Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Well that is just simply untrue.
    Book was only polish till CDPR made the games. Then, in 2007, the released american ones (due to the game's popularity). In addition, there's this graphic for book popularity. Guess what released in 2015?

I honestly feel sorry for your "smoking hot doctor" wife if you are that invested in getting hot for a video game character. Please believe me in that I am not trying to be mean in saying this, but you really may want to speak to a therapist my dude.
    Bruh, digital pixels representing a realistic female appearance is basically the same as the digital form (facebook photo, snapchat, etc) of a real girl as far as attraction goes. Hentai ain't my thing, but it's pretty obviously popular enough to show that people have no problem with being attracted to non-real things. Besides that, fantasy is separate from real life. I can't tell you how many imaginary fantasies I've had in my head as far as daydreaming about women since I was old enough to recognize I liked women. It has to be in the millions. Those fantasies are just that: meaningless, harmless thoughts. Anyone who tries to high-horse or act like they've never had such day dreams (sexual, romantic, or otherwise) about stuff is lying.

I know my wife has similar fantasies for things she likes, like Sebastian from Black Butler. It doesn't mean anything, and it doesn't bother me. I feel sorry for you if you think such things don't happen in the head of everyone and also you let someone expressing these things impact your potential relationships. "WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU THOUGHT ABOUT AN ANIME CHARACTER!? AM I NOT ENOUGH!?!" Could you imagine saying that to someone you're married to? lul.
    Last edited by BeepBoo; 2019-07-10 at 08:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    Book was only polish till CDPR made the games. Then, in 2007, the released american ones (due to the game's popularity). In addition, there's this graphic for book popularity. Guess what released in 2015?
    I was talking about the "The books alone without the game would have made the author a whopping $5 across their lives because they were just that unpopular relatively." They were pretty popular all over eastern europe for many, many years. That's why they were optioned to be made into video games in the first place. No one is denying the games gave the series world wide notice, but to pretend that they were completely unknown until the games is just false.

Bruh, digital pixels representing a realistic female appearance is basically the same as the digital form (facebook photo, snapchat, etc) of a real girl as far as attraction goes. Hentai ain't my thing, but it's pretty obviously popular enough to show that people have no problem with being attracted to non-real things. Besides that, fantasy is separate from real life. I can't tell you how many imaginary fantasies I've had in my head as far as daydreaming about women since I was old enough to recognize I liked women. It has to be in the millions. Those fantasies are just that: meaningless, harmless thoughts. Anyone who tries to high-horse or act like they've never had such day dreams (sexual, romantic, or otherwise) about stuff is lying.

I know my wife has similar fantasies for things she likes, like Sebastian from Black Butler. It doesn't mean anything, and it doesn't bother me. I feel sorry for you if you think such things don't happen in the head of everyone and also you let someone expressing these things impact your potential relationships. "WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU THOUGHT ABOUT AN ANIME CHARACTER!? AM I NOT ENOUGH!?!" Could you imagine saying that to someone you're married to? lul.
    There is a pretty vast difference between liking the design of an animated character and throwing a tantrum over Netflix changing the skincolor of your digital waifu. And they don't seem all that meaningless since you are making such a big deal about it.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post

It is a fact that the Netflix series would not be happening without the games being so popular.
    Source?

That's... a couple of lies right there. The english version of the books released the same year as the game, in 2007. Same goes for the German version. While I cannot find an exact release date for the book, the Game released on the 30th of October in the US. It took some time to gain attention, and it also takes time to translate a book, find a publisher, print, distribute, etc. The first Witcher game, while still a good game, also by far didn't have the same attention that the second, let alone the third game got. The first material from the Witcher Universe was translated back in 2000, when it was still titled 'The Hexer' - see the Chosen by Fate book.

So, no. The game was not the reason the books were translated.

Also: What is this graphic supposed to tell us?

It doesn't cite what was sold. I assume it is supposed to be the Witcher books? OR just one of the books? Or an anthology of the books?

In any case, should it be the books, would you please show the entire release history of it, and not start at a random interval 5 years after it's release? People might think you're trying to skewer facts. Thank you!

Oh, and a link to where you got that graphic from would be swell as well
    Last edited by Skulltaker; 2019-07-10 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    That's... a couple of lies right there. The english version of the books released the same year as the game, in 2007. Same goes for the German version. While I cannot find an exact release date for the book, the Game released on the 30th of October in the US. It took some time to gain attention, and it also takes time to translate a book, find a publisher, print, distribute, etc. The first Witcher game, while still a good game, also by far didn't have the same attention that the second, let alone the third game got. The first material from the Witcher Universe was translated back in 2000, when it was still titled 'The Hexer' - see the Chosen by Fate book.
    I stand corrected. The books were translated and brought over before the games released. Just unheard of and unpopular.

