Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    When mount cast time was 3 seconds.

Deleted
    Very rarely, a full big quiver always lasted me a full raiding night, although I never progressed past Sindragosa, so might be underestimating LK wipefests.
    Usually I got more punishment fot forgetting to feed my pet.

I remember having to use distracting shot to pull a target to you so you could trap it!
    If it broke you would kite with wing clip.
    Do you know what nemesis means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent, personified in this case by an horrible c**t.
    ME!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeh i remember that. It's better the way it is now.

Was an easy but rare skilled not many hunters had.
    Trapping haha
    Do you know what nemesis means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent, personified in this case by an horrible c**t.
    ME!

lol and then there was the super elite ammo for that max dps

I also remember explosive trap just being a fire dot over time.
    I think that's what it used to do?
    ME!

Quote Originally Posted by gloucester View Post
    I also remember explosive trap just being a fire dot over time.
    I think that's what it used to do?
    You're thinking of the single target one, Immolation Trap, R.I.P.

I remember being able to lock down five mobs at once, when they allowed multiple freezing traps and Readiness, and it meant you were a god in BC heroics. Tanks and healers loved you.

Pre-trap, pull near the CD finishing, one trapped. Drop second trap, two trapped. Wyvern Sting a third, hit Readiness. Trap a fourth, Wyvern a fifth, and optionally kite a sixth, if the group hadn't dealt with the others. Lasted until 2.3, when they nerfed Readiness Freezing Trap in combat.

Got it partially back with 2.3.2 allowing the first two traps in the sequence.

Also, think about that level of CC, and laugh at the crying today. If you're old school, laugh at the people who cried about FD Trap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

Yes I remember having less bag space on a warlock and hunter than on the other classes.

Yes I remember having to get engineers to craft me the best ammo in the game because it was superior to anything vendor bought.

Yes I remember having to lay my traps at my feet and having no means of launching them to a chosen location.

Yes I remember having to feed my pet every single time it died, as well as just periodically.

Yes I remember my pet dying on every single fight constantly because back then they didn't have backed in near-immunity to AOE damage and never got healed by healers.

Yes I remember having to earn my pet's trust, raise it's loyalty slowly over time just to earn the points you spent to train it new abilities that should've been passive. I also remember having to go tame a dozen dumbass cats and other creatures all over the world just to learn each individual rank of the Claw skill that I had to teach to my pet.

I remember pets being stuck in their ferocity/tenacity/cunning trees and unable to change. Before that I remember pets that simply had different stat increase or decrease modifiers based on family. Before that I even remember some pets that had different stats than other members of the SAME family and how King Bangalesh from stranglethorn was the most commonly used pet in the game because he ran fast as hell, had Claw as well as Bite for energy dumps where most pets had one of the other. Having both was ideal because bite did more damage for the energy cost but had a cooldown and claw was a straight up spammable ability to consume all excess energy.

So yes I remember all that and more. Why are we remember this stuff again? Hunters are in much better shape and much better designed these days than they ever were back then. All pets are normalized in health, damage, and armor modifiers, they have talent trees you can change for additional abilities and modifiers, they each have family-specific abilities now that include every raid buff as well as every raid debuff in the entire game as well as utility shit. Hunters use focus now which gave their dps rotation actual depth instead of spamming arcane shot on cooldown and mostly just autoattacking like in vanilla or the god-awful phase of existence they went through where Aspect of the Viper was a "thing" and reduced damage dealt by something like 75% that you had to throw on to actually regenerate mana with. They no longer have a dead zone or even a minimum range anymore.

Basically hunters have simply gotten better and better and better as the game has gone on. So many quality of life improvements and extra things given to them.

The only thing that has happened to hunters in all these long years I was not a huge fan of was perhaps the loss of their melee weapons. I always enjoyed the feel and style of dual wielding swords or something for "close encounters" and using the bow for ranged most of the time. But being able to whip out the swords and dual wield a bit was also fun and enjoyable. I remember Mongoose Bite and Raptor Strike, I remember using wing clip many a time, especially since back then concussive shot had a short duration than cooldown by a long ways and you couldn't keep things permanently snared.

