Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Games with good lore

I always love Lore heavy games. Complex and deep stories and legends.
    Anyone have any suggestions?
    What is your favorite?

10+ Year Old Account
    Dragon Age comes to mind. You can spend hours just reading codex entries in any one of the games.
    His name is Robert Paulsen.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Most RPG games have decent/good/brilliant lore going on. Elder Scrolls, Witcher, Baldur's Gate etc.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Consoles or PC? Any genre you prefer?

Witcher series

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Dragon Age series, TES, and the Witcher, especially the Witcher 3. That game is like a gigantic lore/narrative experience. You read entries about monsters which tell you how to fight them. You go on quests to rid local sites of curses and ghouls that haunt them. Then your choices can actually affect the world you are in.

The Witcher is more of an immediate lore, a story unfolding as you play. Dragon Age has a lot more historical lore, lots of information about the various races(and racism) going on. And Elder Scrolls is what it is, pretty much lore all out the wazoo. Of the three, TES has the largest historical lore in terms of physical locations, written text, and game history...followed by Dragon Age...followed by Witcher.
    BAD WOLF

Witcher series and Pillars of Eternity got damn good lore. Also, any damn Warhammer game, though it can be questioned how much the lore plays a role in the game.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    Dragon Age series, TES, and the Witcher, especially the Witcher 3. That game is like a gigantic lore/narrative experience. You read entries about monsters which tell you how to fight them. You go on quests to rid local sites of curses and ghouls that haunt them. Then your choices can actually affect the world you are in.

The Witcher is more of an immediate lore, a story unfolding as you play. Dragon Age has a lot more historical lore, lots of information about the various races(and racism) going on. And Elder Scrolls is what it is, pretty much lore all out the wazoo. Of the three, TES has the largest historical lore in terms of physical locations, written text, and game history...followed by Dragon Age...followed by Witcher.
    Witcher has plenty of historical lore - though in the forms of actual physical books.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Deleted
    Spec Ops The Line is an average shooter but it have an amazing story. If you're into shooting games, you should try it out.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    While i dont really care for the gameplay, the writing in The Secret World is among the best ive ever seen. Though it is a B2P mmo and not a standalone.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Witcher has plenty of historical lore - though in the forms of actual physical books.
    Yes, 'plenty', but the focus is on the present lore or how snippets of educational lore play a part in your game right here, right now. Trying to give the most accurate portrayal so the poster can decide what they like best. Just because I rated it third in terms of amount of historical lore, doesn't mean it has none.

There is a reason I picked those three game series because they really just set the bar for lore based RPGs. Witcher 3 is probably the most well rounded and in depth of all of them for the overall experience, weaving cinematics and player choice into the mix. It's a lot more action-y and less immersive though, but that's the design.

TES and Skyrim in particular felt more immersive to me, with DA being the least immersive due to heavy leanings on strategy and team based gameplay. I think Inquisition was the best attempt at immersion, but falls short of these other two. But in reality I think everyone who plays RPGs should play these games.

Currently I'm playing Witcher 3 and I'm just...astounded by the game. I couldn't get into the 2nd one due to awkward combat that I was horrible at and throwing the sex in your face from the second you start up the game. But, Witcher 3 has much better combat for me and allows you to choose how you go about certain things so it's less explicit. Call me a prude, but that's just not what I'm looking for in a video game. Romance, sure. But otherwise, meh.

While the game world itself was breathtaking from the second I started moving in it, I was sold on the game's lore and storytelling after doing the very first Witcher contract with the wraith at the well. I had to research monsters and then go slay them in the appropriate way. That was pretty top notch.
    BAD WOLF

Both Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40k have tons of lore to delve into. Another is the Battletech universe. D&D's Forgotten Realms has a considerable amount of lore, especially if you include all its known lands. So too with the Planescape setting, and to a lesser degree others like Dragonlance, Ravenloft, Greyhawk and Mystara.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominitry View Post
    World of Warcraft, Risen 2, Heroes of might and Magic 1-3 and my favorite.... guild wars 1 but also 2 is OK
    I would put World of Warcraft into parentheses because for the past couple of expansions the lore has been anything but coherent and good. The WC (RTS games) lore and I personally would say up to and including Wrath is excellent. Just my opinion.

On topic, the Elder Scrolls games have some nice lore. At least Morrowind and Oblivion do, Skyrim was a bit I thought.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mass Effect
    Fallout

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Stalfos19 View Post
    I always love Lore heavy games. Complex and deep stories and legends.
    Anyone have any suggestions?
    What is your favorite?
    Lost Odyssey. It's something of a lost gem from the Xbox 360, a platform that it was never going to succeed on. With an original story by Hironobu Sakaguchi (original Final Fantasy series creator/writer, wrote the story for FFVI specifically, my favourite), it's a very slow paced and methodical game, with low amounts of action and one of the better Final Fantasy style combat systems.

The lore was better than the game itself. The game focuses on world building and developing Kaim as the main character. I ended up playing it just to experience all the side-stories and recounted history of an immortal, who has lived for a thousand years, watching kingdoms grow and fall, loving some and losing all, to the simple passage of time.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Final Fantasy XIV
    Chrono Trigger

...I can't remember more but those are very story-centered in comparsion to other games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shadowrun (HB Series)
    Pillars of Eternity
    Underrail
    The Secret World
    Gothic

Off the top of my head those are some which had interesting enough lore to make me read all the optional stuff. Dragon Age might just about sneak in there too.
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

I've played Witcher, Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age.
    I love RPG's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Witcher, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Runescape, WOW, Zelda, and Mass Effect come to mind.

Witcher (especially Witcher 3 with all DLC's),
    Fallout (all),
    Elder Scrolls (all),
    Dragon Age (all),
    Pillars of Eternity (with all DLC's),
    The Banner Saga (both 1 and 2),
    Warhammer Fantasy Battle games and Warhammer 40 000 games.

I bet I forgot some