Thread: No Man's Sky

Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    If only you didn't have to go through 100 planets of shooting a beam at a rock, rinse repeat to find that one fun planet.
    Took me like 5 planets in 4 systems to get what I needed and now that I know what to look for, most planets I go to are lush. It's not even blasting rocks, it's a lot of exploring to find the plans you need and a better ship. And the only reason it took me so many systems was that my first few planets were just unlucky. Most people are able to cap out their stuff in their very first system. The ones making these ridiculous claims about slogging through tons and tons of stuff are the people who played for an hour then got their refund and are now bitterly badmouthing the game.
    Last edited by Cthulhu 2020; 2016-08-19 at 09:46 PM.
    "Nazis are like cats. If they like you, it's probably because you're feeding them." -John Oliver
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    I don't care if he committed tax fraud. Scoring political victories and crushing the aspirations of your political opponents is more important than adhering to moral principles.
    Knadra finally just admitting Trumpkins care more about political victories than morals.

I have to say.... I am a developer for many years, been playing games for many years, the impression I've got is that the game feels like a concept of an idea, instead of a full game. It's a skeleton of the idea, bare bones with technical demos of crafting, gathering/mining and fighting. Normally in normal company No Man's Sky would be an alpha or at least early beta of the product. It feels like an prototype with production textures and models...
    Oh well. Again, I am 100% happy that I've got the game for free (no piracy).

And...HUGE NEWS! the saddest part is that the devs are now thinking about the paid addons/expansions...wtf.... Source: http://www.pcgamer.com/no-mans-sky-creator-walks-back-no-paid-dlc-statement/ they've really failed with this statement. I am dissapointed. Eh. I wonder If I could make a better game by myself given the 2 years of free time in the future, hmm, it's not that hard if you have money for models, textures and animation artists (besides servers it's the highest cost tbh).

I am glad that Steam has an return policy and soo sad that PS4 has none :P
    Last edited by Slaughty8; 2016-08-19 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughty8 View Post
    I have to say.... I am a developer for many years
    Oh please, no one is gonna buy that. Especially real developers.

Just look at these things you said:
    It's a skeleton of the idea, bare bones with technical demos of crafting, gathering/mining and fighting.
    Normally in normal company No Man's Sky would be an alpha or at least early beta of the product.
    It feels like an prototype with production textures and models...
    I wonder If I could make a better game by myself given the 2 years of free time in the future
    You have no idea what technical demo is
    You have no idea what alpha and beta are
    You don't know what a prototype is
    You fail to realize that you are unable to make such a game by yourself in 2 years time

Developer my ass.
    All right, gentlemen, let's review. The year is 2020 - that's two-zero-two-zero, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of robed sissies.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Developer my ass.
    People get to sophomore year in programming and suddenly think they're developers. :P

The game is similar to a lot of other free exploration games, except that there is no hand holding, no carrot on a stick. You have to create your own adventure and you have to figure things out on your own. In Fallout you're pretty much lead on a leash to the eventual open world building and told how to do it via the story line and subsequent quests. In NMS you have to figure out how to do it on your own. There is no hand holding, and there is no instant gratification. Many people have been successful and maxed out their inventory, multi tool, and ship all within their first system or two.

Others are like "aw man, there's nothing to hold my hand or show me how to play this game? No system to lead me along a set path before setting me loose in a semi-open world? Game sux!"

It comes down to personal preference and taste. Some people have a short attention span, and that's not a bad thing. That's perfectly ok. People who enjoy skinner box MMO's and games like candy crush for that instant gratification won't like NMS. They wander around on their starter planet for awhile with no clear goal, nobody telling them what they have to do, they get frustrated, log out, and start bad mouthing about how bad the game is. They just don't realize, the game isn't their taste. They don't have the patience or the ability to create their own adventure, and that's fine. Different strokes for different folks.

NMS reminds me of games I used to play on my older computers, my windows 3.1 games where figuring out a certain room's puzzle in a labyrinth could take me hours. There was no internet to tell me how to do it, no hand holding, simply "Here, figure this out".

