Thread: Glue traps

Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account

Glue traps

I recently moved into a new house that I'm renting but I hear mice at night I was gifted some glue traps but I hear those are cruel to use. They were free and free is always good. Any thoughts on glue traps? Cruel or no?

You can live trap them if you want, take them over to the neighbors.

I think the old snap traps are the most humane, quick and painless.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    I recently moved into a new house that I'm renting but I hear mice at night I was gifted some glue traps but I hear those are cruel to use. They were free and free is always good. Any thoughts on glue traps? Cruel or no?
    I'd say a bit cruel.

Besides, no reason not to use this, which works brilliantly and kills quickly:

I used one of those the only time I ever knew about a mouse/rat in my apartment. Worked the very first night. Peanut butter bait. Apparently it caused a fountain of blood, but I never saw it, since my roommate took care of it while I was at work.

Of course now I have a cat, rendering the whole thing moot. No rat would be crazy enough to come into my apartment. Even the roaches tend to stay away.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    this won't be a popular opinion. GLUE TRAPS ALL THE WAY.

Glue traps are fucking AWFUL.

Years ago when I worked at a Subway, we had a rat problem (because of course a shitty subway with a dickpunch owner has a rat problem). The manager decided to use glue traps because they are cheap.

They are the worst thing that has ever happened to pest control. Rats will literally chew their own legs off on the trap to escape. And then we would open the store in the morning to find a rat missing at least one limb huddled in a corner at the end of a trail of blood. It was terrible. They didn't always die from blood loss, and the SPCA/vet won't take rats in for obvious reasons... the only solution was to stick them in a plastic bag and gas them with gar exhaust.

Glue traps should be outlawed. There's a reason you got them for free. They are horrific and cruel.
    Last edited by Nefarious Tea; 2016-01-27 at 11:38 PM.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

10+ Year Old Account
    If it is a matter of economics and it's all you have use them, however if you have access to better more economical and effective traps use those. They are rodents, and invading where you live, removing them isn't about cruelty if you are looking out for the safety of you and your family.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

If they work as intended they are supposed to suffocate the mouse, but it all depends on how they get on it, we had one get his leg stuck, and it wasn't easy to remove him, I'm not a fan of them. You'd probably be better with the snap traps, but again it comes down to if they work as intended. There are also some heavy duty ones called T Rex mouse traps that look like a dinos head. We had them for rodent escapes in the pet store I ran.

I use glue traps. Pour a little bit of Doctor Pepper on them so the soda becomes real tacky, they can't resist. Works like a charm.
    The future belongs not to those who wait...

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

You can live trap them if you want, take them over to the neighbors.

I think the old snap traps are the most humane, quick and painless.
    Don't want to release potentially diseased mouse into the wild. Need them dead.

I did a mouse feed trap. Can't use the spring ones since I have cats. Glue traps are cruel though. Used one once, but I killed the mouse after it got caught.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    I did a mouse feed trap. Can't use the spring ones since I have cats. Glue traps are cruel though. Used one once, but I killed the mouse after it got caught.
    Your cat doesn't take care of the mice? Tell them to stop sleeping on the job!
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    this won't be a popular opinion. GLUE TRAPS ALL THE WAY.
    But nature always gives quick and painless deaths to mice!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    She does, but the mice are not always within a good place for them to get ahold of them. That and for what ever reason she will catch them, but wont kill them. Usually I had to take them from her.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    This, so much. Unless your cat is one of those weird ones that doesn't have the Mouser trait they will keep your place mouse free and probably save you a bit on feeding them.

Mine can't even see a toy mouse without annihilating it, best cat ever.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    If it is a matter of economics and it's all you have use them, however if you have access to better more economical and effective traps use those. They are rodents, and invading where you live, removing them isn't about cruelty if you are looking out for the safety of you and your family.
    A man who is cruel to animals is cruel to his fellow man. Thank you for making it plainly obvious you're a psychopath.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

10+ Year Old Account
    Glue traps are horrible.

You're forcing animals to die in fear trying frantically to chew off their own limbs to escape rather than giving them a painless end or just live trapping them.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Veredyn View Post
    A man who is cruel to animals is cruel to his fellow man. Thank you for making it plainly obvious you're a psychopath.
    You're welcome because if another man breaks into my home bringing disease, and death, I wouldn't hesitate to do much worse than a glue trap.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    I have used glue traps for mice. I would always free them with some olive oil, put them into a ventilated jar, and release them into the wild miles from my house.

I have found that the live traps do not work well; mice very rarely will go into them.

Edit: I see a lot of mentions of chewed off limbs. Rats might do this, but I have never witnessed this with mice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    You're welcome because if another man breaks into my home bringing disease, and death, I wouldn't hesitate to do much worse than a glue trap.
    For which you would go to jail, because animals don't know that it's your home or that they're "bringing in disease and death."

Basically if a kid with a communicable disease came into your house accidentally, instead of shooing him out or even killing him humanely, you'd torture him to death.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    I have used glue traps for mice. I would always free them with some olive oil, put them into a ventilated jar, and release them into the wild miles from my house.

I have found that the live traps do not work well; mice very rarely will go into them.

Edit: I see a lot of mentions of chewed off limbs. Rats might do this, but I have never witnessed this with mice.
    People that set glue traps usually don't check back on them until the animals are dead/have chewed off their limbs and died elsewhere. It's commendable that you released them, but honestly it's more humane so squash a mouse with your boot than it is to use a glue trap on one.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    She does, but the mice are not always within a good place for them to get ahold of them. That and for what ever reason she will catch them, but wont kill them. Usually I had to take them from her.
    As far as my experience tells me (from having a cat) cats rarely kill mice, most of mice deaths I have seen were accidental while she was playing with it, or because they want to give it to you as a present ( they kill it and drop it near you ) now kittens !!! ... those will execute anything near them.

Or maybe it is because I live in a ranch and she prefers to hunt for bunnies, who knows