15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stabetha View Post
    and now insurance companies are going to have to absorb that cost on top of the people that will now go to the ER every time they have a stuffy nose because hey we have insurance.
    Except for you know, general practitioners are a thing.

the occasional person going to the ER for a tummy ache is going to cost sooooooooooooooooooooo much more for the hospital than that person who receives life saving emergency triage and then defaults on their debt to the hospital... not.
    Last edited by Cthulhu 2020; 2013-12-05 at 11:15 AM.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Are people still whining about this?

If we were gonna get universal healthcare, you couldn't have a much better compromise than the ACA.

Get over it. I did.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Are people still whining about this?

If we were gonna get universal healthcare, you couldn't have a much better compromise than the ACA.

Get over it. I did.
    Now that uninsured people are insured, and those dropped from their plans now have cheaper and better insurance, and most other people were relatively unaffected, the biggest talking point is "Obama lied!!!!"
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    Now that uninsured people are insured, and those dropped from their plans now have cheaper and better insurance, and most other people were relatively unaffected, the biggest talking point is "Obama lied!!!!"
    In what alternate reality does a price increase equate to "cheaper" insurance? I'd like to live there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    In what alternate reality does a price increase equate to "cheaper" insurance? I'd like to live there.
    Compare your non-employer subsidized plan premium to the same one on the exchange.

I linked one from MNsure earlier in this thread. They're a fucking steal.

10+ Year Old Account
    The people I've primarily seen who've had any kind of price increase, once all factors are considered, have been under-30s on catastrophic plans which don't meet the minimum requirements under the ACA, and which provided terrible coverage in the first place, which is why those kinds of plans aren't allowed any more. So even there, while they're paying more, they're getting more.

Most of the other stories have been cases where someone's employer-based insurance was cancelled, and they're neglecting to factor in that their employer paid 80% of the costs of their old plan, so they're really comparing 20% of the cost of their prior plan to 100% of the new cost. Or they ignore the available subsidies. And so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Compare your non-employer subsidized plan premium to the same one on the exchange.

I linked one from MNsure earlier in this thread. They're a fucking steal.
    Still haven't been able to get any information from Maryland's exchange. Was actually able to create an account and login (just tried it) but it still hangs when you click submit on the form with all your information, and tells you to call on the phone. The number is not in service.

I'll have to take your word for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Most of the other stories have been cases where someone's employer-based insurance was cancelled, and they're neglecting to factor in that their employer paid 80% of the costs of their old plan, so they're really comparing 20% of the cost of their prior plan to 100% of the new cost. Or they ignore the available subsidies. And so on.
    How is that not a price increase because of the ACA? Without the ACA, they'd be paying what they used to, and now with it, it's more.

Too bad for the people who live in states without the expansion who make just the wrong amount of money, I guess. /shrug

The people I've primarily seen who've had any kind of price increase, once all factors are considered, have been under-30s on catastrophic plans which don't meet the minimum requirements under the ACA, and which provided terrible coverage in the first place, which is why those kinds of plans aren't allowed any more. So even there, while they're paying more, they're getting more.

They may be getting more, but they don't NEED more.

Statistically, at that age, anything over catastrophic plans is almost completely unnecessary.

You're sugarcoating and/or skirting around the fact that the ACA has forced a demographic of people to pay for services they are unlikely to use (In fact, the entire system depends on the fact that they're unlikely to use said services) simply to generate extra money to subsidize people who use the system more.

How is that not a price increase because of the ACA? Without the ACA, they'd be paying what they used to, and now with it, it's more.

Too bad for the people who live in states without the expansion who make just the wrong amount of money, I guess. /shrug
    Because the price they were paying wasn't true. It was a benefit from an employer.

- - - Updated - - -

Statistically, at that age, anything over catastrophic plans is almost completely unnecessary.

You're sugarcoating and/or skirting around the fact that the ACA has forced a demographic of people to pay for services they are unlikely to use simply to generate extra money to subsidize people who use the system more.
    Yeah until they get into a car accident, can't pay the deductible / out of pocket and just bankrupt anyway.

Yeah until they get into a car accident, can't pay the deductible / out of pocket and just bankrupt anyway.
    That's what "catastrophic" insurance covers. Hence the term "catastrophic".

You're sugarcoating and/or skirting around the fact that the ACA has forced a demographic of people to pay for services they are unlikely to use simply to generate extra money to subsidize people who use the system more.
    But, but, but, medical expenses are so high because of write offs for the indigent and dead beats. It has nothing to do with billions of dollars of profits.

You have sat around this page since 2011 at least and have nearly 14500 posts and you don't see the clear need for people to be able to afford therapists and meds? I don't know what to tell you because the proof of needing more is rite here, it's in wow too. It's all around you.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Because the price they were paying wasn't true. It was a benefit from an employer.
    Which went away because of the ACA. It's okay to criticize it, you know. Obama won't take away your membership card to his fan club.

10+ Year Old Account
    SteHow is that not a price increase because of the ACA? Without the ACA, they'd be paying what they used to, and now with it, it's more.
    Because if you're paying twice as much now on your private plan than you were before, and your employer was paying 80% of the plan's costs as part of your compensation, then your health plan is actually less than half the price it was before.

The reason it hits you harder is because your employer reduced your compensation. You're now being paid significantly less than you were. If you didn't get a raise commensurate with their portion of your health care plan, then your employer took the opportunity to screw you over, and that is the problem. Not the ACA.

That's how insurance works. You don't buy tornado insurance because you know your house is about to get hit by one. You buy tornado insurance to protect against the possibility, even if it's likely never going to happen.

Which went away because of the ACA. It's okay to criticize it, you know. Obama won't take away your membership card to his fan club.
    I prefer accurate criticism.

- - - Updated - - -

The reason it hits you harder is because your employer reduced your compensation. You're now being paid significantly less than you were. If you didn't get a raise commensurate with their portion of your health care plan, then your employer took the opportunity to screw you over, and that is the problem. Not the ACA.
    Free market strikes again.

I prefer accurate criticism.
    What about this is inaccurate?

Had insurance through employer before ACA. ACA rolls out, employer cancels plan. Buys plan from marketplace, costs more than before. Because of the ACA, their costs went up.

Also, I tried the website again.

$263 a month for a bronze plan with a $6,000 individual deductible. Almost $10,000 out of pocket in a calendar year before one dollar of covered care? Seems reasonable.

I feel bad for the 20 somethings that are basically taking on another car payment every month to subsidize little Jimmy who has cancer. Sux2bU.

subsidize little Jimmy who has cancer.
    You can stop being deliberately obtuse about insurance works because you want to grasp at criticism straws now.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel bad for the 20 somethings that are basically taking on another car payment every month to subsidize little Jimmy who has cancer. Sux2bU.
    There is a reason why even Riddler started saying over 27, instead of 20 somethings...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    There is a reason why even Riddler started saying over 27, instead of 20 somethings...
    Newsflash: 65 y/o healthy people are subsidizing "20 something" y/o Jimmy with cancer.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can stop being deliberately obtuse about insurance works because you want to grasp at criticism straws now.
    I think it's the first time I have seen a Tinykong post that obfuscates a point more than Riddler or Vyxn. Both of whom now say 27 year olds, to avoid the parents insurance for up to 26 year olds in ACA, instead of 20 somethings.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi