Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    The only problem with immortality is that we don't have it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    So the problem with immortality lies in the fact that were social animals. You may live forever but the people around you wont. Your family and friends will all die. You could make more friends but again they would all day. Then there's the end of the world. Assuming you would survive the apocalypse there would be no one left.

Immortality is not worth it.
    Speak for yourself.
    I'd gladly go through all that if I could live forever.

If you are immortal and World is destroyed just wait for another big bang. Its not like you dont have time for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    The only problem with immortality is that we don't have it.
    Skip to 5:20 of this video. This is the problem with immortality.

Ignore all the religion stuff. The stuff at 5:20 and after is VERY relevant to this topic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebalina View Post
    Id take immortality every time tbh.

Social animal lel what a joke.
    People leave friends and family on daily basis to go work for years sometimes by the time they come back their friends have moved on or died same with family.
    Then you find new friends and surrogate family if needs be it isn't that hard.

I really wanna live in a post apocalyptic times just to see what the big fuss is about.
    Really i don't think movie scenarios do that any justice.

And if you are immortal why would you care about end of the world?
    Move on jerk off do what ever your hearth desires.
    why would you care about the end of the world?

-eventually entirely lifetimes will appear as mere blinks of an eye to you. being married to the love of your life is a big deal if you can be married for 60-80% of your lifetime. but after a million years those 100 years feel more like an hour does to you now. eventually it just loses all meaning. why bother with making new friends if they will die immediately from your perspective.
    -what if you get stuck/buried somewhere? or worse, end up floating in space. or worse, that + pain. getting stuck somewhere is statistically inevitable, and will likely happen way before civilization dies off.

immortality is great for maybe a few thousand years, after that it becomes the worst torture imaginable.
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2016-08-04 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cizr View Post
    If you are immortal and World is destroyed just wait for another big bang. Its not like you dont have time for it.
    The human brain would go insane after weeks-months of 100% isolation and be blank long before you reached your first year.

Imagine if someone buried you in a box and you never needed food/water. There's no clock so you have no idea how long you've been in there. Then do that for an eternity.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

So the problem with immortality lies in the fact that were social animals. You may live forever but the people around you wont. Your family and friends will all die. You could make more friends but again they would all day. Then there's the end of the world. Assuming you would survive the apocalypse there would be no one left.

I'll just make new friends and find new women

The point I was making with that is that having people come and go in your long life of being immortal likely would get really hard to deal with.
    People deal with it now. It is likely based on our actual experiences that if one were immortal they would become quite adept at handling those transitory relationships.

When your heart is broken in your first relationship it's a lot tougher than when you are 40 and already been in several relationships. Et cetera.

Again, there is no rational basis to assume humans would be incapable of dealing with loss when we do so all the time. And we usually deal with it better then more life experience we accumulate.

If you can find it, I would suggest watching the movie 'The Man From Earth' It's a really good movie, and very engaging... And it takes place in 1 room, with like 7 people total.

Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    The human brain would go insane after weeks-months of 100% isolation and be blank long before you reached your first year.

Imagine if someone buried you in a box and you never needed food/water. There's no clock so you have no idea how long you've been in there. Then do that for an eternity.
    Jokes on you, i live alone and stay home in the dark unless I am forced outside.

10+ Year Old Account

Even if you aren't immortal, chances are you will see many people you care about die before your turn comes. Doesn't mean life isn't worth it, does it?
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

i'm not a social animal.

immortality would not bother me. though i'd prefer to be immortal in a form that's not physical, so i could bounce around and watch different types of people live their lives.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempguy View Post
    Jokes on you, i live alone and stay home in the dark unless I am forced outside.
    turn off the internet/tv and see how long you last that way :P

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    turn off the internet/tv and see how long you last that way :P
    I don't watch tv. But yes, the internet would sting. I would have to go back to making paper toys to play with like I did in the 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempguy View Post
    Now imagine you get cut off mmo champion forums for 10 days!
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    Apeirophobia is the fear of eternity.

No matter what, you'd get bored eventually. I pity the thantophobists out there.
    Doubtful, there's always something you can learn or practice, and always people that need help. There's always something to do.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    It depends on what kind of immortality it is and what happens when you get into a car accident where you lose a leg and an arm. Will your limbs grow back. Are you going to have to live forever that way. You have a small chance of being seriously injured each year, if you live ten lifetimes you have 10 more chances of being injured.
    Good points. Sometimes death is welcome rather than living forever in pain and disfigurement. Immortality would not be a good thing unless we are also immune to disease, pain and lost of limbs, eyes, etc.

Do you mean "doesn't age" or "God like"?

We all know what happened to "God" at the end.

10+ Year Old Account

We have a couple billion years on this planet until it begins to die off due to our own solar system coming to a tragic end. If you were immortal, your best bet would to be putting all your effort into figuring out how to migrate from this planet.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BalwickZaik View Post
    Doubtful, there's always something you can learn or practice, and always people that need help. There's always something to do.
    please tell me what you are going to do when you for example fall into the ocean and get dragged down a depth where your physical strength isnt enough to overcome the water pressure, so you can't walk on the bottom to get back to land. or any of a myriad of similar situations.