Also: What is this graphic supposed to tell us?
    Sales of The Last Wish (first witcher book) since amazon started tracking such things.
    https://www.novelrank.com/asin/0316029181

Oh, and a link to where you got that graphic from would be swell as well
    Article talking about the game's success and related book success is where I stumbled upon the graphic
    https://literature.stackexchange.com...-witcher-books

I stand corrected. The books were translated and brought over before the games released. Just unheard of and unpopular.

Sales of The Last Wish (first witcher book) since amazon started tracking such things.
    https://www.novelrank.com/asin/0316029181

Article talking about the game's success and related book success is where I stumbled upon the graphic
    https://literature.stackexchange.com...-witcher-books
    They were neither unpopular nor unheard off. The books won multiple prizes long befor they were translated.

The article you linked was written over 2 years ago. 2017 saw an even bigger increase in sale for the book. What Witcher game was released then to increase its popularity? It's also difficult to see how accurate these numbers are, since they are not provided by Amazon themselves. The service also shut down some time ago.

Did the games help the series? Sure. The author is somewhat of an asshole denying that, and is rightfully put into his place by Glukhovsky. But saying the books were unpoular befor still remains factually false.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    You don't know that. "hello this is Netflix, you're greenlit how may I help you".

Even without the games being popular witcher could have still been picked up. Netflix greenlight everything it's why they're in massive debt and slowly increase sub fees and a polish fantasy show could be the new game of thrones!11
    Source?
    Because the company they have working on their VFX is the group that did the cinematics for the games.
    Andrzej Sapkowski will serve as a creative consultant on the series. Sean Daniel (The Mummy franchise, The Expanse) and Jason Brown (The Expanse), partners at the Sean Daniel Company are executive producers, along with Tomek Baginski (Oscar nominated short The Cathedral, BAFTA winning The Fallen Art, Ambition) and Jarek Sawko (The Fallen Art, Another Day of Life) from Platige Image, the Polish production and visual effects company.
    And they originally wanted to make it into a movie with the hopes of it starting a movie franchise that told its own stories not from the books or games.
    You might not know Platige by name, but you're probably familiar with its work. The company produced the stunning Witcher 3 trailer called "The Trail" and also created cinematics for Halo 5: Guardians, among a long list of other projects.

In a press release, producers said the movie will star Geralt of Rivia, but won't be a straight adaptation of any of the novels or games. Instead, it will follow the "themes" of the short stories The Witcher and Lesser Evil from Sapkowski's The Last Wish collection. The film is expected to be the first in a series.
    Looks like they didn't have any luck getting a major film company to back it for them so they wound up at Netflix, like a lot of failed projects do.

Of everything, the most precious thing are people arguing that it wasn't CDPR's Witcher video games and in particular Witcher 3 that put the franchise on the global pop culture scene and enabled the show in the first place.

And not one of these things indicates that it wouldn't have happened without the game. I read a lot of input that the original source material has, and nothing about the games. So...

And not one of these things indicates that it wouldn't have happened without the game. I read a lot of input that the original source material has, and nothing about the games. So...
    You're wrong on multiple levels here.
    1) The original idea was a movie inspired by the themes of the novels, but not reflecting any events from them (or the games).
    2) There can be no input from the games because CDPR only has license to make games and the author of the novels would sue the everliving shit out of them if they tried to make media they weren't licensed for (he already tried to sue them once, I'm sure you know the story).
    3) Why is input from the games even required? The games made the franchise popular all over the world. That was all that was needed.

But I'm really curious how you can look at a production started that involves the VFX group that worked on the games and say it didn't happen because of the games.

I see no problem with that type of bitching. What people find attractive is also part of what makes a character appealing to them, and having that character changed can affect the appeal. I'm of the opinion that shows like this (and teen titans, for another instance of retarded failure) have to rely on the fact that they aren't bringing in any new people and that a huge majority is going to be those neck beards looking for something cool and familiar from the thing they love.

I hated the fact that ghost in the shell cast a white woman as one of the most iconic asian female characters of all time, and I'll hate basically anything that does it similarly if it's something I have a long history with.

Trust me when I say I'm no neck beard, but I am definitely picky about these types of details in my shows.
    No new market? Sure. Ever heard of a show called game of thrones? Neckbeards need to calm down. The content is what matters, not what someone looks like. If Netflix was relying on neckbeards to make a profit (or any company for that matter), nothing would ever be successful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

You're wrong on multiple levels here.
    1) The original idea was a movie inspired by the themes of the novels, but not reflecting any events from them (or the games).
    2) There can be no input from the games because CDPR only has license to make games and the author of the novels would sue the everliving shit out of them if they tried to make media they weren't licensed for (he already tried to sue them once, I'm sure you know the story).
    3) Why is input from the games even required? The games made the franchise popular all over the world. That was all that was needed.

But I'm really curious how you can look at a production started that involves the VFX group that worked on the games and say it didn't happen because of the games.
    You do know that Platige Image is a over 20 year old company that did loads of work, including movies, commercials, and even work on Wonder Woman from 2017? They have won awards for their work. They are good at what they do.

