10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post

Edit: just looked up who is playing Triss. Netflix I swear to god.
    This is like the 15th White Redhead character to Black actress cast change in the last 2 years
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffan View Post
    This is like the 15th White Redhead character to Black actress cast change in the last 2 years
    what was the other 14?
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    what was the other 14?
    I dunno 14 but here are a few: MJ in spiderman (yeah yeah different MJ, still could have gone with a different nick name if they wanted a different character), Annie, Iris West in Flash tv series, Starfire in Titans, Jimmy Olsen in Supergirl, now Ariel in TLM... could be others I missed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep, only two problems with that. First, Anna Shaffer is not black. She may be of mixed heritage, but she isn't black. She played Romilda Vane in the last few Harry Potter movies. Google her and tell me again how she is black.

And second, Triss is not a redhead. She was made a redhead for the games but in the books she has "chestnut" hair i.e. brown with reddish highlights.

And you know what, I will toss in a third, who cares anyways? Is the color of her hair or skin all that important to the character of Triss? Or is it her personality, how she acts, and what she does? Lets maybe calm down a bit, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    And you know what, I will toss in a third, who cares anyways? Is the color of her hair or skin all that important to the character of Triss? Or is it her personality, how she acts, and what she does?
    It's important because she's my prime love interest from the series and half of that appeal is her actual physical appeal. The instant she loses her physical attraction and familiarity she had in the games is the instant I stop caring about her as a character and lose that fantasy. That matters, because the fewer characters I care about, the less interested in the show I am, and I WANT to like this show because of how much I like the video games. I see the potential it has because of them, so if they fuck up the series, it's just going to make me angry thinking about what could have been.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Maybe find an actual real life girl to be so hung up on.
    Considering my wife is a smoking hot doctor I think I'm fine in that department. But, that doesn't mean the fantasy and attachment to the character isn't still there. That's the mark of a good character: someone who effectively gets your audience to care. As far as the "books vs games" for source... yeah... the games were based on the books, too. They're just far better, and far better known. If they're going to pick an audience to target, if they choose anything other than the video game audience as the prime one, they're going to fail just like nearly every other netflix live action. So be it, I just hate that franchises typically only get one shot. Meaning, when they fuck up the witcher, we'll probably never see another witcher show.

There are only so many fantasy franchises I actually like. Please don't ruin them all and make it impossible for me to be excited for something being delivered in a different way (video vs game) because someone decided to do some "interpreting" away from what made it popular and possible in the first place.

Also, it's not entitlement. It's just me being honest with my feelings about what the show needs to be for me to like it. They're free to do what they want, and I'm free to ridicule them for it. What I'm expecting them to do and what I WANT them to do are two different things. Actual entitlement comes in the form of trying to affect changes in laws to get what you want as far as I'm concerned. Any other "entitlement" doesn't matter and isn't a heinous affront to freedom.
    Last edited by BeepBoo; 2019-07-10 at 02:37 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    15? Is there a list?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    I dunno 14 but here are a few: MJ in spiderman (yeah yeah different MJ, still could have gone with a different nick name if they wanted a different character), Annie, Iris West in Flash tv series, Starfire in Titans, Jimmy Olsen in Supergirl, now Ariel in TLM... could be others I missed.
    Does Annie really count? They redid the whole cast didn’t they not just Annie? It’s like saying the new Godzilla replaces all the Japanese people. isn't starfire also still a redhead? If you mean white redheads like MJ starfire was never one as she has orange skin.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's important because she's my prime love interest from the series and half of that appeal is her actual physical appeal. The instant she loses her physical attraction and familiarity she had in the games is the instant I stop caring about her as a character and lose that fantasy. That matters, because the fewer characters I care about, the less interested in the show I am, and I WANT to like this show because of how much I like the video games. I see the potential it has because of them, so if they fuck up the series, it's just going to make me angry thinking about what could have been.
    So you are upset because they are ruining your waifu. Got it.

Btw, the game serie got her looks entirely wrong too. It's based on the books, not the games.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

I acknowledged that already and said I don't care, because I never would have known the witcher even existed if it wasn't for the video game. The video game's popularity is why this show is a thing, not the books. The books alone without the game would have made the author a whopping $5 across their lives because they were just that unpopular relatively. Hence my argument that if they choose to focus on any market but the video game audience will result in failure, or at least not nearly as much success as they could have had.

I acknowledged that already and said I don't care, because I never would have known the witcher even existed if it wasn't for the video game. The video game's popularity is why this show is a thing, not the books. The books alone without the game would have made the author a whopping $5 across their lives because they were just that unpopular relatively. Hence my argument that if they choose to focus on any market but the video game audience will result in failure, or at least not nearly as much success as they could have had.
    This is how a bubble looks like.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

You act like I'm under some illusion that I'm just ignoring other view points from what I like. I'm well aware of what I'm doing, and I simultaneously don't care or feel a need to change, because what I like is what I like and there's no reason I should change that. It will either align or it won't. You're not going to convince my genes to suddenly start finding something attractive or appealing that they don't currently. "no no, fat people really do look good! You just have to open your mind!" Nah. They don't need to change for me, either, but they are definitely not someone I'd ever consider getting romantically involved with.

