Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What I'm most looking forward to each expansion

New levels
    New zones
    New quests
    New dungeons
    New raids

These are the things that I'm looking most forward to each expansion. I think that since Cataclysm or so there has been too much focus*** on "new features" (Pet Battles, Garrisons, LFR, ...) and changes instead of what I'd call "raw content" (listed above). I'd argue that most players don't want the game to try and reinvent itself each expansion or even in a patch. This is what has happened several times though, just compare the way levelling, dungeons and raids have been experienced in each expansion. Take a look at the 100th change to raid difficulties in WoD (this thread is not about raid difficulties, just a concrete example of the kind of changes I'm talking about).

TL;DR: New features and changes each expansion detract from the original core features of WoW, listed above. I think expansions should put more focus on simply adding more content. Am I alone with this mindset, or are there more people who just want to enjoy WoW the way it is?

***I think I should clarify that I think the community has put too much focus on such things ("Why are garrisons the only new feature in WoD?") since Cataclysm or so. Blizzard has obviously been changing up WoW since the beginning. For example, TBC brought forth massive changes to the listed core aspects by implementing flying, heroic dungeons, dailies, raid size changes, etc.
    Last edited by reckoner04; 2013-12-28 at 01:53 PM.

Deleted
    it's super easy, without new implementations people will stop playing because the game gets old and boring.

The game is meant to be an MMORPG, not an MMO action game.

Quote Originally Posted by halax View Post
    it's super easy, without new implementations people will stop playing because the game gets old and boring.
    My point is exactly that aside from a few select features like transmog, I don't think they add replayability and effectively keep the game from getting old and boring, as you put it.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Did you post in the wrong thread? I don't see how this relates to the OP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by reckoner04 View Post
    My point is exactly that aside from a few select features like transmog, I don't think they add replayability and effectively keep the game from getting old and boring, as you put it.

The game longevity and still massive player-base contradicts this. You can say "I don't think think..." but you should context that with some empirical data, which you have not.
    Blindingly defending Blizzard; ignorantly trashing Blizzard. Both require an emotional investment that I'm unwilling to give. I'll take reason, logic, facts, and the willingness to accept that I may be wrong. At the end of the day I'll have nothing to account for and I may even have learned something.

Quote Originally Posted by Aztrazolo View Post
    The game longevity and still massive player-base contradicts this.
    How can you say that? You didn't take a glimpse at an alternative universe where another scenario played out and there has been lower longevity/playerbase, did you?

Quote Originally Posted by Aztrazolo View Post
    You can say "I don't think think..." but you should context that with some empirical data, which you have not.
    That's why it's up for discussion. Neither side can "prove" anything.

15+ Year Old Account
    i always look forward to the big baddie of each expansion, thats my big thing...

10+ Year Old Account
    How can you say that? You didn't take a glimpse at an alternative universe where another scenario played out and there has been lower longevity/playerbase, did you?
    ...what?

That's why it's up for discussion. Neither side can "prove" anything.
    The fact that the game has retained the player pool it has actually does serve as evidence to one side of the argument. Will attrition eventually win in a context where potential player pools are not growing exponentially more than the former player pool? Of course.
    Blindingly defending Blizzard; ignorantly trashing Blizzard. Both require an emotional investment that I'm unwilling to give. I'll take reason, logic, facts, and the willingness to accept that I may be wrong. At the end of the day I'll have nothing to account for and I may even have learned something.

Deleted
    i always look forward to a new feature, such as LFR or LFG etc, or a new class.

although garrisons is a new feature, its not one that excites me in the slightest. all the stuff you listed OP i don't really get excited about, as its usually just all the same shit each expansion.

To see if they ever fix it where we can actually aim our cast to where we want to fish
    POWERED BY THE RED RAGE OF OUR CUSTOMERS, THIS IRON STEED WILL VALIANTLY LEAD YOU INTO BATTLE FOR THE ONLY FEW WEEKS YOU WILL USE IT. TAKES ONLY $30 AND YOUR SOUL TO ENJOY THE MOUNT EVERY OTHER PERSON HAS. BUY NOOOW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by coldrain View Post
    To see if they ever fix it where we can actually aim our cast to where we want to fish
    Would love this, but I think this is deliberate to hamper fish-botters.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanzlee View Post
    i always look forward to a new feature, such as LFR or LFG etc, or a new class.

although garrisons is a new feature, its not one that excites me in the slightest. all the stuff you listed OP i don't really get excited about, as its usually just all the same shit each expansion.
    LFR and LFG aren't new features, I assume you mean LFD and not LFG, they're tools for doing what's already in-game. A new class is basically coming up with a few new moves and copy paste 80% from existing classes while making balance worse and homogenizing more.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Everything; however, I will wait to look into it more until Beta.

There will always be a player base for World of Warcraft until Blizzard shuts down it's server.. people come to play the game for the content but stay because of the people.

~Spazzer

Those are just your personal opinions, influence by what you enjoy and do not. Just because you do not find them entertaining does mean they are not for others and should be removed.

In the end, we all want Blizzard to concentrate on the things we, personally, like the most and forget the rest.

I look forward the most to a new race and class.
    This time, i'm quite disapointed there isn't any.

10+ Year Old Account
    New levels
    New zones
    New quests
    New dungeons
    New raids
    We are of the same mind. I can't wait \o/

The quests and zones for me. It's only fun once or twice before it starts to get old, but the whole part of playing from the last level cap to the new level cap and exploring the new zones is the most fun part to me. I tend to get left behind when leveling with guildies/friends because I hang out in zones long after I don't really "need" to be in them anymore. Usually goes something like this:

<3 other guildies in my group> ok, we're level __ now, we can leave this zone
    <me> I'm going to do this next quest, want to see how the chain ends
    <3 other guildies> who cares, you don't get that much xp for it, and no good loot, you get twice the XP for quests in the next zone

Usually ends with me getting left behind and dropping group when they move on to the next zone. I've actually just started solo leveling since Cataclysm, because I like to take my time, read quests, watch RP, and so on during my first runs, but most of my friends don't. So I save the group things for when we start working on alts together. I don't mind the whole "GOGOGOGOGO" thing then.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2013-12-30 at 03:47 PM.

I agree; you never hear anyone say that they play the game for pet battles, BMAH, brawlers guild, LFR, proving grounds etc. I don't think it gets boring if they keep improving on the raw content, and Blizzard has done a fairly decent job of that this expansion; lets see if they can push it further in WoD.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    And yet it has turned into the latter quite rapidly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Haywire5714 View Post
    I agree; you never hear anyone say that they play the game for pet battles, BMAH, brawlers guild, LFR, proving grounds etc.
    You must only hang out with people of the same mindset then. There are plenty of people out there that enjoy those features immensely.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    You must only hang out with people of the same mindset then. There are plenty of people out there that enjoy those features immensely.
    I didn't say that people don't enjoy those things; I just don't think that Blizzard should devote too much time into that stuff, there's no longevity in it (except for pet battles I guess).