Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Saberstrike View Post
    What do you lot think?
    It's there to stop you from trying to do everything in a week and flaming out in spectacular fashion because of it.

Some people complain about certain countries being able to do raids twice a week, but frankly, if everyone could do that raiders would flame out a lot faster.

Blizzard's intention is to keep players playing for as long as possible.

Comparisons with single player games don't work as in most cases once you've bought that game, the designer doesn't care if you spend 10 minutes or 10 months on it, in fact getting people to complete it quicker so they buy your DLC might be advantageous.

Although it is mainly a business plan, there's also the element to it, that it's more "fun" when a raiding guild has a weekly set schedule, rather than running it over and over and over and over again for 1 month and beating it.

I honestly have nothing against rep tabards or dungeon finder. I don't want them to be gone, I simply want either an alternative or more solo worthy things to do that will meaningfully progress my character inbetween / instead of queueable things.

Quote Originally Posted by Maddoc View Post
    Yeah, it was much more time efficient and fun to spam trade. "LF Tank and Healer for Bot HC" for 1-2 hours. Then travel to the instance by flight path or flying (aka go take a piss/get something to drink), only to find out that the healer doesn't have a flying mount and can't get there, since you have no Warlock to summon him with. Super fun.
    I think this is some kind of attempt to piece together a scenario from old WoW, not based on your own experience but based on what you have read about old WoW from other posters. Summoning stones.

*~To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly.~*

10+ Year Old Account
    I usually only sign in around raid time so there isn't much waiting for me. Sometimes I'll sign in to farm mats/work ah.

Deleted
    6-8 more months of SoO till WoD... srsly wouldn't mind a daily CD on cloth if it would not bring a break between expansions for 15+ months... Blizzard is taking a piss at the people and people are fine with it.

I don't mind daily/weekly gating. Weekly lockouts on raids are a good thing even. But it would be nice if things like profession cooldowns, daily quests, weekly quests and the "double valor/justice/honor/conquest for the first X event each day" would stack, especially the daily ones. Missing a few days wouldn't feel like a missed opportunity that way.

They do this because its a subscription game. Forcing a piece of gear to take a month to make = easy $15

10+ Year Old Account
    As a person who does both raiding and PVP, here's the solution:

- World PVP.
    - Socialization with the guild. Seriously, is this shit dead now? Me and my guild have a fucking blast on Timeless Isle together just fucking annihilating people and talking shit to eachother. Does nobody else get this joy?
    - Level some alts (Character level, professions, anything.)
    - Go for some mounts/vanity items.
    - Grind some gold. Never can have too much of it.

If you don't find any of this enjoyable, then simply unsub and wait for the next expansion. This is the wait period. This is when all the negative people are going to say "game's dead, I knew it!" when we drop down to like 5 mil subscribers because of the lack of new content.

Then WoD will come out and we'll jump back up to 9, level out at 8, slowly drop down to 7 over some months, and stabilize there. Rinse and repeat.

Tl;dr wait it out or do something. Not everything is a queue. Not everything is a wait. Just fucking find something, it's pretty easy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ShimmerSwirl View Post
    I think this is some kind of attempt to piece together a scenario from old WoW, not based on your own experience but based on what you have read about old WoW from other posters. Summoning stones.
    Had it anything other than a Tempest Keep instance you might have had a point, but there was no way to get into the Botanica without a flying mount, and prior to 2.4 even a warlock couldn't help you.

Not really that much waiting in cutting edge progression raiding.

Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    Not really that much waiting in cutting edge progression raiding.
    are you kidding all that sitting around talking about strategies and explaining to that "one guy" for 10,000th time how something works and the guy who dc'd and swapping out players and slow loaders omfg waiting around in raids is almost worse than waiting on a queue because at least in a queue you can go afk or alt-tab without the risk of missing something actually important in between all the bullshit.

Snip
    Unfortunately there needs to be some sort of middle ground to be found. Otherwise some players will be compelled to spend every waking hour in the game, which makes it a tad unfair for the Semi-Hardcore and Casual players (with skill)

Granted it has to be, to a point. But it is necessary so people don't get ahead on time-spent only

Deleted
    World of Farmville?

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    No offense but those are stupid comparisons.

Also, stuff like Onyxia attunement from classic says hello for players who think it was so much better in the glory days.

it was. onyxia attunement is a shining example of what should be considered a "quest" compared to what questing is now. it was actual content that took actual time and dedication to complete. i've only seen videos as i didn't raid vanilla but in EQ I did the VP key, ST key, and Epic 1.0, which are comparable (and even more difficult). i truly wish MMOs had badass, epic questlines like that.
    Last edited by crunk; 2014-04-18 at 10:49 PM.

Speaking from the perspective of mostly a solo player / PvPer.

Am I the only one bothered by the amount of waiting and gating the game seems to be growing to use more and more of with each expansion? First there were daily heroic lockouts in TBC, then there were gated daily-based reputation grinds; Then it became better with tabards in wotlk and worse again when dungeon finder was introduced and 5-mans were boiled down to 'sit in queue' -- just like BGs.

