Thread: Pokemon, Part 2

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I'd prefer for my regional forms to be unique, new spins on old Pokemon, like the Delta Pokemon that the official series' regional forms were based on.

(I'm cherry picking the best Delta Pokemon here. The vast majority of Fakemon designs in fangames are shit) these Deltas are both immediately identifiable as the Pokemon they are based on, as well as identifiable as a new variant with different typing. Different colors and different design, while still being able to clearly be traced back to the original design. The official games would later borrow this methodology when designing regional variants.

The new Hisuian Growlithe shown in the Arceus trailer does not do that. It is not clearly identifiable as a new, unique variant with different typing. It looks like a regular Growlithe that just had its fur stylized, like a Furfrou.
    Those weren't the "delta" pokemon that they based
    They were based on the delta species from the TCG if anything.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Those weren't the "delta" pokemon that they based
    They were based on the delta species from the TCG if anything.
    The delta species in the TCG did not have new designs or colors. They were just the regular designs, but the card said that they had different typings, that was all. The Insurgence team decided "what if these Pokemon were new types in name only, but actually got different designs?" and that's how we go Delta Pokemon in Insurgence. It was then that we got regional formes in the official games using that methodology.

10+ Year Old Account
    The delta species in the TCG did not have new designs or colors. They were just the regular designs, but the card said that they had different typings, that was all. The Insurgence team decided "what if these Pokemon were new types in name only, but actually got different designs?" and that's how we go Delta Pokemon in Insurgence. It was then that we got regional formes in the official games using that methodology.
    Do you really think Gamefreak cares about Insurgence and what it did?
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Do you really think Gamefreak cares about Insurgence and what it did?
    I don't think it's a coincidence that after Insurgence exploded in popularity and became the most popular Pokemon fangame ever, that the very next generation of Pokemon ripped off the defining feature of that fangame. GF was right to do so; regional forms were one of the few things that was universally praised about Gen 7.

One could also say that the implementation of Ride Pokemon in the official games (over hauling around HM slaves) was another feature GF took from Insurgence. There is no way GF was not paying attention to Insurgence, and we know that they were following Pokemon threads on MMO-C (from that video a few years back).

Honestly, I never played Diamond and pearl back in the day and seeing the trailer... Im not tempted to get the remake (and yes i got Ultra moon, and Alpha Sapphire) but this one just doesnt look right to me it seems like a step down plus id prefer a new main stream game.

Also am I the only one who Wishes they would do what they did in Gold and silver? Where you can go to past Regions, Collect there badges and Compute in there pokemon league? I LOVED going back to Kanto after finishing Johoto, seeing how things had changed, Like Blue taking over Virdian Gym after team rockets Defeat

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think it's a coincidence that after Insurgence exploded in popularity and became the most popular Pokemon fangame ever, that the very next generation of Pokemon ripped off the defining feature of that fangame. GF was right to do so; regional forms were one of the few things that was universally praised about Gen 7.

One could also say that the implementation of Ride Pokemon in the official games (over hauling around HM slaves) was another feature GF took from Insurgence. There is no way GF was not paying attention to Insurgence, and we know that they were following Pokemon threads on MMO-C (from that video a few years back).
    Sun and Moon were already in development before Insurgence even released.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Romanthony View Post
    Honestly, I never played Diamond and pearl back in the day and seeing the trailer... Im not tempted to get the remake (and yes i got Ultra moon, and Alpha Sapphire) but this one just doesnt look right to me it seems like a step down plus id prefer a new main stream game.
    If you want to play Sinnoh, play Platinum. The original DP games were really rough and had a lot of slog. Whereas the Hoenn games were good right from the start with Ruby & Sapphire, and did not need a third version to fix them (Emerald was more like the cherry on top of an already great game), Sinnoh pretty much needed Platinum to salvage the games.

