View Poll Results: What do you think about this incident?

Voters
570. This poll is closed
  • The Dubai governemnt did the right thing

32 5.61%
  • The woman did something wrong

18 3.16%
  • Everyone involved did something wrong

111 19.47%
  • The woman did nothing wrong, it was the Dubai government's fault

409 71.75%
Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I bet she forgot to dress like nun or ninja.
    Atleast I heard stories coming from little less Arabic countries then uae, whereshowing hands, hair, feet even below knees is like a sign you are free. While its very sad that happened to her, but im fairly positive she did something wrong to call this on herself.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Okay wait just a minute.

Hold up for a second.

No one is saying she did anything wrong.

What we're saying is you can't simply ignore the fact that she took a risk working there and got burned.

When you do something that is known to be dangerous by reasonable people, and you roll snake-eyes doing so, you are not absolved from all criticism just because you are a victim.

Roy Horn got bit by a fucking lion and half the people went "No shit? I can't believe it took this long" when they heard about it.

Timothy Treadwell spent years playing with bears and wound up getting shat out by one.

Pippa Bacca hitchhiked across the Middle East alone and in a wedding dress. Wound up raped and murdered.

The list goes on and on. No one instance of this is more or less tragic than any other, but they all have something in common. Each person took a serious risk doing what they were doing whether they knew/acknolwedged it or not. They are all tragedies but that doesn't absolve them of being criticized.
    Can't believe you guys are still trying. These people are iron-bound in their conviction not to see a difference in truely blaming someone for a crime, and merely chastising them for not exercising their full power in avoiding putting themselves in situations that can lead to said crimes. It's mostly hilarious, but also a tad sad. Especially considering how often they do it on a daily basis without realizing it.

The most ironic part, whether people want to believe it or not, is that it is all these "victim-blamers" that end up reducing the amount of victims that there would've been in a world where NO ONE was told that it was possible that their own actions could potentially put them in the crosshair of a criminal. That doesn't make the victim the one pulling the trigger. What it makes the victim is someone who's stupid as fuck, and certainly not a role model worth emulating, so when said victim's actions are criticized, it is done ultimately with the hope that less people end up in the crosshair by following his shoes. Remind me what you victim-idolizers are doing to prevent rape?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not that people are blaming the victim for getting raped....it's more of a "why the fuck did she go to Dubai?" thing. Both are kind of in the wrong here.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Andaja View Post
    I bet she forgot to dress like nun or ninja.
    Atleast I heard stories coming from little less Arabic countries then uae, whereshowing hands, hair, feet even below knees is like a sign you are free. While its very sad that happened to her, but im fairly positive she did something wrong to call this on herself.
    Someone i know told me that prostitues in Iran show their leg barely above the knee to make it obvious that they are prostitues. Now extrapolate that to how most western females dress.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shudder View Post
    If you had experienced what it's like to be raped I think you'd find you'd be disgusted with people blaming the victim and making excuses for rapists. There is no excuse for it. I don't give a shit what their laws are and whether or not she knew about them before she moved there. Nowhere on this planet is it ok to be raped, nowhere on this planet is it ok to have no sympathy for a victim cause they moved to a place with barbaric laws. No matter how you try and spin it in your head, it's not ok. The end.
    I do not see what does the feeling of being raped have anything to do with feeling no pity for someone who chooses to go to the middle east and being treated like cattle.

You do not give a shit that they have laws from the stone age? The reality that the middle east has pathetic customs and laws, has nothing to do with your pretentious and unrealistic world view. It's actually very okay to have no sympathy for someone who chose to move to a barbaric country with barbaric laws. Like you, they "didn't give a shit" about an existing reality, and now they payed the price. You are welcome to do the same, just like this guy did.
    Last edited by mmoc0f233d9eb1; 2013-07-18 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shudder View Post
    You haven't been reading this thread then. The fact that the option on the poll that she did something wrong even exists shows exactly how much rape culture exists on this site. It's truly sickening.
    This is a thread about a rape in the middle-east, and the only one you apply the term rape-culture to is everywhere else. Shows how seriously you ought to be taken.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Celltrex View Post
    I do not see what does the feeling of being raped have anything to do with feeling no pity for someone who chooses to go to the middle east and being treated like cattle.

You do not give a shit that they have laws from the stone age? The reality that the middle east has pathetic customs and laws, has nothing to do with your pretentious and unrealistic world view. It's actually very okay to have no sympathy for someone who chose to move to a barbaric country with barbaric laws. Like you, they "didn't give a shit" about an existing reality, and now they payed the price. You are welcome to do the same, just like this guy did.
    Or this guy http://frontpagemag.com/2013/zeno-co...l-middle-east/

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    It's not that people are blaming the victim for getting raped....it's more of a "why the fuck did she go to Dubai?" thing. Both are kind of in the wrong here.
    Dubai is a major area within certain trades, like for instance petroleum (oil/gas). As someone who works closely up towards the offshore industry and as such has certain relations towards the middle east I can certainly see the reason as to why you would travel and/or live there. Dubai is strict towards foreigners, women in particular, but this should not come as a surprise when you visit a new country that follows the Islamic ruleset. Women has dress codes and should act according to certain 'norms' in parts of the city. Do mind that large parts of Dubai is considered international and more 'free' in regards to the rather strict rules within the country.

So I view the whole "Dubai imprisoning rape victims" thing on about the same level as I view bears eating people... It's like getting mad at a shark for biting a surfer. It's just the nature of the beast when you're the guest on its home turf.

This, however, is un-fucking-acceptable.

Apparently her (Norwegian) employer decided to fire her after she was imprisoned.

