Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    Also, people seem to take pride in being ignorant (especially in the US), so why should fat people be any different?
    You conveniently left out a key point in your article:

"Possible explanations as to why thin people could die earlier include the fact that many thin people smoke and a theory that underweight people are more susceptible to contagious diseases...Shinichi Kuriyama, an associate professor at Tohoku University who led the actual research, warns that 'people won't extend their lives by straining to put weight on.'"

Shaming someone for being fat might not be the solution, but letting them delude themselves into thinking obesity is healthy is also not a solution. Obesity comes with a myriad of health issues, and should be treated as a preventable and curable condition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

Quote Originally Posted by Jochon View Post
    "Fat pride" is not good. The idea that fat people can't change the way they are and should therefore embrace it, is a dangerous idea. No one needs to be fat, and barring a special medical condition; no one needs to snack all day either. And absolutely no one needs to go to McDonald's for breakfast, lunch, or dinner (no one has to go there ever, actually). All it takes to lose weight is self-control, nothing more. If you're obese, you're either eating too much, too often, or both. If you eat the wrong things it speeds up the process.

I am, of course, not saying that fat people shouldn't be proud of themselves or their accomplishments. It's just that they shouldn't be proud of their excess fat. I could see the use of it if crippled people wanted "handicap pride" or something like that, because they're in a situation that they can't change and it could be important for them to have that feeling of unity and togetherness (because it's impossible for the rest of us to fully appreciate their situation). But that doesn't apply to overweight people. They can change themselves, and taking pride in their situation is only going to make matters worse for themselves.

Eating healthy is good for you. It's boring, but it's good for you, and it will make you feel happier and more energized once you get past the boredom. Eating healthy is not necessarily more expensive than eating unhealthy, it actually tends to be much cheaper. If you cook your own food it's quite easy to live on a budget. It's not hard to cook food, it's not hard stick to your budget when you're at the store. It's just boring.

If you're obese, fat or chubby; it's your own fault, because you are lacking discipline. If you have an injury that prevents you from working out don't blame it for your state, just change your diet and restrict it to breakfast, lunch and dinner (and don't eat until you're full, stop eating when you no longer feel hungry). Don't blame society for your situation, don't demand that other people should find you attractive in spite of your form, and know that you should not receive special dispensation from the public for your bad decisions (I.E. bigger seats in movie theatres, buses, air planes, etc.). Your weight is already an unnecessary burden on society.

Maybe your parents were ignorant about what they fed you, and maybe it's their fault that you became overweight. Well, it's still your fault for staying that way, and you are the only one who can fix it.
    I'm confused why people view its horrid to be fat but its ok to do drugs

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thePandamonium View Post
    Eating disorder is a problem, it is a disease.
    I don't think obesity is actually considered a disease.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

If people want to be fat so be it. That is there choice and life to do so. They already pay more due to hearthcare cost and having to go to the hospital more.

Bottom line its no ones business.

Edit: This thread is fat bashing and nothing more.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying
    There's a few. Thyroid conditions are probably the most prevalent. None of them magically defy the laws of thermodynamics, though, they just make it a bit harder to lose.
    "Harder to lose" doesn't mean impossible. It still is a matter of self control.

Promoting unhealthy eating is what the Fda does for a living. Take corn syrup out of everything and see what happens. No we shouldn't encourage eating unhealthy, but last time I checked fat people live longer than the average transgendered person.

So if you're bitching about fat pride... Which probably on happens in Wisconsin but you force people to recognize transgenderism as normal and healthy than you are giant hypocrite.

This is a side effect of socialized medicine, now people can tell you how to live

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Depending on the cut and cooking technique, you really should trim the fat off. Along with any exterior connective tissue. That has nothing to do with health and everything to do with the end result.
    You should add fat to everything, fat is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I'm confused why people view its horrid to be fat but its ok to do drugs
    Depends on the drug user. To extend your comparison, it's ok to eat a bag of chips sometimes, just like it's ok to smoke a joint sometimes. It's when either become excessive, that's no good.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    You should add fat to everything, fat is good for you.
    /wraps butter stick with bacon, breads and fries. Nomnom.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Madokara Mieru View Post
    Wait, there is such thing as fat pride?!
    This reminds me of a Judge Dredd comic where huge fat pride people rolled around on small vehicles n weighed several tons, there was a fat contest n it ended badly if i remember correctly.

Depends on the drug user. To extend your comparison, it's ok to eat a bag of chips sometimes, just like it's ok to smoke a joint sometimes. It's when either become excessive, that's no good.

- - - Updated - - -

/wraps butter stick with bacon, breads and fries. Nomnom.
    The breeding is really the only unhealthy part

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    They already pay more due to hearthcare cost
    Except in a lot of countries they pay close to nothing, taxes pay healthcare. Those taxes are paid by the rest of the population. So yeah, we have the right to be pissed. Same thing goes for smokers.

Can we force them to stop? No. Can we protest and make our opinion known? Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Floopa View Post
    my solutions to the problem are apparently psychotic
    Killing people for being overweight/obese is fucking asinine and the fact that you don't see that goes to show you're either baiting or have mental issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Shibito View Post
    Another fat shaming thread? Did the reddit horde move here?
    except its not really fat shaming :>

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Entitus View Post
    Except in a lot of countries they pay close to nothing, taxes pay healthcare. Those taxes are paid by the rest of the population. So yeah, we have the right to be pissed. Same thing goes for smokers.

Can we force them to stop? No. Can we protest and make our opinion known? Yes.
    That's one of the risk you run when you give too much of your personal autonomy to your government. I look forward to the howls and bleats when the government implements even more unpopular programs and shit.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

15+ Year Old Account
    Am I the only one who's chuckling at all the people defending being fat are a lot of the same people who moan and complain about women every chance they get? The same ones who pretend to be "proud" that they're single.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Am I the only one who's chuckling at all the people defending being fat are a lot of the same people who moan and complain about women every chance they get? The same ones who pretend to be "proud" that they're single.
    Hating fat people is no different than hating black people to me

Hating fat people is no different than hating black people to me
    It's more like hating men who have long hair and wear sandals with socks.

It's more like hating men who have long hair and wear sandals with socks.
    Like bob Marley?

Like bob Marley?
    lol. you're almost as funny as themius <3

Like bob Marley?
    I'm not sure I've ever seen Bob Marley's feet in a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Ugh, people don't know how difficult it can be for some. Either a bad health, a bad time or bad life can bring you to this point as I am. Walking back up the stairs isn't always that easy. People should be happy with their progress of loosing weight, I don't agree with being happy about staying on high weight (but that is where we have our own life, our own choices). I cheer for every kilo that is missing on that god damn digital display.
    Man do I know the feeling, when I was 300lbs I hated looking down to see my gut! Once I started making progress is felt great, but yeah what led me to become that large in my life was a lot of things. People seem to forget to walk a mile in someone else's shoes before you go saying "oh they're just lazy", a lot of people have their reasons for where they are in life. This applies not just to overweight people but anyone.