Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I liked the blowgun sniper bit. And I'm tired of derping around with the Bitch King (as I've taken to calling Prince Whatsisbutt, aka Mr. Bad), it just comes off as forced and dumb. Plus those sorts of characters who are all 'yeeees, grow strong, give me sport, feed me your emorage' are so so so so tiresome, Japan really has a raging boner for that shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    getting out asses handed to us by a seemingly normal person who just ranks high in the Empire seems really stupid and honestly felt kind of forced.
    Oh just wait. You'll see. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Edit : Finished it. Was really really good. Only question I have now is...what's next ? Except for the scene with Elidibus and the Emperor which doesn't reveal much, I don't really see what will be the story behind 4.x patches.

editception : I have my idea for one of them (i.e. : Gosetsu and Yotsuyu) but that's it.
    Last edited by MrTharne; 2017-06-19 at 04:12 PM.

I did enjoy that, but after wiping the floor with so many big bads that could literally end the world.....getting out asses handed to us by a seemingly normal person who just ranks high in the Empire seems really stupid and honestly felt kind of forced. I did like Raubahns comment right after saying he had to be something special to be able to best the likes of us.

Suspension of disbelief and all that, I know, have to make it interesting but that character better have some serious narrative reason for being able to mop the floor with the Warrior of Light after we've killed Primals and a fully empowered ancient dragon that raged a war, practically unhindered, with a powerful nation for 1000 years with only half his power.
    It comes up again and again later. It's being made clear this isn't just some avg guy.... and he gets worse in a sense.

Now that I've seen more of him, Zenos is up there with Kefka as one of my favorite FF villains of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    It comes up again and again later. It's being made clear this isn't just some avg guy.... and he gets worse in a sense.

Now that I've seen more of him, Zenos is up there with Kefka as one of my favorite FF villains of all time.
    Good to know. I just finished the infamous Pipin quest where you fight him for the first time last night and had to log RIGHT after it was done so didn't get any farther than that. I'm looking forward to how it unfolds, but am glad to know he's not just some dude who inexplicably is able to wipe the floor with the Warrior of Light.

The story even up to that point is awesome, and people say it it just gets better and better so I am super hyped.

Good to know. I just finished the infamous Pipin quest where you fight him for the first time last night and had to log RIGHT after it was done so didn't get any farther than that. I'm looking forward to how it unfolds, but am glad to know he's not just some dude who inexplicably is able to wipe the floor with the Warrior of Light.

The story even up to that point is awesome, and people say it it just gets better and better so I am super hyped.
    Personally, I feel like it's phenomenally better than Heavensward and Zenos is possibly one of the best FF villains of all time. He's given enough screen time to establish just how sadistic and unhinged and just downright cruel hearted evil he is.

As to the Warrior of Light, a few things to remember:
    Hydaelyn is basically out of the picture atm. We don't have her blessing like we have in the past. She's at a pretty weak state.

Moreso, I think we get in the wrong mentality of "the Warrior of Light is a god killer, how could one man stop him?" In truth, the hero finds a way to defeat the enemies before him. If it was written in a novel, it would be a lot of injuries, narrowly avoided death blows, and slowly weakening the Primal to the point of losing aetheric condensation. You could even question if the fight drains their aetheric resources and dissolves themselves as much as we defeat them.

But I'll give the overall logic to Pippin (not Pipin): "Even the mightiest warrior can be felled by a single arrow. Boromir was pierced by many." For all our achievements, the Warriors of Light *can* still be slain by a single blade/arrow/bullet/etc.

Zenos is a coward.

Personally, I feel like it's phenomenally better than Heavensward and Zenos is possibly one of the best FF villains of all time. He's given enough screen time to establish just how sadistic and unhinged and just downright cruel hearted evil he is.

As to the Warrior of Light, a few things to remember:
    Hydaelyn is basically out of the picture atm. We don't have her blessing like we have in the past. She's at a pretty weak state.

Moreso, I think we get in the wrong mentality of "the Warrior of Light is a god killer, how could one man stop him?" In truth, the hero finds a way to defeat the enemies before him. If it was written in a novel, it would be a lot of injuries, narrowly avoided death blows, and slowly weakening the Primal to the point of losing aetheric condensation. You could even question if the fight drains their aetheric resources and dissolves themselves as much as we defeat them.

But I'll give the overall logic to Pippin (not Pipin): "Even the mightiest warrior can be felled by a single arrow. Boromir was pierced by many." For all our achievements, the Warriors of Light *can* still be slain by a single blade/arrow/bullet/etc.
    While true, we've never been completely shut down and ineffective in a fight against a mortal person before. Things like the Ascians, Ultima Weapon, Primals, dragons, great wyrms, etc... are a little different. We're lauded as paragons of our respective martial art, incredibly tough and resilient, transcending most expectations of what would normally be considered possible so in a 1v1 fight up to this point, we've been unstoppable, so to all of a sudden have a person be able to absolutely demolish us is both confusing and intriguing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobotripin View Post
    Zenos is a coward.
    Not really, but okay.

