7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Yeah, I tried reading Game of Thrones a few years before the series was a thing and just something about the way Martin writes I didn't like. Far too much focus on describing the violence and sex acts and not enough building interesting characters and worlds. Part of me thinks the biggest reason the TV series did well is because they took those 6+ pages of over indulgent detailed descriptions and turned them into a few seconds of screen time which made them much less intrusive.
    yeah, i had some friends who tried to tell me this was a master writing, to focus so much in irrelevant stuff(of course they start with the show go figure it), it looks like he want to make the book thick, i cannot like how he detail and create good characters just to kill then and cause impact, now and then work, but if the reason is just for that i call cheating

That said, I also recently tried reading The Witcher books and couldn't get into them either but I think it was more due to the way you are just dropped into the middle of the world and it is kinda confusing at first. At the time, I had other series like Sanderson's Stormlight Archives lined up to read and since I already knew I loved the way he wrote from reading Mistborn, I went with that instead. I fully intend to give The Witcher another shot at some point where as I highly doubt I will return to ASoIaF.
    it is something i want to read, iv been so busy that i can't read much, and if i do, i end up something i already did to save time, it is second in my list after Hagen von stain, kinda off topic but you have recommendations? something simple, with a protagonist, a journey and an end? i dunno, maybe like eragon, lotr

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    I mean, they abolish pretty much the source material, tore it and shit on it. The events are so completly fucked up i dont even know how they want to salvage this. They like, make something straight out of fanfiction, put a scene ripped from the books, with dialogues etc, and then go back to fanfiction. When i heard one of the characters utters the words "The time of sword and axe is night" i actually said loud "Oh go fuck yourself show!".
    they did? i though the series did a decent job adaptation, at least i read from people who read the book.

apparently was way better than the previous serie

Quote Originally Posted by Tabrotar View Post
    Wtf you´re talking about?

Nobody is buying books anymore? What are you on?

Everytime i go into a bookstore i see tons of people buying books...

Just bcs you don´t like books and don´t buy them means everyone isn´t buying books anymore ffs...
    I love books. They're my favorite form of media. Much moreso than video games. I read/am reading about 3 novels at any given time. I am also dabbling in writing a book, though my actual work sometimes makes me crunched for time on that.

I was obviously exaggerating for effect, people buy books, but when you need only 9 thousand books sold in a week to get on the NY Times Bestseller list, it's obviously a much lower sales volume than other forms of media, like, say, Star Wars which did 500 million in its opening weekend. Even music requires 500k sales to go gold, and 1 million sales to go platinum. You need to grasp nuance a little bit better, because it was fairly obvious I wasn't making an argument that no books are sold ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    it is something i want to read, iv been so busy that i can't read much, and if i do, i end up something i already did to save time, it is second in my list after Hagen von stain, kinda off topic but you have recommendations? something simple, with a protagonist, a journey and an end? i dunno, maybe like eragon, lotr
    Sure! I can toss out a few recommendations for you. As a side note, I pretty much consume all novels as audiobooks these days as a big part of my job involves lots of driving and I find listening to audiobooks to be a great way to pass the time on long drives so I will also point out any that have really good audiobooks. Up until recently, I was much more of a Sci-Fi guy than a Fantasy guy so I will include recommendations for both. In no particular order, with Goodreads links (to the first book in the series as these are all a part of multiple book series) for more info:

The Riyria Revelations by Michael J. Sullivan (LINK): Really solid fantasy series with a great pair of main characters. This was the first series I thought of since it is a pretty easy read since it is made up of six parts where each part stands on it's own while also being parts of a larger story. The audiobooks are also great and read by my favorite audiobook reader, Tim Gerard Reynolds.

The Reckoners by Brandon Sanderson (LINK): Since I stated reading fantasy, Sanderson has quickly become one of my favorite authors. This series is a little different than his usual stuff as it is a superhero story, not fantasy, but it still shows off Sanderson's amazing talent for creating interesting worlds. A three part series where each part once again stands on it's own while also making up a larger story. Pretty easy read but it is loads of fun.

Threadbare by Andrew Seiple (LINK): This was my first introduction to a genre I had no idea existed called LitRPG. The idea is it is a fantasy series where Role Playing Game tropes and mechanics are an integral part of the story. So things like a character's class, stats, and abilities as well as things like loot and quests are all a part of the plot of the series. Even among LitRPG stories, Threadbare is a unique one as the main character is actually a teddy bear brought to life. It really is unlike anything else I have read.

Red Rising by Pierce Brown (LINK): Just a great series of modern fantasy. It is a long running series and is still ongoing, but it is very much a character driven series so while there are elements that carry on from book to book, it is mostly a series of stand alone adventures that all just star the same character. It is about a wizard for hire working in modern day Chicago and all the various supernatural cases he comes across. Easy, fun read with a great main character. This series as well has great audiobook read by James Marsters who nails the character of Harry Dresden. I will say that the first couple of books, while not bad in any way, are not as great as the series gets. By book three is really where it starts to become really good.

That should get you started, if you want some more recommendations just shoot me a PM and I will give you some more. Enjoy!

