Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    I think the story was disappointing, that it ended in an ARG. I don't know if they ever put it in the game but to leave the whole thing open ended and then go "Hey why don't you fly to Canada to dig up some shit in some wood" is stupid.
    I gave it a 6/10 back then.
    Yeah, I had to read a lot of lore online to even understand the story, but it is quite interesting. I also had to do the same for Bioshock 1 and Elden Ring, so that alone does not destroy the story. I understood so much more once I researched and viewed discussions about the game. However, I can totally see your point of view even after researching. I just think I personally liked the ending a little more than you did, but that said, the game was all about the gameplay and atmosphere for me.

Outriders - 8.5/10

Looter shooter from square enix (3rd person)
    Is exactly my style of game.
    Insane graphics and good story cutscenes
    Crossplatform
    You can play from steam and with people from Gamepass on Xbox...just need to enable crossplatform option on settings and share the code of the lobby.

Phasmophobia - 8.5/10

Is a guessing game to know which kind of ghost is haunting the place.
    Insane with multiplayer and with friends.
    Very charming

3+ Year Old Account
    I'm kinda cheating a bit with this one, since I watched a friend play it from start to finish, but I have enough of an idea where I feel reasonably confident in rating here:

Bug Fables: The Everlasting Sapling - 8.5/10

Bug Fables is a game that's very much a spiritual successor to the first two Paper Mario games, where it's basically impossible to review it on its own merits without comparing the two to some degree. However, it seems to understand what made those games so beloved, between crisp dialog and a snappy combat system. However, in some ways, it outright surpasses the games that it took inspiration from.

The combat system in general feels like a natural evolution, with the notable additions of a Turn Relay system, allowing part members to sacrifice a turn to give another one an extra turn, at the cost of dealing reduced damage. However, even given that penalty, it can be warranted in many situations, thanks to a number of enemies being more vulnerable to the attacks of certain party members, on top of +Attack builds being very much a thing. Additionally, team-based special attacks are in the mix as well, which deal significant damage at the cost of eating up the turns of multiple party members. Finally, the Medal system, the spiritual successor to the Badge system, is a bit more varied as well, with medals that affect individual team members being equippable to any given party member, giving a sizable variety of viable builds for each member. The only thing really missing is an equivalent of the Star Power system, but that's really a small price to pay. As an aside, the game has a sizable variety of toggleable difficulties, from the Hard Mode badge rewarded at the beginning that increases the difficulty of fights as well as the rewards from them, a double-damage-taken medal available early on that increases currency earned from battles, and a number of unlockable menu codes that primarily make the game harder in different ways.

Character dialog also sees a sizable upgrade from the Paper Mario games, with each character having their own character arcs, and no shortage of dialog to work with, a sizable upgrade over having a silent protagonist and partners who only really have a 1-chapter character arc at best. The quest system is also a sizable upgrade from TTYD's system, allowing for the taking of multiple quests at once, and the quests themselves being a net upgrade, in terms of structure and rewards systems. Finally, the sheer volume of optional content is very impressive, featuring postgame superbosses and even a card-battling minigame, among other things.

So that leaves the question: Where DOES the game falter? The biggest issue is that the platforming can be tricky at times, with Vi's Beemarang being the worst offender. Having to precision platform whilst holding down a button to operate a crank with it is pretty wonky, as is the multidirectional aiming it has. Honorable mention to Leif's ice platform creation resulting in some fairly punishing precision platforming. Failing to properly execute certain puzzles can become fairly annoying, and there's not a whole lot of room for error on some. Another potential issue is the art style, which is fairly lacking from a technical perspective, though this one can be more attributed to the game's origin as a crowdfunded project. I personally thought it was fine, but it's one of those things some may take issue with. Finally, a few medal builds feel incomplete. While builds involving deliberately getting poisoned to boost stats are well-fleshed out to the point of being overpowered, builds that involve the other status afflictions don't quite feel finished. But that's more or splitting hairs.

I can't recommend this game enough if you enjoyed the classic Paper Mario games, and even if you simply enjoy turn-based RPGs, you should get something out of it. It has its bits of jank, but overall, this is a very, very well-crafted indie title, and one that easily surpasses Paper Mario (64), and comes very, very close to TTYD in terms of overall quality.

Persona 5 Royal - 9.5/10

Probably one of the best games I've played in the past few years. After an a bit slow start, I really got lost in it and powered through it in about a month. It was my first Persona game, and one of my first JRPGs, in general. The setting is really interesting with the real / cognitive world and how they correlate to each other. I also liked how this duality perpetrates more or less everything, from gameplay (time management sim as high-schooler vs turn based JRPG fights as the Trickster) to story to individual character arcs. The game has a nice sense of humor to it. The linear story is for the most part black and white, though, with only the final part having some more interesting dilemmas.