Quote Originally Posted by MrTharne View Post
    Not really, but okay.
    How is he not?

How is he not?
    What remotely makes you say he is?

He feels a commander's place is on the battlefield, not hiding in an office.
    He marches into battle with his forces.
    He intentionally and eagerly engages in combat himself and only with whoever seems to be the strongest.
    If anyone is too weak, he has no interest in them (though that may mean he walks away or he might outright kill them).
    He's intentionally wanting rebellion, he wants the people that are subjugated to be so fueled by hate that they'll fight back just so he can crush them again.

He actively wants to be engaged in combat with the strongest he can find.

What makes him a coward? Though I'm only at level 66 closing in on 67. Just met up with Hien.

- - - Updated - - -

While true, we've never been completely shut down and ineffective in a fight against a mortal person before. Things like the Ascians, Ultima Weapon, Primals, dragons, great wyrms, etc... are a little different. We're lauded as paragons of our respective martial art, incredibly tough and resilient, transcending most expectations of what would normally be considered possible so in a 1v1 fight up to this point, we've been unstoppable, so to all of a sudden have a person be able to absolutely demolish us is both confusing and intriguing.
    There's enough times that we get hit by mortals and get knocked back from the attack. We block it, but we don't stand like a wall. I've never felt the game's given me the impression that I'm nigh a god among mortals, just a vaunted champion of accomplished battles. The only thing that stands out is the echo granted immunity to Primals' control.

One could heap similar praise on a number of our companions outside the Primal factor.

They've made it clear Zenos is unusually strong and shockingly powerful. Like you said, intriguing (and once you're done with Ruby Sea and far enough into the next zone... it gets worse from a story perspective).

15+ Year Old Account
    People should really play with their music on.

When you first meet Hien, the heir to the throne of Doma, Cyan's theme from FFVI plays. Lots of my friends/FC mates said they didn't know cause they either play with music off or just weren't paying attention.

It's more instrumental and not 16 bit, but it is unmistakably Cyan's theme. Anyone who's played FFVI knows Cyan is the king of Doma and Doma is overthrown by the empire (namely, kefka poisoning their water supply to kill most of them).

Hien also talks a lot about his father, wouldn't surprise me if they drop that Hien's father's name was Cyan. Not to say that it would be the SAME Cyan or Doma, but they've directly ripped a lot of lore/stories from other games and inserted.

I'm looking for someone to upload the FFXIV of Cyan/Hien's theme, as it's a lot prettier, and was like "oh I bet the physical CE comes with a sound track". ... Nope. I guess it comes out later... for $50, like with HW.

Then again, I seem to remember data miners got the entire sound track for heavensward ripped out of the files a few weeks after its release, so hopefully that pops up soon.
    Last edited by Cthulhu 2020; 2017-06-20 at 04:00 AM.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Yeah, I loved when I heard that play.

Here's a fan orchestrated version that's pretty darn good.

For $50, though, you still get really high value on the FFXIV soundtracks. Blurays are high quality with massive amounts of music.

1.0 was 104 tracks
    2.0 was 120 tracks and Sokken's tracks are fairly long, not the 2 minutes or less of many FF OSTs. (some were from 1.0 though, but still used in A Realm Reborn, so they're on both)
    After the Fall was 63 tracks, though, but still the same price, so I could understand griping that the patch OSTs should cost less.
    3.0 was 60 tracks as well. Less than 2.0, but still that's a lot of music where CDs used to be about $15 for 10-12 tracks. They're basically charging you just over 83 cents a song, equal to most mp3 purchases.

I don't know about the newest one, though. I haven't bought it yet.
    Last edited by Faroth; 2017-06-20 at 04:49 AM.

I don't know about the newest one, though. I haven't bought it yet.
    Newest as in 'The Far Edge of Fate' OST? If so, that's 50 tracks in total.

What remotely makes you say he is?

He feels a commander's place is on the battlefield, not hiding in an office.
    He marches into battle with his forces.
    He intentionally and eagerly engages in combat himself and only with whoever seems to be the strongest.
    If anyone is too weak, he has no interest in them (though that may mean he walks away or he might outright kill them).
    He's intentionally wanting rebellion, he wants the people that are subjugated to be so fueled by hate that they'll fight back just so he can crush them again.

He actively wants to be engaged in combat with the strongest he can find.

What makes him a coward? Though I'm only at level 66 closing in on 67. Just met up with Hien.

- - - Updated - - -

There's enough times that we get hit by mortals and get knocked back from the attack. We block it, but we don't stand like a wall. I've never felt the game's given me the impression that I'm nigh a god among mortals, just a vaunted champion of accomplished battles. The only thing that stands out is the echo granted immunity to Primals' control.

One could heap similar praise on a number of our companions outside the Primal factor.

They've made it clear Zenos is unusually strong and shockingly powerful. Like you said, intriguing (and once you're done with Ruby Sea and far enough into the next zone... it gets worse from a story perspective).
    I won't spoil the ending for you but the reason I say it is because of the last cutscene.

I won't spoil the ending for you but the reason I say it is because of the last cutscene.
    Well. That's likely to spur a debate that has nothing to do with FFXIV. I don't have that opinion about it myself.