Skipping to today, many professions have an annoying daily cooldown that you have to manage to make something cool -- as opposed to going out into the world and finding all the mats you need. Anything below proper raids is based on sitting and waiting in queues. The best non-RNG progression is gated behind weekly valor / conquest caps. Dailies are gone (and thank fucking god, good riddance), alongside to an extend 5-man lockouts -- admittedly, LFR took the place of 5-man heroics and that only has a tiny chance to give you upgrades once every bloody week.

So, to end my rant - am I the only one annoyed at the amount of waiting and gating there is between players and progression? In all fairness it just feels like lazy design, and right now at the end of an expansion is when it's at it's worst. Some could argue that it was always there for non-raiders, but here's the thing - presence of LFR kills any and all incentive for 99% of people to get better at the game and start proper raiding, which in the long run doesn't mean anything good for the game.

When you click a pandaren they sometimes say 'Patience, patience' -- and that seems to be a great summary of this expansion. It's just a whole lot of waiting for a mostly disappointing payoff.

What do you lot think?
    So, based on the line you said that "waiting and gating the game seems to be growing to use more and more of with each expansion" you're also implying that this is a growing problem for each expansion, yeh?

Well first off I think Vanilla(as in vanilla, not some expansion, as in what the game was from the start) started it all with Attunement quests for raids and having to farm the raid for a few months to get enough rep with hydraxian waterlords so that you could get the bottle of water or whatever so you actually even could reach the second to last boss that then later unlocked the real last boss of MC, so it took like what, 5 months(World first Ragnaros kills April 25th 2005, North American release 23rd november 2004) for the first end boss of a raid to be downed, now if that isn't gating I don't know what is.
    Also at first you didn't even get quests from lvl 50 to 60 if I remember right (quests was added rather quickly after the launch but it still had none at launch) leaving you with having to grind mobs to level up.

Secondly, I think the daily CDs are good so that the crafted items don't lose value(skipping daily CD with some extra mats is also a good thing imo to keep the value) wouldn't feel so special crafting that fancy thing of yours when there're 1000 other people trying to undercut each other in the AH for that same item, resulting in a value of like 500 gold and in turn making the mats for it completely worthless. That would also then likely result in people with said professions to complain about not being able to farm gold as other professions.
    Sitting in queues is just there because you don't want to find a "proper" group in trade, and on the topic of that, sitting in trade for an hour to get members for one 5-man isn't so great either compared to sitting in the queue and getting everything sorted for you while you fly off and gather mats or something.

One could argue that gated valor caps don't even matter when you can farm for gear endlessly on timeless isle that mostly give you better items (original valor items was 476 ilvl and required rep). Compare that to molten core, where every boss dropped like 7 something items that had to be shared on 40 people, yeh, have fun with that. And you think you have a small chance with loot in LFR now? HAH!
    And no, proper raiding is not dead, it's just there for the people with the commitment to it.

The way I see it OP is that you have a talent for finding things that has been improvements for the game and somehow making them into something bad for whatever reason.

To the people complaining about the effort and time that you have to invest for gear:

If you want don't want gear on a "CD" and wish a less gated and more time investing, then by all means go and try out all the korean mmorpgs. Like Aion, you can go grind AP and coins for days to get a piece of gear

Quote Originally Posted by Farabee View Post
    Imagine if Skyrim made you wait 24 hours to craft a new piece of gear, or do one of the main quests. Imagine if the Battlefield games only let you get X amount of upgrades each day or week. Imagine if Dark Souls only let you kill one boss a day.

In those games, the longevity of the content rests on how much you play. OP is saying WoW should be like that. Considering each of those games are still played, daily, by people I'd say it's not a bad idea to try out.

You mean like this 553 belt for 1700g on Quel'Thalas Alliance?

https://theunderminejournal.com/item...las&item=98612

All the current system does is gate the player power level until the content becomes trivial just like every other system. It doesn't happen any slower or faster than before, it's just more annoying.
    I guess we should be lucky that none of these games are competitive on a Massive multiplayer level. Otherwise we would.

Though, while you are waiting for your boss, go play skyrim

Ps. if all of wow gearing was remotely like timeless isle's 535 trinket. I would shoot my character's self

Quote Originally Posted by crunk View Post
    it was. onyxia attunement is a shining example of what should be considered a "quest" compared to what questing is now. it was actual content that took actual time and dedication to complete. i've only seen videos as i didn't raid vanilla but in EQ I did the VP key, ST key, and Epic 1.0, which are comparable (and even more difficult). i truly wish MMOs had badass, epic questlines like that.
    It wasn't as "badass" as you think it was. In fact half of the problem was trying to figure out where Rexxar was in Desolace.

Quote Originally Posted by ShimmerSwirl View Post
    Clearly, you're the one not having a clue. Because if you did, you would know that the Meeting Stone (not Summoning Stone) is placed on the mainland, not near the instance entrance. So take your utterly failed attempt at being a smartass, and go somewhere else.