Quote Originally Posted by Pancha View Post
    I'm not quite following your quote of my post and your reply? Care to elaborate? Mind you I haven't read the entire thread and would not be familiar with the different views discussed.
    Well; some of us are arguing that she did do something wrong in going there, since the law system is reputedly awful and misogynistic.
    Others claim that we are victim-blaming, and calling her responsible for what happened, which is most definitely not the case; they're pretty much strawmanning the same thing over and over and over.

I finally said that nobody was arguing that she is to blame for it, that nobody is victim blaming at all.

And then you post something that could very well be construed as victim blaming; implying that it's possible (or even likely!) that she lied about being raped, and that the Dubai justice system does the right thing by dint of being legal alone. Since you are pretty much the first person to do that, I had to take back my statement, allowing for the possibility (that at least one person is indeed confirming the (otherwise) strawman argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    0_o
    'Un-fucking-acceptable' doesn't quite cover it...
    Last edited by Stir; 2013-07-18 at 10:57 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Velaniz View Post
    This is a thread about a rape in the middle-east, and the only one you apply the term rape-culture to is everywhere else. Shows how seriously you ought to be taken.
    You know what's funny? Some people tell others what not to do to prevent getting raped, while others behave like cunts and see rape culture in everything.

You know what's rape culture? "Men must probably like getting raped anyway" " Wow that guy was raped by a woman for days. Lucky bastard!" and believing that being raped in prison is justice. That's rape culture little feminists, and not advising people to avoid getting raped by not stepping in a country that follows Sharia Law.

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Well; some of us are arguing that she did do something wrong in going there, since the law system is reputedly awful and misogynistic.
    Others claim that we are victim-blaming, and calling her responsible for what happened, which is most definitely not the case; they're pretty much strawmanning the same thing over and over and over.

I finally said that nobody was arguing that she is to blame for it, that nobody is victim blaming at all.

And then you post something that could very well be construed as victim blaming; implying that it's possible (or even likely!) that she lied about being raped, and that the Dubai justice system does the right thing by dint of being legal alone. Since you are pretty much the first person to do that, I had to take back my statement, allowing for the possibility (that at least one person is indeed confirming the (otherwise) strawman argument.
    Well said and thanks for clearing that up. I am not implying that she is lying, I am rather keeping it as an possibility among the other possibilities thrown around.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancha View Post
    Dubai is a major area within certain trades, like for instance petroleum (oil/gas). As someone who works closely up towards the offshore industry and as such has certain relations towards the middle east I can certainly see the reason as to why you would travel and/or live there. Dubai is strict towards foreigners, women in particular, but this should not come as a surprise when you visit a new country that follows the Islamic ruleset. Women has dress codes and should act according to certain 'norms' in parts of the city. Do mind that large parts of Dubai is considered international and more 'free' in regards to the rather strict rules within the country.
    As a woman myself, I will research anywhere I go before I go and will never be anywhere alone. Especially if I was in somewhere like Dubai. This is such a shame, but she really should have been prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    As a woman myself, I will research anywhere I go before I go and will never be anywhere alone. Especially if I was in somewhere like Dubai. This is such a shame, but she really should have been prepared.
    The question is, however: Do you feel she is responsible/to blame for it?

10+ Year Old Account
    To blame? No, she should not have been raped in the first place. Responsible? Yes. She is responsible for her actions, and her poor actions led to this disaster.

We can continue this to:
    1. Dont go out late, its dangerous!
    2. Dont ever go somewhere alone, its dangerous!
    3. Dont wear skirts, its dangerous!
    4. Dont use makeup, its dangerous!
    etc, etc...
    If you do that, you are obivously stupid, did not read laws, etc...

P.S.
    And if somebody did not get it, I am not talking about not doing it in Dubai... xD
    Last edited by Easo; 2013-07-18 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    We can continue this to:
    1. Dont go out late, its dangerous!
    2. Dont ever go somewhere alone, its dangerous!
    3. Dont wear skirts, its dangerous!
    4. Dont use makeup, its dangerous!
    etc, etc...

P.S.
    And if somebody did not get it, I am not talking about not doing it in Dubai... xD
    Are you saying those things DON'T increase risk?

The difference is you think people like me are telling women what they should or shouldn't do. Not true.

I'm saying there are real risks in the real world and if you want to take them, you're more than welcome to.

That doesn't mean some things are risk factors just because you wish they weren't.
    Last edited by Laize; 2013-07-18 at 11:18 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Celltrex View Post
    You know what's funny? Some people tell others what not to do to prevent getting raped, while others behave like cunts and see rape culture in everything.

You know what's rape culture? "Men must probably like getting raped anyway" " Wow that guy was raped by a woman for days. Lucky bastard!" and believing that being raped in prison is justice. That's rape culture little feminists, and not advising people to avoid getting raped by not stepping in a country that follows Sharia Law.
    I like how modern men are blamed for rapes that took place 100 years ago etc too as if we are the same men and as if all men are the same.

We have been mind controlled by the patriarchy to oppress women.

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    It really does depend on whether a rape did happen in the first place. We do not know whether it was consensual intercourse gone bad or in fact rape. You would only have word against word in this case unless you have some kind of evidence whether that was scenes clearly showing a fight or recorded material. At the moment we only have the view of Norwegian newspapers clearly favouring the girl and her nationality. This case would have died down and most likely forgotten prior to getting the final verdict.

You also have the case a couple years back (2009) when a couple of Norwegians got accused of murder and the Democratic Republic of Congo sued the Norwegian government for $500 billion dollars in 'damages'. We forgot about that case within a couple weeks, and the last we really heard (in proper presentation in the media) was that they were sentenced to death and/or lifetime in jail.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    I have no sympathy for anyone that voluntarily travels to these countries and gets into trouble.
    useless trash