I had always hoped one day they'd add an aspect that boosted your melee fighting skills so that you might be able to do that in lieu of being ranged while in that aspect and making the melee dps comparable. But alas, it was not to be. It never happened and they ultimately removed melee weapons altogether. I can understand why they did it, during the great "pruning" of all class-specific items and normalizing every single class to use the exact same items and everyone lost yet another layer of uniqueness. It made sense really, but I still feel a little bitter about it if for no other reason than I just liked seeing my dual swords hanging from my belt. Especially now that transmog is a thing.

My old ass hunter still uses a Rhok'delar as a transmog though. Nothing says "old school hunter" like wielding Rhok'delar. I also made sure to tame every "glitch" pet I ever heard about since the beginning. I got a hydra, I got a worgen, I got the ghost wolf as an actual wolf instead of a spirit beast, I got all kinds of mess. It's always important to tame those buggers while you can because you know eventually they'll get fixed and you'll have missed your chance.
    I like ponies and I really don't care what you have to say about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasani View Post
    Why are we remember this stuff again?
    Way to miss the point of the thread, Miss Sunshine.

But hey, let's address some of the reverse rose colored glasses...

All pets are normalized in health, damage, and armor modifiers
    And might as well be replaced by floating grey cubes. You have a hard earned rare tame? Congrats, it's exactly no better than that bear the other guy picked up at level 5 in Dun Morogh.

they have talent trees you can change for additional abilities and modifiers
    Not in MoP they don't. You pick a spec and that's it.

they each have family-specific abilities now
    Had those from the beginning.

that include every raid buff as well as every raid debuff in the entire game as well as utility shit.
    Except for AoE sunder, they're all meaningless in 25 man, and before you answer about 10 man, it might surprise you to learn WoD will be 20 man. If you need pets to cover buffs, fix your composition.

Hunters use focus now which gave their dps rotation actual depth
    Eh, all it really does is put our resource entirely on us, rather than external buffs. Focus management isn't THAT hard, and frankly, I'm not here to stare at a rotation. Simpler rotations mean attention on harder fights.

instead of spamming arcane shot on cooldown and mostly just autoattacking like in vanilla
    1) Yes, Arcane Shot had a 6 second CD. 2) It did such complete shit damage that no one used it, except for quick pulls.. 3) The correct rotation was a slow bow (I'll let you figure out why), fitting Aimed and Multi shots in between autos.

or the god-awful phase of existence they went through where Aspect of the Viper was a "thing" and reduced damage dealt by something like 75% that you had to throw on to actually regenerate mana with.
    50%. I'm sorry you never heard of fel mana pots or mana injectors (you do remember that you could chain chug pots if needed?). Also, you should have had your Rets judging Wisdom. Lazy bums.

They no longer have a dead zone or even a minimum range anymore.
    Dead zone removal was due to "shit, we forget them for the StackUpTheBossArse fight", not as any real favor to us. You complain about no melee weapons, but that's the price for no minimum range.

But being able to whip out the swords and dual wield a bit was also fun and enjoyable.
    Maybe for looks, but not for anything serious. Harsh language had more effect than our melee.

I remember using wing clip many a time, especially since back then concussive shot had a short duration than cooldown by a long ways and you couldn't keep things permanently snared.
    Wing Clip, optionally Cheetah to get some distance, Frost Trap and talented Conc. Given that speed boosts were rare, you didn't need perma snares most of the time.

And then you write about getting the rare glitched pets and so on. There, that's the point of all this, to remember the fun we had. Lecturing everyone about how we've improved and therefore shouldn't remember is ridiculous and combative.
    Last edited by Feanoro; 2014-07-14 at 11:09 PM.
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

I remember dropping my freezing trap at my feet as early before the pull that I could, distracting shot my target the moment the tank pulled, then wyvern stinging another, and after the first mob froze itself, I would would drop a second trap a few more feet away, and distracting it once more after the trap broke, if needed. Obviously the mob put to sleep was killed before the frozen one.

That was for Magister's Terrace PUGs back when. Not like you need that much planning today

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanoro View Post
    You're thinking of the single target one, Immolation Trap, R.I.P.

I remember being able to lock down five mobs at once, when they allowed multiple freezing traps and Readiness, and it meant you were a god in BC heroics. Tanks and healers loved you.

