Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotutha View Post
    Other way around. British living abroad cannot vote. Only British who have residency. Not surprising given that those living away want the UK to stay in the EU, If the UK leaves they might have to leave and head home.
    I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have to leave if the UK leaves. Most of them probably fit the criteria to remain where they are :

* Have a job, or are student
    * Own private property (house, company) etc.

Generally that's the criteria in 99% of all countries of the world, to remain there as long as you wish or until special visa expires (ie students).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not quite.

If you're a UK Citizen and have lived outside of the UK for less than 15 years you can still vote. And some non-UK Citizens can vote, but it's restricted to those in the UK who come from Commonwealth countries and the Republic of Ireland.

The BBC is clearer on eligibility http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-32877712
    Well that seems a little more reasonable. I don't have a problem with these restrictions. People who've lived outside the country for 15+ years probably have little stake left in it.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    No, I also have citizenship of another EU country.
    Yeah would you have to drop one?

Just want to see if it would make britain lose citizens which would be funny.

Completely reasonable

I'm actually in favor of the UK leaving the EU.

1, This will finally put an end to all the bitching and moaning.
    2, The Scots can hold another referendum in the next couple of years, especially if the UK leaves the EU, to split from the UK and the EU will than have no practical objections to Scottish independence and they can rejoin the EU. And the Southern English can enjoy their little corner of the Island all for themselves.

Tho realistically it's very very doubtful that will happen. The UK is just using the whole referendum mumbo jumbo to squeeze some concessions out of the EU and to protect the City's interests.

Why does the UK wanna join this EU circle jerk?

Quote Originally Posted by badzerath View Post
    Dunno. Economics and other highly irrelevant shit like that.

They are already in the circle jerk, but some dudes in the UK with very very small weenies got a weenie envy so now they wanna leave the circle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    Yeah would you have to drop one?

Just want to see if it would make britain lose citizens which would be funny.
    No, my British Citizenship and Cypriot Citizenship aren't in any way dependent on each other - I qualify as British four ways (birth, residency, mother and father) and Cypriot one way (father).

Quote Originally Posted by badzerath View Post
    We're already in the EU, it isn't a vote on joining.

Quote Originally Posted by illadanri View Post
    Guess Polish people will have to leave UK after when UK leaves the EU, oh boi, riots inc.
    And the roughly 600.000 Britons living in Spain, only about half registered who are freeloading on the Spanish national healthcare system and social services are also welcome to leave Spain.

This is so profoundly stupid.

A couple of days ago I was talking to a guy in a bar, he was 26, working giving private English classes to Spaniards without a formal contract, paying taxes or anything, giving high and mighty speeches on why the UK should leave the EU 'cuz immigrants and all that...the irony literally stank to the high heavens.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2015-05-25 at 09:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I heard polish communities right now packing their bags and are leaving uk now, wow just wow.
    Considering that it's unlikely we'll even leave, and that the vote isn't for another 8-18 months, and that the Polish aren't being kicked out, that seems profoundly stupid . Almost the level of intellect apparent in those that we wouldn't want here, which is what leaving the EU would stop coming here.

Oh and [citation needed].

- - - Updated - - -

If UK leaves EU, the polish workers will have to leave the country
    A lot won't, and there'd have to be a "grace" period enforced anyway. Like people outside of the EU all they'd have to do is show they have a source of income, a certain amount of money available to them and then some basic grasp of English, then they can get a work permit. These numbers are limited but we don't know whether the number would increase.

This only goes for the low skill workers, the high skill workers don't have such a problem. Plus they probably already speak English.

Even if we voted to leave the EU (which is unlikely) there'd be a significant period of time in which they would be able to stay, it wouldn't be like flicking a switch. Thus, leaving the country today over fears of a referendum for which we don't even have a date for let alone any idea what would happen if we did vote, is stupid. There are quite literally years between today and when anyone deemed "not good enough" would have to go.

Oh and [citation needed]

Edit: Hmm deleted posts. Oh well.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    And the roughly 600.000 Britons living in Spain, only about half registered who are freeloading on the Spanish national healthcare system and social services are also welcome to leave Spain.

This is so profoundly stupid.

A couple of days ago I was talking to a guy in a bar, he was 26, working giving private English classes to Spaniards without a formal contract, paying taxes or anything, giving high and mighty speeches on why the UK should leave the EU 'cuz immigrants and all that...the irony literally stank to the high heavens.
    I went to Ireland with two friends from here in England. They are good people, but fucking idiots when it comes to immigration. They constantly complained about all the Chinese in Dublin, apparently oblivious to the fact that the Irish would take virtually any migrants over the English, probably including Islamic State.

Are there any strong arguments as to why should the rest of the EU care ? If UK wants to be isolated on their islands, it's like, ok ...

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rederoin View Post
    People don't like the EU telling them what to do.
    1 of our biggest parties that is against is on the left, far away from being conservative. Although that is unrelated to immigrants, but the economic policies of the EU.
    I'm really curious what makes you think british politicians are more honest or closer to the people than EU politicians.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    Are there any strong arguments as to why should the rest of the EU care ? If UK wants to be isolated on their islands, it's like, ok ...
    The UK is one of the top three economies in the EU and a net contributor, so there are billions of reasons why the rest of the EU would care. Literally billions.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    I heard labour wants to get 16-17 year olds to vote but Iam not really sure what that would change.
    More easily coaxed morons for easy votes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Undead Puppy View Post
    I'm really curious what makes you think british politicians are more honest or closer to the people than EU politicians.
    Our politicians are mostly morons. Some more than others. Nigel "Satan" Farage even got laughed at the other in the European Parliament, for being one of those idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    More easily coaxed morons for easy votes.
    If they're going to be votes to stay then many wouldn't argue. Problem is that it's quite easy to whip up 16 year olds into a "fuck the outsiders" mentality.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

The UK is one of the top three economies in the EU and a net contributor, so there are billions of reasons why the rest of the EU would care. Literally billions.
    The money coming from EU to the poorer countries is not as important as you may think. The main advantage of EU comes from different things. The negotiation power of the combined states of EU, the free market, stuff like that.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    The money coming from EU to the poorer countries is not as important as you may think. The main advantage of EU comes from different things. The negotiation power of the combined states of EU, the free market, stuff like that.
    I'm pretty sure that the smaller/poorer nations would disagree and having the world's 5th largest economy of 60 million people as a member is a huge plus point in any trade negotiations.

The EU are going to give the UK special concessions to keep us in, do you think they'd do that because they like our fish and chips?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Smart thing to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    Our politicians are mostly morons. Some more than others. Nigel "Satan" Farage even got laughed at the other in the European Parliament, for being one of those idiots.
    I wouldn't say they're mostly morons, self serving hypcritical bastards yes, but we don't have any Palins or Bachmanns.