7+ Year Old Account
    Sure! I can toss out a few recommendations for you. As a side note, I pretty much consume all novels as audiobooks these days as a big part of my job involves lots of driving and I find listening to audiobooks to be a great way to pass the time on long drives so I will also point out any that have really good audiobooks. Up until recently, I was much more of a Sci-Fi guy than a Fantasy guy so I will include recommendations for both.
    i can't do with audiobooks, i have dislexia and ADD, thats why i often go for simple things(and the ocd make me like the ones with chronological order, the reason i drop the discworld saga...), the books i could read when i was young was basically harry potter, eragon, percy jackson, just silly stuff, by that funny/strangely enough i do better with pdf/ebooks versions

That should get you started, if you want some more recommendations just shoot me a PM and I will give you some more. Enjoy!
    Sure thing, the first one got my attention by the cover alone

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    That's pretty much what I've found, too. The books are okay. They're not groundbreaking in any way, very run-off-the-mill fantasy fare, except for the Slavic-inspired mythology that plays into it in parts - but there's also standard Tolkien-style elements like elves and dwarves and whatnot. The storytelling is largely mundane, and there isn't really any obvious expertise going into it like there is with GRRM. The world-building is okay, but not spectacular.

The fact that the books had a "cult following" says very little, because there's a ton of series out there for which this is true.
    Tolkien didn't invent dwarves or elves. he popularized them for modern audiences (modern at the time) but he did NOT invent them. elves, dwarves, etc existed in folklore for a long LONG time for him to draw from. (random unpopular opinion. Silmarilion is horribly written encyclopedia style rubbish that's only worth it, if you are looking for incredibly technical reference for his world building in order to write interpretation of your own).

GoT is retelling of various historical events and with minor fantasy twist to it. like the main conflict between Starks and Lannisters is essentially war of the Roses. retelling of existing stories is a long standing tradition in literature. a VERY long standing tradition.

most books are not groundbreaking, the interesting part is in how they go about telling all those tales as old as time. (yeah, that was a disney quote, don't @ me.) Witcher may not be a pinnacle of writing, but not everything needs to be, IMO. IMO, its good at what it does. not best. but pretty good. and its pretty much the same way I feel about the show. its good. its enjoyable. is it perfect? not even close. but... I personaly don't require perfection in my entertainment, and its at least on par (and in some cases - better) then a number of fantasy I watched and read recently.

10+ Year Old Account
    Finally finished with this. I liked it a lot. Very much looking forward to the second season now.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    Tolkien didn't invent dwarves or elves. he popularized them for modern audiences (modern at the time) but he did NOT invent them. elves, dwarves, etc existed in folklore for a long LONG time for him to draw from. (random unpopular opinion. Silmarilion is horribly written encyclopedia style rubbish that's only worth it, if you are looking for incredibly technical reference for his world building in order to write interpretation of your own).
    I'm well aware of that. In fact he took many things whole cloth from Norse mythology, including many of the names of his dwarves.

Nevertheless, many subsequent works of fantasy draw on Tolkien's versions rather than the original materials. He established a standard for modern-day fantasy literature, despite his own drawing from many older sources.

I'm well aware of that. In fact he took many things whole cloth from Norse mythology, including many of the names of his dwarves.

Nevertheless, many subsequent works of fantasy draw on Tolkien's versions rather than the original materials. He established a standard for modern-day fantasy literature, despite his own drawing from many older sources.
    honestly? neither dwarfs not elves in Witcher evoked Tokienesque anything for me at least. now, I cannot claim for sure, but it seems to me that rather then draw from Tolkien, Sapkovski drew from the same sources Tolkien did, which giving it his own spin.

honestly? neither dwarfs not elves in Witcher evoked Tokienesque anything for me at least. now, I cannot claim for sure, but it seems to me that rather then draw from Tolkien, Sapkovski drew from the same sources Tolkien did, which giving it his own spin.
    Doubtful, as the original Norse dwarves (such as in the Poetic Edda and Prose Edda) are generally not very much like standard "fantasy dwarves" at all. For starters, the idea that they're short is largely a much later addition, probably resulting from misinterpretations of lesser character equaling lesser body height. They were associated with crafting and smithing early on, but that's about the extent of similarities with Tolkien's version, and many subsequent ones. In fact, there's good evidence that in the Norse Edda, dwarves and dark elves were the same thing.

Tolkien set the standard, but that doesn't mean that everyone draws from him directly. There's been a lot of material produced since, and while it's followed a general trend he started, that doesn't mean everything traces back to Tolkien in direct line. But there's just a lot of similarities that can be observed that do trace at least in part to Tolkien's ideas.

Out of curiosity, what exactly did they change that makes you feel so strongly that they ruined the series so badly?
    Will answer when i finish watching 2 last episodes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure thing, the first one got my attention by the cover alone
    Somehow, I guess when I previewed my post to check for spelling/grammar errors, I cut off one of the main series I wanted to recommend to you as it fit what you were looking for quite well. That being The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher (LINK) It is a long running, and still ongoing, modern fantasy series about a working wizard for hire in Chicago. Each book is a mostly stand along story of the various supernatural cases he works with some threads that tie them all together. Overall a pretty easy and enjoyable read with a great main character in Harry Dresden. The first couple of books while not bad by any means, are not as great as the series gets from book three on. Highly recommended.

