Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

Post Help me build my gaming computer :)

Here is a link to my amazon wish list(not asking for donations lol) so you can see the items I plan to use:

http://amzn.com/w/1ECHXGWNS1PDH

I want to build about a $2000 gaming PC and also buy a 4k monitor and I'm really flexible on the monitor because they last so long, thinking about a $1200 predator 4k one.

I would appreciate any recommendations or advice on my equipment. I'm trying to buy something that won't be obsolete in the next few years and is just an overall BADASS computer

- - - Updated - - -

This would be my second computer build, I still consider myself a noob when it comes to this stuff but I'm always doing my research and trying to learn! Thanks guys

System looks solid, but is gaming the only thing you'll be using it for? X99 and i7 are not needed at all for gaming and will not help to future-proof you or really make the system last longer at all. X99 is also a dead platform. There will be no more CPUs for it. If you went with a Skylake i5, performance would be near identical(maybe a slight edge to the i5 honestly) and if a part fails down the road, replacement parts will be more accessible and there is a better chance of there being a CPU upgrade that will work with the motherboard.

If you do any sort of video/audio work, that advice goes out the window and you should absolutely get X99 as the hyperthreading and additional cores will be extremely helpful.

Also, and this is kind of personal preference here, but I would not go with a AIO water cooler. Today's better air coolers actually compete very well with them, performing similarly or better, while being quieter. If you want liquid cooling, go for a custom loop.

Kinda curious as to what CPU you currently have as well, before I make any recommendations on what you should get. If you have an i5-2500k or newer CPU, there is really no reason to upgrade your CPU. Also curious as to what videocard you have as the next gen is coming out very soon and if you can use what you have until then, you'll get much more bang for your buck.

Full badassery mode:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($351.98 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 99.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($119.72 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Asus X99-A/USB 3.1 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($249.88 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($139.90 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($139.90 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($282.59 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card ($638.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe ATX Full Tower Case ($159.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
    Monitor: Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q 144Hz 27.0" Monitor ($649.99 @ Amazon)
    Other: LED Strip ($24.99)
    Total: $2887.92
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-30 17:58 EDT-0400

You wanna stick with ~2400 memory on x99 if you go much faster it limits the OC of the CPU. And yes 32 gigs is overkill, but filling 8 slots with dominators looks soooo good.

This is what this case looks like with LED strip added:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVEOn1twkYQ#t=10m17s

Picked a 1440p 144hz monitor, makes more sense today.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2016-03-30 at 09:59 PM.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    The current computer I have is trash, amd 8 core 8350 cpu, and the gpu just clocked out(died) a week ago, which is why i'm rebuilding. I got my first computer as a gift so only thing i'll be salvaging from it is the monitor. Also, I'm just gaming on the computer, no video/audio work. so if you could make changes to my current build and pick a cpu (i5 skylake with corresponding motherboard) I would greatly appreciate it!

- - - Updated - - -

can you make changes to this build to have it with i5 skylake and a motherboard for it? This build looks awesome and I'm ready to press the "check out" button on Amazon

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Full badassery mode:

CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 99.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($119.72 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Asus X99-A/USB 3.1 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($249.88 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($282.59 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card ($638.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe ATX Full Tower Case ($159.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
    Monitor: Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q 144Hz 27.0" Monitor ($649.99 @ Amazon)
    Other: LED Strip ($24.99)
    Total: $2887.92
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-30 17:58 EDT-0400

You wanna stick with ~2400 memory on x99 if you go much faster it limits the OC of the CPU. And yes 32 gigs is overkill, but filling 8 slots with dominators looks soooo good.

This is what this case looks like with LED strip added:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVEOn1twkYQ#t=10m17s

Picked a 1440p 144hz monitor, makes more sense today.
    can you make changes to this build to have it with i5 skylake and a motherboard for it? This build looks awesome and I'm ready to press the "check out" button on Amazon
    Last edited by apdc05; 2016-03-30 at 10:46 PM.

Trust me my man you really want this CPU. It should be more future proof in the years to come given that it has 8 more CPU cores.

If ya got any questions feel free to ask!

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Trust me my man you really want this CPU. It should be more future proof in the years to come given that it has 8 more CPU cores.

Ok Fascinate, I'm going exactly with your complete build recommendations! Are you Positive I'll be good to go with each piece you've recommended and that each piece is high tier quality and that I'll wanna come back on this forum to kiss you?! ������ Feel free to make ANY changes, I won't mind spending a few extra bucks if anything could be slightly better on your list. ( I'm buying this all tonight when i get back from the movies, going to watch the new batman v superman movie ☺) I hope you'll respond by then! Thanks again for all your help!! I appreciate it!!