Also keeping quiet. I'd be talking a lot more. I know that we're free to do so in this thread... but because of the debacle I know that I was very far ahead of most of the population.

I was literally the only person in Kugane for days. Zones I was spawning had like 8 people in them. Based on the look of Kugane, and a larger variety of people in the expert roulette, I'd say that most people should be caught up by tonight or tomorrow.

I will say that I loved the story though. So many cutscenes with feels.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurimas View Post
    Well. That's likely to spur a debate that has nothing to do with FFXIV. I don't have that opinion about it myself.

Also keeping quiet. I'd be talking a lot more. I know that we're free to do so in this thread... but because of the debacle I know that I was very far ahead of most of the population.

I was literally the only person in Kugane for days. Zones I was spawning had like 8 people in them. Based on the look of Kugane, and a larger variety of people in the expert roulette, I'd say that most people should be caught up by tonight or tomorrow.

I will say that I loved the story though. So many cutscenes with feels.
    I would argue it depends on the situation, I understand where you're coming from though, I'll pm you my opinion on the matter and maybe you'll understand my pov.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Batman View Post
    People should really play with their music on.

When you first meet Hien, the heir to the throne of Doma, Cyan's theme from FFVI plays. Lots of my friends/FC mates said they didn't know cause they either play with music off or just weren't paying attention.

It's more instrumental and not 16 bit, but it is unmistakably Cyan's theme. Anyone who's played FFVI knows Cyan is the king of Doma and Doma is overthrown by the empire (namely, kefka poisoning their water supply to kill most of them).

Hien also talks a lot about his father, wouldn't surprise me if they drop that Hien's father's name was Cyan. Not to say that it would be the SAME Cyan or Doma, but they've directly ripped a lot of lore/stories from other games and inserted.

I'm looking for someone to upload the FFXIV of Cyan/Hien's theme, as it's a lot prettier, and was like "oh I bet the physical CE comes with a sound track". ... Nope. I guess it comes out later... for $50, like with HW.

Then again, I seem to remember data miners got the entire sound track for heavensward ripped out of the files a few weeks after its release, so hopefully that pops up soon.
    One caveat: Cyan was retainer to the king of Doma, not the actual king himself. Hien's father is Kaien, I believe they said?

Funny, you had the right of it. Cyan in Japanese release of FF6 is called Cayenne. Those sneaky cheeky bastards.

Soon as that music started playing, my jaw dropped. FF6 was the last main series FF game I played up until this one, so the nostalgia for that game is strong with me. The amount of references/nods to 6 within this expansion have had me giddy more than once.
    Last edited by Kazgrel; 2017-06-21 at 06:26 AM.

Deleted
    The MSQ was really good, much better than HW in my opinion.
    I liked the fact that I could ignore nearly every side quest too and still have enough XP to continue.

Last Trial is scary though, I'm glad I've beaten it, because people are assholes in this game more than I had thought they were.
    You wipe once - they leave.
    Had to requeue 4 times because of fuckers like them. (which is painful, as a DD).

Anyway. Zenos has a pretty amazing VA if I might say so, this became clearer and clearer towards the end.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZee View Post
    The MSQ was really good, much better than HW in my opinion.
    I liked the fact that I could ignore nearly every side quest too and still have enough XP to continue.

Last Trial is scary though, I'm glad I've beaten it, because people are assholes in this game more than I had thought they were.
    You wipe once - they leave.
    Had to requeue 4 times because of fuckers like them. (which is painful, as a DD).

Anyway. Zenos has a pretty amazing VA if I might say so, this became clearer and clearer towards the end.
    Yeah people at launch seem to have this mentality of "you must know what to do in content on day 1". It's moronic at best. I remember people crying in Weeping on wipes on day 1. And Creator too.

Personally I do like to get my content done. But I understand if people are new and I'll do my best to guide them unless I'm new to it as well. Although if people get all moody with being helped or pull the "you don't pay my sub" line I immediately stop helping. I don't help ignorance. I help people who are willing and appreciative.

Deleted
    The thing is, the last boss as a mechanic that can wipe you after 5 seconds. If you don't know what to do and no one tells the new guy, he will probably die unless he is aware of what the rest of the team is doing at that point.

And when people leave after *that*, it's just annoying.
    If people leave after the 2nd wipe @ 35% or something, it's even more annoying.

I mean - that's superb progress... I can't stand it when people are getting pissed because of a single wipe or two. No need to try this for 90m.. but at least give it a couple of tries when progress is being made.
    During my MSQ run in Castrum Abania, we wiped at the end boss. Once! - people didn't know what to do. Everything before that, first try, very fluid progression, mobs and pulls were swiftly killed and it was a quick run.

And when we wiped, the healer got all pissed about how we "fucking suck" and that he "is the new guy" and not us.

If I could, I would have punched him in the face right there. How freaking toxxic can a single human being be? Makes me believe they/he suffers from a mental illness. Socially awkward imbeciles, all of them!
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2017-06-21 at 01:24 PM.