Page 25 of 53 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nolliepop View Post
    apparently i'm very privileged? idk...

Most everyone enjoys some. You never really think about how likely it will be your water will kill you via horrible pathogen. Just living in the first world does that to you. Not your fault but everyone should enjoy that security.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    The only people loonier than the people who believe otherkin shit are the people who are so out of touch with reality that they think there's an actual threat of it being taken seriously.
    Oh, you mean like trans?

Quote Originally Posted by Trubo View Post
    My apologies if this is a bizarre line of questioning, I just don't get the point of focusing on privilege beyond some self-awareness exercise. I'm not sure how privilege can cause discrimination. I agree with your last point but how is normalcy a privilege? To me it would make more sense for that scenario to be privileged if the norm for all was to be fearful of rape but I don't believe that line of thought is how people generally think.
    Privilege doesn't cause discrimination. Its just one side of the social inequality created by it. Blindness to privilege can make it harder to address discrimination though. For instance if you never grew up being hated foe who you love it can be harder to convince you to support gay rights.

As for normalcy and privilege you're using the casual definition of the word. The one your parents use when they talk about your allowance. Privilege has a different meaning in sociology as we've been discussing. Avoid terms like normalcy. They're too subjective.

10+ Year Old Account
    My main issue with the entire "privilege checking" movement is that the entire notion is far more nuanced and varied than they want it to be. You simply can't quantify privilege or apply it to an individual in pluralistic societies like ours. It assumes too much without accounting for individual variances and is given much more importance than it deserves. Telling people to check their privilege is divisive and not very conducive to bringing people together. It comes off that way whether or not the intentions are good. Some of the people that really push the idea hard revel in their perceived victomhood, because they use it as a crutch to cover for their own failures. That's where the whole idea of the oppression Olympics comes from.

Privilege exists and it certainly benefits people, but it's not nearly as overpowering as people make it out to be in my view. I had every reason to fail growing up yet I didn't, and have never felt oppressed in my life. I grew up in a poor, single parent household in a very dangerous neighborhood for most of my youth. 2 of my family members were killed and more were imprisoned. I experienced physical, mental, and sexual abuse routinely for several years. Other than LINK we didn't have any outside help. That's my bias and anecdotal experience but I feel that most people can overcome things with hard work.
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    My main issue with the entire "privilege checking" movement is that the entire notion is far more nuanced and varied than they want it to be. You simply can't quantify privilege or apply it to an individual in pluralistic societies like ours. It assumes too much without accounting for individual variances and is given much more importance than it deserves. Telling people to check their privilege is divisive and not very conducive to bringing people together. It comes off that way whether or not the intentions are good. Some of the people that really push the idea hard revel in their perceived victomhood, because they use it as a crutch to cover for their own failures. That's where the whole idea of the oppression Olympics comes from.

Privilege exists and it certainly benefits people, but it's not nearly as overpowering as people make it out to be in my view. I had every reason to fail growing up yet I didn't, and have never felt oppressed in my life. I grew up in a poor, single parent household in a very dangerous neighborhood for most of my youth. 2 of my family members were killed and more were imprisoned. I experienced physical, mental, and sexual abuse routinely for several years. Other than LINK we didn't have any outside help. That's my bias and anecdotal experience but I feel that most people can overcome things with hard work.
    How much easier would it be to get to this point in your life if you didn't have to deal with those things though?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    How much easier would it be to get to this point in your life if you didn't have to deal with those things though?
    Probably a lot easier, but I don't blame anyone or society for my situation. I don't feel oppressed and never have, because I never felt that being poor was an injustice.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I'm pretty sure you have to be black, female, or homosexual to get near 0, let alone go negative, on that site.

I mean at least that doesn't require the universe to be disassembled and reconstructed for it to make any sense at all.
    http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...23/405/bb2.png

Found it on know your meme and it is likely what that little quiz goes off of.

Cultural Marxism.
    "The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." - Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Spriggan View Post
    Cultural Marxism.
    Are you just saying words? I love lamp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spriggan View Post
    Cultural Marxism.
    I am The Moonstar

15+ Year Old Account
    It's not an injustice, but a hurdle. SOMETIMES it can be injustice, say if a jury convicted you for a crime you didn't do because of your skin color. People are using much harsher words for simply needing to being aware of privilege and disadvantage than should be used. Things like feeling guilt or shame are whipped out when simple awareness is all that's needed.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Are you just saying words? I love lamp.
    It's here and it's real. Go look it up sometime, chuckles.

Deleted
    I am The Moonstar
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ8-ETHE9AI

Hello Travis.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WarlordsofDraenor View Post
    It's here and it's real. Go look it up sometime, chuckles.
    Check your Cisexistance privilege you hateful scum.

Words have multiple usages and meanings. Insisting on using one that the people you're arguing with arent and then attacking then based on the definition you use is silly.
    You've not met Tinykong before? It's like you can't have "up" without "down" but apparently there is no "up" only "down".
    Last edited by AeneasBK; 2014-05-14 at 11:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

You're confusing definitions. Privilege in this context is just some form of treatment or situation a group enjoys that another group does not. Its not like how when your parents let you stay up late on Fridays.
    No no, you have to have the race benefiting being the one in control over the situation where they're giving that race the benefits AND making it harder for every other race. Black people getting longer prison time isn't white privilege unless every other race is getting longer prison times AND it's a white judge who's doing the sentencing. It's not just treatment or a situation that one group enjoys that another group does not. Get it right!

Privilege generated by wealth has a lot more relevance than race or sex.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Probably a lot easier, but I don't blame anyone or society for my situation. I don't feel oppressed and never have, because I never felt that being poor was an injustice.
    I've been focusing on discrimination for the sake of ease here but privilege doesn't need to necessarily originate from some form of discrimination. There's always going to be poor and wealthy people. A lot of people view privilege as somehow an attack on someone, often fueled by bad actors on both sides, when really its just about being aware of how your situation in life is made easier in some way and how others might not share that experience.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Privilege generated by wealth has a lot more relevance than race or sex.
    Maybe? Not sure how you'd measure it or why it matters though.

No no, you have to have the race benefiting being the one in control over the situation where they're giving that race the benefits AND making it harder for every other race. Black people getting longer prison time isn't white privilege unless every other race is getting longer prison times AND it's a white judge who's doing the sentencing. It's not just treatment or a situation that one group enjoys that another group does not. Get it right!
    Your premise is incorrect. The white privilege in this case is not having your race be a factor in how much time you spend in prison, not that black people get longer sentences. That's the discrimination side.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    Your privilege level is Extremely Oppressed with a score of -3975

​dammit
    Quote Originally Posted by Caesonia View Post
    i dont know but im a lvl 145 shitlord apparently
    Your privilege, it's showing.
    These are cracking me up so much.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

I've been focusing on discrimination for the sake of ease here but privilege doesn't need to necessarily originate from some form of discrimination. There's always going to be poor and wealthy people. A lot of people view privilege as somehow an attack on someone, often fueled by bad actors on both sides, when really its just about being aware of how your situation in life is made easier in some way and how others might not share that experience.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe? Not sure how you'd measure it or why it matters though.

Your premise is incorrect. The white privilege in this case is not having your race be a factor in how much time you spend in prison, not that black people get longer sentences. That's the discrimination side.
    That's not how white privilege works according to Booshman, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    That's not how white privilege works according to Booshman, sorry.
    Bully for him?