Wait... What? Can all pokemon Gigantamax? Is that the reason they can't have the whole dex in the game?

Alcremie is cute. Reminds me of Slurpuff. Maybe I'll assemble a team of deserts.

A Pokemon League Chairman? Inb4 Pokemon doesn't actually explore the logistical challenge of running a Pokemon League and he's actually just the villain.

So does Dynamax change the form of only certain Pokemon, like Alcremie dynamaxing into a cake? Or is that just Alcremie's evolution? Because the other dynamaxed Alcremie was the same as before Dynamaxing.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Wait... What? Can all pokemon Gigantamax? Is that the reason they can't have the whole dex in the game?
    Yeah, I'm scratching my head too. It seems that Dynamaxing and Gigantamaxing just buff a Pokemon's stats and make them big, except one changes the Pokemon's form. Why have the two systems? Why not just have one?

If every every Pokemon has a new Gigantamax form, then I can see that being more work on the 3D artists but it doesn't look they use different animations. If the national dex was sacrificed for this...

10+ Year Old Account
    Every mon can Dynamax, but just a few can Gigantamax and change forms... This is what we lost Mega Evolution to folks...

Quote Originally Posted by Nelavar View Post
    Every mon can Dynamax, but just a few can Gigantamax and change forms... This is what we lost Mega Evolution to folks...
    It's probably just more balanced Mega Evolutions.

Honestly, I liked Mega Evolutions but it was really pandora's box that shouldn't have been opened. Too much "But my favorite *insert obscure pokemon here* can't mega evolve! And I don't like any of the ones who can!".

Granted, I wish they'd just drop this whole attempt to add new flashy things to battles. I just want a straight up battle, don't care for any maxing.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Alcremie is cute. Reminds me of Slurpuff. Maybe I'll assemble a team of deserts.

A Pokemon League Chairman? Inb4 Pokemon doesn't actually explore the logistical challenge of running a Pokemon League and he's actually just the villain.

So does Dynamax change the form of only certain Pokemon, like Alcremie dynamaxing into a cake? Or is that just Alcremie's evolution? Because the other dynamaxed Alcremie was the same as before Dynamaxing.

Yeah, I'm scratching my head too. It seems that Dynamaxing and Gigantamaxing just buff a Pokemon's stats and make them big, except one changes the Pokemon's form. Why have the two systems? Why not just have one?

If every every Pokemon has a new Gigantamax form, then I can see that being more work on the 3D artists but it doesn't look they use different animations. If the national dex was sacrificed for this...
    Only Few Pokémon have Gigantamax forms. And even among those few species only few special inviduals can Gigantamax.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Honestly, I liked Mega Evolutions but it was really pandora's box that shouldn't have been opened. Too much "But my favorite *insert obscure pokemon here* can't mega evolve! And I don't like any of the ones who can!".
    It started before megas, with Gen 4, when 20% of the new Pokemon were evolutions for Gen 1-3 Pokemon. It was one of the best things about Gen 4. My problem with Megas is that they were temporary, and they came at the expense of having more new Pokemon. Gen 4 gave us 130 new Pokemon while XY only gave us 70. They must've figured "well, they'll be satisfied if we just give them megas of their favorites so we don't have to work as hard to implement a full gen of 150 new mons". Reimaginings of Pokemon as in Gen 7 were also a great idea, if only they hadn't supplanted us getting new evolutions for old Pokemon and weren't restricted to Kanto Pokemon.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's probably just more balanced Mega Evolutions.

Granted, I wish they'd just drop this whole attempt to add new flashy things to battles. I just want a straight up battle, don't care for any maxing.
    But Gigantamax has the exact same dilemma of "muh favourite". I can see an argument for Dynamax being better than megas cause now everyone can power up during battle but with Gigantamax now on top of that, they just reintroduce the very problem they were trying to fix. It just all seems so very pointless.
    Last edited by Nelavar; 2019-07-09 at 12:05 AM.

Maybe Nintendo/Game Freak/whoever should stop dropping nuggets of information in trailers and just release all the information about how a new feature works all at once even if that leads to things not getting announced until later.

It would certainly reduce the hype -> disappointment roller coaster a lot of people are going through...

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    It started before megas, with Gen 4, when 20% of the new Pokemon were evolutions for Gen 1-3 Pokemon. It was one of the best things about Gen 4. My problem with Megas is that they were temporary, and they came at the expense of having more new Pokemon. Gen 4 gave us 130 new Pokemon while XY only gave us 70. They must've figured "well, they'll be satisfied if we just give them megas of their favorites so we don't have to work as hard to implement a full gen of 150 new mons". Reimaginings of Pokemon as in Gen 7 were also a great idea, if only they hadn't supplanted us getting new evolutions for old Pokemon and weren't restricted to Kanto Pokemon.
    To be fair, I could see the evolution thing because some pokemon in those gens were just dead ends because they didn't evolve and weren't worth using. It's still weird to have pokemon that don't even evolve once to me, and they're the vast minority in the game. Maybe Mega evolutions would have done better if they were just stuck to single stage pokemon, like Aerodactyl.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelavar View Post
    But Gigantamax has the exact same dilemma of "muh favourite". I can see an argument for Dynamax being better than megas cause now everyone can power up during battle but with Gigantamax now on top of that, they just reintroduce the very problem they were trying to fix. It just all seems so very pointless.
    I don't disagree, that's why I said it was like Pandora's box and I'd rather they just dropped it. Z moves were a good step forward, and Dynamax would have been alright.