Ya these parts are exactly what i would use in my own system (except id get a black case, but i saw you picked out a white case in your build). I do admit the white with LED's looks terrific on the phanteks, i may even change my mind lol.

The only thing i can think of is i picked a mid range motherboard. You could always get the pro or deluxe versions, open the pics on neweggs site and look at the outputs on the back panel to see how many usb they have and if thats enough for you:

Pro
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-517-_-Product

Deluxe
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-506-_-Product

-A:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-516-_-Product

Also here is an install guide/review on the CPU cooler into the phanteks case.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbSI1h8oJ60

CPU cooler installs are usually the "hardest" (nothing is really hard with PC builds just take your time) in a build, guides like this can be helpful. The best bit of advice i can give is buy a screwdriver with a magnetic tip : )

Feel free if ya got anymore questions.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2016-03-31 at 01:37 AM.

It's quite misfortunate that your GPU died on you as all of the current GPUs aren't really that good compared to what should be just around the corner.. Hence why I would recommend getting something like a GTX950 which you could resell when new cards pop up on the market.

What comes to the CPU, it will probably be good enough for quite some time. Ofc it can change if AMD gives Intel actual run for it's money with Zen, but that is too early to tell. I'd personally still go with a 6600k as there really isn't any real chance of any dev making a game unplayable on a modern i5.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ya these parts are exactly what i would use in my own system (except id get a black case, but i saw you picked out a white case in your build). I do admit the white with LED's looks terrific on the phanteks, i may even change my mind lol.

The only thing i can think of is i picked a mid range motherboard. You could always get the pro or deluxe versions, open the pics on neweggs site and look at the outputs on the back panel to see how many usb they have and if thats enough for you:

Pro

Deluxe

-A:

CPU cooler installs are usually the "hardest" (nothing is really hard with PC builds just take your time) in a build, guides like this can be helpful. The best bit of advice i can give is buy a screwdriver with a magnetic tip : )

Oh, by the way, are the x99 gonna be a dead end like the guy above said?

No lol, tbh not sure why these people are saying to buy an i5 in a 2k+ gaming rig. The truth is that the 6600k will be slightly faster in games (very slight) but you asked to have a system that wouldn't be outdated in a few years, by going x99 and a 12 core CPU you are guarding yourself against that as much as possible.

DX12 is coming to games within the next 2 years, no one knows for sure yet but its very possible games will be able to make use of more CPU cores, having 12 vs 4 on the 6600k is just the smart choice imo, especially with a budget of 2k+.

Deleted
    IF you game only the X99 platform isn't for you. There is a debate that its cheap enough atm in US that is worth going over an 1151 i7. But if you have no use for the extra cores, which you don't for gaming, then an i5 6600 or even i7 6700k is "more futureproof". Also don't waste money on this that will give you no performance gains other than say case looks.

I would say we are not exactly there for 4k gaming. There is also new gpu's coming out in the following months that will be far better than current ones. If you are going to drop that much cash i'd grab a cheap gtx950 for now and go for the big dogs in Autumn when they are out. Also buy the monitor then too cause prices on those go down all the time. Another option that you can go now is ultrawide 3440x1440p, i find it better atm with a 980ti. As for the rest of the rig:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($348.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($107.99 @ Best Buy)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Micro Center)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($148.89 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.75 @ OutletPC)
    Case: NZXT Noctis 450 ATX Mid Tower Case ($136.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($86.86 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1221.44
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-31 02:53 EDT-0400

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

Oh, why do you say 8 cores when the title of the cpu says 6 cores? Is that something different?

Quote Originally Posted by apdc05 View Post
    Oh, why do you say 8 cores when the title of the cpu says 6 cores? Is that something different?

It has 6 physical cores and 6 logical cores called hyperthreading. The core i5 is just 4 physical cores, no hyperthreading. Core i7's are i5's with hyperthreading so they have 8 total cores.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    IF you game only the X99 platform isn't for you. There is a debate that its cheap enough atm in US that is worth going over an 1151 i7. But if you have no use for the extra cores, which you don't for gaming, then an i5 6600 or even i7 6700k is "more futureproof". Also don't waste money on this that will give you no performance gains other than say case looks.

