Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by phitness View Post
    so everyone gets 1 point(trophy) for being special. Why are you just repeating what I said but in a different way?
    No, if a team goes throughout the season and only draws (ties), then they will probably get relegated, which is the opposite of winning a trophy.

The idea is to win and if you cannot win, then to not lose, i.e. draw, so a draw is more of a last resort. Also playing for a draw often backfires.

What teams who are mismatched usually do is defend and try to score on the break, so they are still trying to win but realise that taking the opposition head on would be suicidal - Iceland recently did this against England and managed to win, even though England were by far the dominant team in the match in terms of possession, shots, passing, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by victork8 View Post
    No, for one team it's like actually winning. Most of the time there's either two evenly matched teams that cannot win, or it's one team trying to defend for their lives against a superior team. Either way it's not just as simple as "everyone wins". Typical American gibberish to bring up draws as a negative.
    Typical EU gibberish to make draws seem like winning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Chocolate and cocaine come from the same plant, after all, and chocolate isn't illegal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There's nothing about affirmative action that is "racist".

10+ Year Old Account
    Typical EU gibberish to make draws seem like winning.
    American sports reward mediocrity by not employing a promotion/relegation system, so in American sports every club gets a participation trophy, whereas in football you get fucked if you fail.

Me watching/discussing Football.

Fuck it, full version to make Adam feel better and reveal the secrets about mans relationship with Football.
    Last edited by Kronik85; 2016-07-04 at 01:35 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    No, if a team goes throughout the season and only draws (ties), then they will probably get relegated, which is the opposite of winning a trophy.

The idea is to win and if you cannot win, then to not lose, i.e. draw, so a draw is more of a last resort. Also playing for a draw often backfires.

What teams who are mismatched usually do is defend and try to score on the break, so they are still trying to win but realise that taking the opposition head on would be suicidal - Iceland recently did this against England and managed to win, even though England were by far the dominant team in the match in terms of possession, shots, passing, etc.
    England just played like shit, and would have been even more embarrassed scoreline wise had they played a better team. I'm a little upset that the USMNT no longer holds the title of most embarrassing England defeat anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Any other people here suffer similar whilst growing up?
    Hockey, Canadian, can relate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    England just played like shit, and would have been even more embarrassed scoreline wise had they played a better team. I'm a little upset that the USMNT no longer holds the title of most embarrassing England defeat anymore.
    Iceland got the win because they took their chances. Tournament football often has an element of luck to it, on most days England could have played the same way and beaten Iceland.

Wales were a better team than Iceland and England beat Wales, Russia were worse than Wales and managed a draw. It's a funny old game.

I have no idea what USMNT is.

American sports reward mediocrity by not employing a promotion/relegation system, so in American sports every club gets a participation trophy, whereas in football you get fucked if you fail.
    i dont watch american sports so I have no idea what you are talking about but I do know that in football there is basically never a tie, I think you mean soccer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Chocolate and cocaine come from the same plant, after all, and chocolate isn't illegal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There's nothing about affirmative action that is "racist".

10+ Year Old Account
    i dont watch american sports so I have no idea what you are talking about but I do know that in football there is basically never a tie, I think you mean soccer.
    I mean football, soccer is just a nickname for football.

7+ Year Old Account
    Iceland got the win because they took their chances. Tournament football often has an element of luck to it, on most days England could have played the same way and beaten Iceland.

Wales were a better team than Iceland and England beat Wales, Russia were worse than Wales and managed a draw. It's a funny old game.

I have no idea what USMNT is.
    US vs England

10+ Year Old Account
    Any loss to Scotland is more humiliating.

Why USMNT? What is the M for?

7+ Year Old Account
    Any loss to Scotland is more humiliating.

Why USMNT? What is the M for?
    United States Men's National Team, not to be confused with our dominating United States Women's National Team.

The US manger at the time was a Scot so there is that.
    Last edited by bladeXcrasher; 2016-07-04 at 02:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    >Yeah it's stupid how people go batshit crazy over sport.

I was talking about this.
    But w/e, we are not going to get anywhere with this.
    Well that was more of a dig at any and all crazy sport fans rather than football specifically, you can get hooliganism in any sport following.

10+ Year Old Account
    My older brother and I like football, my younger brother doesn't care for it. Some people just like different things.
    Speciation Is Gradual

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    Me watching/discussing Football.

Fuck it, full version to make Adam feel better and reveal the secrets about mans relationship with Football.
    PMSL, that's me aged 12 when it was that big European thing

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка

Another example would PSV in the 1st knockout round this CL, The gap between Athletico Madrid(spelling?) and PSV is huge, the only ad a chance by playing on the counter. Nearly even worked, lost on pens.
    But as a fan of PSV, it was amazing to see how much Zoet(was not even in the Dutch 2014 squad, now competing for 1st keeper spot) and Bruma(sold for 15M€) had improved.

Zoet really deserved that UEFA keeper of the week award.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinan View Post
    Well that was more of a dig at any and all crazy sport fans rather than football specifically, you can get hooliganism in any sport following.
    Ah, okay. Sorry I misunderstood it then.

- - - Updated - - -

Eh, atleast they are not Dutch.
    Our team had trouble with Kazakhstan.

Thankfully, the Pre-tournament friendlies suggest the team is improving. Jansen shows a lot of talent as a striker.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Any other people here suffer similar whilst growing up?
    Exactly the same. Though I could fool you, every one of my friends enjoys it and it's regularly a talking point for hours a time when we go out - so much so, that I can hold a conversation on the sport for a little while whilst rarely having ever watched a game.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Deleted
    I am so happy that I don't belong to the crowd that enjoys watching football.

Or any other sport for that matter.