Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Kelimbror, of course nobody is being censored, but you're prevented from having effective discussions because everyone can jump in with anything they want at any time and it's difficult to go back to the topic you were interested in at a later time. Also, I meant individual conversations in the context of topics, not people. It's a pretty simple concept.

If megathreads are so great why does MMOC have forums at all? It wouldn't exist as it does today because nobody would use it.

Your anaglogy doesn't work. This is an international forum - in a megathread people come and go, posts are buried and nobody wants to filter through pages of posts on the off-chance someone bothered to contribute further now the conversation has moved on.
    Last edited by mmocc5b636c3e7; 2014-05-30 at 01:43 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vomitory View Post
    If it were the case that megathreads were managable, useful and had no downsides as you're trying to make out then we wouldn't have forums at all..
    I've never stated that they have no downsides. Of course there are downsides. They simply do not overcome the lack of need at the moment combined with the work/consequences of setting up an alternate method.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Disciples View Post
    As for the dead sub forums.
    Yea... None of the subforums are dead. There are still people who post in them. Yes the activity is lower than we'd like simply blowing up a forum after creating is extremely suboptimal. Not to mention the activity in those forums ebbs and flows as well.

Your proposed solution would basically mean us saying "yea everyone gets a forum but you know what, none of your posts matter because we are just going to nuke it all when we decide activity is too low". That's a by far worse situation.

The current policy isn't perfect at all, but it's pretty fair overall.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cos I'm lazy (WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO ABOUT IT), I'm just going to repaste this from the ESO thread in S&F, since it mostly applies here too:

Guys, we really want to keep this thread open so folks have a venue to plead their case to the admins, but the bickering and hostility really needs to stop.

I understand that people are really sad that they don't have a forum yet. I understand that people might not understand or agree with the reasons why the admins have not added a subforum.

We have lots of moderators who are very excited about ESO (and Wildstar, since it's another popular subforum request) so your lack of a subforum is not some kind of vindictive attempt to squash any game that isn't WoW, as some have suggested. All of us share one thing in common: we're all gamers, we all love games (of all varieties!), and we want to support the gaming community. If the admins thought we had the activity level for an ESO WILDSTAR subforum, we'd be absolutely happy to have it around.

In the meantime, please keep activity up in the megathread to show your ongoing interest in the game, continue leaving constructive feedback here, and please let's chill out a little. It would be awesome if we could all discuss the topic in a way that, rather than reflecting rage over a lack of subforum, shows the incredible excitement and enthusiasm many of you have for the game. That will not only keep the thread a much more enjoyable and productive place, but it's a lot more likely to appeal to the admins.

THANKS DUDES APPRECIATE IT ZERO PEOPLE EATEN TODAY

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    THANKS DUDES APPRECIATE IT ZERO PEOPLE EATEN TODAY
    Yay another one. I'm too lazy to even copy/paste. Just look at my response in the other thread.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    But if we went with that approach with everyone knowing their threads would be deleted then why would people put forth effort? Especially if trying to theorycraft, go over lore, etc? We'd be back at square 1 as we are now with the exception of everyone's posts are intact and able to converse without much issue.
    People actually care about that? Maybe I'm the odd one in the bunch, but I could not care less if every single one of my posts I ever made on MMO-C was deleted. Hell, I delete a good portion of them myself already. :P

Also, theorycrafting is outdated the second a balance patch comes out, so I don't know who's in favor of keeping information that's no longer valid or applicable. Additionally, I don't think I've ever in the history of these forums sought out or had to seek out old posts. The only exceptions I recall making are the class threads in GW2 and that's only because if I didn't a mod would just merge my thread into it anyway.

I don't have an issue with mass purging, in fact, I actually don't understand why there isn't some routine/periodic purging anyway. It's either a topic worthy of either a sticky, of being updated enough to remain in the first 5 pages, or is probably headed towards the realms of oblivion where it will be completely forgotten possibly even by the people who posted in it. I mean, Hell, what happens when someone "necros" a thread? It gets locked, so what's the point?