Also am I the only one who Wishes they would do what they did in Gold and silver? Where you can go to past Regions, Collect there badges and Compute in there pokemon league? I LOVED going back to Kanto after finishing Johoto, seeing how things had changed, Like Blue taking over Virdian Gym after team rockets Defeat
    Yes. It's a great shame that old regions weren't carried over to the new games. It would have been trivial for BW to include Kanto, Sinnoh, and Johto.

- - - Updated - - -

Sun and Moon were already in development before Insurgence even released.
    So? S&M came out two years after the first Insurgence episode released. GF would've seen the success of Insurgence and would have easily implemented regional forms and ride Pokemon within that time. Creating new sprites is very fast, and ride Pokemon are trivial to program. This wouldn't have required years of planning and dev time to implement.

10+ Year Old Account
    So? S&M came out two years after the first Insurgence episode released. GF would've seen the success of Insurgence and would have easily implemented regional forms and ride Pokemon within that time. Creating new sprites is very fast, and ride Pokemon are trivial to program. This wouldn't have required years of planning and dev time to implement.
    So your evidence is "It could have been caused by this." Do you expect anyone to take that argument seriously?

And extending your logic backwards ... Insurgence only gets popular because of those delta species because the TCG had Delta species that people enjoyed ... meaning the source is the TCG whether you admit that or not, by your own logic.
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2021-08-18 at 11:08 PM.
    –The Sith Code

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    I'm not okay with Skyward Sword being 60 dollars either. Also it isn't most new remakes, it's specifically Nintendo remakes. The Crash Bandicoot remakes were 40 dollars and those were 3 fully remade games in terms of graphics. I don't necessarily think all remakes shouldn't be 60. Some clearly have a lot of work put into them, but considering they outsourced these games to a studio that had previously worked on Pokemon Home of all things, I wouldn't say this qualifies in my opinion.
    I'd say pricing holdover from earlier Pokemon remakes is also a factor. IIRC FRLG/HGSS/ORAS were all full-priced titles for their respective systems, so this just continues that trend. Plus, it just seems like a wise financial decision to price it at full. I'd still take it over the "Full" SWSH experience, which goes for what, 25, 30 more bucks total?

What a shame. It barely looks any different from regular Growlithe. Prior regional forms were clearly distinguishable from the base version, not just a restyling.
    If you look at a full list of regional variants, it really isn't that far off from a number of established regional variants in terms of difference. See also: Galarian Slowpoke, the Alolan Diglett line, arguably Alolan Sandshrew/the Alolan Vulpix line

Quote Originally Posted by Chilela View Post
    If you look at a full list of regional variants, it really isn't that far off from a number of established regional variants in terms of difference. See also: Galarian Slowpoke, the Alolan Diglett line, arguably Alolan Sandshrew/the Alolan Vulpix line
    I can agree that Alolan Diglett and Galarian Slowpoke are near indistinguishable at first glance from the regular versions, and Alolan Dugtrio just looks like a regular Dugtrio but with wigs thrown on top, but the others look pretty immediately different due to their different colorations.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can agree that Alolan Diglett and Galarian Slowpoke are near indistinguishable at first glance from the regular versions, and Alolan Dugtrio just looks like a regular Dugtrio but with wigs thrown on top, but the others look pretty immediately different due to their different colorations.
    So by your own logic, Hisuian Growlithe falls into the pretty immediately different due to their different colorations.

https://legends.pokemon.com/en-us/pokemon/growlithe/

It is far redder and with far different fluff pattern.
    –The Sith Code

3+ Year Old Account
    In Vulpix's case in particular, the coloration difference is really the only major difference between it and the normal form. They're basically identical otherwise, which is why I don't quite put em in the same category as Slowpoke/Diglett. I could see Hisuian Arcanine being more distinguishable from regular Arcanine, akin to how Galarian Slowbro/Slowking are both very distinguishable from their regular forms, but we'll just have to see on that.