I won't go into more details about the positives, as the game was highly acclaimed, and they have been discussed more than enough by other people. There were a few minor downsides in my opinion. Some of the character arcs were a bit bland, though with 20 or so in game, I think that's to be expected. Some of the party members were also kinda annoying and immature (looking at Ryuji), though that fits quite well considering they're all high school kids. Also, it took me a while in the beginning to really get into the setting and the combat. Many possibilities in both time management and combat are only opened up as you get further into the game. That keeps stuff fresh for much longer, but makes for a slow start. There was also one major logical fallacy to the plot-twist at the end of the interrogation of Sae / the Trickster. Usually I try not to notice such inconsistencies, as most modern stories have a few and it can take out some of the fun when thinking about them too much. However, as it was about such an crucial part of the story, it was difficult not to see.

Furthermore, I didn't like how much on rails the behavior of the main character was. I don't mind a linear story now and then if it's good (as was the case here), but at the very least I'd like to be able to react differently to the unfolding story. E.g. how he reacted when the Phantom Thieves became more and more popular was imo not at all in line with how I'd see the character. I'd like to have had the option to curb the enthusiasm of the other members a bit in the dialogues. Though for the most part one could only agree with them and join in, or keep it cool while still agreeing and encouraging them.

I'm a ways into RE4 remake, it is excellent. Review coming soon. Right now, easily 10/10, legendary game made much, much better by smart gameplay upgrades and incredible graphics and performance. They kept the roundhouse and it's still OP, so yay! Story is still super fun too, lol. Leon is just great.

Spellforce: Conquest of Eo is a fun game for anyone who likes Spellforce or Age of Wonders.

And if the devs keep supporting it, it can clearly get even better.
    “Every great cause begins as a movement, becomes a business, and eventually degenerates into a racket.” -Eric Hoffer

Diablo 4 Open Beta, 6/10

It's Diablo. Good graphics and production values, gameplay.. Either you like it for some weird reason or you don't. I didn't. Same monotonous crap it's always been.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

10+ Year Old Account
    Drums Rock: 5/10

Bought this for the lulz.

Passable. The songs repertoire is meh, the graphics are garbage, but it is immersive with the excellent PSVR2 tracking. It is also pretty easy, I didn't need more than a couple tries for the hardest challenges.

- - - Updated - - -

Gran Turismo 7: 9.5/10

An absolute must buy for VR, it is so insanely fun and immersive, it gives the game a second wind. Seeing the cars dangerously close, trusting the other drivers to not do anything weird as you tiptoe around them trying to find a gap will never get old. You also get an incredible feeling for depth, I honestly think it made me a much better player. The cars look absolutely life-like, but the tracks themselves are nothing extraordinary. Every single car interior has been modeled so you can fuck around in it as you drive, this is honestly the highlight for me. Old beauties like the '60s Ferrari 330 are truly a sight to behold.

I never had any problems with dizziness or VR disconnect, but some friends felt like shit after trying it. Your brain thinks your body is doing things because of what you experience, but your body doesn't do anything, and this is what causes the VR disconnect for some people. Driving up Spa's Eau Rouge at 280 kph is an unrivaled experience. Once during online play, I flipped another driver in true southern euro fashion while looking at him as I passed him, but I couldn't see my hand. I was immediately mindfucked and panicked because I thought something had happened to my hand. I'm a pretty level dude, but that felt so goddamn weird. For true immersion, I can recommend playing without any game information such as timers, just the stuff like your car interior's own gas counter. Tyre degradation and traction control, or even a position, you just gotta pay attention.

The single player is still flawed with the money sink and grinding required for car collective purposes, and the roulette system is probably the worst reward system I've ever seen in a videogame all my life. The game always gives you the worst reward every time, and the supposedly highest tier of rewards is actually the worst. I also still think the cafe system is dumb. The circuit experiences, trials and licenses remain great as ever though.

The online mode is an absolute pleasure. Whenever there's some fun event that isn't the standard group 3 or 4 race, I jump into it immediately. This week we have a VW Sambabus race with 33 horsepower, on a circuit with the longest uphill road, this was so much fun. Some people whine about the Balance of Performance system, because some cars tend to be better than others anyway and becoming the meta. I'm not an A+ ranked driver so I don't really care.