Something like the witcher I'm a little more invested in. Imagine we know something is going to happen to all but 1 woman in the world. They're going to all go poof except that 1 woman. Say I'm pinning my hopes and dreams that the one woman is going to be what I like. Then, it comes out who the one woman is actually going to be and I don't like her. I'd be crushed because I know nothing better is coming. Same thing here. I'm sad this isn't going to be at least what I was hoping for because I know damn well we won't get what I really want in my lifetime.

Nothing wrong with voicing that displeasure.

You act like I'm under some illusion that I'm just ignoring other view points from what I like. I'm well aware of what I'm doing, and I simultaneously don't care or feel a need to change, because what I like is what I like and there's no reason I should change that. It will either align or it won't. You're not going to convince my genes to suddenly start finding something attractive or appealing that they don't currently. "no no, fat people really do look good! You just have to open your mind!" Nah. They don't need to change for me, either, but they are definitely not someone I'd ever consider getting romantically involved with.

Something like the witcher I'm a little more invested in. Imagine we know something is going to happen to all but 1 woman in the world. They're going to all go poof except that 1 woman. Say I'm pinning my hopes and dreams that the one woman is going to be what I like. Then, it comes out who the one woman is actually going to be and I don't like her. I'd be crushed because I know nothing better is coming. Same thing here. I'm sad this isn't going to be at least what I was hoping for because I know damn well we won't get what I really want in my lifetime.

If your genes are attracted to a video game character, I'd recommend you go see some genes that decided to be a therapist, because that shit ain't healthy.

You're throwing a temper tantrum because the visual representation of a character isn't in line with a different, inaccurate depiction of the same character. Cool story. Of course, there is no reason for you to change your opinion. Why should you? But here's the kicker. Holding on to your opinion will also, sometimes, open you up for mockery or criticism, especially if your opinion is primitive, biased, dumb, ignorant or in conflict with facts, or any combination of the aforementioned.

So, please, keep going on how wet Video Game Triss gets your panties, and we can keep commenting on it. Great fun for the whole family.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    So, please, keep going on how wet Video Game Triss gets your panties, and we can keep commenting on it. Great fun for the whole family.
    Mocking isn't what's happening. I don't mind mockery. I mind people actually arguing or trying to change my mind, trying to explain why I'm "wrong" on an opinionated topic.

Fact: video game success made this possible.
    Fact: Girl looks nothing like popular video game character.
    Opinion: video game character was hotter as depicted in the video game than actress who got cast to represent her.
    Opinion: actress looking different from familiar face she's supposed to be portraying makes it feel like a different character, because what I see with my eyes is at least HALF the reality I care about.

Mocking isn't what's happening. I don't mind mockery. I mind people actually arguing or trying to change my mind, trying to explain why I'm "wrong" on an opinionated topic.

Fact: video game success made this possible.
    Fact: Girl looks nothing like popular video game character.
    Opinion: video game character was hotter as depicted in the video game than actress who got cast to represent her.
    Opinion: actress looking different from familiar face she's supposed to be portraying makes it feel like a different character, because what I see with my eyes is at least HALF the reality I care about.
    Would you be so kind as to provide a source for 'video game success made this possible'? They tried to get the author to co-produce, not CDPR. All visual clues so far indicate that they follow the books, not the games.

And noone is saying that your opinion is wrong, dude, we just say it doesn't matter in the slightest.

This has nothing to do with the bubble matter I spoke of.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    This has nothing to do with the bubble matter I spoke of.
    Genuinely interested in what you meant. Misunderstandings are not things I like to leave standing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well that is just simply untrue.

I honestly feel sorry for your "smoking hot doctor" wife if you are that invested in getting hot for a video game character. Please believe me in that I am not trying to be mean in saying this, but you really may want to speak to a therapist my dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Would you be so kind as to provide a source for 'video game success made this possible'? They tried to get the author to co-produce, not CDPR. All visual clues so far indicate that they follow the books, not the games.
    Netflix couldn't get CDPR on it because they don't have the rights to do anything other than make video games. They have to go to the original author of the novels, and the novels were not popular outside central/western Europe until after the games gave the Witcher story exposure elsewhere.

It is a fact that the Netflix series would not be happening without the games being so popular.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post

It is a fact that the Netflix series would not be happening without the games being so popular.
    You don't know that. "hello this is Netflix, you're greenlit how may I help you".

Even without the games being popular witcher could have still been picked up. Netflix greenlight everything it's why they're in massive debt and slowly increase sub fees and a polish fantasy show could be the new game of thrones!11