Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs down Michelle Obama 'Ape' post puts tiny town at center of firestorm

The mayor of a small West Virginia town has stepped down and the director of a non-profit has been placed on leave after outrage exploded across social media over a post-election Facebook post aimed at Michelle Obama.

“It will be refreshing to have a classy, beautiful, dignified First Lady in the White House. I’m tired of seeing a Ape in heels,” read the post by Pamela Ramsey Taylor, director of the Clay County Development Corp., according to media reports.

The resignation of Clay Mayor Beverly Whaling, who reportedly responded “Just made my day Pam” to Taylor's Facebook post, was effective immediately, town recorder Joe Coleman told the Associated Press on Tuesday.

Taylor told WCHS-TV on Monday that she was put on leave.

The post was shared hundreds of times on social media before it was apparently deleted.

The incident placed the tiny enclave of Clay – with fewer than 500 people and named for statesman Henry Clay – at the center of a firestorm as racial tensions have flared nationwide in the week since the election. West Virginians voted overwhelmingly for Republican Donald Trump, and he won 77% of the votes in Clay County.

Whaling said her comment was not meant as racist in a written apology issued to news media outlets.

“I was referring to my day being made for change in the White House! I am truly sorry for any hard feeling this may have caused! Those who know me know that I’m not in any way racist!”

The non-profit Clay County Development Corp. offers services to seniors and low-income residents and is funded through state and federal grants and local fees. It is not affiliated with the town of Clay.

Clay’s town council planned to discuss the issue at a previously scheduled meeting Tuesday evening.

The mayor's office could not be reached for comment by USA TODAY.

Contributing: The Associated Press
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...torm/93917502/

They should both lose their jobs over this.
    Zero tolerance is what is needed when it comes to such statements.

Lol good you posted this, so calling Trump a orangutan is fine and dandy but this is bad. Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

When I first heard this from my friend, I honestly didn't believe it; shocking.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

well, michelle obama is an ape in heels, when she wears heels.

we're all apes in clothing. homosapiens sapiens, to be exact.

You have to be pretty stupid to post that publicly.

Quote Originally Posted by Shibito View Post
    Lol good you posted this, so calling Trump a orangutan is fine and dandy but this is bad. Lol
    I think the people who did this are absolutely uncalled for. What you stated though is a common re-occurrence of hypocrisy from people on this site. More specifically the people who supported Hillary and angry she lost.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stupid, stupid people. Did they not expect this to happen?

There's still a racist undertone in calling anyone black a type of ape or money, it'd be like calling a white person a Cheese-it (orange cracker), however at the same time no, calling Trump an orangutan isn't right. It also isn't funny as it's just not clever either.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    How long till people here claim this is fake? The Alt-right is not at all racist in any way, yeah?
    Connal, don't go to the dark side!

On-topic, surely there was some part in her brain that would ring alarm bells that it would likely be perceived really poorly?

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    It might be different if spray-tanned old people were a race with a long history of oppression in which "orangutan" was commonly used to denigrate them.
    Always a reason for you to be volatile right?

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    You have to be pretty stupid to post that publicly.
    Welll.. I mean...
    It is a backwoods town in West Virginia... Not really surprised someone publically make a racist remark.
    I'm a Kitsune! Not a cat, or a mutt!

7+ Year Old Account
    Those arms are pretty scary.

How long till people here claim this is fake? The Alt-right is not at all racist in any way, yeah?
    I wouldn't consider it racist. I mean I thought Bush looked like an ape and Obama's ears kind of give his face a chimp like appearance. I don't really know why the same would be said of Michelle, I think she looks fantastic for a woman her age.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    Those arms are pretty scary.
    You can say that without being racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyster View Post
    Always a reason for you to be volatile right?
    Out of curiosity how was that volatile? It's completely on point. Black people have a history in which using a type of money or ape is an insult to them, it's a step past just a standard insult.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    You can say that without being racist.
    I know, I did. But it's still funny. /shrug

you know damn well there is more connotation involved to her being refereed to an ape that is far beyond a bad spray on tan and a com over.

Ok, the alt-right loves minorities, gays, and Jews... I am mistaken.
    It really depends on what you call the alt-right. To be honest I don't even see anything said about the alt right in the article.

Maybe one day people like her will learn just how quickly the internet works.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    you know damn well there is more connotation involved to her being refereed to an ape that is far beyond a bad spray on tan and a com over.
    I dunno calling someone an ape is pretty spot on the same as a orangutan