The game's physics are still unparalleled, and the endurance races with varying weather are the game's highlight. Rolling the dice and pitting for intermediate tyres seconds before heavy rain makes you feel like a god.

The AI is better tuned from what I remember, but I still feel like they just pick a racing line with a complete disregard for you. There are some tough long races for group 1 and 3, I've lost more than a couple great runs after the AI decided to play bumper cars with me or even divebomb me.

The car selection is pretty standard, but I would love a few more brands like Volvo or Opel instead of having like 15 different Skyline or 911 versions. I also want more shitboxes! Nothing is more fun than beating cars that are a thousand times more expensive than your 90's Corolla that is held together by duct tape and a whole lot of love.

Anyway, probably the most fun racing game right now. You can easily find yourself spending thousands of hours playing it, and you can never get bored. Asetto Corsa and iRacing are definitely a bit more realistic, but they aren't as much fun. I might even invest in a racing wheel with pedals one of these days.

For non PSVR2 people, there is 120 hz mode if your TV supports it, I heard it's really great. The trade-off is lack of antialiasing on the track in the distance, but it's worth playing in 120 fps.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2023-03-31 at 11:32 PM.

Been on a tactics game binge recently

XCOM: Enemy Unknown 8.5/10

Hadn't played this in a while, decided to go in Classic Ironman. Man the early game is really tough for not entirely fun reasons. Crits can happen even to soldiers in cover and are a guanranteed oneshot. I tried to avoid the boring Overwatch creep playstyle but some missions make it seem mandatory, running into a pack of Thin Men unprepared before you have carapace armor is a death sentence for one soldier. Mid-game is super easy, and then lategame throws Sectopods at you and it goes back to one crit in cover = dead if you don't have Titan Armor (and even then).

The strategic layer has more stuff going on than I remembered but it's also quite easy past the first couple months. Once you drop the alien base panic is kind of a non-issue unless you fail a mission outright which means you got a party wipe and likely tanked the save anyway lol.

I had a lot of fun but still I got why XCOM 2 made some of the changes it did. That game is a lot fairer to the player (even if it gets real easy in the mid/lategame by comparison) but timed missions make you play in a far more fun way IMO.

WH40K Chaos Gate: Daemonhunters 7/10

Praise be to the Emperor and Steam sales in equal measure. This is a pretty neat game, the presentation is... not the best sometimes especially when it comes to animations in conversation and the dialog is at best serviceable for 40K even if I like the Tech-Priest lady. Strategic layer is not very good IMO, marines take far too long to heal early game in particular and the reward system being RNG does help replayability I suppose but there's still not much interesting going on.

The battle side has a bunch of good ideas, such as replenishing your action points when you engage in combat or the use of environmental features like statues you can shoot to drop them on the enemy. Difficulty can ramp up to be quite fiendish after a fairly relaxed start, those Plaguebearers can be quite the nuisance if you let them buff up. The Warp Surge mechanic is nice until it does something unfun like spawn pools of goop at the feet of your guys out of nowhere. And I didn't find quite enough differences between classes when it came to gameplay nor did I find the skill tree particularly appealing. In the end I had a nice time but it didn't grab me that much, I'll finish it someday.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post

I had a lot of fun but still I got why XCOM 2 made some of the changes it did. That game is a lot fairer to the player (even if it gets real easy in the mid/lategame by comparison) but timed missions make you play in a far more fun way IMO.
    I wish they would do a remake of XCOM with the XCOM 2 systems. The gameplay of XCOM2 is much better, but the first one has the more interesting setting.

The Last Spell: 8/10

A very solid tactical with a good sound track. Very simple base game play with a fun system of weapons/abilities that you have to use to defend your settlement from waves of the dead. Survive a varying amount of nights (depending on the map/location) to reach the boss battle. Overall I quite enjoyed the game, and the progression of powers you get for each fight to make the next battles easier. With the games release they reset progress and I had quite a bit of fun. The negatives are that RNG can be a bit brutal with what weapons/gear you get offered, where/how much enemies spawn, the boss and how they each work. Sometimes it just feels like nothing you could do would lead to victory. The last map is especially guilty of this, and was actually not fun for me to play, while the other ones I at least felt good about, even if they annoyed me.

