Thread: Outlast

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Outlast

SCARY :'(

That's all I can really say about it. I alt tabbed to make this thread as a way to help calm myself down. This game is going to give me a heart attack.

I'm the kind of person that can't even beat Amnesia because it's too scary. >< I'm gonna go as long as I can with Outlast but don't have high hopes.

Deleted
    I'm proud of myself I was able to beat that game , to cheer you up I will tell you second half isn't that bad as first one

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really a scary game, it just has its "boo" moments when they have someone pop out at you and have clashing symbols so it seems more severe.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

The game wasn't bad but at some point the big dude just wasn't scary anymore. I think you can do it :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Do this game use cheap jump scares with the ability to kill monsters or is it actual survival horror? Might be interested in it if its the later.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Do this game use cheap jump scares with the ability to kill monsters or is it actual survival horror? Might be interested in it if its the later.
    Can't kill anything unless it's scripted, you have to run away.

Deleted
    you have no way to fight them, only tool you have is video camera to help you navigate in the dark, and your legs (to run), you can also hide under beds, lockers and pray he won't open the one you're hiding in .

Its using cheap jumpscares without the ability to kill anything.

But I dont think that matters, Amnesia does that too and apparently its popular.

10+ Year Old Account
    It has jump scares, but it's more than that really. The entire ambiance and feel of the place is just creepy as hell. But yes, it has jump scares that will get you but they are for the most part not very predictable. In that way I don't know if I'd call them cheap. There aren't a lot of them, and the ones that do exist really surprise you. So basically the game is all about slowly inching your way through a creepy asylum, trying to escape but instead earning its dark secrets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bought this game when it was on sale a few weeks ago, but I haven't played it yet (too many other great things out). I'm really looking forward to it though. The horror genre has been sadly devoid of any...horror (gore =/= horror imo). And this game is really appealing, especially since its about running and hiding as opposed to marching down a corridor firing your shotgun. The vulnerability is a key factor in the suspense, and its hard to be vulnerable when you have a backpack full of pistols, rifles, shotguns, SMG's, and rocket launchers like a lot of "horror" games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bought this game a few months back on Steam and it will be the last game of its type I buy. Not really a big fan of the run and hide survival horror as I thought I was. Amnesia and Silent Hill:Shattered Memories did it much better though IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    Bought this game when it was on sale a few weeks ago, but I haven't played it yet (too many other great things out). I'm really looking forward to it though. The horror genre has been sadly devoid of any...horror (gore =/= horror imo). And this game is really appealing, especially since its about running and hiding as opposed to marching down a corridor firing your shotgun. The vulnerability is a key factor in the suspense, and its hard to be vulnerable when you have a backpack full of pistols, rifles, shotguns, SMG's, and rocket launchers like a lot of "horror" games.
    Eh, Dead Space scared me more than Outlast did and had better atmosphere to boot.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbotef View Post
    Eh, Dead Space scared me more than Outlast did and had better atmosphere to boot.
    I will agree with you there. Dead Space (first one) had me super paranoid, blasting every corpse on the ground I saw, scrambling for ammo, and getting even more cautious when I returned to an area and a corpse was missing.

10+ Year Old Account
    That first real jumpscare...you know, the one where you open the door. Yeah, I haven't jumped at a video game that hard in YEARS. I froze my pc because I accidentally kicked it, lol. Then I went and looked up a bunch of youtube videos to see people's reactions. This dude still has the best, I think he'll gain a lot of subs at some point. 9:37 in. Also, 11:13 lmfao.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucci View Post
    That first real jumpscare...you know, the one where you open the door. Yeah, I haven't jumped at a video game that hard in YEARS. I froze my pc because I accidentally kicked it, lol. Then I went and looked up a bunch of youtube videos to see people's reactions. This dude still has the best, I think he'll gain a lot of subs at some point. 9:37 in. Also, 11:13 lmfao.
    Hahaha! Oh man, this guy is great. He screams like me and he's a grown man.
    Subbed, this guy is really entertaining.

You know, it's kind of funny that I can laugh at this game now. My reaction was sooooo much like his, except there was a lot of alt tabbing and sobbing.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    SCARY :'(

That's all I can really say about it. I alt tabbed to make this thread as a way to help calm myself down. This game is going to give me a heart attack.

I'm the kind of person that can't even beat Amnesia because it's too scary. >< I'm gonna go as long as I can with Outlast but don't have high hopes.

Jump scares =/= scary.......
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    It's the tension that's scary. The music and the fact that you're helpless in the dark with nothing but a video camera on night vision mode to look through. If a game or movie isn't scary, a jump scare isn't going to do anything but make you jump slightly. But if it's scary and you feel tense and uneasy, it's going to scare the shit out of you when it comes.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

10+ Year Old Account
    You're kidding, right? It's easy to be an internet tough guy, but I'm pretty sure if I snuck into your house at night and jumped at you when you were trying to sleep it would scare the shit out of you. I would expect you would then shoot me in the face.

Seriously, though, when you have a spooky ambiance like a haunted mental asylum you are scared about what is right around the corner. When something jumps at you, it is scary. It's like the definition of scary.

Edit; The above post is definitely better than mine.

Deleted
    jumps SCARES are scary, when this fat guy grabbed me for first time with his "little pig" comment I almost shat my pants.
    I know you can predict them after a while "I know something's going to happen, i know something's going to happen" but when it does it scared me anyway.
    Besides the whole atmosphery in that game is creepy as hell, and I'm not thinking about heads on the wall and guts all over the place.

Each to their own, it's just about the only thing that scares me lol; It's why I HATE screamers with a passion, they actually make me fall out of my chair and nearly give me a literal heart attack lol.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    You're kidding, right? It's easy to be an internet tough guy, but I'm pretty sure if I snuck into your house at night and jumped at you when you were trying to sleep it would scare the shit out of you. I would expect you would then shoot me in the face.

Seriously, though, when you have a spooky ambiance like a haunted mental asylum you are scared about what is right around the corner. When something jumps at you, it is scary. It's like the definition of scary.

Edit; The above post is definitely better than mine.
    I would get startled., but not scared. Also I wouldn't be able to shoot you as I keep my guns locked up :P

While I haven't played it I have seen some footage of it being played, just doesn't seem scary to me.

RE1-3 those were scary games to me. (more so because I was pretty young at the time)
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.