10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    No he doesn't. He's an unrepentant liar. Why pretend he doesn't know he's lying?
    I'd say there's a 7/10 chance that Trump doesn't really know exactly what's going on, period.

Anyone that's told him the legal trouble he's in has probably been dismissed for telling him "fake news."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    Not only that, but all those businesses that left California for Texas... did not seem to harm California - others just rose to replace them. And the California businesses that moved to Texas are part of the reason that Texas is becoming purplish.

If Texas could JUST GET ANOTHER SET OF BUSINESSES TO MIGRATE FROM CALIFORNIA TO TEXAS. California would not be hurt, and Texas would be much improved as it went past purple to flat out blue.
    It's almost as if businesses will rise up to take advantage of the tremendous amount of capital that California has when others leave, and that that capital (innovation, largest concentration of the best colleges in the US, etc) is one of the most important factors of California's prosperity, and not things like the singular "fewer regulations" or "laxer taxes" that Texas brings.

hmmm... laxer texas taxes, laxer texas taxes, laxer texas taxes...
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    Not only that, but all those businesses that left California for Texas... did not seem to harm California - others just rose to replace them. And the California businesses that moved to Texas are part of the reason that Texas is becoming purplish.

If Texas could JUST GET ANOTHER SET OF BUSINESSES TO MIGRATE FROM CALIFORNIA TO TEXAS. California would not be hurt, and Texas would be much improved as it went past purple to flat out blue.
    To be something of a Devil's Advocate here: California is wealthy as absolute fuck, but the wealth inequality and rising cost of living /are/ a huge problem for the state's money making cities, and they should do what they can to address that because it inevitably becomes unsustainable when the people working lower end jobs can't even afford to live in the city they work in anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    To be something of a Devil's Advocate here: California is wealthy as absolute fuck, but the wealth inequality and rising cost of living /are/ a huge problem for the state's money making cities, and they should do what they can to address that because it inevitably becomes unsustainable when the people working lower end jobs can't even afford to live in the city they work in anymore.
    I concur wholeheartedly that income inequality is an issue.

These massive companies literally buying up chunks of the city for private development and driving up prices should be made to invest heavily in the city's overall development.

San Jose is a prime example of a town that's being bought up by billion dollar companies like Apple and Google that are causing housing and rent prices to skyrocket, all whilst San Jose itself remains an overall crusty city.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I concur wholeheartedly that income inequality is an issue.

These massive companies literally buying up chunks of the city for private development and driving up prices should be made to invest heavily in the city's overall development.

San Jose is a prime example of a town that's being bought up by billion dollar companies like Apple and Google that are causing housing and rent prices to skyrocket, all whilst San Jose itself remains an overall crusty city.
    It's not just companies.

It's also China. Lots of buildings either sit empty or are rented / sold only to Chinese nationals living abroad for absurdly high prices that then are listed in the MLS services that jack up the prices in the neighborhood. It's a good place for them to sit their money because it's "safe" away from the Chinese government and they know they can liquidate fairly easily.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    It's not just companies.

It's also China. Lots of buildings either sit empty or are rented / sold only to Chinese nationals living abroad for absurdly high prices that then are listed in the MLS services that jack up the prices in the neighborhood. It's a good place for them to sit their money because it's "safe" away from the Chinese government and they know they can liquidate fairly easily.
    Yep. That's certainly the case with a lot of rental properties, again in San Jose in particular.

A lot of these properties are very outdated and poorly kept up (Air conditioning and dishwashers are considered a luxury) and yet go for insane rental prices. Because the people that own them have no incentive to update them, as housing is such a rare commodity there. There's no real competition, especially if an individual wants to not live in the really crusty areas of a city.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

https://theweek.com/speedreads/87616...ap-power-tools

So...you can climb any wall. You can tunnel under any wall. You can cut through any wall.

What's the fucking point of this, again?

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

So...you can climb any wall. You can tunnel under any wall. You can cut through any wall.

It's a safety blanket for his cultists.

10+ Year Old Account

It makes it known to brown people that they're not wanted in the USA. Or, at least by Trump and his cult.

It was always about sending a message. I don't for a minute think Trump thought it would actually accomplish anything. I mean, pursuing the matter with his sycophants on this board would produce the exact same conclusion.