Pre-trap, pull near the CD finishing, one trapped. Drop second trap, two trapped. Wyvern Sting a third, hit Readiness. Trap a fourth, Wyvern a fifth, and optionally kite a sixth, if the group hadn't dealt with the others. Lasted until 2.3, when they nerfed Readiness Freezing Trap in combat.

Got it partially back with 2.3.2 allowing the first two traps in the sequence.

Also, think about that level of CC, and laugh at the crying today. If you're old school, laugh at the people who cried about FD Trap.
    Readiness in bc? I think you're dreaming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    Readiness in bc? I think you're dreaming.
    Pretty sure it was a talent in the MM tree...hmm been so long

Quote Originally Posted by Miloscub View Post
    Pretty sure it was a talent in the MM tree...hmm been so long
    Nope, Readiness was originally Survival's end talent in BC. It was moved to MM for Wrath and CD reduced to 3 minutes from 5. Made for beautiful back to back Rapid Fires, especially with full ArP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hah, you guys had ammo. We had....soul shards...friggin soul shards....
    ---TransAwesome---
    A rainbow a day keeps the gloomies away.

Quote Originally Posted by Yindoo View Post
    When they added Mastery as stat in 4.0.1

As marksman I had to rep my bow every ~ 30minutes even w/o dieing.
    God help you if you had Zod's.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanoro View Post
    Way to miss the point of the thread, Miss Sunshine.

But hey, let's address some of the reverse rose colored glasses...

And might as well be replaced by floating grey cubes. You have a hard earned rare tame? Congrats, it's exactly no better than that bear the other guy picked up at level 5 in Dun Morogh.

Not in MoP they don't. You pick a spec and that's it.

Had those from the beginning.

Except for AoE sunder, they're all meaningless in 25 man, and before you answer about 10 man, it might surprise you to learn WoD will be 20 man. If you need pets to cover buffs, fix your composition.

Eh, all it really does is put our resource entirely on us, rather than external buffs. Focus management isn't THAT hard, and frankly, I'm not here to stare at a rotation. Simpler rotations mean attention on harder fights.

1) Yes, Arcane Shot had a 6 second CD. 2) It did such complete shit damage that no one used it, except for quick pulls.. 3) The correct rotation was a slow bow (I'll let you figure out why), fitting Aimed and Multi shots in between autos.

50%. I'm sorry you never heard of fel mana pots or mana injectors (you do remember that you could chain chug pots if needed?). Also, you should have had your Rets judging Wisdom. Lazy bums.

Dead zone removal was due to "shit, we forget them for the StackUpTheBossArse fight", not as any real favor to us. You complain about no melee weapons, but that's the price for no minimum range.

Maybe for looks, but not for anything serious. Harsh language had more effect than our melee.

Wing Clip, optionally Cheetah to get some distance, Frost Trap and talented Conc. Given that speed boosts were rare, you didn't need perma snares most of the time.

And then you write about getting the rare glitched pets and so on. There, that's the point of all this, to remember the fun we had. Lecturing everyone about how we've improved and therefore shouldn't remember is ridiculous and combative.
    How could you honestly care this much about something a random person said to you on the internet? Posts like yours just flat out make me sad to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbert the View Post
    How could you honestly care this much about something a random person said to you on the internet? Posts like yours just flat out make me sad to see.
    Wasn't said to me, it was more tiresome bitching about classic, BC, and Wrath even being mentioned. Gets especially old from Cata/MoP brats who pretend they were there.

To you though, if me telling someone they're being negative and bringing down a fun thread makes you sad, well cry more.
    Last edited by Feanoro; 2014-07-15 at 05:21 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Phoenix View Post
    There was also that one ability where you could control the pet; Eyes of the Beast, I think it was called?
    Yes!
    I remember taming a boar in westfall, keeping it low level and changing name so it matched the other boars (mobs) names.
    Then using Eyes of the Beast, to blend in with the wild boars while hiding behind a hill.
    Waiting for a low level, questing alliance player, who would kill boars for quests and pvp tags himself as soon as he attack my pet

Obnoxious Patriots Fan Darth Belichick's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Biggest use of Eyes of the Beast was pulling in MC and BWL. Me and another hunter used to chain pull in BWL so we could clear it in a little over an hour. Speed runs were fun.