Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    There might have been significant differences in faction culture pre-bc, but BC muddled it and it disappeared shortly after that (adding Blood Elves to the Horde). Nowadays, both factions are pretty similar culture-wise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere between here and the sick, twisted world inside my head
    Quote Originally Posted by ribald View Post
    I often seem to come across people who express the sentiment in the title, and I've always found it pretty obnoxious. Aside from personal taste, when people try to explain why the Horde is better than the Alliance it often just seems to come down to "The Alliance/Humans are racist". Seriously?

The Humans arguably have fair reason for not trusting the Orcs given that they were responsible for two massive wars against the humans whilst possesed by demons (I'll admit im not a lore expert), and aside from that the Horde allows straight up evil people and factions to be members. The Bilgewater Goblins are led by a guy who sold his own people into slavery, the Forsaken and Sylvannas seem to betray or screw over both the Alliance and other members of the Horde regularly, the Blood Elves are all insane magic addicts, blowing up Theramore for no reason, so on and so forth. And lets not forget we just had an entire expansion where the Horde's new Warchief almost unleashed an ancient evil on the world and did all sorts of evil stuff, yet we're not meant to blame the Horde as a whole because it was apparently all entirely Garrosh's fault.

Maybe I've got some stuff wrong, if so tell me, but I can't really see why we get Horde players who act like the Horde are the poor downtrodden underdogs who keep getting oppressed by the mean Alliance.
    Right you are:
    The Alliance have a fair reason not not liking the Orcs, since they did start two wars and tried to kill every Human, Dwarf, Gnome and Elf, and take over their land simply because they had been dumb enough to kill their own lands. They never tried to negotiate, and didn't have any problem with allying with other races, so why not the Humans? The Orcs on the other hand, simply hate the Humans based on racism, since they instantly hated the Humans as soon as they arrived on Azeroth, not to mention they are angry they lost, sore losers.
    And besides, even if the demons were responsible for a lot of their actions, the orcs never tried to explain to the Alliance what had happened, they just felt that all they had done while under the demon influence had gone away with the curse, so they had never caused all that carnage. They didn't even try to explain any of this but pretended it never happened, and haven't even tried to atone for it, simply laying the blame on the Alliance for not having forgotten it themselves.
    The Horde is and always will evil. That's a fact.
    Last edited by Lupinemancer; 2014-05-24 at 10:46 AM.

Deleted
    some people just take this shit way to seriously

10+ Year Old Account
    The notion of "Fuck the Alliance" (Or the Horde) doesn't really bother me much and i just ignore such comments.
    I feel this way largely because it is often difficult to gauge if somebody is joking about it or is trying to incite some kinda controversy over somebody picking another faction. If somebody is joking about it then fine, but that type of joking around isn't my cup of tea. If the person is trying to incite some kinda argument then they need to be grow up and aren't worth my time.

For me, I find the Alliance boring. Humans are just...meh. Varian was pretty much 'who?' for me when I started playing. Same with the Dwarves. Scottish accents and beards. Gnomes I see as silly little footballs with feet, kinda like those hardhat guys from the Mega Man games. Night Elves were interesting once upon a time, nowadays pretty flat and meh. Draenei are interesting for she-goat /waggle and that's about it. Worgen had potential, but they got handwaved as 'lol noble savages nope no problems here' and so are again in the grand union of meh.

Everything about them just strikes me as either bland and uninteresting or, frankly, cornball. Not to say there isn't any cornball in the Horde, but they always felt much more interesting and rounded, racially and culturally. So that's why I stuck with the Horde and just let the Alliance be 'those other guys over there'.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightfist View Post
    If I had to guess why, I'd say because it's the more 'aggressive' faction, or that Blizzard has done more to cultivate faction pride with it.
    I'd say its the latter. The issue is I feel there is a very vocal group of people who further validate their choice in faction by verbally dismissing the other.

Deleted
    blowing up Theramore for no reason
    While I kill Alliance rather than swear at them I would have to say....go check out the orc starting zone. Theramore started the fighting, Garrosh took them out. You play with fire you will get burned Jaina.

Quote Originally Posted by Brockus View Post
    While I kill Alliance rather than swear at them I would have to say....go check out the orc starting zone. Theramore started the fighting, Garrosh took them out. You play with fire you will get burned Jaina.
    Uh.

Garrosh started the fighting. He was a warmonger. It was sort of his thing. Did you miss the story arc?

Also, please keep in mind that Jaina almost destroyed Orgrimmar and everything in it. The only thing that stopped her was sweet, sweet dragon love.
    By Blood and Honor We Serve!

I WISH people on my server were like this! Instead, for more years than not at this point on my server, if you say a word about lore or basically anything having to do with the game besides trolling/talking shit you will be berated into the ground by everyone. God forbid someone points out in chat that Horde/Alliance are somewhere in town, not only will nobody care but you'll get 20 whispers calling you a fag or nerd and to kill yourself, as well as public chat making fun of you (if you're lucky they'll throw in racist comments too!). For some reason, for 5-6 years now it's just become this thing where acknowledging anything about the game (besides how easy it is or how much it sucks or how bad someone sucks) is a big no-no. Asking for help? Don't do it! Daring to use tradechat for actual trade instead of trolling? You'll be half chased off the server. 34 people calling you a gay n*gger who should commit suicide because you said there's a Horde rogue in the auction house? ABSOLUTELY FINE!

