Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Cool Desktop PC in the apartment? Too ugly!

I'm an avid gamer, mostly console, but I've been playing WoW on-and-off since day 1. Back when I started playing I was living with my parents, had a desktop pc in my room. However, now I'm 30 and living with my girlfriend. I've got my own place, and I find that I'm a lot more picky about the way my apartment interior looks. I mean, for my everyday computer needs I get along just fine with my smartphone, tablet and work laptop.

I still like to play WoW now and again, especially when a new expansion hits. Definitely planning to start playing again for Legion. Occasionally I do break out my desktop pc from storage and set it up, only to put it away again after a few weeks. I just think it's ugly and a waste of space to have a desktop PC stalled out in my apartment. I just can't stand it, and neither does my girlfriend for that matter. Some desktops have a nice design (looking at you, iMac) but they aren't really great for WoW (and they're expensive).

I just bought a house (moving next year) so I might have a spare room to set up as an office, but even then I'd rather just use laptops and tablets as much as possible. I'm even considering a gaming laptop, just so I can put it away when I'm done.

Anyone recognize this feeling? What are your solutions? Is it possible to build a really compact desktop and hide most of it away? Could I use my TV as a screen? Or should I just go for the laptop? Let's discuss!

10+ Year Old Account
    You have an infinite number of different looking cases, at various form factors... Yes, you can build one that fits your housing decoration well. They aren't that different from a DVR/Blu-ray player/Setbox, and these things are all things that you find in a living room.
    I'd vote against "gaming laptops", they're bulky, heavy, ugly, have bad specs, shitty screens mostly and don't last much time at battery. And yes, they overheat throttling bad.
    I don't know which TV you own but it'll work. Depending on the model you'll notice the input lag difference (most basic lcds stand between 20 to 40ms with the enhancers turned off, soap opera (frame interpolation) effect turned off and input labelled as PC).
    Last edited by Artorius; 2015-08-11 at 07:03 PM.

You could build your desktop in a way that doesn't waste that much space.

This is just an example, but with a small case like this: http://novoatalho.pt/ProductDetails....roductid=25260
    you can store it when not in use, won't use that much space, you can use the tv and will have better performance than a gaming laptop.
    It's almost like a media center, put a wireless keyboard/mouse combo, wireless controller, plug it to the tv and you're set to have fun with a desktop, using minimal space @home.
    Just need to have a mobo/gpu that fits.
    Like artorius said, gaming laptops are not advised, they tend to get hot, overpriced for the performance they achieve, small screen, no upgrade path. They have portability on their side, but that's it.

edit: linked that case because I like the design, shape (has a handle for transportation), color combinations ( http://www.computershopper.com/var/e...eshow_main.jpg the white one looks awesome imo).
    Last edited by WarBringerPT; 2015-08-11 at 11:38 AM.

As Artorius said, there are plenty of design cases and monitors out there. But if you want to hide the case, you need to make sure you have ventilation for the components still. As to hiding everything else, it depends on the table it sits on. It's impossible to hide cables on a glass table, but it's quite easy on everything else as long as you are willing to screw some brackets in for them to nicely go along the edges and won't hang to the side etc. Then it's just up to get a decently looking mouse+keyboard and you are done, additionally you can buy headphones to hide them when not gaming rather than have speakers on the desk.

As to just gaming on a TV, it is possible, but rarely something recommended due to the poor gaming performance of your average TV.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    As Artorius said, there are plenty of design cases and monitors out there. But if you want to hide the case, you need to make sure you have ventilation for the components still. As to hiding everything else, it depends on the table it sits on. It's impossible to hide cables on a glass table, but it's quite easy on everything else as long as you are willing to screw some brackets in for them to nicely go along the edges and won't hang to the side etc. Then it's just up to get a decently looking mouse+keyboard and you are done, additionally you can buy headphones to hide them when not gaming rather than have speakers on the desk.

