Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Tired of ElvUI and its various clones?

Try one of these:

Altz UI
    // RealUI // KaitUI // ls: UI

Quote Originally Posted by Reverence View Post
    how do you figure someone wouldn't put much effort into raiding because they don't use a specific UI? Im so confused
    It's a really dumb roundabout way of measuring one's commitment to doing what they can to succeed based on issues or lack of commitment in irrelevant parts of their lives. I work in an industrial setting with many regulations and controls and one of the higher-ups loves to exaggerate simple mistakes and problems like a traffic ticket or not displaying the required parking decal because if that person has those issues or can't be bothered to remember a decal, then how can they be trusted to follow the regulations and controls while working?

Rejecting an application based on irrelevant personal gameplay preferences is just dumb for any guild, even Blood Legion or Paragon. I'd agree with something like having no addons because you simply can't raid properly with a pure default UI, but to nitpick on a UI that has the bare minimum addons to succeed is just ridiculous.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    this thread is a waste of internet

Take solace in the fact that you dodged a pretty big bullet. They were likely going to be horrible people to play with anyway.

7+ Year Old Account
    you didn't mention weakauras in your initial post (in your list of addons). weakauras is really useful and one of the few required addons for my guild (DBM or similar, WA2, and RCLootCouncil or w/e it is called). WA2 helps with chaining buffs like the new Aspect of the Fox and Amplify Magic, or the old Devotion Aura (you probably wont be chaining devo's because only holy paladins have it now). Weakauras can be generated for some boss mechanics that really help as well, like sawblades on siegecrafter.

im sure you will now claim to have weakauras installed and running, but if you don't you should. it might not increase your dps by 10%, but it is very useful in raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Supakaiser View Post
    As a non-elite raider, this just seems unnessary and ugly.

i can see how its much more convinient and everythings streamlined... but it just doesnt look as 'pretty' as the default.

For the small increase in effeciency, it looses a lot of the visuals. And unless your in the top guilds, that small increase really isnt needed.
    Last edited by Squigglyo; 2014-12-01 at 03:47 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Houyi View Post
    addons are a crutch. people rely on them instead of thinking for themselves, so they dont learn how to adapt, or how to react to new situations unless an addon tells them to.....

Addons are useful, if you want them. They are not required by any means.

other than a healer needing a decent mouseover/clique addon (or sets up their own macros), nothign is required.

omen? no longer necessary
    recount? not needed, indeed should be banned. use logs, much more useful. Only person who needs recount in raid is raidleader to see if group has overall dps, and ot check deaths etc.
    DBM - not needed, bosses telegraph obviously nowadays, if you know the fight its not needed.
    WA etc - if you need them fine, but dont assume everyone does.
    There is so much BS in this post you cant have say good DOT tracking on 3+ plus targets for 100% uptime without addons so straight up saying they are nothing more then a crutch then say but its ok for healers my god man there is so much addons can to do maximizing your role above what it would be without them example like i said I dont call that a crutch I call that min/maxing and any really hardcore guild is looking for min/maxers its that simple.
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No they don’t learn and evidence suggests that. Behavior also doesn’t change and if there is any hope of learning behavior has to change.

Not meaningless declarations easy to say after he regrets offering up evidence he’s a racist.

addons don't add anything that isn't available with the default ui they just change the way it's presented.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Squigglyo View Post
    As a non-elite-hardcore raider, this just seems unnessary and ugly.

i can see how its much more convinient and everythings streamlined... but it just doesnt look as 'pretty' as the default.
    That's subjective really. I don't think I would play WoW if I had to use the default UI. I just think it's super ugly. I started playing in late BC, immediately I was introduced to XPerl, loved it, worked nicely. Once I started getting into raiding in WOTLK I discovered TukUI and that UI really helped me become a crazy keybinder. Eventually I moved onto custom TukUI edits, eventually landing on ElvUI (still a good UI to this day) and in later MoP I swapped to RealUI because (to me) its sexy and streamlined.

Try one of these:

Altz UI

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fang7986 View Post
    addons don't add anything that isn't available with the default ui they just change the way it's presented.
    Last time I checked the default UI dosnt show spell tracking for everything on nameplates
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019
    No they don’t learn and evidence suggests that. Behavior also doesn’t change and if there is any hope of learning behavior has to change.

Not meaningless declarations easy to say after he regrets offering up evidence he’s a racist.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Firatha View Post
    There is so much BS in this post you cant have say good DOT tracking on 3+ plus targets for 100% uptime without addons so straight up saying they are nothing more then a crutch then say but its ok for healers my god man there is so much addons can to do maximizing your role above what it would be without them example like i said I dont call that a crutch I call that min/maxing and any really hardcore guild is looking for min/maxers its that simple.
    yes you can.

Well, maybe YOU cant, but others can.

