High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keltas View Post
    Alright, I guess I'll wait until I see it on sale, or just pass on it then. Sounds like it's not really what I'm looking for right now.
    The side quests and blade affinities easily gets you another 70hours also, the cutscenes are longer between chapters and then the actual chapters have shorter ones moving the story along.

Alright, I guess I'll wait until I see it on sale, or just pass on it then. Sounds like it's not really what I'm looking for right now.
    Not sure what you're looking for tbh.

If you want to play an RPG long periods of story telling kind of come with the genre, unless it's a shitty bethesda "story".

Also true open world is literally so rare in JRPGs that only FFXV and XCX can make claim to having one in the genre. That doesn't make XC2 some linear game because it's not open world... it still has very large levels with lots of side content. They just aren't connected directly.

XC2 may very well not be the game for you but I don't think the game you want, in some open world rpg with almost no strong story elements exists outside of MMOs and Bethesda games I guess.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2018-03-19 at 07:14 AM.

Someone told me xenoblade 2 is mostly cutscenes / "like watching an interactive movie" rather than an open world rpg. Is there any truth to this? I've been eyeing it awhile but held off after odyssey ended up being boring to me. I'm really looking for a good rpg right now to sink a week or two into.
    were you big into rpgs during the ps2 era? if you were then i suggest picking it up, yeah theres alot of cutscenes but it kind of flows together nicely.

it feels very much like playing a ps2 game, like if kingdom hearts and world of warcraft had a baby but also everybody wants to fuck.

my nephew loves it, says its his new favorite switch game.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Not sure what you're looking for tbh.

If you want to play an RPG long periods of story telling kind of come with the genre, unless it's a shitty bethesda "story".

Also true open world is literally so rare in JRPGs that only FFXV and XCX can make claim to having one in the genre. That doesn't make XC2 some linear game because it's not open world... it still has very large levels with lots of side content. They just aren't connected directly.

XC2 may very well not be the game for you but I don't think the game you want, in some open world rpg with almost no strong story elements exists outside of MMOs and Bethesda games I guess.
    I'm not really sure what I want, but I did definitely read what you wrote wrong then. I took it as it was linear.

I still might try it, just that I kinda want something I can just sit down and play and not sit through cutscenes constantly. I still enjoy story and like a good one. Cutscenes lately have just kinda been pulling me out of the immersion.

I'm not really sure what I want, but I did definitely read what you wrote wrong then. I took it as it was linear.
    The open world setup is kinda like Witcher 3 if you ever played that. Its not true open world like BOTW/Skyrim but its sections that is big enough to feel open world like them.

Example

And that's the first main zone as you enter it.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Someone told me xenoblade 2 is mostly cutscenes / "like watching an interactive movie" rather than an open world rpg. Is there any truth to this? I've been eyeing it awhile but held off after odyssey ended up being boring to me. I'm really looking for a good rpg right now to sink a week or two into.
    It can definitely end up feeling that way. There are times where you'll take a 20 second walk across the map and encounter a 15 minute long cut scene, then rinse and repeat.
    Main toon: Priest
    Alts: Rogue, Druid and Paladin plus many, many more.

Quote Originally Posted by Farath View Post
    It can definitely end up feeling that way. There are times where you'll take a 20 second walk across the map and encounter a 15 minute long cut scene, then rinse and repeat.
    That's really only true for the start of the game in which cutscenes seem long because the game is trying to establish it's story and tutorials.

In truth it's cutscenes are as plentiful as any other jrpg.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

i just feel nostalgic when i play xenoblade. is the first one and x like this? x seems a littlle more edgelordy.

feels like im 13 again playing my ps2
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

There is nothing edgelordy about X, 1 and 2 have more of that tbh. X doesn't have much of a main story but just has a lot of world building. It feels like what a Xenoblade MMO should be, without actually being an MMO(it does have monster hunter style coop though).

X should be ported to the Switch just because it's such a wildly different experience to 2 despite both carrying the same name.

There is nothing edgelordy about X, 1 and 2 have more of that tbh. X doesn't have much of a main story but just has a lot of world building. It feels like what a Xenoblade MMO should be, without actually being an MMO(it does have monster hunter style coop though).

X should be ported to the Switch just because it's such a wildly different experience to 2 despite both carrying the same name.
    i guess its mostly art style that gives me that edgelordy vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    That's really only true for the start of the game in which cutscenes seem long because the game is trying to establish it's story and tutorials.

In truth it's cutscenes are as plentiful as any other jrpg.
    Sorry, but it happens in literally every chapter through the game.

