Page 39 of 52 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatetic View Post
    In World of Warcraft, the colour of an items name and border, dictates what quality that item is.

The stats and the proc make it legendary (and that is what has always made legendaries so). It has nothing to do with rarity and that is where you have been mistaken.
    actually (not sure how to search blue posts that far back) there is a blue post discussing legendaries, I think in response to a complaint about them not being more widely obtainable. it discussed that they weren't meant to be widely obtainable, but rare and unusual items even full-time raiding players might never see drop/assemble.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Quote Originally Posted by spectrefax View Post
    Try and sugar-coat it all you want. With the induction of the cloak (and even rogue daggers) orange tagged items are nothing more than glorified epics, the prestige and sense of wonder that accompanied them is now gone. Compared to its predecessors, the cloak is absolutely, 100% a welfare legendary. But congrats on having an orange, even though it's meaningless now
    They always have been? Never has a legendary really meant you were a skilled individual. You were either lucky or dedicated time wise.

and no more rare than any blue from a scenario.
    Bullshit and I'm sorry that really just stupid exaggeration. Take any arbitrary blue item for a heroic/dungeon/scenario and I bet you it will have dropped more than there are cloaks =P
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Smiteyou - lol holy dps

Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    actually (not sure how to search blue posts that far back) there is a blue post discussing legendaries, I think in response to a complaint about them not being more widely obtainable. it discussed that they weren't meant to be widely obtainable, but rare and unusual items even full-time raiding players might never see drop/assemble.
    I bet you...the number of full time raiders > number of cloaks =P But that gap is obviously a lot closer than daggers/staff/glaives/...etc Still even if # raiders == # cloaks, doesn't make the statement "welfare" true.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    And what heroic bosses did you ever had to farm? Please don't troll.

I didn't say they were "anywhere close to as special".
    I'm saying that they are ten times as special since you actually had to do some REAL personal things instead of being carried by 24-39 other people.

Old legendaries weren't hard at all and they were only rare because of a crap dropchance.
    So again.............going afk in LFR isn't being carried by 24 other people?
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seefer View Post
    Work is more than pushing a button to queue for LFR and stand there doing nothing.
    Well, if you do that, your part of the problem. And not only that, but in all other raids people where carried all the time.
    As others have mentioned, the glaives dropping was luck, no skill involved what so ever.
    As for time spend is not effort, well i have to disagree as time = effort. Putting time in something is the same for everyone, it doesnt matter if your a HC raider or a lfr noob. The HC raider might have picked up the skill to be able to HC raid or he's just a carried friend of the GM(seen this happen with legendary's). The lfr hero might not have the time to raid on certain times, or he might be plain bad. But that doesn't mean that they both took the time to clear everything every week.

Quote Originally Posted by Xdenek View Post
    Cool, thanks for clearing up you didn't clear it when it was current hard content. 3 months later? lol
    So?

Was it difficult to get the legendary prior to 3 months? no. Did we get it? no. Why? because it didn't drop. The fact is it was legendary because it was simply an rng drop. No less difficult than the current legendary chain.

And honestly lowering yourself to poke fun at people who didn't do something as fast as you? IN a game? wow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because collecting stuff is the only thing you have to do for this questline that spans 6 months?
    Other than the random one or 2 things.............98% of it is collecting yes.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people - Martin Luther King, Jr.

And what heroic bosses did you ever had to farm? Please don't troll.

I didn't say they were "anywhere close to as special".
    I'm saying that they are ten times as special since you actually had to do some REAL personal things instead of being carried by 24-39 other people.

Old legendaries weren't hard at all and they were only rare because of a crap dropchance.
    So you think that because blizzard made you go through the motions, all of which are faceroll, that your cloak that everyone has somehow means something?
    Reeaallly trying to make an argument out of nothing. This thread isn't even a discussion, your just flat wrong. People think that when they pick apart something enough they can discount it. Like saying its just boss farming or RNG. It still required more effort than this cloak(which only took the whole expansion due to artificial road blocks, FYI).

I'll say it again. There is no legendary this expansion, just a nice cloak with a different colored name.

Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    Yes, I'm sure during tbc when they decided to have them drop off end bosses that was their plan. That obviously changed with Shadowmourne (or possibly Ulduar mace). The point I'm making is that rarity has nothing to do with what makes an item legendary.

10+ Year Old Account
    So you are saying that 98% is mindlessly clearing raids.
    And that makes it different from other legendaries.. because?
    You don't read do you? YOU CAN (and most LFR heroes DO) either do absolutely NOTHING or autoshot your way to the drops! If you screwed off during a raid before LFR you so got busted and black listed and never got what you wanted!