Fucking egoidtic to think they'd care about some romhacks.

They are not that important.

i think both games look great gameplaywise, other than the chibi artstyle and 60$ price point (which i mean, nintendo tax at this point it sucks but i doubt its ever gonna change) bdsp look like exactly what i would want from a remake and arceus actually looks like an actual new take on pokemon games a lot of the things they added so far look like stuff ive wanted to see in pokemon for a while.

and that fucking stantler evo?
    stantler was one of my favorite gen 2 pokemon of all time and ive wanted an evo to it ever since playing silver on my old gameboy

i think a lot of you guys have become a little jaded and i mean i can see why the series has been really kind of hit or miss lately with the removal of features and dexit 2.0 something only pokemon fans from gen 3 had to ever deal with but i dont see how you guys arent hyped for this

hell i still havent even finished sword and shield and this is the most excited for pokemon ive been since probably the gen 7 announcement especially with both games releasing only 2 months apart
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    i dont see how you guys arent hyped for this

I do agree that Legends Arceus not being yet another formulaic mainline game is a draw for me, but ultimately I have zero confidence in Game Freak's ability to deliver a fun, quality game. It doesn't look aesthetically appealing to me, and gameplay wise I don't expect it to have much in the way of content or fun challenges. Using the trapeze to hang from the Braviary is interesting, but I fear that I would only get to ride a handful of specifically designated ride Pokemon (that I might not even own), rather than being able to ride on any Pokemon that I own that should be able to be ridden. Summoning a Charizard (or in this case, a Braviary) I don't own to fly isn't as satisfying as using my prized Honchkrow to fly around. Can I surf on my Bibarel or Floatzel? Can I ride across the plains on my Arcanine? Etc. This being GF, I sincerely doubt it. We've also barely seen any combat thus far, and what we have seen doesn't seem to be very fun. For some reason, the trailers have focused on trainer vs Pokemon combat as the trainer dodges out of the way, and has shown barely 2 seconds of what looks to be rather dull Pokemon vs Pokemon combat.

Aside from this shot, nothing about BDSP appeals to me. It's just going to be the same gameplay and content as in Platinum, except possibly executed worse (given how ORAS and Let's Go turned out, but those games were made by Game Freak). The one redeeming factor of BDSP is that it's not being made Game Freak. That said, BDSP still has no hook for me, and the game looks aesthetically worse than the original games. If BDSP had substantially new stuff to bring to the table, such as more regions, or did a BW2 thing where it wasn't just a rehash but we actually got to see what happened to Sinnoh years later, and if the aesthetics were more appealing to me, I might have considered getting it. A fangame or a ROMhack seems more entertaining to me, but at that point I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel and mind as well just do something else besides play Pokemon, and hope for the day when a Pokemon game that does appeal to me comes out to return.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2021-08-23 at 11:06 AM.

idk seems a lot of people like to single out that one screen shot and ignore the ones that look good \

- - - Updated - - -

imagine if everybody just used this ss to talk about botw

like yeah its not state of the art but its not as hideous as you guys make it seem and its definitely still the prettiest mainline game weve ever seen
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    its definitely still the prettiest mainline game weve ever seen
    ... What? It might be highest fidelity GameFreak Pokemon game yet (Pokken was higher fidelity) but the DS games were aesthetically the prettiest.

at first i wasnt a fan of the art style but its really starting to grow on me

- - - Updated - - -

Should I catch up to Pokémon Crystal or skip straight to SD/BP?

Also, why are you guys excited for Shining Diamond/Brilliant Pearl when you know you’re going to hate it for being a “new Pokémon” game?

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    Should I catch up to Pokémon Crystal or skip straight to SD/BP?

Also, why are you guys excited for Shining Diamond/Brilliant Pearl when you know you’re going to hate it for being a “new Pokémon” game?
    Generally view this thread as a self hating thread. They hate Pokemon, yet buy every edition and side game for it.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.