While NMS is certainly not a demo or shell of a game, it certainly could use a lot more features.
    "Nazis are like cats. If they like you, it's probably because you're feeding them." -John Oliver
    I don't care if he committed tax fraud. Scoring political victories and crushing the aspirations of your political opponents is more important than adhering to moral principles.
    Knadra finally just admitting Trumpkins care more about political victories than morals.

If only you didn't have to go through 100 planets of shooting a beam at a rock, rinse repeat to find that one fun planet.
    I find plenty of "fun planets". Maybe try upgrading your warp drive so you can hit green/blue stars? Get deeper into the galaxy, closer to the center?

And yes, a lot of gameplay boils down to "shoot a beam at a rock". A lot of gameplay sounds dumb when you boil it down. Modern shooters are "shoot bullets at doods". Mario games are "jump around on stuff". That's not really an argument.

"Press buttons" gameplay - rinse and repeat.

Every game ever.
    All right, gentlemen, let's review. The year is 2020 - that's two-zero-two-zero, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of robed sissies.

Well the patch hasn't fixed some of the major bugs for me:

-Suddenly shooting off into space when you take off
    -Slow turning when you exit a ship
    -Janky sprint animations for a while after you first log into the game

Still, it hasn't crashed yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I find plenty of "fun planets". Maybe try upgrading your warp drive so you can hit green/blue stars? Get deeper into the galaxy, closer to the center?

And yes, a lot of gameplay boils down to "shoot a beam at a rock". A lot of gameplay sounds dumb when you boil it down. Modern shooters are "shoot bullets at doods". Mario games are "jump around on stuff". That's not really an argument.
    Yeah you can boil it down, but the shooting a beam at a rock in this case seems to get old pretty quick. Maybe the range is so large that some people are getting awesome planets and some people are getting nothing but lame ones? Maybe the green/blue ones take too long to get to for most people. It's a farming game, and those are fun to some people but others expected a lot more (fault of the devs+way too much hype).

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    The ones making these ridiculous claims about slogging through tons and tons of stuff are the people who played for an hour then got their refund and are now bitterly badmouthing the game.
    You can apply my response to Endus to the rest of your post. This part is silly though, there are lots of legit reasons to dislike the game, mostly because the devs lied about a bunch of things.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Deleted
    - Taking off and going straight into outer-atmosphere is starting to piss me off.
    - After random periods of gameplay the game crawls to a halt and FPS drops to ~2fps. I have to shuffle to a save node, then re-boot the game (for a time).
    - Interaction animations causing loss of control take wayyy too long. Especially when a drone starts attacking you right after you interact with, say, a Monolith.

There is a steep learning curve with this game - I found a crashed ship that was way better. Accepted the change then realised I needed Zinc to get it operational. I ended up in a situation where I'd walked for ~5hrs, had multiple saves and could not locate my old ship and no fucking zinc. After the 6th hour I located a Galactic trade terminal and bought some! There was literally no other way around this and wish I'd known!

Quote Originally Posted by Altberg View Post
    There is a steep learning curve with this game - I found a crashed ship that was way better. Accepted the change then realised I needed Zinc to get it operational. I ended up in a situation where I'd walked for ~5hrs, had multiple saves and could not locate my old ship and no fucking zinc. After the 6th hour I located a Galactic trade terminal and bought some! There was literally no other way around this and wish I'd known!
    Normally you'd be able to call your old ship using the Bypass Chips and the beacons at just about every building grouping.

But yeah, if you're hours from it and switch to a new one? Ouch.

Deleted
    - Taking off and going straight into outer-atmosphere is starting to piss me off.
    - After random periods of gameplay the game crawls to a halt and FPS drops to ~2fps. I have to shuffle to a save node, then re-boot the game (for a time).
    - Interaction animations causing loss of control take wayyy too long. Especially when a drone starts attacking you right after you interact with, say, a Monolith.

im also getting those random periods of fps drops, sometimes its fine then i get in my ship and my game turns into a slideshow, only way to fix is to exit and reload the game!