Quote Originally Posted by gamingmuscle View Post
    I bet you...the number of full time raiders > number of cloaks =P But that gap is obviously a lot closer than daggers/staff/glaives/...etc Still even if # raiders == # cloaks, doesn't make the statement "welfare" true.
    Well obviously there are more cloaks than any prior legendary. the cloak can be equipped by any class or spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon138 View Post
    Dude, like NOONE had the glaives. That means they were hard to get. Pick it apart all you want. Getting the glaives meant you progressed from Heroic 5 mans(these alone are harder than LFR)-Kara-Mag-Gruul-Zul'Aman-SSC-Hyjal-TK-BT. THEN you had to down Illidan, have it drop, and obtain it. But sure sure, running LFR is just as difficult as all of that. Sure some people got carried for the Glaives, but only late in the expansion and they usually paid the guild an assload of gold.
    You are totally ignoring my point. A person that has glaives has absolutely no standing over every other person who killed Illidan when it was relevant content. They are no more deserving of having an orange item then every other person in their raid. They just had better loot RNG (and the correct class). "having it drop and obtain it" has no bearing on the actual difficulty or skill required to obtain the item. The item either drops or it doesn't. It's just luck.

If you think a low drop rate is an intrinsic part of a legendary item, that's nice I guess. But don't confuse the blizzard RNG smiling upon someone with actual difficulty or skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Zatetic View Post
    Yes, I'm sure during tbc when they decided to have them drop off end bosses that was their plan. That obviously changed with Shadowmourne (or possibly Ulduar mace). The point I'm making is that rarity has nothing to do with what makes an item legendary.
    But it has to do with making that item mean something, when everyone has it, it's meaningless. The back slot might as well not even exist after 5.4 because it's the same for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon138 View Post
    So you think that because blizzard made you go through the motions, all of which are faceroll, that your cloak that everyone has somehow means something?
    Reeaallly trying to make an argument out of nothing. This thread isn't even a discussion, your just flat wrong. People think that when they pick apart something enough they can discount it. Like saying its just boss farming or RNG. It still required more effort than this cloak(which only took the whole expansion due to artificial road blocks, FYI).

I'll say it again. There is no legendary this expansion, just a nice cloak with a different colored name.
    blizzard made me go through the motions in BT, FL, ICC, DS. The only time it was hard was first clearing it. The rest was picking up drops or rolling for it.

Quite frankly the new one is as welfare as the rest. only you heroic raiders are whining about it. that's it it's over you're not special anymore. sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Anoregon View Post
    You are totally ignoring my point. A person that has glaives has absolutely no standing over every other person who killed Illidan when it was relevant content. They are no more deserving of having an orange item then every other person in their raid. They just had better loot RNG (and the correct class). "having it drop and obtain it" has no bearing on the actual difficulty or skill required to obtain the item. The item either drops or it doesn't. It's just luck.

If you think a low drop rate is an intrinsic part of a legendary item, that's nice I guess. But don't confuse the blizzard RNG smiling upon someone with actual difficulty or skill.
    And your ignoring the part about progressing from Kara to BT before you even get a chance at the drop. That alone took as long as the time you spent working for the cloak.

"Legendary quality is currently the level of item quality in between Epic and Artifact. Generally there are very few of these items on any given server. It usually takes multiple end-game raid instance runs to acquire or craft these items. Legendary items are considered the most powerful items available to players. The names of legendary-quality items will appear in orange."

Seems you are wrong, the cloak is a legendary item.
    Seems you're wrong. Even by the very definition you listed, the cloak doesn't qualify as a "real" legendary, but it does qualify as a "welfare" legendary, courtesy of the orange text accompanying it.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Legendary quality is currently the level of item quality in between Epic and Artifact. Generally there are very few of these items on any given server. It usually takes multiple end-game raid instance runs to acquire or craft these items. Legendary items are considered the most powerful items available to players. The names of legendary-quality items will appear in orange."

Seems you are wrong, the cloak is a legendary item.
    Too bad damn near everyone and their brother has the cloak thus disproving your point huh?

Other than the random one or 2 things.............98% of it is collecting yes.
    Being able to cheat the system doesn't make it "welfare"

- - - Updated - - -

Too bad damn near everyone and their brother has the cloak thus disproving your point huh?
    Your understanding of words like "Generally" and "usually" is found lacking. =P

That quote is still true.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Caliph View Post
    So?

Was it difficult to get the legendary prior to 3 months? no. Did we get it? no. Why? because it didn't drop. The fact is it was legendary because it was simply an rng drop. No less difficult than the current legendary chain.

And honestly lowering yourself to poke fun at people who didn't do something as fast as you? IN a game? wow.
    Actually, yes. Killing Illibobs was significantly more difficult with 1. less gear, 2. having to compose own strategy, 3. no movies. Getting to Illidan wasn't a cakewalk either, shadow gear gear for Shahraz, Gorefiend, Council, Reliq all challenging in their own regard.

It's a game forum, discussing a game. Competitive is competitive. You were also disingenuous claiming you "three shotted Illidan" - purporting you were one of the very first to drop him.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've put more effort in this than our old Gleader in his Shadowmourne, our hunter in his Thori'dal and my brother in his staff.
    What part of that makes it 'welfare'?

And your point is?
    Are you going to AFK every single LFR to prove a point?
    Good luck with your legendary, now you can still do nothing while wearing a legendary.

This item is intended for people without this poisonous attitude, people who actually put in an effort and want a legendary so their effort pays off better.
    People with "your attitude" might as well quit the game.
    Considering I do real raids and not that crap people try to pass off as raiding called LFR because the DPS is lucky to break 60k and others are afking? Yeah....your comment is stupid, oh and that item is FOR the people who like to afk in LFR.