Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Frozen taste better. Canned veggies are nasty. I'll never buy 'em. I also don't understand why people buy canned shit.
    Putin khuliyo

The fast freezed vegetables taste better than canned vegetables. But for obvious reasons you need a working freezer to keep frozen vegetables. Canned vegetables can be kept at room temperature.

10+ Year Old Account
    I prefer frozen because canned grosses me out (chemicals, grody canning facilities). Typically I buy bags of frozen beans and frozen mixed vegetables (soup, stir-fry, etc). I don't like frozen broccoli, though. The texture is really...it's not good.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Both are preferable to going out for burgers, tinned are worse than frozen, both are inferior to fresh but all of these options are better than fast food.
    When frozen properly the frozen food is actually healthier then fresh food. Unless you get that fresh food and cook it a few hours after it got harvested. Gotta agree when it comes to taste and looks fresh food is superior but when it comes to nutrients it actually isn't. Food loses it's nutrients after it's harvested and freezing it in slows that process down.

And yeah canned veggies are there cause they're easier to store and are good for a long time. But cause of the sugar or other ingredient that keeps it good longer it's taste changes and also the looks. And also the nutrients in these veggies will drop faster to a certain level then frozen or fresh cause of the reactions that happen.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dapperedodo View Post
    When frozen properly the frozen food is actually healthier then fresh food. Unless you get that fresh food and cook it a few hours after it got harvested. Gotta agree when it comes to taste and looks fresh food is superior but when it comes to nutrients it actually isn't. Food loses it's nutrients after it's harvested and freezing it in slows that process down.

And yeah canned veggies are there cause they're easier to store and are good for a long time. But cause of the sugar or other ingredient that keeps it good longer it's taste changes and also the looks. And also the nutrients in these veggies will drop faster to a certain level then frozen or fresh cause of the reactions that happen.
    Unless you get it as bolded then it is no longer fresh.

Frozen is good for vegetables that are going to be cooked (those broccoli packages that are cooked with steam are awesome) and canned/fresh for ones that for the most part you just eat, like green beans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Its doesnt really matter to me which one is healthier but frozen vegetables taste much much better than canned. Fresh of course is the best. The problem with canned vegetables is the liquid they put them in with all the preservatives in it makes them taste terrible. They are also usually mushy from being in the liquid for a long time.

The only thing canned has over frozen is that it will last longer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Unless you get it as bolded then it is no longer fresh.
    I consider anything that has gone straight from the grower to the market without being frozen or processed to be fresh. There are varying degrees of freshness.

Frozen, canned veggies have a lot of sodium and other crap added to them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I buy fresh. I don't really see the appeal of frozen or canned goods, unless you live somewhere that you have to travel very far out of your way to buy groceries.
    Or have a local produce stand. Sometimes it's a little bit too much to buy fresh corn... fresh black beans... fresh green beans... etc, etc. I will buy fresh produce from a local stand -- red bell peppers, onions, garlic, and the like -- whereas I will buy frozen corn, frozen green beans, and frozen peas. Obviously I buy canned black beans, but I drain them and strain them before consuming. I refuse to buy canned vegetables simply because of all the added salt (not even counting the preservatives). I also very much so dislike the discoloration of canned vegetables vs. their fresh/frozen counterparts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orcbert View Post
    As a cook in a professional kitchen we use no frozen veggies. We do use canned goods, especially for sauces.
    I wouldn't want to dine at a restaurant and order canned vegetables. Preferably fresh > frozen >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> canned.

/10charsss
    Last edited by Lychee3000; 2016-01-10 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Klutzington View Post
    I wouldn't want to dine at a restaurant and order canned vegetables. Preferably fresh > frozen >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> canned.
    Barely any, mass canned tomatoes for sauces, out of season veggies (for things people insist we have on menu at all times), and some stuff for the kids menu. Basically canning tomatoes takes a few steps out of making a Marinara that you would have to do otherwise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Agreed. Fresh peas are great. Frozen peas still have most their taste. Canned peas are mushy and taste like the broth they've been soaked in.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Agreed. Fresh peas are great. Frozen peas still have most their taste. Canned peas are mushy and taste like the broth they've been soaked in.
    Canned peas are better for soup because of this. The strained liquid is like a veggie stock. It also makes a better color then frozen peas. It's a frightening bright green.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orcbert View Post
    Barely any, mass canned tomatoes for sauces, out of season veggies (for things people insist we have on menu at all times), and some stuff for the kids menu. Basically canning tomatoes takes a few steps out of making a Marinara that you would have to do otherwise.
    Oh, I know. Canned tomatoes are perfectly fine. I would HATE smashing tomatoes every time. It's understandable if canned veggies are used once in a while, though.

Oh, I know. Canned tomatoes are perfectly fine. I would HATE smashing tomatoes every time. It's understandable if canned veggies are used once in a while, though.
    When we have to used canned veggies because the customer demands that particular veg we slowly simmer it in our spite and rage.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are going to do the healthy thing and eat veggies, I dont see why you dont just go all out and get the fresh organic stuff. It's really not that expensive.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    If you are going to do the healthy thing and eat veggies, I dont see why you dont just go all out and get the fresh organic stuff. It's really not that expensive.
    Organic is about 150% more expensive. It can also be more difficult to work with. Non-organic seeds have been grown or modified to make them more appealing to the mass consumer. IE more edible parts and holds up better. And just because you are eating a vegetable doesn't mean you don't want convenience.

10+ Year Old Account
    depends. i normally only buy fresh vegetables.

the exeptions:

-corn. only canned. they lose pretty much nothing in the canning process (or i don't taste any difference ...)
    -kidney beans. canned (see corn. i only use beans for chili con carne so my experience is limited)

-peas. FROZEN! NEVER CANNED. canned peas are an atrocity to mankind. period.

rest is bought fresh or is ignored. most regular used vegetables have a rather long shelf life by themselves (onions, potatoes, garlic ...). and when you go shopping at least twice a week there is no excuse to not buy fresh vegetables.

EDIT: bio can be ignored imo. they have no additional value in taste for me. it's basicly a sheme to get more money from hippies. you can watch some penn and teller bullshit shows about that stuff for entertaining value (or do some more "serious" research yourself). bio is pointless. at least for vegetables and fruit. meat is another theme though.
    Last edited by Sharde; 2013-07-24 at 10:22 PM.

If I'm going to store vegetables as food storage, canned is the way to go unless you have a big freezer in, say, your garage.

I try to eat fresh vegetables, and if I really don't have time to steam broccoli or carrots, buying them frozen and cooking them is easy, and probably better than their canned alternatives, but buying them fresh and steaming them isn't too terribly difficult.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__