Quote Originally Posted by Brockus View Post
    Didn't Thrall "take" that land when he shipped over the orcs from EK?
    Also, the horde destroyed Northwatch Hold before attacking and later destroying Theramore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Herradura View Post
    I finally said fuck the Alliance after being fed up with their vocal players' cooooooooooonstant whining about the smallest of things.
    Horde players do the *exact* same thing, this is coming from a 9 year Horde Vet.

Both sides complain constantly about the other. The only reason you see more of one than the other is simple, Internet vocality.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by KenjiEvans View Post
    Right you are:
    The Alliance have a fair reason not not liking the Orcs, since they did start two wars and tried to kill every Human, Dwarf, Gnome and Elf, and take over their land simply because they had ben dumb enough to kiull their own lands. They never tried to negotiate, and didn't have any problem with allying with other races, so why not the Humans? The Orcs on the other hand, simply hate the Humans based on racism, since they instantly hated the Humans as soon as they arrived on Azeroth, not to mention they are angry they lost, sore losers.
    And besides, even if the demons were responsible for a lot of hteir actions, the orcs never tried to explain to the Alliance the had happened, they just felt that all they had done while under the demon influence had gone away with the curse, so they had never caused all that carnage. They didn't evne try to explain any of this but pretended it never happened, and haven't even tried to atone for it, simply laying hte blame on the Alliance for not having forgotten it themselves.
    The Horde is and always will evil. That's a fact.
    ... Someone hasnt' updated his information since Warcraft 2.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Neckbeard sports team mentality. The bottom of the barrel of mmo players and the bane of faction based games.

Quote Originally Posted by Mbison View Post
    Grow some thicker skin would be my advice to you.
    Fuck the Horde. Grow some thicker skin if you don't like it.

Honestly, fuck both sides who continue this childish faux-rivalry. Horde and Alliance are DESIGNED to have points of conflict and differences. But they are also both designed to be a shade of grey - neither good nor evil.

I do like the fact most of the anti-Alliance centiment comes from deceased characters who were no longer fully affiliated with the Alliance. By those standards the current Horde can be branded by the actions of the Dark Horde and Fel Horde!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    ... Someone hasnt' updated his information since Warcraft 2.
    Only 20ish years have passed between then. A lot of people remember it still, and many people who took part in those actions are still active as well. So recentment is understandable, on both sides.

Deleted
    "Fuck the King" - The Hound

Quote Originally Posted by ruga View Post
    Didn't Thrall "take" that land when he shipped over the orcs from EK?
    Also, the horde destroyed Northwatch Hold before attacking and later destroying Theramore.
    If I am not mistaken, no, Thrall didn't take anything. Thrall came to Durotar and settled there of his own accord, along with Theramore, the first human settlement on Kalimdor, to flee the scourge. Daelin Proudmoore decided to come to Kalimdor and assault (unprovoked) orcish settlements while claiming to be "searching for his daughter". After he was beaten back, he found his daughter at Theramore, and found Theramore Humans and Orcs were allies. Being pissed, he took over Theramore and launched a campaign against the orcs and their allies.

Northwatch FootHold (the one in Durotar) was established (I believe) as a foothold by Daelin. I think it was mentioned in the quest lines before all the quests were redone. Northwatch Hold (in Barrens) was established around the same time as Crossroads, so both humans and orcs (et al.) would have a presence in the barrens. Both were established because their original footholds lacked the means to grow food in a substantial manner. These last two sentences are never exclusively mentioned anywhere that I can remember, but are both eluded to in the books (I want to say, Cycle of Hatred).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by VincentWolf View Post
    Fuck horde. They're gay losers. Why do you care what they say or think? They exist to be our beating bags, nothing more.
    I guess using homophobic slurs is okay by todays standards, lets all start calling people gay or dykes!

Infracted.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2014-05-19 at 10:44 AM.

I think a lot of it has less to do with faction pride and more to do with just trying to offend the other party involved. If the Censer of Eternal Trolling taught me one thing it's that everyone hates everyone else.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

10+ Year Old Account
    I also find the whole "fuck the Horde" and "fuck the Alliance" rivalry to be a little obnoxious. I mean it's fun to stick with a side and say "I am a Horde/Alliance soldier" but when people take it too far like saying "fuck the Horde they're just a bunch of filthy savages" and they don't have a single Horde character, it just becomes an annoying fanboy-ism just like the PS3/4 and Xbox 360/One fanboys who have never experienced their rivals console for themselves, yet they will say how much better their console is compared to the other.

Although I am a Horde player, I like both sides. I have characters for each side and I enjoy playing on both factions. Both have interesting quests, stories, and characters just like PS3 and Xbox 360 are both excellent consoles with their own pros and cons and I'm sure the same goes for PS4 and Xbox One.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PuppetShowJustice View Post
    I think a lot of it has less to do with faction pride and more to do with just trying to offend the other party involved. If the Censer of Eternal Trolling taught me one thing it's that everyone hates everyone else.
    This is true, the amount of verbal warfare within same-faction on TI and LFR is staggering.