Show was amazing and movied that are completely up to pair with what happens in the books are usually very dull and boring. Its 2 very different media and cant tell a story in the same way.

Its your own fault for being so naive that they would go for the exact same thing.

I guess you hated the lotr tilogy as well lol

7+ Year Old Account
    im pretty sure, and maybe i could be wrong since it was a lot of time since i read it, elves back in Norse mythology were not pretty perfect humans with point ears though, that was a tolkien thing, how he described and everyone got along using his version of elves, pretty much how tolkien trolls are different from norse trolls

Somehow, I guess when I previewed my post to check for spelling/grammar errors, I cut off one of the main series I wanted to recommend to you as it fit what you were looking for quite well. That being The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher (LINK) It is a long running, and still ongoing, modern fantasy series about a working wizard for hire in Chicago. Each book is a mostly stand along story of the various supernatural cases he works with some threads that tie them all together. Overall a pretty easy and enjoyable read with a great main character in Harry Dresden. The first couple of books while not bad by any means, are not as great as the series gets from book three on. Highly recommended.
    that seems interesting too, a lot, kinda like the thing of "hire x" to do the job and the X being the guy of the book, will give a shot, first, i will check the ones who are already finished for reasons

- - - Updated - - -

Doubtful, as the original Norse dwarves (such as in the Poetic Edda and Prose Edda) are generally not very much like standard "fantasy dwarves" at all. For starters, the idea that they're short is largely a much later addition, probably resulting from misinterpretations of lesser character equaling lesser body height. They were associated with crafting and smithing early on, but that's about the extent of similarities with Tolkien's version, and many subsequent ones. In fact, there's good evidence that in the Norse Edda, dwarves and dark elves were the same thing..
    there was elves, "light" elves, "dark" elves, and "black" elves

the light and black elves were supposed to be demons and angels, some thing like that, or just indeed a another kind of elf or being, different from the little ones who look like pixies i guess

Dark elves were another name to dwarves, or the ones who born from Freya and the dwarves(i rly on't remember everything) but Nidavellir is the dwarves home/realm and its another name to Svartalfheim helm of Svartálfar(=dwarves)

People still can see how forced diversity have the exactly opposite effect of what people want to bring, people divided, rly sad

That is not because of diversity, but because of racism. Triss is not a good cast, but hell this is way out of proportion. Somethingmolesomethingmountain.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    That is not because of diversity, but because of racism. Triss is not a good cast, but hell this is way out of proportion. Somethingmolesomethingmountain.
    not diversity, but forced

there is people who would not even care about, get angry/pissed about the forcing thing, there is people who just want to be more close to the book, there is people who indeed are what you said and jump the ship, people who defend the change for several reasons and want to fight then, and so many other variables, end up with more unnecessary conflict

That seems interesting too, a lot, kinda like the thing of "hire x" to do the job and the X being the guy of the book, will give a shot, first, i will check the ones who are already finished for reasons
    Also maybe try Jim Butchers Codex Alera, which is a fully completed 6 book fantasy series.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

not diversity, but forced

there is people who would not even care about, get angry/pissed about the forcing thing, there is people who just want to be more close to the book, there is people who indeed are what you said and jump the ship, people who defend the change for several reasons and want to fight then, and so many other variables, end up with more unnecessary conflict
    WAAH WAAH MAH TRISS ISN'T A SEX GOD LIKE IN THE GAME WAAH WAAH, SHE'S AS DESCRIBED TO LOOK LIKE IN THE BOOKS WAAH WAAH MAH FAAAAP.

Stop it, racism doens't suit you or anyone else.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    Also maybe try Jim Butchers Codex Alera, which is a fully completed 6 book fantasy series.
    the premise sounds good, i read the synopsis and find it dope, but since i have some serious problems does he learn to use the furies at all? or never use then

Quote Originally Posted by Askyl View Post
    WAAH WAAH MAH TRISS ISN'T A SEX GOD LIKE IN THE GAME WAAH WAAH, SHE'S AS DESCRIBED TO LOOK LIKE IN THE BOOKS WAAH WAAH MAH FAAAAP.

the fuck are you talking about dude? who said racism should suit someone? besides, Triss and other characters like Fringila are not like in the books

the premise sounds good, i read the synopsis and find it dope, but since i have some serious problems does he learn to use the furies at all? or never use then
    Wouldnt that spoil the read?

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Quote Originally Posted by Askyl View Post

actually what they are doing is reverse rasism.

not using correct colour of skin actors for role X just because of diversity quota.

blackwashing is real thing.

same as atacking men just because they are men and wanting to promote strong women which backfires terribly in 2018 and 2019 and all films which tried it ended up as complete flops.

because guess what - women also go to cinemas to watch handsome sexy male leads - not their own sex.

Infracted.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2019-12-30 at 06:42 PM.