I would say we are not exactly there for 4k gaming. There is also new gpu's coming out in the following months that will be far better than current ones. If you are going to drop that much cash i'd grab a cheap gtx950 for now and go for the big dogs in Autumn when they are out. Also buy the monitor then too cause prices on those go down all the time. Another option that you can go now is ultrawide 3440x1440p, i find it better atm with a 980ti. As for the rest of the rig:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($348.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($107.99 @ Best Buy)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Micro Center)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($148.89 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.75 @ OutletPC)
    Case: NZXT Noctis 450 ATX Mid Tower Case ($136.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($86.86 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1221.44
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-31 02:53 EDT-0400
    I want to spend more though to be prepared for the future. As for the GPUs coming out later on this year, I'll resell the one I buy to help get some money back. With this said, would you agree with Fascinates build recommendations? If not, what would you change? I'm planning on buying it either in the next hour or early tomorrow morning. Your help is appreciated, thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

It has 6 physical cores and 6 logical cores called hyperthreading. The core i5 is just 4 physical cores, no hyperthreading. Core i7's are i5's with hyperthreading so they have 8 total cores.

I'm reading lots of bad reviews about the asus motherboards, think I should be fine?

- - - Updated - - -

I was hoping you would ask that lol. Yes, asus is the top motherboard manufacturer and these boards have been out for a good long while. Thing is, you really cant trust motherboard reviews, some parts you can but not motherboards. When novices get home and put their systems together and something does not work they get frustrated and write a review claiming the motherboard is at fault, when in reality its likely they did something wrong. This is why you rarely (if ever) see 5 star motherboard reviews. Its been this way ever since newegg has been a website lol.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

Pro

Deluxe

-A:

Can you list the "PCPartPicker part list" of these motherboards? I want to see them on Amazon and i'm not sure if I'm seeing the correct items.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by apdc05 View Post
    I want to spend more though to be prepared for the future. As for the GPUs coming out later on this year, I'll resell the one I buy to help get some money back. With this said, would you agree with Fascinates build recommendations? If not, what would you change? I'm planning on buying it either in the next hour or early tomorrow morning. Your help is appreciated, thanks!
    The point atm to go for X99, if you have use for it, is to find a decent "cheap" mobo so it doesn't go if at all over an i7 6700k or if it does maybe up to 1/3 over. That is so value/gains are the same if you were doing say videro rendering which you don't. Also you would have to overclock the 5820k to at least 6700k's stock speeds to achieve the same in gaming. So the i7 6700k single core performance at stock is far better. Usually most 5820k chips are able to hit 4.4Ghz tho but you need to spend some time on it tweaking and not just hit 1 button and be done with it.

Here have a look at i7 6700k vs i7 5820k vs i7 5960k. If there was an i5 6600k in there overclocked at same speeds you would see up there in par with the i7's. Point is more core/threads in gaming give you almost no benefit most of the time but single core ipc does.

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    The point atm to go for X99, if you have use for it, is to find a decent "cheap" mobo so it doesn't go if at all over an i7 6700k or if it does maybe up to 1/3 over. That is so value/gains are the same if you were doing say videro rendering which you don't. Also you would have to overclock the 5820k to at least 6700k's stock speeds to achieve the same in gaming. So the i7 6700k single core performance at stock is far better. Usually most 5820k chips are able to hit 4.4Ghz tho but you need to spend some time on it tweaking and not just hit 1 button and be done with it.

Here have a look at i7 6700k vs i7 5820k vs i7 5960k. If there was an i5 6600k in there overclocked at same speeds you would see up there in par with the i7's. Point is more core/threads in gaming give you almost no benefit most of the time but single core ipc does.
    Why do you keep posting in this thread, dont confuse the guy. I know you are trying to help, but you aren't.

A few things:
    1. This isn't a build aimed at value for the dollar. He has a budget and i filled the budget with what i felt were appropriate parts.
    2. Yes skylake is a generation ahead of the x99 chipset, and as so will have a slightly higher IPC. Again, this isnt the point of the build.
    3. You CAN press 1 button and hit 4.4ghz (or higher). See here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxd651HEsXE

4400mhz overclock on all cores with a max VID of 1.299. What would take a seasoned overclocker a day to accomplish is done with literally 1 button press with asus 5 way optimization software. THIS is why i suggest asus boards.

Edit:
    In case its not GLARINGLY obvious why i am suggesting x99 platform ill just link this:
    http://www.dsogaming.com/news/amd-ex...fer-recording/

This is a high level AMD rep showing that dx12 has the ability to leverage more CPU cores.
    Game workloads can be meaningfully distributed across >4 CPU cores
    With a budget like the OP has it would be IRRESPONSIBLE to suggest anything other than an x-99 platform.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2016-03-31 at 10:43 AM.

Deleted
    Why do you keep posting in this thread, dont confuse the guy. I know you are trying to help, but you aren't.
    First off, i am showing him the options, what are the pro's and con's. Second i don't need your opinion on the matter, OP can decide for himself. On every single post you have made on several threads you have been proven wrong and you've lost credibility.

edit: Bottom line, so stop quoting me.
    Last edited by mmoc73263b3bd5; 2016-03-31 at 10:46 AM.