I did not say all addons are a crutch, or that I dont use any, please re-read. I say a minimal number. (also< I did say healers can work with just macros, the default raid frames are actually acceptable now if not great).

but I've raided games much much harder than wow, with no addons, I've raided wow with no addons. can be done.

YOU may need them to min/max, dont assume I do. thats just projectign you own weaknesses onto me.

15+ Year Old Account
    That's subjective really. I don't think I would play WoW if I had to use the default UI. I just think it's super ugly. I started playing in late BC, immediately I was introduced to XPerl, loved it, worked nicely. Once I started getting into raiding in WOTLK I discovered TukUI and that UI really helped me become a crazy keybinder. Eventually I moved onto custom TukUI edits, eventually landing on ElvUI (still a good UI to this day) and in later MoP I swapped to RealUI because (to me) its sexy and streamlined.
    I like the overall style of that but I think the placement is shit I cant stand everything up by my char and the distance the player and target frames are from eacher
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the overall style of that but I think the placement is shit I cant stand everything up by my char and the distance the player and target frames are from eacher
    You can easily adjust all positions in-game.

Try one of these:

Altz UI

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Houyi View Post
    yes you can.

Well, maybe YOU cant, but others can.

I did not say all addons are a crutch, or that I dont use any, please re-read. I say a minimal number. (also< I did say healers can work with just macros, the default raid frames are actually acceptable now if not great).

but I've raided games much much harder than wow, with no addons, I've raided wow with no addons. can be done.

YOU may need them to min/max, dont assume I do. thats just projectign you own weaknesses onto me.
    I didnt say anywhere that I needed them so stop trying to make yourself look better then me and ok fine there are people out there that can do a good job at tracking stuff but I hardly believe you could maintain the same up times between yourself using an addon and not using one

You can easily adjust all positions in-game.
    As much as I sometimes want to play around with UIs I have been using elv for so long I dont think I could lol.
    Last edited by Firatha; 2014-12-01 at 04:00 AM.
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019

Um, well if you were a healer MAYBE I'd understand but honestly as a tank if you have DBM and recount (and even Omen which honestly you don't even need anymore) and they turn you down based on UI then the guilds you're applying to have snobby cliques in them approving the apps.

I did see it once in my old guild where an applicant got refused (and frankly trolled) because they decided based on the SS of his UI that he was a clicker. Which struck me as prejudiced because his logs were all good (and my guildies were unprofessional about it) but that's maybe a borderline case because even as a healer maybe you could say that being a clicker burdens the group since your reaction times will be suboptimal. Still. Silly.

P.S. I use IceHUD over the standard UI, plus Healbot for healing and the usual addons (DBM, Skada etc). So I'd describe my UI as mostly standard. I even know a lot of healers who use Blizzard's raid frames (usually with Clique for click casting), which are quite good these days and honestly more reliable than HB which can be unreliable with some debuffs. There is nothing wrong with standard UI, as long as you have reasonable addons.

- - - Updated - - -

That was a very reasonable objection to the standard UI before they let you move them around. Why that took like 7? years to implement I have no idea.
    Last edited by Mormolyce; 2014-12-01 at 04:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    I didnt say anywhere that I needed them so stop trying to make yourself look better then me and ok fine there are people out there that can do a good job at tracking stuff but I hardly believe you could maintain the same up times between yourself using an addon and not using one
    Ah, so you dont need them? then what you posted before was just bullshit then?

And why not? just a case of keeping track of stuff. not really that hard.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I run a custom UI I think this, like other methods of telling people how to play, are wannabe bullshit. The only thing a good RL really cares about is this - can you do your job to the raid's standards? If you get interrupts, taunt when needed, keep aggro, etc and are playing as well as the other tank then the RL shouldn't give a fuck if you have the default UI, a custom UI of your own or anything else. Good RLs won't care about other stuff. Posers will.

PS: I do understand people having been burned in the past by "I do just fine on the default UI" players who really don't... who do miss interrupts, etc. That's the point of trials, though, especially for tanks and healers.
    Last edited by clevin; 2014-12-01 at 04:15 AM.

"If you aren't using addons to remind you how to play then you're not playing right!"

Get real people.

My first reaction is too much crap in the middle of the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by wregelmann View Post
    "If you aren't using addons to remind you how to play then you're not playing right!"

Get real people.
    I don't think you actually know what add ons do?
    Beta Club Brosquad

If you're too rigid to even consider changing anything about your UI at the request of your guild you're probably too rigid to follow instructions in a raid environment. Using the default UI is basically saying "I'm happy with the absolute minimum required to function in this game" which isn't going to look good to any guild worth joining.

Why would any serious guild want a raider that isn't constantly trying to improve themselves? Optimizing your UI is a huge part of that.

That said, I know lots of excellent players that use the default UI. It's not a reason to reject an application outright, but it is a reason to reject an application you were already doubtful of before you even saw their UI.
    Last edited by Lothrik; 2014-12-01 at 04:27 AM.