in the pipe. Mario Kart looks as fun as always, and that free game perk that comes with it sounds nice. And of course Smash Bros.

And I was looking forward to some I already own a bit too much it seems. I kinda beat most of Super Mario 3D World in less then a week. It was kinda too easy until World Castle. I'm hopeing the post game provides more of a challenge. I was so eager to unlock Rosalina I didn't realize just how quickly I was clearing the game.

ffx-2, baby! Dress based job system!!!!!

Oh, I totally agree that they could be supporting some of their IP's much better. There are definitely a ton of people who would love a new Star Fox game, a new Metroid game, or a new F-Zero game. But if they're not delivering it, I'm not going to cry big crocodile tears. I'll be disappointed, but I'm not going to get pissed at Nintendo or anything.
    F-Zero is dead. The last game as well as the anime that was meant to go with did horribly. If the Anti-grav feature in Mario Kart 8 does well it MIGHT have a chance at revival, but I doubt it.

Metroid is also questionable for the time being, Other M did horribly, mostly because from what I've heard, it really is a bad game due to the guy in charge not listening and demanding everything his way.
    Last edited by Time Sage; 2014-05-13 at 08:18 AM.

Nintendo needed to make changes after the Wii, that's the problem. Their pride makes them stupid and they will never admit that they screwed up which is why they will try to keep the Wii U on the market despite dismal sales. I guess they will probably have to reassess after they have released Smash Bros and some of their larger IP's on the system, if those games sell well enough and move more units, then maybe it has a chance. Right now though, they needed to start making changes a while ago, it's not too late to get into the market with a new next gen system.
    If Nintendo trotted out a next gen system in 2015 it would be an even bigger disaster for them then the Wii U.

Who is going to want to buy a console of a company that will get negative press out the rear for only supporting a console for 2-3 years and dumping it?

Nintendo needs to support what they have on the market. All of their major IPs will likely reach 3+ mil sells with their releases on the Wii U still which are all very profitable, some may reach the 6-8 mil range later on. Their changes need to come with better planning to avoid the situation happening again, rushing a new console out the door isn't going to do anything but get them negative press and alienate their core fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Sage View Post
    F-Zero is dead. The last game as well as the anime that was meant to go with did horribly. If the Anti-grav feature in Mario Kart 8 does well it MIGHT have a chance at revival, but I doubt it.
    It's a shame because GX was an amazing game and graphically it was probably the best looking title on the Gamecube. Sega took F-Zero to another level imo.