"We're totally for legal immigration, we just need to stop the illegal immigrants from coming to the US before we doing anything about asylum seekers, legal immigrants, or refugees. BUILD THE WALL!"
    "The wall wouldn't keep out immigrants; many illegal immigrants came in legally and overstayed their visas which the wall wouldn't prevent, and even those that don't could always go over or under it."
    "Well the wall is supposed to SHOW that Trump is taking a hard stance on immigration and wont tolerate mexico sending immigrants!"
    "But he's not actually doing anything about it, and Mexico isn't going to pay for it"
    "well it sends a good MESSAGE that we don't want the immigrants!"
    "You're going to sign a blank check for billions in Taxpayer money in the hopes of 'sending a message?'"
    "MAGA! Silly liberal cuck, tired of getting all the owning Trump is doing!?!"

That's basically the chain of thought.

Honestly I think the failure of Trump's wall could warrant its own thread. I'd love to hear the excuses being made by the Trumpkins about it, specifically, rather than them being allowed to turn away from the light being shown in their eyes yet again by having it get lost in the overall shityness of his presidency.

It's worth pointing out the more specific, damning failures, in my opinion, lest we allow the Trumpkins to ignore them.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2019-11-04 at 07:05 AM.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a larger scale Confederate monument.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    It's a larger scale Confederate monument.
    I think it'll be an eventually fitting monument to the Trump presidency... derelict, incomplete, uncared for, sitting destitute, cut to pieces and moldering out in the desert.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    This is a MAJOR MAJOR problem in every wealthy area of the country. It's a big problem in Seattle, and Austin Texas also is starting to have the same kinds of issues.

I am at a loss for how to deal with the situation. The pattern seems to be: IT jobs (or other high paying jobs) come to a city. Outsiders send in 3-10 resumes for every job created because they are looking to find somewhere cheaper to live. Few locals get the new high paying jobs. The price of everything skyrockets, driving them out of the city into areas where they have VERY long commutes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoBurning View Post
    Worth noting that "Make America Great Again" also appeared in 2013's Metal Gear Rising Revengeance. Nothing Trump has is even kind of original. Probably a coincidence, but still hilarious.
    So the 2020 slogan for Trump will be "Putin, squeeze my hog" then?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post

Where to begin.... You know what, it isn't worth it. I'll just laugh at the resurgence of covfefe being some secret code.
    I just wonder what the "deep meaning" is.

Seriously, Trump would look like half the idiot he is if he'd just own up to some of the little mistakes he made. Covfefe blew up because it was one of those stupid things he refused to own up and then we all laughed at him. Had he just said "yeah it was a typo, I meant ____" then it'd have gone away. But his ego gets in the way of even simple shit like that.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/04/trum...urns-case.html

On to the Supreme Court. We'll see if they even take the case.
    The SCOTUS will be unanimous in that he is not above the law.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

10+ Year Old Account
    In other words, they won't take the case as it has no merit.
    SCOTUS takes cases at times to establish reliable precedent. If they want to answer this "is the President above the law" question concretely, they'll take the case and then issue a fairly summary judgement, which will forevermore establish solid precedent that lower courts can act upon.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/04/trum...urns-case.html

On to the Supreme Court. We'll see if they even take the case.
    Call me optimistic, but I doubt Roberts wants to be the head judge of the SCOTUS that set the precedent that the President is entirely above the law.

It would too easily set the stage for absolute abuses of power.

10+ Year Old Account
    I’m just glad Kavanaugh isn’t the chief justice.
    Anyone with an ounce of self preservation would rule against Trump.

Else, what's to stop the next President from deciding they don't like the current make up of the SCOTUS and have the judges they don't like removed by whatever means?

The president is above the law while in office, remember? What's to stop them.

To rule in Trump's favor would be to recreate the exact problem that led to the collapse of the Roman Republic and that saw dictatorial emperors installed instead.

US V Nixon took about 2 months to make it's way through the Supreme Court for reference.

We'll see if the court considers this settled law (doubtful) or if they drag their feet in this process.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Anyone with an ounce of self preservation would rule against Trump.

Else, what's to stop the next President from deciding they don't like the current make up of the SCOTUS and have the judges they don't like removed by whatever means?

The president is above the law while in office, remember? What's to stop them.

To rule in Trump's favor would be to recreate the exact problem that led to the collapse of the Roman Republic and that saw dictatorial emperors installed instead.
    That last line, would be preserving them though, wouldn't it? I mean, it would change the republic into a dictatorship and make away with any possible democrat becoming president.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    That last line, would be preserving them though, wouldn't it? I mean, it would change the republic into a dictatorship and make away with any possible democrat becoming president.
    I mean, Ceasar came in as a Reform Faction dictator, and a few Preatorian guard encounters later, the Ceasar-Octavian line was replaced egomaniacal conservatives for a few decades before another couple of Preatorian mishaps set in another group of reformers.

To think they'd rule forever is folly.