TLDR: If you like the tactical style of games where you control a small subset of units to overcome a greater number of foes the game is a good time, with at minimum dozens of hours of fun, a good purchase for the price, and if it is on sale, would definitely recommend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

Quote Originally Posted by Faldric View Post
    I wish they would do a remake of XCOM with the XCOM 2 systems. The gameplay of XCOM2 is much better, but the first one has the more interesting setting.
    I actually disagree. I think the occupied Earth setting is really cool. The shame is that they don't do much with it. Story wise liberating the planet is just something that happens by the end of the story as a result of your other actions rather than any sort of goal, and mechanics wise barring Concealment the game doesn't do much with the idea that you're an underdog, you can blaze a bloody path through the enemies just as much as in the first game and the odds aren't really against you, and liberating the planet one region at a time is a core game mechanic.

It's why I was excited for Long War 2, who promised to marry the setting and the game mechanics and where liberating the planet one region at a time is a goal. Unfortunately when I tried it back then it veered too much into the other direction and ended up being a complete slog where most missions had to be skipped due to being unwinnable if you couldn't prep for them far in advance and stupid shit like enemy reinforcements dropping every single turn even if you did prep for the mission to avoid that. The liberation missions were also very repetitive and torturously long for a game that pulls no punches even on Normal.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Just finished Shadow of the Tomb Raider and the DLC bundle it came with. Did all but a few of the challenge tombs and collections, including all the side missions.

Overall felt like a 9+/10 game for me. Great production values, fantastic set pieces, lots of tomb raiding, interesting story and perfectly fine writing, no bugs (I'd hope not after this long). Fantastic game, very fun, well paced, and still does some of the best action sequences in the industry.

I'm actually sad that the franchise has been on ice since this game. I felt like each game was a pretty significant improvement over the previous one, and that outside of the first games hilarious ludonarrative dissonance got off to a pretty damned good start. Rise has one of the best opening sequences of any game I've played and was a fantastic action-adventure game from there, having remembered it's Tomb Raider and all, and Shadow just continued improving upon Rise in almost every aspect. The Rambo sequence was absolutely 10/10 shit and god damnit I am here for Lara Croft turning into a mud-covered machine of death for a hot second.

Only real gripe is that combat is still by far the weakest portion of the game. Stealth and all works great, but gunplay feels so weak and enemies feel fairly easy to mow down - at least on standard difficulty as I have little interest in the more survival elements of the harder ones. Guns just don't have much impact and trivialize a lot of the encounters.

I hope that if the Eidos team wants to make another one that Embracer lets them, since they own the studio and IP now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origins [7.5/10]

Dark Souls-esque RPG with Final Fantasy classes/mechanics. Almost done with DLC 1 and still having fun, but can sometimes get frustrating.

Pros:
    +30(?) different jobs and 10 different weapon types leads to lots of builds/playstyles
    +Story is better than the meme-fest I thought it was going to be
    +Very long endgame (1st playthrough is probably 25% of the total game complete)
    +online 3 player coop
    +Great Memes/CHAOS

Cons
    -WAY too much gear to process. Gear quantity can rival ARPG games; A single mission can give upwards of 200-300 pieces that you need to sort through once complete
    -Extremely easy to be combo'd to death. Taking damage also drains your stamina, so late game bosses can easily hit you once for over 50% of your total health AND stun you, opening you up for another free hit.
    -Enemies, especially bosses, can basically attack infinitely leading to barely any times to counter/recover
    -NPC companions are dumb as bricks
    -Transmog system is extremely clunky

The Sinking City, 6/10

+ You feel like an actual sleuth, since rather than following automatic hotspots on your map you have to investigate clues yourself and find the locations on your own accordingly. At some point the gamey side of it becomes clear and it therefore becomes less fascinating, but I still felt it was done mechanically better here than in any other open world game I've played.
    + They get the Lovecraftian vibes mostly right. In some cases it's overblown, but I generally enjoyed the atmosphere.

- Control is clunky. You move around fine, but combat could've used a lot of polishing before release.
    - There's a lot of options on how you go about the big choices in each case, but.. I'm unconvinced they matter. For example, in the case of Harriet Dough, you choose between saving her or murdering her (for reasons), yet even though I chose to save her she dies anyway. By the end of the game you have three choices that decide which ending sequence you're getting, and these are there to be chosen regardless of how you played up to that point.
    - Major cases exist in a vacuum. By this I mean their elements cease to be a thing in the world once you move on to the next case. For example, one case leads you to the office of two named doctors. Their respective office appliances are scattered about and one door is locked because the room behind it is declared to be under renovation. Once you solve the case and move on to the next one, this office becomes generic space, with all the personality defining appliances removed and the locked door is just a locked door. It's damaging to the otherwise strong immersion of the game.
    - Some side quests are solid, but most of them are just 'seek out a list of things to check off' kind of skippable drivel.
    - There are underwater segments. They suck.