i did the same thing with a new ship haha, took the new one, didnt check if i had the materials to fix everything, after about 50mins of walking around i managed to gather the zinc i needed, but didnt have enough stuff to repair my weapons, but at least i could take off. I take off for the nearest space station and get attacked by pirates mid speed boost between planet and space station, at this point im roughly an hour away at normal speed from the planet or the space station, and i cant speed boost because space pirates on me, and i cant fight them off because no weapon. i had to fly at a stupidly low speed for around 15mins before the pirates got bored and let me speed boost to the space station!

another thing that annoys me is how long things like "milestone reached" stay on your screen, removing your HUD, really really annoying when your'e under attack or trying to do anything and "milestone reached" removes your hud for ages, same as when you walk into a room with an alien, and the camera pans to the alien, removes your hud and doesnt let you press tab, thats really annoying me.

also flying needs a complete overhaul imo, the controls feel so weird, manoeuvring just feels clunky and awkward, there need to be ships with side thrusters so that A and D can turn you around instead of just making you spin, flying is my least favourite part so far, flying from planet to planet is bearable, but flying from point A to B on a planet just sucks, you cant look around without turning the whole ship, cant see whats below you for when you're landing, imo these things should be reworked, would make flying your spaceship much less of a chore.
    Last edited by mmocef2fdcc82b; 2016-08-20 at 02:28 AM.

And...HUGE NEWS! the saddest part is that the devs are now thinking about the paid addons/expansions...wtf.... Source: http://www.pcgamer.com/no-mans-sky-creator-walks-back-no-paid-dlc-statement/ they've really failed with this statement.
    The only sad part about this is how many people are freaking out about what is probably the least committed response to the idea of paid DLC.

Bunch of ya'll are treating it like it's an announcement of paid DLC.

You know what he was actually saying? Something along the lines of if they really wanted to do a feature, and just couldn't find a way to add it to the game in such a way that didn't require an additional budget beyond what they currently have (as a supposed game developer, you should know all about budget constraints and how that can impact development, but like others I think you're lying out your ass about being a developer), that they might have to look at doing it as a paid DLC or expansion option, but that doing that isn't the current plan.

In other, other words, it's "We might have to in the future, but right now we don't plan on it."

And he's getting raked over the coals like he just announced Day One DLC Procedural Horse Armor for $5.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    also flying needs a complete overhaul imo, the controls feel so weird, manoeuvring just feels clunky and awkward, there need to be ships with side thrusters so that A and D can turn you around instead of just making you spin, flying is my least favourite part so far, flying from planet to planet is bearable, but flying from point A to B on a planet just sucks, you cant look around without turning the whole ship, cant see whats below you for when you're landing, imo these things should be reworked, would make flying your spaceship much less of a chore.
    It definitely needs it for PC - it's clearly designed for a controller, and works well enough there (though the no crashing/no going below a certain altitude and the no hovering in place even in space has me scratching my head) in terms of using the sticks, R1/L1 and R2/L2.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Berethos08 View Post
    The only sad part about this is how many people are freaking out about what is probably the least committed response to the idea of paid DLC.

Bunch of ya'll are treating it like it's an announcement of paid DLC.

You know what he was actually saying? Something along the lines of if they really wanted to do a feature, and just couldn't find a way to add it to the game in such a way that didn't require an additional budget beyond what they currently have (as a supposed game developer, you should know all about budget constraints and how that can impact development, but like others I think you're lying out your ass about being a developer), that they might have to look at doing it as a paid DLC or expansion option, but that doing that isn't the current plan.

In other, other words, it's "We might have to in the future, but right now we don't plan on it."

And he's getting raked over the coals like he just announced Day One DLC Procedural Horse Armor for $5.
    paid DLC isnt even that bad imo as long as its adds enough new content to justify the price, and doesnt make the base game unplayable. (looking at some of the old call of duty map packs that made it so you needed the new map packs to play online multiplayer)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Berethos08 View Post
    It definitely needs it for PC - it's clearly designed for a controller, and works well enough there (though the no crashing/no going below a certain altitude and the no hovering in place even in space has me scratching my head) in terms of using the sticks, R1/L1 and R2/L2.
    not tried it with a controller, but most of the game seems like the UI is designed for controller.

Am I doing it wrong? The transmission towers I get from the chip bypass only have multitool schematics, no crashed ships. There are sometimes engines but locked behind the Atlas pass I dont have yet.

Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    Am I doing it wrong? The transmission towers I get from the chip bypass only have multitool schematics, no crashed ships. There are sometimes engines but locked behind the Atlas pass I dont have yet.
    Nothing we're talking about are locked behind Atlas Pass doors. I bumped myself to 48/48/24 looong before I got the Atlas Pass upgrades.

Transmission towers have a central console. That console ALWAYS takes you to a crashed ship. Observatories ALWAYS take you to a monolith. Manufacturing plants give you a special manufacturing recipe, like the manufacturable items, the Atlas Pass v2/v3, and so forth (not multi-tool/exosuit/ship recipes, I believe).

The central consoles look like this;

The grid you see behind it is what pops up when you get the question right. There's usually an alien in the room, too; he can be ignored (or not; he's just irrelevant to the crashed-ship-chase).

Did anybody really believe that a team of 15 people would successfully create an entire universe ?

Yeah you can boil it down, but the shooting a beam at a rock in this case seems to get old pretty quick. Maybe the range is so large that some people are getting awesome planets and some people are getting nothing but lame ones? Maybe the green/blue ones take too long to get to for most people. It's a farming game, and those are fun to some people but others expected a lot more (fault of the devs+way too much hype).

You can apply my response to Endus to the rest of your post. This part is silly though, there are lots of legit reasons to dislike the game, mostly because the devs lied about a bunch of things.
    There's very little to actually farm in terms of shooting rocks. The longest I spent farming was:

1. Upgrading my exosuit to 48 slots
    2. Upgrading my ship to 48 slots.

And that took all of maybe 8 hours average for each one. At that point, the materials required for the warp upgrades require very little rock shooting. This game in general requires so little actual rock shooting - unless you WANT to shoot rocks to sell said rocks for money.

As I said, this game doesn't hold your hand. You say that maybe people don't get lucky. A lot of those times that it seems people "don't get lucky" they really just didn't find out what to do or how to play the game to get what they wanted so they quit. This game is very different from other games that lead you to how to base build, or how to upgrade yourself, or how to upgrade your ship, or in general other games that tell you HOW to progress. This game however you must figure it out on your own, and I see a lot of people getting frustrated and giving up at that stage, the stage where they have to figure it out.

And yes, that is a taste thing. It's not a bad thing. They have a short attention span for games that make you figure things out. They do not want to play something that requires too much thought... and again, I cannot stress that this is not a diss on them. They don't have that attention span, but that is just their tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    Did anybody really believe that a team of 15 people would successfully create an entire universe ?
    yes, And they have, such is the wonder of procedural generation. You only have to make a formula and that makes billions of worlds on its own.

The universe creation worked fine. The sandbox is there.
    The problem is there are not enough toys to play with in the sandbox.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Nothing we're talking about are locked behind Atlas Pass doors. I bumped myself to 48/48/24 looong before I got the Atlas Pass upgrades.

Transmission towers have a central console. That console ALWAYS takes you to a crashed ship. Observatories ALWAYS take you to a monolith. Manufacturing plants give you a special manufacturing recipe, like the manufacturable items, the Atlas Pass v2/v3, and so forth (not multi-tool/exosuit/ship recipes, I believe).

The central consoles look like this;

The grid you see behind it is what pops up when you get the question right. There's usually an alien in the room, too; he can be ignored (or not; he's just irrelevant to the crashed-ship-chase).
    Atlaspass v2 and v3 come from operations centers, not manufacturing facilities. Manufacturing facilities mostly give you practical upgrade things for your ship and exosuit upgrades, operations centers give you recipes for either items you can craft to sell for big money or stored energy/shielding.

Also a minor correction about transmission towers and aliens, it's going to depend on the planet. Some planets have aliens in every building, some planets are more or less abandoned and have aliens in none. I did most of my ship upgrading on a planet where there were no aliens in any of the transmission towers. Each planet is going to be unique in that aspect, but yes, transmission towers are how you upgrade ships.

Oh fuck me, this is really annoying after a while. They need to make the NPC dialogue options appear instantly.

Also I really would like a screenshot mode for the PS4 that removes all the UI elements. No point taking any screenshots currently because the image has got icons all over it.