Anyway, another option albeit time consuming, would be to funnel all the 'dead' sub forum topics into Video Games, just add a tag header to each one, e.g. [GW2], beforehand. I don't think anyone ever thought merging it all into one megathread was a good idea. Hardly anybody reads through those anyway. How many times have you seen, "I couldn't read through 400+ previous pages to find the answer to my question, so..."?

Hell, if people have to put forth determination to obtain a megathread then an equal amount should be put forth to maintain one. Force the people who use the sub forums to go through the threads themselves and choose which ones they want to keep, the rest get purged.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

10+ Year Old Account
    If its still popular 3+ months after launch, they will likely add one. They learned their lesson with swtor/gw2/Rift. Mostly with Rift. The Rift subforum only gets a few replies a day. It shouldn't exist anymore, but they probably keep it because they dont want to take something away they already gave people. That is the reason ESO doesn't have its own subforum yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I mean, Hell, what happens when someone "necros" a thread? It gets locked, so what's the point?
    Well necro'ing is a case by case. In the case of Video Games the odds of it getting locked for that are slim. It's just on older threads where people post senseless stuff that gets necro'ed.

I'm suprised to see the Wildstar megathread almost surpassed the TESO one in pages

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    If the admins thought we had the activity level for an ESO WILDSTAR subforum, we'd be absolutely happy to have it around.
    At the moment of this post

Total posts in ESO megathread, game is released - 28,072

Total posts in Wildstar megathread, game is released soon - 27,442

Total posts in Heros of the Storm subforum, game is in closed alpha - 2,448

Totally not biased.
    Life is short Glory is eternal

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteResistance View Post
    Blizzard game.

Totally not biased.
    That poor scroll bar being so huge because of heroes of the storm. Such a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    If its still popular 3+ months after launch, they will likely add one. They learned their lesson with swtor/gw2/Rift. Mostly with Rift. The Rift subforum only gets a few replies a day. It shouldn't exist anymore, but they probably keep it because they dont want to take something away they already gave people. That is the reason ESO doesn't have its own subforum yet.
    IMO, Rift deserved and made very good use of its sub forum. It's a little upsetting to keep seeing people hold it up as an example of what not to do. I played Rift from beta until a year after launch and was very active there along with many others. I can't comment on the state it's in now though, nor do I know when its apparent decline began, but it very well served its purpose for at least a year as far as I'm concerned and in non-WoW MMO terms that is a significant amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    I'm suprised to see the Wildstar megathread almost surpassed the TESO one in pages
    I'm not. It's a new MMO and everyone has been lured to the "shiny" in hopes it surpasses the last MMO(s) they played. It'll be fantastic for some, mediocre for others, and I'm sure plenty will regret the purchase just like with every other MMO.

I should note that I'm not actually arguing in favor of a sub forum for Wildstar, btw. I just find most of the forum politics, for lack of a better word nonsensical, and this seems to be where most of the discussion about it is occurring. :P

Personally, I think Wildstar is going to have a difficult time with player retention, especially of casual players who tend to place importance on questing (which theirs is terrible) and solo activities (of which they have none but housing). I think the only people willing to pay monthly for it are going to be hardcore raiders (and that's assuming their raids are as 'awesome' as the dev speak video makes them look). I haven't even read anything great about their PvP come to think of it. As it is, nearly every time I check the Wildstar megathread it's pages and pages of discussion about raids anyway.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Totally not biased.

It is very much biased as this is a blizz/wow fan site first and foremost. So yes it is biased

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    It is very much biased as this is a blizz/wow fan site first and foremost. So yes it is biased
    And also not problematic as it's not hush hush or anything.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    Only thing that surprises me is that there isn't a StarCraft 2 subforum

10+ Year Old Account
    I took my little time and remade it too look much better:

What do you think? Rec forum would have EU/US/other countrys split.
    Probaly i should also add a path forum, but i have no idea how popular it would be.
    Its probaly small enogh to fit into a subforum under prof.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

That looks.... pretty sweet

Maybe we'll see that in the future if somehow WoW loses 7 million subs to Wildstar... a man can dream :P

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Only thing that surprises me is that there isn't a StarCraft 2 subforum
    It's for mods and ppl with 12k post.
    You cared enough to post.

I have a feeling even if the game is successful enough it will not get a spot on these forums.

I love MMOC but ill probably come around less and less from here on out.