Sorry, but it happens in literally every chapter through the game.
    What game did you play? There is literally 15 real time hours of cutscenes in the game. Most players take 70-100 hours to beat it. Basic math alone says the vast majority of the game is not cut scenes.

Yes there are some long cutscenes, usually at the end/beginning combo of a chapter but it gives you a save option when changing the chapters in the middle of those. There are much longer stretches of gameplay then cutscenes.

It's almost like people expect a narrative focused JRPG to not throw some narrative at you? IDK. I swear I saw people complaining about XCX making the narrative take a backseat to the side stories and world building. People are just going to hate on Monolith no matter what they do, meanwhile they will keep making great games.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2018-03-19 at 09:15 PM.

What game did you play? There is literally 15 real time hours of cutscenes in the game. Most players take 70-100 hours to beat it. Basic math alone says the vast majority of the game is not cut scenes.
    I played the exact same game that you did and got a different impression from it. I remember getting extremely annoyed by the game play to cut scene ratio, especially in chapter...8 or 9 I think. I'm also the sort of gamer that blitzes through games, so going from point A to point B without doing much side quest content through out probably didn't help. I mean, I beat the game in 43 hours for instance.

Either way, in my opinion it seemed to be constantly in a state of movie theatre mode.

I played the exact same game that you did and got a different impression from it. I remember getting extremely annoyed by the game play to cut scene ratio, especially in chapter...8 or 9 I think. I'm also the sort of gamer that blitzes through games, so going from point A to point B without doing much side quest content through out probably didn't help. I mean, I beat the game in 43 hours for instance.

Either way, in my opinion it seemed to be constantly in a state of movie theatre mode.
    "I rushed the game and got mad the game rushed it's plot on me".

Even with your ridiculous rushed play through, the cutscenes still didn't even total up 50% of the time. Which means you where playing the game for the majority of it.

FWIW my 15 hours number was generous. Looking at youtube tt's actually closer to 14, and that includes side quest cutscenes you wouldn't have encountered.

Claiming a game like Xenoblade 2 is mostly cutscenes in a world where David Cage lives is laughable as fuck.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2018-03-19 at 09:57 PM.

Claiming a game like Xenoblade 2 is mostly cutscenes in a world where David Cage lives is laughable as fuck.
    Clearly they also have never played a Metal Gear game even more so MGS3 and 4.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Even with your ridiculous rushed play through, the cutscenes still didn't even total up 50% of the time. Which means you where playing the game for the majority of it.

FWIW my 15 hours number was generous. Looking at youtube tt's actually closer to 14, and that includes side quest cutscenes you wouldn't have encountered.

Seriously dude? I'm not saying I didn't enjoy the game. I'm only saying it seemed as though there were often times when you played maybe 10 minutes out of an entire hour.

I also never suggested the game was mostly cut scenes, so stop trying to stick words in my mouth.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Clearly they also have never played a Metal Gear game even more so MGS3 and 4.
    Correct. I hate the look of those games.

Correct. I hate the look of those games.
    Ever play a JRPG ever? because 95% of them are like that.

Ever play a JRPG ever? because 95% of them are like that.
    Yes. I've played many, many JRPG's. To be honest, there was a lot in XC2 which annoyed me during my first play through. To me, the cut scene vs gameplay was only a very small part of it.

The open world setup is kinda like Witcher 3 if you ever played that. Its not true open world like BOTW/Skyrim but its sections that is big enough to feel open world like them.

Example

And that's the first main zone as you enter it.
    Something similar happens when you enter Gaur Plains from the path from Bionis' Knee in the original game:

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    i just feel nostalgic when i play xenoblade. is the first one and x like this? x seems a littlle more edgelordy.

feels like im 13 again playing my ps2
    Is it the feel of the X is Science Fictiony? Is it the realistic looking models?

- - - Updated - - -

https://venturebeat.com/2018/03/18/t...-fighter-fans/

Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection will have exclusive content, a tournament mode in SFII: The New Challengers, which was originally a mode for a set of arcade cabinets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bought DQBuilders last week. Have about 10 hours in it, and having a blast. My only gripe is the semi clunky building controls, and the small test from npcs. I have to get right up on it to even attempt to read it. Controls arent awful, but feel like they could be better.

I wonder how much different 2 is? Oh well, either way ill probably wait till 2 is under 30 dollars to pick it up in a couple years. I think my next buy is going to be Xenoblade in a week or two. Obvious they arent going to fix anything with resolution so I guess ill just play it.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you skip them?