Page 20 of 52 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IIBloodXLustII View Post
    How did this thread get off onto circumcision again? I thought we all agree'd to disagree on that one?
    I made the "mistake" of listing female circumcision as objectively wrong.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    OT; I was circumcised as a child and I'm glad I was, mostly because my father had a condition in his late 20's, and described it as being one of the more painful things he had to experience in his life. My mother, knowing this made the decision for me and while it wasn't a 100% chance of happening decided that doing this when I have no recollection of it would be much better than having problems later in life regardless of the small chances of it occurring.

On topic I can't say I can truly be happy about several people dying, but I can certainly sympathize with the girl. Whether or not it's culture or just the way things are in different parts of the world, doesn't mean that it's necessarily right. People do really bad things to oppress others in different areas of the world under the guise of religious/cultural things so they can look better. It obviously is tragic that 4 people ended up dying, but this girl quite fucking obviously didn't want anything to do with this and was forced into something against her will

Overall it's just tragic. For the death of those men and that poor girl for having to live in a society where she had to go to these steps to escape the feeling of being trapped with a scenario she wanted no part in.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    Do you have proof they were selling them for money? o_O
    Yeah. Human flesh is on high demand.

Since the 1980s, private hospitals have been involved in the business of supplying discarded foreskins to private bio-research laboratories and pharmaceutical companies who require human flesh as raw research material. They also supply foreskins to transnational corporations such as Advanced Tissue Sciences of San Diego, California, [1] Organogenesis, [2] and BioSurface Technology, [3] who have recently emerged to reap new corporate profits from the sale of marketable products made from harvested human foreskins. In 1996 alone, Advanced Tissue Sciences could boast of a healthy $663.9 million market capitalization performance.[4]

A short history of the institutionalization of involuntary sexual mutilation in the United States. Hodges F. in: Denniston GC, Milos MF (eds). Sexual Mutilations: A Human Tragedy. New York: Plenum Press. 1997:17-40.
    [1]. Forget pork bellies, now it's foreskins. Manson B. San Diego Reader (May 4, 1995): 12, 14 passim.
    [2]. New skin twin life- and look-save. Brewer S. Longevity (September 1992): 18.
    [3]. Companies see $1.5b market in replacement skin products. Rosenberg R. Boston Globe (October 19, 1992): 22-23.
    [4]. Biotech's Big Discovery. Hall CT. San Francisco Chronicle. October 25, 1996: E1, E4.

A tragic end to a terrible situation. She doesn't stand up for her rights by killing a whole bunch of people. We can of course sympathize with her situation and condemn the existence of child marriages, but this is not a good example for other oppressed women to follow. To me, this is little more than a revenge-kill, and that does not make her a hero. Hopefully this won't lead to girls in that part of the world having even less freedom.
    Mother pus bucket!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anchorman View Post
    Is it harm for the sake of harm? No, that's not why he's doing it.

And if you want to argue that causing unintentional harm is the criterion for classing something as 'objectively wrong', then it's a slippery slippery slope from there... (the example that comes to mind is second hand smoke. Go.)
    You asked what child abuse is. Unintentional harm is included under that definition.

To be honest, your argument is nuts. It doesn't matter if someone is forcing me down and raping me for cultural reasons and not intending to harm me. I'm still being raped, and it is still actually harming me. They are still cutting off a girl's clitoris and labia. That is still harmful. That is still wrong. They are still forcing a child into a marriage she does not want, and in which she will have no rights. That is still harmful. That is still wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHast View Post
    Yeah. Human flesh is on high demand.
    Okay, um. Could you provide actual links to those articles? Because they don't appear to exist and are only pulled up on anti-circumcision sites.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

You asked what child abuse is. Unintentional harm is included under that definition.

To be honest, your argument is nuts. It doesn't matter if someone is forcing me down and raping me for cultural reasons and not intending to harm me. I'm still being raped, and it is still actually harming me. They are still cutting off a girl's clitoris and labia. That is still harmful. That is still wrong. They are still forcing a child into a marriage she does not want, and in which she will have no rights. That is still harmful. That is still wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, um. Could you provide actual links to those articles? Because they don't appear to exist and are only pulled up on anti-circumcision sites.
    Don't argue with stupid, you'll never win.

1.) she killed a sicko that would get off on raping her every day every week every month every year for the rest of her life.
    2.) being raped every day would destroy her mentally and physically, therefore this case is preemptive self defense against RAPE.
    3.) she will now get her life ruined by being jailed anyways.
    4.) she will get jailed by her fellow countrymen.
    5.) her countrymen are rape apologists and support the culture of child brides.
    6.) her countrymen are stealth pedophiles.
    7.) therefore, she killed future child rapists, pedophiles, and their supporters.
    8.) nothing good will come out of Nigeria with such customs and traditions. It's time to forget non-interference policies and actually enforce human rights and fundamental freedoms on those countries. BY FORCE.
    Last edited by Wilfire; 2014-04-11 at 07:26 AM.

Deleted
    You do realise they're from the 90s?

Foreskins are used in the cosmetic industry. They're new tissue with next to zero chance of rejection. That's all you need to know.