I'd just rather it all be dropped though.

Reminder than Game Freak doesn't care and would rather be doing anything else if it could finance the company:

There are two different production teams here, simply named Production Team 1 and Production Team 2. Team 1 is fully dedicated to Gear Project, while Team 2 is for the Pokémon operation. What that means is that Game Freak is a company is prioritising Gear Project, which is production team number one, more than Pokémon in general.
    Sauce: https://www.videogameschronicle.com/...-than-pokemon/

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Reminder than Game Freak doesn't care and would rather be doing anything else if it could finance the company:

Aka we're gonna use pokemon IP to piggy bank other ideas we would rather work on because we're sick of drawing different sheep.

Whoever owns the pokemon IP needs to move it to a different developer with fresh ideas and who doesnt take it for granted.

Uh what.

That's twisting their words and you know it.

Having multiple teams isn't abnormal. Hell Blizzard has several teams themselves as an example.

And they already have a lot of experience in making Pokemon games, I'm not surprised they'd be putting a priority on their leap into uncharted territory. For the blizzard comparison again, I'm sure overwatchs development was a higher priority than other teams for a while, but that doesn't mean they'd "rather be making anything other than WoW"

Uh what.

That's twisting their words and you know it.

Having multiple teams isn't abnormal. Hell Blizzard has several teams themselves as an example.

And they already have a lot of experience in making Pokemon games, I'm not surprised they'd be putting a priority on their leap into uncharted territory. For the blizzard comparison again, I'm sure overwatchs development was a higher priority than other teams for a while, but that doesn't mean they'd "rather be making anything other than WoW"
    They have their better people working on other projects they actually care about. B-team does Pokémon to pay the bills. Their top questions when interviewing new employees is "What non-Pokémon game would you create?"

Churning out Pokémon is literal burger flipping for them at this point. And can't really blame the veterans, after 20 years doing anything else should sound more enticing.

Pokémon needs new developer who cares enough to innovate and make good games.

Welp.

-Can't remove joycons
    -No sensor
    -No HD rumble
    -Cannot dock/connect to a TV
    -Has a D pad on the left
    -Compact controls
    -Will not play the entire switch library

Not for me, i have a Vita for on the go and the switch always feels like the 'please rob me' billboard console in public. Hope the d pad comes to a regular joy con release but beyond that this feels like a 2DS or GBAmicro type thing for kids i have no major interest in.

Wierd they keep picking 'brutalist, corporate building grey' as a colour option. Maybe they think that appeals to adults or something?
    Last edited by dope_danny; 2019-07-10 at 12:35 PM.

I'm actually thinking of picking it up as a second unit, to take with me to work. I mainly play handheld already, so if it runs no worse than current one, it might even become my main unit.

^And yes I'm the corporate grey kind of guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Now instead of being pissed off at four people at a time, I can be pissed off at TWENTY FOUR people at a time. That's called efficiency, my little enchiladas.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    -Will not play the entire switch library
    Why is this even a thing then?

10+ Year Old Account
    Does it at least have a better battery life?

Why is this even a thing then?
    It is the 2DS of Switch line. Cheaper, solid block of plastic aimed for kids.

As for "not playing all games" so far I know only two games which wouldn't play on it without extra JoyCons: Super Mario Party and 1-2 Switch.

Every game with regular control scheme still works.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Does it at least have a better battery life?
    Slightly. Official site uses BotW as an example: regular Switch gives 3 hours of handheld BotW, Lite 4 hours.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is the 2DS of Switch line. Cheaper, solid block of plastic aimed for kids.

As for "not playing all games" so far I know only two games which wouldn't play on it without extra JoyCons: Super Mario Party and 1-2 Switch.

Every game with regular control scheme still works.

- - - Updated - - -

Slightly. The official site uses BotW as an example: regular Switch gives 3 hours of handheld BotW, Lite 4 hours.
    They really should have upped it a bit more but meh. Apparently, you cant adjust the brightness.

- - - Updated - - -

You just know they are going to release a small docl/dongle to make it tv compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post

- - - Updated - - -

You just know they are going to release a small docl/dongle to make it tv compatible.
    They just did reveal announcement that this wouldn't connect to TV. Official specs page says it won't connect to TV.

Their answer for people who want to connect to TV is to get regular Switch.