All in all I think The Sinking City is a decent Lovecraftian themed private detective game one should check out, if feeling a yearning for Lovecraftian themes or private detective gameplay. The studio behind it has done a lot of the Sherlock Holmes games from the last 20 years, so if you're familiar with them there's similarity here as well. Detective games may work better in other formats (I personally much prefer the Ace Attorney way), but there's some allure to having everything be set in the same, vast space you can traverse in generally. This concept would be terrific if the studio had actual chops for it. Such as it is The Sinking City is more like a taste of what games like this could be.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

10+ Year Old Account
    Im not sure but it was probably Diablo 4 beta launch.

It was ok or okish like 6.5/10

Graphics were good. Immersion wise perfect dark and gore world yummy. Performance was good via fps/connection. Tried PC and PS5 version. Both were quite same.

Im not sure about talent system seems boring and pushing to do choices you dont want to and was hmm too cliched. Will see at the end game. Not mega hyped like i was on D3 realese.
    Last edited by czarek; 2023-05-08 at 01:46 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Middle Earth: Shadow of war

7.5/10

It's a fun game, but it does get repetitive towards the end.
    The "unique" orcs are fun to encounter and fight, for a while at least.

Once you've conquered your first fortress, you've seen 90% of the game.
    Sure, one or two orcs can be difficult due to having several immunities or resistances but other than that, you don't get anything different for the rest of the game.

Haven't done the DLCs yet. Maybe they will surprise me
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Humankind.

It is a good 4x (Civ) game which do some things better (evolving your civ, battles, expansion, endgame) but some things feel just bland. Too much +X+Y and not enough thematic bonuses/mechanics, feels like you're playing with a spreadsheet sometimes. Even tho the AI is recent Civs is bad and psychotic, it at least has some character compared to Humankinds personas.

Hopefully it is fleshed out with expansion/DLC, the developers seem really passionate and it feels like one of those games with good ideas but some poor implementation, so I hope they get it together and get success.

Endless Legend - 6.5/10

Quite a nice 4x game. Keeps to the basics of the genre, and adds some stuff similar to HoMaM like heroes and fights between armies on a hex-grid, though both extremely simplified. The focus is still on the 4x. Compared to the most well known game in the genre (Civ), I really liked the much larger variation between the races. Sadly, that also led to some issues with balance, with some races being fairly weak. AI is also, as usual in 4x, terrible, and the higher difficulties are just them having huge bonuses to everything.

The major issue for me, though, was the tech-tree / research system. I usually like going science-heavy in 4x games, and Endless Legend has in my opinion the worst tech system in any 4x game I ever played. You chose what to research each era, and after concluding 9 steps you advance to the next. Then you can again chose 9 from the new or old era, and advance to the next, etc. The issue I'm having is, that every research makes the next one more expensive. It's so unintuitive.
    An example: You skip researching basic fertilizer in the first area, as you don't need it at the time, and in some later era you research advanced agricultural methods. You're getting to a new era and want to chose what to research next. So you might think: "Hey, I still could research basic fertilizer from back then. It won't have a big impact, as I already have advanced methods (for some reason without knowing what a basic fertilizer is), but it's old era research, I hava a much better grasp of methods in agriculture and science in general, so it should be fast." Well, wrong. Because you already researched a lot, it's now also quite an expensive tech. Cheaper than current era, but still A LOT more expensive than researching it in the past. So your knowledge about better agricultural methods and everything else along the way made it way harder for you to grasp the concept of a basic fertilizer, for some reason. But, you still decide to go through with it, and research it. When done, however, everything else in the tech tree becomes more expensive to research as well. So you still want 9 techs from the current era, about market strategies, harbors, military tactics etc? Oh, that all seems so much more complicated now that you know what a fertilizer is.

Pathfinder: Wrath of the righteous 9.5 just beat it on core difficulty and it's both one of the hardest games i have played but also one of the best and it's the best crpg game i have played, just 1.8% have beaten it on core according to steam so it's no joke and it took me over a hundred hours this playthrough but i have played it more before experiencing with builds as that is one of the most fun parts of the serie, ended up with a dirge bard for dirge of doom for the party and it worked good but it's no damage dealer but the rest of the party was and you do need to build your party well in the harder difficulty else you will not get past certain parts if your party sucks. But damn some part is fucking crazy in this game.

The story the art/grafics and character creation/the insane amount of builds you can do is just amazing in this game.

Im ready and cant wait for Rogue Trader whenever that will come out.
    Do you hear the voices too?