Anything else is obvious and you're only deluding yourself by thinking hospitals are crazy enough to throw away money.

- - - Updated - - -

To be honest, your argument is nuts. It doesn't matter if someone is forcing me down and raping me for cultural reasons and not intending to harm me. I'm still being raped, and it is still actually harming me. They are still cutting off a girl's clitoris and labia. That is still harmful. That is still wrong.
    Why is female mutilation wrong, but male is okay?

Quote Originally Posted by Rickmagnus View Post
    Well they were all complicit in the act.
    She forgot to poison the family members of both parties that arranged the union

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffHast View Post
    You do realise they're from the 90s?

Foreskins are used in the cosmetic industry. They're new tissue with next to zero chance of rejection. That's all you need to know.

Anything else is obvious and you're only deluding yourself by thinking hospitals are crazy enough to throw away money.
    There are laws that prevent the use of cells that belong to a person without their express permission. This is due, in part, to the exploitation that occurred with a particular line of cancer cells that was taken from an African American woman without her knowledge or consent.

Why is female mutilation wrong, but male is okay?
    I never said it was. Please don't put words in my mouth.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Quote Originally Posted by ShimmerSwirl View Post
    The responses in this thread disgust me. Advocating murder as a "heroic" solution to a problem is absolutely foolish.
    Well what she did was heroic, now it being a good or bad thing is a different situation

(noun
    1.behavior or talk that is bold or dramatic, esp. excessively or unexpectedly so.)
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Deleted

Out of curiosity, could you provide an example of a culture which actively condones rape, and their reasons for it?

Harmful? Yes. But harmful does not necessarily equal wrong. I'm sure I could think of a better example, but jailing a criminal is seen as morally right and lawful, yet causes harm. And again out of curiosity, do you also view male circumcision as wrong?

As for arranged marriages, you are looking at it from a modern feminist's point of view, which unfortunately simply isn't valid in half of the world. We don't have any right to write a code of 'objective morality' and call them wrong.

Deleted
    There are laws that prevent the use of cells that belong to a person without their express permission.
    Laws are bypassed all the time.

It's not like you can -KNOW- if instead of throwing the cells to the dumpster they sold them.

You can't know and more importantly you can't -PROVE- it happened, which means they can use the cells without any risks.

A horrible solution to a bad problem. I expect she will be made to suffer a great deal for her actions. I also expect forced child marriages' husbands will be more careful about their food for some time.

Deleted
    Also, if you're discussing circumcision as an issue in itself, you're going off-topic. Circumcision is a good instance of morality vs cultural relativism, but discussing what happens to the foreskins and governmental conspiracies is just pointless and stupid.

Deleted
    Harmful? Yes. But harmful does not necessarily equal wrong. I'm sure I could think of a better example, but jailing a criminal is seen as morally right and lawful, yet causes harm.
    I actually pointed out in a previous page the difference between this kind of thing and prison and why that comparison holds no weight. Prisoners are not imprisoned because 'justice' there is actually logical reasoning behind it rather than merely cultural ones.

do you also view male circumcision as wrong?
    Yes. It is nowhere near as harmful as female circumcision but I believe it to likewise be wrong.

Deleted
    governmental conspiracies
    It's not a conspiracy.

Foreskins -are- used in research and -do- yield millions of dollars.

The only thing that's debatable is whether the hospital uses the cells without the ''owner'' signing the form.

Yes. It is nowhere near as harmful as female circumcision
    It's every bit as painful and bodily autonomy violatory.

10+ Year Old Account
    Out of curiosity, could you provide an example of a culture which actively condones rape, and their reasons for it?
    Pakistan, India, and, I believe, Afghanistan have all had accounts within the past 5 years of women gang raped at the order of village headmen who felt that they had shamed their village in some way, or to solve feuds between families. Essentially, the gang rapes were condoned because of either a fault against the woman, or against her family.

Harmful? Yes. But harmful does not necessarily equal wrong.
    I'm sorry, you're never going to convince me that it's "okay" to rape someone because your culture condones it. You're never going to convince me that it's "okay" to cut a little girl's genitals off and sew them back up because their culture supports it. And you're never going to convince me that forced marriages of little girls to adult men is "okay" because their culture says its okay. All of this is still wrong. You can stick your head in the sand and cry "but it's their culture!" but it's still wrong.

As for arranged marriages, you are looking at it from a modern feminist's point of view, which unfortunately simple isn't valid in half of the world.
    Arranged marriages are not forced marriages. Also: It's still wrong to force someone into marriage. It's still wrong to rape your wife.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bervose View Post
    I actually pointed out in a previous page the difference between this kind of thing and prison and why that comparison holds no weight. Prisoners are not imprisoned because 'justice' there is actually logical reasoning behind it rather than merely cultural ones.
    You're naive to think that cultures practice things like FGM purely because of culture. They practice it because, according to them, there is logical reasoning (combined with religious reasoning) behind it. So the two aren't really different.

Deleted
    You're naive to think that cultures practice things like FGM purely because of culture. They practice it because, according to them, there is logical reasoning (combined with religious reasoning) behind it. So the two aren't really different.
    Okay then. I am going to put you on the spot with this one. What is the 'logical reasoning' you speak of?