As to just gaming on a TV, it is possible, but rarely something recommended due to the poor gaming performance of your average TV.
    Can always go wireless. - the power and video cable. wireless headset, kb/mouse, controller, wireless router (or get a powerline)

Deleted
    buy a bigger house?

Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    buy a bigger house?
    Did you read op's post? He just did (moving next year).
    Point of the thread:
    "I just bought a house (moving next year) so I might have a spare room to set up as an office, but even then I'd rather just use laptops and tablets as much as possible. I'm even considering a gaming laptop, just so I can put it away when I'm done.

Anyone recognize this feeling? What are your solutions? Is it possible to build a really compact desktop and hide most of it away? Could I use my TV as a screen? Or should I just go for the laptop? Let's discuss!"

Deleted
    if he bought a bigger house then he could keep his pc in it and live next door.

You can Always build something like this

on a more serious note silverstone has some nice cases you could check those out

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    You can Always build something like this

on a more serious note silverstone has some nice cases you could check those out
    *cant' stop looking, wanting desire intensifies

If these guys are that irritated by a inconspicuous box of electronics standing around somewhere in a corner, imagine what their place looks like. Must be a totally relaxing environment!

Deleted
    I had your same problem, always wanted to game in the living room but my main desktop was upstairs. I eliminated the problem once and for all by divorcing, now my gaming desktop sits in the living room with two monitors and it's just glorious. If you can't get a divorce, what about in-home streaming with Steam? You can set up your gaming rig in the office and just add a smaller, tucked away pc like a NUC to stream, be it on the TV or a dedicated monitor. In this case you only have to buy a stylish monitor, mouse and keyboard and you're good to go.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think he wants to use the TV, guys... The whole point is to be minimalistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    I think he wants to use the TV, guys... The whole point is to be minimalistic.
    My suggestion is minimalistic. What he wants is a mediacenter if he rly wants to use the tv. small case, pleasant design, tuck away near tv, enjoy.

OP didnt say what type of games he's playing/ planning on playing, at what kind of settings ("ultra" 1080p/4k or "low" settings 1080p).

I think you would do well to research the market. there are a lot of really minimal, attractively/adult designed compact desktop cases out there that you can use.

That said, you can pick up a pretty decent asus or lenovo gaming laptop for around $1000 right now. it will be powerful enough to run witcher or eso or wow no problem. and like you said, you can put it away when you're done.

Well if you want something that is worth looking at.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-265-_-Product

Not necessarily to everyone's taste, but if you like art deco/modern design. It is a really nice show piece.

Mind you it's a terrible case in virtually every other respect and it's huge.

This one isn't small, but it's definitely not ugly. For what it is, this is by all accounts a fairly decent case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-014-_-Product

Another modern art case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811108469

Some other possibilities.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811112465

As the bear said there are also a substantial number of nice small cases out there if you want something more A/V component-ish.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think these things are pretty minimal:

Thing 1
    Thing 2
    Thing 3
    Thing 4
    Thing 5

Some seem cheap, while others don't. But since we don't know price point I'm just throwing ideas.

The wooden one in particular could look great depending on the rest of your living room.

Well like I said, silverstone has some nice cases, some of which you can fit in a Hi-Fi rack or something like

This is a real small one but there are some a tad bigger they don't look very intrusive

10+ Year Old Account
    Case maybe like this and stick an R9 Nano into it. Granted that may be a bit overkill.
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/fractal...-fdcanode304bl

If you got some money to spend.. Something like a Fractal Design Node 605 might be worth looking at if you want a PC in your living room. It does fit a full size ATX board, has pretty good cooling, although if you want a DVD/Bluray player, you need to go with mATX motherboard. Most importantly though you can fit pretty much any lenght GPU in it and because it's well ventilated, it doesn't have to sound like a hoover when gaming. It isn't small though, so you might need room to put it in, even when it looks pretty darn decent.