And I'm not wrong. Nothing in what you linked supports your claim of 'the series would not have happened without the games'. The fact that they wanted to do a movie inspired by the book not only doesn't change that, it's counter-indicative.

If you say that there cannot be any input from the games, why is the choice of the VFX artists relevant?

And, while I could have phrased it better, I never said the games should or could have any input. Read as "I read a lot of input that the original source material has, and nothing about the games in any of these articles whatsoever."

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpcat View Post
    Of everything, the most precious thing are people arguing that it wasn't CDPR's Witcher video games and in particular Witcher 3 that put the franchise on the global pop culture scene and enabled the show in the first place.
    It obviously helped but when another Adam Sandler movie also comes out then they are clearly willing to give anything a go and the source material of witcher universe is sure damn better than a murder mystery with Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston so lets not pretend like a netflix TV show is the apex of entertainment and they've already cracked it!

You do know that Platige Image is a over 20 year old company that did loads of work, including movies, commercials, and even work on Wonder Woman from 2017? They have won awards for their work. They are good at what they do.
    I am aware of their history. But they are not the only VFX group out there and the only work they previously had done with Netflix was dramatically different from what I expect we'll see in the Witcher series. Not that this matters since this project had Platige attached to it long before Netflix was. Plus if the original plans for the movie had gone ahead they would have been working on it at the exact same time as they would have been working on Wonder Woman.
    If you say that there cannot be any input from the games, why is the choice of the VFX artists relevant?
    Because I don't think a production company like The Sean Daniel Company, famous for the Mummy movies with Brendan Fraser and all those awful Scorpion King movies, selects a VFX company they have never worked with before for a film based on a property that company has already worked on without looking at the work they did on that property. I also doubt that, given the type of film maker Sean Daniel is, he knew the games were based off of books before he tried to acquire the film rights.
    And, while I could have phrased it better, I never said the games should or could have any input. Read as "I read a lot of input that the original source material has, and nothing about the games in any of these articles whatsoever."
    I pointed to the history of this production as my reasoning. Are you expecting to see a line that reads "we saw how much money the games were making so we decided to make a movie"?

The video games are what made the franchise a worldwide phenomenon as I doubt it's even widely known right now that the games are based off of books. The video games have sold over 33 millions copies with around 20 million of that being just Witcher 3. The Last Wish was on the New York Times best sellers list the month following the release of Witcher 3. I'm still running into people who didn't know the games were based on a series of books and damn near every article I see on the topic of this Netflix series since the cast pictures were unveiled involve people complaining about details not being like they were in the games. This isn't complicated, it's staring you right in the face. Why you won't admit it is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    It obviously helped but when another Adam Sandler movie also comes out then they are clearly willing to give anything a go and the source material of witcher universe is sure damn better than a murder mystery with Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston so lets not pretend like a netflix TV show is the apex of entertainment and they've already cracked it!
    Definitely not the apex of entertainment, but it is a big thing in modern pop culture. I personally find most shows shallow and cringy, am not a fan. Just hoping the Witcher series won't be another immature addition to the catalog despite the ignorant wokeness of the creators. A vain hope, I know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post

And second, Triss is not a redhead. She was made a redhead for the games but in the books she has "chestnut" hair i.e. brown with reddish highlights.
    Glad someone got around to mentioning this :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

TV Geralt is too handsome.

5+ Year Old Account
    You have NO IDEA how many people I've encountered the past few days that didn't know that the games were based on books that are from Poland.

And a lot of these people consider themselves huge fans of the series.
    Maybe when the tolkien movie comes out, people will be surprised he's british n not american? Dunno, anything's possible..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I mean, I'm not huge on Eastern Europe, but "slavic" to me definitely implies black hair and a gamut of skin tones, from pale to Mediterranean features. Maybe because I think of Romania and Gypsies, idk.

It definitely doesn't imply blonde and blue eyes, which I distinctly think of as Aryan or Caucus.
    Wow, u sure despise Slavs.

Are u seriously going to pretend when the word Slav comes up, the first thing people think of isn't blonde Russians or Polaks?

I gotta say, I loved seeing few people accusing someone else in living in bubble (though his waifuing was funny), while attempting to argue that the game(s) is not the reason for the show existing. Yes, yes they are. Game was the world wide phenomenom, not books
    And yeah, it would be a really stupid choice NOT take anything from the games world. Sapkowski's frail ego will survive it. We do want the season 2 and so on, don't we?

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Damn, that entitlement.

It's been known for ages that the series will be based on the books and not the games, I'm not sure why you're still expecting anything with regards to what you see in the games.

As nice as I can be about it, get over yourself and move on. You clearly won't be watching this due to the most pathetic of reasons.

Maybe find an actual real life girl to be so hung up on.
    She's not black/brown in the books